Question for you folks

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Question for you folks

As an outsider, it sure looks like Atlanta is doing some nice things. The playoffs can't be too far off.

This may sound weird, cause it's just a question of circumstance, but do you folks think the following trade scenario would be considered by your GM?

From the Islanders:
Roman Hamrlik
To the Islanders:
Defensemen Sutton and Kloucek

?????????????????

Farfetched???

Old
08-13-2004, 12:02 PM
ATLThrashers15

I dont think so, because it really doesnt benefit either team. Sutton's and Hamrlik's are ALMOST identical. Sutton is a year younger than Roman. I dont see this happening at all. Also, Sutton is signed for this year making $1 million, I think Hamrlik will garner more than that because he is still a RFA.

Old
08-13-2004, 12:27 PM
KFC

This would be a Good trade for the thrashers Hamerlik is much better than sutton or kloucek the only problem would be wether atlanta is willing to pay hamerlik because hes due for a substansial probaly simliar to what ninnima got but besides that it would be great he would be the best d-man on the team instantly

for the islanders... well it gives them cheep depth on the defense which is good and seeing how they were probaly going to lose hamerlik because they can't afford to keep the big 4 together this isnt a bad trade.... BUT i do believe they could get more for hamerlik than this and they should because he is a great puck moving defensman

so its a great deal for the thrashers but the isles are shortchanged on this one and they could definantly get a better offer from another team

Old
08-13-2004, 12:45 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

The Thrashers do not have enough depth on the blue line to do a two for one deal with blueliners. I think it is a pretty even deal though, perhaps a bit sided towards the Isles.

Old
08-13-2004, 12:52 PM
KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
The Thrashers do not have enough depth on the blue line to do a two for one deal with blueliners. I think it is a pretty even deal though, perhaps a bit sided towards the Isles.
well kloucek is hurt all the time anyway so its really 1 and 1/2

but if anything the isles are getting shafted because they could do allot better then sutton and kloucek

Old
08-13-2004, 01:29 PM
ATLThrashers15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC
well kloucek is hurt all the time anyway so its really 1 and 1/2

but if anything the isles are getting shafted because they could do allot better then sutton and kloucek
I think you vastly over rate Hamrlik. Sutton had more goals than Hamrlik and although Hamrlik had 8 more points than Suts, Hamrlik also played in 17 more games. The average ice time per game is also with in a minute of each other. I still say Sutton and Hamrlik are too close, and even if Hamrlik is better than Sutton, Sutton is $3 million cheaper than Hamrlik. If all things equal, or close to equal as they are, I take the cheaper player.

Also, did I mention Sutton is 6-6, 245 and Hamrlik is 6-2 210? Thats 4 inches, and 35 pounds. I say its a no brainer.

Old
08-16-2004, 11:51 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLThrashers15
I think you vastly over rate Hamrlik. Sutton had more goals than Hamrlik and although Hamrlik had 8 more points than Suts, Hamrlik also played in 17 more games. The average ice time per game is also with in a minute of each other. I still say Sutton and Hamrlik are too close, and even if Hamrlik is better than Sutton, Sutton is $3 million cheaper than Hamrlik. If all things equal, or close to equal as they are, I take the cheaper player.

Also, did I mention Sutton is 6-6, 245 and Hamrlik is 6-2 210? Thats 4 inches, and 35 pounds. I say its a no brainer.

That's all good analyzing Thrashers15, but I assume you're not taking Hamrlik's career into consideration. It seems like you're just looking at last season, which was Sutton's best and pretty much Hamrlik's worst. Hamr suffered under being one of 4 offensively capable Dmen. In addition, you're not taking into account that Hamrlik's team was better in the standings and that's despite having missed their two best offensive players for stretches of over 20 games. Also, Hamrlik had 3 strong defenseman next to him also eating up huge chunks of ice time. Looking at Sutton's pointage and ice time in comparison to Hamrlik's is not all-telling, you see. Hamrlik only had 11 points, all assists after 41 games. He didn't come alive until the end of the season. Still, I don't think many people would disagree that Hamrlik would automatically be Atlanta's most established defenseman and the type of power play player that Heatley, Savard and Kovalchuk are in desperate need of.

The problem on Long Island is both a financial one and one of too many defensemen of the same ilk. True, if Waddell were to consider this, he'd know for sure that he's looking to take on a $4 million dollar player. That player has a world of experience and with your top 5 forwards, would most likely be looking at 45+ pointland. He is good. But as KFC pointed out, the Islanders would be looking to get rid of him because of how much their other big three cost. That's most likely why Waddell would be able to get away with it for my suggested proposal.

I see Trottier suggested pretty much the same type of thing in a proposal right thereafter. Guess we're on the same wavelength.

What Sutton brings is what you mentioned - size, and a whole lot of it. He could be the monster we need and don't have. Is his potential that of being a player in Hamrlik's class? Most likely not, especially not offensively. Of course, don't forget what Hamrlik's many years of experience could mean in fostering your Coburn!

I think KFC's analysis of such a possibility was pretty much right on the money. I personally think Waddell would make the aforementioned deal in a milosecond if he were to have the financial OK of the owner.

By the way, I'm sure many Islander fans would call me or Trottier NUTSOES for even suggesting this trade!

Closed Thread