HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Tyutin signs 6 yr deal

Old
09-01-2011, 07:06 AM
BluejacketNut

vCash: 500
As mentioned, we certainly didnt get a home town discount...this was market price. I really wish they would put a 5 year cap on contracts in the new CBA, not a fan of the longer contracts. But i fear this rules out any chance of a #1 dman for the next few years....no way we're going to spend $6m on another defensman, which would be the minimum price for one.

Certainly not against keeping him around, but dont like the length

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 07:10 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplyr814 View Post
This. I just don't understand the love for Tyutin. I mean its not that he isn't capable of being a decent defensemen, and he does do some good things every once in a while, he just makes so many mistakes that he just isn't worth keeping in the ice.
Tell that to the Russian national team... I would like to see a bunch of Russians laughing and pointing at you... Would amuse me to no end.

The NHL doesn't agree with you. For some reason I'll take them over you. Weird I know.

On a serious note, I said it's a lot of money to throw at him. But this hyperbole people invent to describe him is just pure lunacy.

Someone mentioned blowing up in our face. He's been very consistent (that includes some inconsistency) throughout his time here. We know what we're getting. Unless he decides he has his contract and just wants to show up, which I don't think will happen, we pretty much know what we're going to get. At least for the next 4+ years, or unless injury hits him (which happens to many players).

Last edited by blahblah: 09-01-2011 at 07:15 AM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

His turnover problems seemed to have halted last year a good bit. after most of a day to think about it, still say 4.5 is good money...maybe a year or too much, but it ends when he's 34...so a good contract overall...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:19 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
His turnover problems seemed to have halted last year a good bit. after most of a day to think about it, still say 4.5 is good money...maybe a year or too much, but it ends when he's 34...so a good contract overall...
In that final year, Toots will be 34 and be paid $4mil. Not chump change, to be sure, but what will the average salary be for a player like him in 2018 (just shocked myself by writing a year like that! Where's the time going?)?

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
I agree and actually spit water on my keyboard when I saw this announcement. Six years at THAT cap hit for a strong #3 d-man? Maybe if he was younger.... I like Tyutin but this is just getting way out of hand.

This is what I'm talking about overpaying every single player. One million more for a Seabrook or a Keith? Christ you might as well give Umberger six million, its a madhouse in here.
Do you see the irony in complaining about a 6 year deal, and then looking favorably at Duncan Keith's 9 (I believe) year deal.

Bottom line for me is that Tyutin would EASILY gotten that contract as a UFA, and the Jackets don't have an internal candidate ready to replace him. Howson did a smart move, and preemptively locked him up before dealing from a position of weakness after Tyutin signed elsewhere on 7/1/12.

Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Wiz @ 6yrs
Tyutin @ 7yrs
Methot @ 4yrs

That leaves 4 D slots for Clitsome, Russell, Moore, Savard, Goloubef, Holden, and Johnson to challenge for and to step up and take over the course of the next couple of years. Competition is a very good thing. The rest of the prospects are probably further away.

And if the unlikely happens and they all prove to be NHL capable then it is a nice set of assets to have available. What team in the NHL isn't looking for young promising defensemen?

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:49 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Do you see the irony in complaining about a 6 year deal, and then looking favorably at Duncan Keith's 9 (I believe) year deal.

Bottom line for me is that Tyutin would EASILY gotten that contract as a UFA, and the Jackets don't have an internal candidate ready to replace him. Howson did a smart move, and preemptively locked him up before dealing from a position of weakness after Tyutin signed elsewhere on 7/1/12.
Duncan Keith is also one of the top defenceman in the league. The reason the term is so high, is solely because of the low cap hit. You can't compare Fedor Tyutin to Duncan Keith, the difference in talent is dramatic.

I challenge that assumption that Fedor Tyutin would get a better offer in Free Agency. I really can't see a team, that would be willing to give that term and cap hit unless his play dramatically improves. To me, this is basically a UFA signing, and compared to re-signing like Pitkanen at 4.5, this looks silly.

Don't get me wrong I like Tyutin and think he is a great player, warming up to the deal although I think at 6 years 4.0 million should have been enough with that term considering solid defenseman usually dont get that kind of term. Yes I know it isn't a grave overpay, but when you have many players on your roster, overpaid by 250-500k, it adds up to your team missing a very good roster player. Like many have previously mentioned 3-4 years would have been more suitable term I'd think.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

It's unfair to compare this contract to Duncan Keith's ... other than the yearly rate, they are hardly similar. Keith signed the contract he signed because he wanted to stay with a contender in Chicago ... and they gave him the 9 year term because they wanted to keep him in Chicago, and knew with a longer term they could spread out the same dollar figure, over a longer period of time, that he could get by signing a 4 or 5 year deal elsewhere.

To get a guy like Keith here, we would have easily had to drop $7-$8 million a year ... I'd be willing to bet on that. Putting it in that retrospect, this contract isn't all that bad ... we keep a guy around that wants to be in the mix.

I'm not a huge fan of Tyutin, but this deal works for me.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:48 AM
blahblah

Are we still trying to compare Keith's and Tyutin's contracts? Maybe this will make you feel better.

Keith Tyutin

10-11 8.0 million / 3.0 Million (Old Contract)
11-12 8.0 million / 3.425 Million (Old Contract)
12-13 8.0 million / 4.0 Million (Starting new)
13-14 7.65 million / 4.5 Million
14-15 7.6 million / 4.75 Million
15-16 7.5 million / 5.0 Million
16-17 6.0 million / 4.75 Million
17-18 5.0 million / 4.0 Million

So quick calculations - New Contact Only...

Keith - 41.75 Million
Tyutin - 22.725 Million

That doesn't include the 16 Million .vs. 6.425 Million the first two (old contract).

Yeah, Tyutin and Keith are soooooooooooooooooooooooooo close.... Only somewhere between 19 and 29 million apart over 6 to 8 years.... 6 would be an average of 3 million + per year.

By close I think we might mean a couple of light years.

The only reason the cap numbers are close is because we don't have a salary for Tyutin gradually going down to 1.5 million in 2022-23. It's called cap management, something we don't do in C-Bus.

Old
09-01-2011, 10:13 AM
CrazyCanucks

Found this interesting... I checked Capgeek and the CBJ have 6 players with 4 years or more

Quote:
@TSNResearch
Kevin Gibson
Only 2 teams have more long term deals (4yrs and longer) then CBJ, CHI and FLA both with 7. The Dale Tallon influence

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Duncan Keith is also one of the top defenceman in the league. The reason the term is so high, is solely because of the low cap hit. You can't compare Fedor Tyutin to Duncan Keith, the difference in talent is dramatic.

I challenge that assumption that Fedor Tyutin would get a better offer in Free Agency. I really can't see a team, that would be willing to give that term and cap hit unless his play dramatically improves. To me, this is basically a UFA signing, and compared to re-signing like Pitkanen at 4.5, this looks silly.

Don't get me wrong I like Tyutin and think he is a great player, warming up to the deal although I think at 6 years 4.0 million should have been enough with that term considering solid defenseman usually dont get that kind of term. Yes I know it isn't a grave overpay, but when you have many players on your roster, overpaid by 250-500k, it adds up to your team missing a very good roster player. Like many have previously mentioned 3-4 years would have been more suitable term I'd think.
Definetely agree that the overpayments add up. I see guys who are good 2nd pair d-men get $4.5M contracts in 2010 before the cap went up another $3M. A guy like Hamhuis is a good comparison IMO. A very good 2nd pair guy, who would be over his head on the 1st pair, and he got 5 years and $4.5M.

My point with Keith is that he has one of those really long front loaded contracts which reduces the cap hit - so a straight comparison between Tyutin and Keith (or a more recent UFA signing like Erhoff for that matter) is misleading. I think that Keith is making $8M cash money this year.

I think you really need to take a look at the caliber of players that are making it to UFA status. In 2011, there were only 3 legit upper end UFA's d-men that actually changed teams, (Wiz, Kaberle, Erhoff) and the demand for two of them was so hight that the teams traded for negotiating rights with two of them. I take that to mean that those guys are really in demand. A flawed guy like Kaberle just got a 3 year deal that takes him until he's 36 years old, and he's making $4.25M per year. I don't see a problem giving a guy who has stayed healthy his entire career a deal that takes him until he's 34 years old.

I think that Tyutin play suffers a little because he is truly a very good #3 (or maybe a decent #2), who was asked to be a #1. That definetely impacts his play.

Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:19 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Wiz @ 6yrs
Tyutin @ 7yrs
Methot @ 4yrs

That leaves 4 D slots for Clitsome, Russell, Moore, Savard, Goloubef, Holden, and Johnson to challenge for and to step up and take over the course of the next couple of years. Competition is a very good thing. The rest of the prospects are probably further away.

And if the unlikely happens and they all prove to be NHL capable then it is a nice set of assets to have available. What team in the NHL isn't looking for young promising defensemen?
Or trade

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:23 AM
CrazyCanucks

Here was an article in one of the daily newspaper blogs in Vancouver about the CBJ D. This is probably the 1st time I have seen a story about the CBJ like this in the Vancouver blogs, even though this article is a little slanted.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/08...iocre-defence/

Quote:
And the crazy part? Columbus’ defence doesn’t look much better than it did a year ago. Better? Yes. Overwhelmingly better? Can’t see it. The core of Wiz, Tyutin, Methot, Martinek, Russell and Clitsome is “serviceable” with the potential to be “good.” (*makes air quotes with fingers*) John Moore, Columbus’ first-round pick in 2009, could be ready to make the jump, even though he’s only 20 years old. But after forking over $70 million in a wild two-month spending spree, wouldn’t you expect a bit of a higher ceiling?

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
Here was an article in one of the daily newspaper blogs in Vancouver about the CBJ D. This is probably the 1st time I have seen a story about the CBJ like this in the Vancouver blogs, even though this article is a little slanted.

Well, at least they managed to identify everybody correctly.

...except Savard, but, hey, CBJ prospects. Nobody ever knows 'em.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 11:31 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Definetely agree that the overpayments add up. I see guys who are good 2nd pair d-men get $4.5M contracts in 2010 before the cap went up another $3M. A guy like Hamhuis is a good comparison IMO. A very good 2nd pair guy, who would be over his head on the 1st pair, and he got 5 years and $4.5M.

My point with Keith is that he has one of those really long front loaded contracts which reduces the cap hit - so a straight comparison between Tyutin and Keith (or a more recent UFA signing like Erhoff for that matter) is misleading. I think that Keith is making $8M cash money this year.

I think you really need to take a look at the caliber of players that are making it to UFA status. In 2011, there were only 3 legit upper end UFA's d-men that actually changed teams, (Wiz, Kaberle, Erhoff) and the demand for two of them was so hight that the teams traded for negotiating rights with two of them. I take that to mean that those guys are really in demand. A flawed guy like Kaberle just got a 3 year deal that takes him until he's 36 years old, and he's making $4.25M per year. I don't see a problem giving a guy who has stayed healthy his entire career a deal that takes him until he's 34 years old.

I think that Tyutin play suffers a little because he is truly a very good #3 (or maybe a decent #2), who was asked to be a #1. That definetely impacts his play.
I think calling Tyutin a decent #2 is a bit of a stretch although far from ridiculous. In that case his contract is well warranted in fact would be a steal in a few years. I agree whole heartedly that he has been asked to do well too much which I'm sure accounts for a fair amount of the turnovers many complain about. Ideally, Tyutin should not have to be your best defenseman, or especially your power play quarterback period.

I would take Hamhuis over Tyutin 10 days a week, I know thats only one comparison, and I get your point but alot of these Bieksa/Hamhuis/Pitkanen/Michalek/Martin types who are getting 4.5 I just think are better hockey players. Also, it is well speculated that Hamhuis took a paycut to play for the Canucks. Kaberle is close cause of age, however even though his defensive game is questionable he is a legit 50 pt PPQB d-man making less on half the term. Even if he declines a bit, I think Carolina got an ok deal for UFA.

You're right in that its hard to compare Keith and Tyutin, but we live in a cap world, and that 5.5 on Keith allows Chicago to get another impact player, which lessens the opposition chances of winning. CBJ is on a bigger budget now, and if they get better and people start showing up, I don't see why they don't become a cap team too.

BTW Blah, I'm not going to bother, if you are going to make a comparison, try showing the entire contract instead of spreading misinformation.

Quote:

Thats just like their opinion, man......

Old
09-01-2011, 11:48 AM
ACABrad

I like that we have him locked down for a few more years, but I have to to agree with many of you the amount and lenght of the contract are a little high and long. I would have been happy for a 4 year 4.25 deal.

Now lets get RJ locked up.

ACABrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 12:17 PM
blahblah

Quote:
BTW Blah, I'm not going to bother, if you are going to make a comparison, try showing the entire contract instead of spreading misinformation.
It is 100% accurate, I showed the contracts as they exist now. The rest of the contract is irrelevant as Tyutin has not received anything beyond that. He may not even get another one. The direct comparison is that Keith is making substantially more than Tyutin.

No misinformation at all. That is the way you compare the contracts. Keith is getting paid 8 million this year and next. Tyutin is no where near that.

What you don't like is that the true facts don't follow your silly agenda.

Unless something magic happens, even with Tyutin's next contract he won't make up much of the ground in the total contract amount.

But since you seem to think it's somehow relevelant, here is the after 34 contract for Keith.

So that's 14.25 over 5 years. So the question is Tyutin going to make 3 million a year after that and will the gap in their play be more or less? Meaning at 36 their play may not be as huge as it is now. Could be greater or they could end up as similar players. Tyutin would have to be making 5+ million to make any real dent over the life of the contracts. Unless we have major contract inflation, the odds of Tyutin making anything close to 5 @ 36 is pretty small.

Chi is playing the cap game, we're not. There is no reason for us to circumvent the cap like Chi is. For the life of Tyutin's contract, the only thing close in their contracts is the cap hit. The salaries are miles apart.

Old
09-01-2011, 12:38 PM
blahblah

Quote:

I can't say I disagree with what he had to say. It's up to Wiz to shut everyone up. But I can't see him playing 25 minutes a night against the Sedin's, for example, and expecting the type of results we need.

On a positive note for over half the teams in the West it could very well be fine. This feels like a defense that can produce the results against the lesser team, get us into the playoffs, but come playoff time we'll have to have outstanding goal tending and unbelievable forward play to stand a chance. I don't think a Wiz, Tyutin pairing is going to be able to play 7 games against Detroit or Vancouver and not come out abused.

Old
09-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

not just that Blah, but if we are in the mix come feb, we can make a deal for dman that will help us in the stretch run / playoffs that CAN match up a little better...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 01:35 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
not just that Blah, but if we are in the mix come feb, we can make a deal for dman that will help us in the stretch run / playoffs that CAN match up a little better...
Very true.

I like where we are compared to last year. But we probably closed half the gap.

Old
09-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I would take Hamhuis over Tyutin 10 days a week
Feel free. I'll keep Tyutin.
(Not that I wouldn't happily take them both, but if you're going to make me choose...)

They're close enough to eachother that you might as well flip a coin.

Quote:
Also, it is well speculated that Hamhuis took a paycut to play for the Canucks.

Hamhuis got exactly as much as he was asking for and maybe a little more. Nashville just declined to give him 4mil/year because of the Weber/Suter/Rinne trio's new contracts coming up (and having guys like Klein already on the team, and Blum and Josi and Ekholm on the way). Claiming he took a pay cut smells like revisionist history being pushed as a result of a career year.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 02:56 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Feel free. I'll keep Tyutin.
(Not that I wouldn't happily take them both, but if you're going to make me choose...)

They're close enough to eachother that you might as well flip a coin.

Hamhuis got exactly as much as he was asking for and maybe a little more. Nashville just declined to give him 4mil/year because of the Weber/Suter/Rinne trio's new contracts coming up (and having guys like Klein already on the team, and Blum and Josi and Ekholm on the way). Claiming he took a pay cut smells like revisionist history being pushed as a result of a career year.
It was mentioned on TSN free agent frenzy that he had other offers with higher dollar amounts and chose Vancouver. With FA market that is very believable.

Hamhuis has proven he can play top tier shutdown role with some offense in pressure situations and I would feel better with him shutting down the big West teams top players than Tyutin.

Old
09-01-2011, 02:58 PM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplyr814 View Post
This. I just don't understand the love for Tyutin. I mean its not that he isn't capable of being a decent defensemen, and he does do some good things every once in a while, he just makes so many mistakes that he just isn't worth keeping in the ice.
haha. Lets look at the mistakes Russell makes, or Hejda, or anyone else that has played for this team, or in the NHL. Mistakes happen, you just seem to have some personal issue with Tyutin.

Were you that big of a Fritsche fan?

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Not much to say on this deal since everyone knows my opinion, but if you're new, I hate Tyutin.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
I saw the length and thought "wow, that's a little long" and then the next thought was "man, timeless is going to be PISSED"

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote