HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Tyutin signs 6 yr deal

Old
09-01-2011, 04:11 PM
knucklepuck28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Not much to say on this deal since everyone knows my opinion, but if you're new, I hate Tyutin.
me too!

knucklepuck28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Not much to say on this deal since everyone knows my opinion, but if you're new, I hate Tyutin.
I appreciate and applaud your restraint.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 04:36 PM
CapnCornelius

Too long of a term and a slight overpayment.

Remember when we were told this GM was a "capologist"?

Whatever. I guess this means some stability/continuity with Tyutin, Methot and Wiz on the backend for the forseeable future. The key is going to be who rounds out that trio going forward as Martinek is a stopgap and Russell isn't likely to be here past this contract barring significant improvement.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 05:35 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post

Whatever. I guess this means some stability/continuity with Tyutin, Methot and Wiz on the backend for the forseeable future. The key is going to be who rounds out that trio going forward as Martinek is a stopgap and Russell isn't likely to be here past this contract barring significant improvement.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post

I would think he is hoping that Savard, Goloubef, Moore, Weber, and Clitsome would round out the defense within the next couple years. In other words cheap young guys on ELCs.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
I saw the length and thought "wow, that's a little long" and then the next thought was "man, timeless is going to be PISSED"
Heh.

"You know you've been on HFBoards too much when..."

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Heh.

"You know you've been on HFBoards too much when..."
Ha, well, I've almost been here for nine years

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 06:19 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

My only problem is that we are handing out long term deals to a team that may never win a SC.

It's not a bad deal it's just...I am not sure Tyutin is worth us being tied to him for 6 years.

I have a bad feeling we are going to be stuck in mediocre for a while. JMHO. I would hand out these contracts if this team was showing it on the ice, that they could one day be a SC Champion.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 06:35 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
My only problem is that we are handing out long term deals to a team that may never win a SC.

It's not a bad deal it's just...I am not sure Tyutin is worth us being tied to him for 6 years.

I have a bad feeling we are going to be stuck in mediocre for a while. JMHO. I would hand out these contracts if this team was showing it on the ice, that they could one day be a SC Champion.
Teams that win championships need guys like Tyutin, that reliable top 4 d-man who people always view as overpaid but are instrumental in long playoff runs.

No reason to believe that because they signed Tyutin to a 6 year deal they won't be contenders over the course of that contract at all.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 06:54 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Teams that win championships need guys like Tyutin, that reliable top 4 d-man who people always view as overpaid but are instrumental in long playoff runs.

No reason to believe that because they signed Tyutin to a 6 year deal they won't be contenders over the course of that contract at all.
It depends. If this is still a budget team, Tyutin's money is money that can't be spent on a true #1 d-man if one becomes available.

Listen, I like the Wiz acquisition, but I'd like to see some money there if Savard, Moore, etc. don't become the well-rounded d-man that Wiz isn't.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:24 PM
hip check
Go North.

I really thought that with Tyutin coming off the books next summer, this was going to be Howson's opportunity to solidify the top pairing D with a a true #1 or something close to that. With this contract, it appears we are going forward with Tyutin-Wiz. I don't see another high dollar defenseman with the three defensemen that are under contract now. This wouldn't have been my plan going forward.
The one benefit I see going forward is that, although there MAY be no #1 defensemen among the prospects, 2-4 isn't out of the question for a few of them. So we could see a group of 7 d-men with strong depth in the near future. While Tyutin's contract may hamper any attempt to bring in another high dollar defenseman (without having to destruct some of the gains made at the forward position) we could have certainly done worse. And if the salary cap keeps heading north, the dollar amount may not end up as bad as it initially looks. In summary, I'm not completely comfortable with this plan, but I'm not dooming it from the start either.

hip check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Hipster Letestu

Lidstrom, Nicklas
Souray, Sheldon
Rozsival, Michal
Liles, John-Michael
Wideman, Dennis
Kubina, Pavel
Spacek, Jaroslav
Beauchemin, Francois
Stuart, Brad
Kuba, Filip
Jackman, Barret
Sarich, Cory
Oduya, Johnny
Mitchell, Willie
Finger, Jeff
Suter, Ryan
Carle, Matt
Coburn, Braydon
Kronwall, Niklas
White, Colin
Salvador, Bryce
Allen, Bryan
Gleason, Tim
Eaton, Mark
Gorges, Josh
Corvo, Joe
Gill, Hal
Martinek, Radek
Sutton, Andy
Colaiacovo, Carlo
Morrisonn, Shaone
Aucoin, Adrian
Salo, Sami
Zanon, Greg
Boychuk, Johnny

That is a list of upcoming free agents for 2012, and there are not many guys on that list I would rather see getting Tyutin's money. Suter, Mitchell, Stuart, Boychuk, and Sarich stand out as guys I would like, but other than Suter they aren't really number one guys. How realistic is it that Suter reaches free agency? How much of a chance would we have at getting him on the open market? With Tyutin we know what we have, he's consistent and has been healthy.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 08:08 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I very wonder what Howson did if his achievments will go down Fjodor is a good d-man but his amplitude his achievments is not always extra. Btw I am his fan.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

yikes...next year's list...NOT GOOD...besides the obvious...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:56 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
That is a list of upcoming free agents for 2012, and there are not many guys on that list I would rather see getting Tyutin's money. Suter, Mitchell, Stuart, Boychuk, and Sarich stand out as guys I would like, but other than Suter they aren't really number one guys. How realistic is it that Suter reaches free agency? How much of a chance would we have at getting him on the open market? With Tyutin we know what we have, he's consistent and has been healthy.
Good work.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:58 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
yikes...next year's list...NOT GOOD...besides the obvious...
There are, at least, 4 or 5 guys, on that list I wouldn't mind having. I'm not including Lindstom, he might as well not even be on the list.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i guess looking at it more awake, there are a few...suter, jackman, coburn, and zanon would probably all be upgrades of varying degrees

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 06:02 PM
RagsToRichards

as a Ranger fan watching him in his first years in the NHL, I agree he is a solid d-man.. but to be making more $$ than Marc Staal? I don't think he's THAT good. Anyways looking forward to see what Tyuts can do.. Glad he's in a place where he will most likely spend his career.

RagsToRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 06:30 PM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagsToRichards View Post
as a Ranger fan watching him in his first years in the NHL, I agree he is a solid d-man.. but to be making more $$ than Marc Staal? I don't think he's THAT good. Anyways looking forward to see what Tyuts can do.. Glad he's in a place where he will most likely spend his career.
Little different situation. Staal has a very nice contract for NY. Correct me if I'm wrong (because I'm too lazy to look it up lol) Staal was a RFA as Tyutin will be an UFA. Also Staal's contract ends around his peak time while Tyutin will be hitting his peak somewhere in the near future. And I believe Staal's contract spikes at the end, while Tyutin's trails off. Tyutin's contract certainly seems more like a free market contract than it does a hometown discount, but its not really fair to compare it to Staal's.

Old
09-02-2011, 07:27 PM
TSA0402

The list is appreciated, but I'm not sure its worth commenting on until we get a better idea of who is available closer to the end of the season. Have a gut feeling the list will look much worse than even now.

My hope is Howson catches lightning in a bottle and finds a disgruntled talented d-man via trade.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 10:30 AM
hip check
Go North.

So much can happen between now and next summer, what with trades, team salaries, etc. But Howson has decided with these 3 big contracts that these are the defensemen he has chosen to go forward with. The question becomes, are these defensemen the ones that can carry this team forward or should there have been left room for a different defenseman to come in? Regardless of the risk, if Tyutin, Wiz, and Methot are not those players, at least one shouldn't have been retained, at least not at their contracts. If you need a car to drive you across the country, but it may be difficult to find, you don't go with a car that will only get you to Utah instead. I'm not saying these 3 can not do it, but I think this shows where Howson is at. We do have some promising prospects, although there may not be any that will develop into a #1. Hopefully Howson is right.

Old
09-03-2011, 12:52 PM
EdwardG
North!

Dislike. This team's D has been an ongoing weakness and not up to par with the better teams, and so we tie up cap space for 6-7 years with an average d-man who doesn't belong in a top pairing. It's moves like this that make me fear that the CBJ will continue as one of the worst franchises in the NHL. Hope I'm wrong.

EdwardG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:02 PM
PirateJack

Needed something to do while watching the OSU game. May get this on a jersey (just the name) because it amuses me.

PirateJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
Dislike. This team's D has been an ongoing weakness and not up to par with the better teams, and so we tie up cap space for 6-7 years with an average d-man who doesn't belong in a top pairing. It's moves like this that make me fear that the CBJ will continue as one of the worst franchises in the NHL. Hope I'm wrong.
Exactly, you could've spent another 1 to 1.5 million and gotten a defenseman who's actually good.

Timeless Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Lil Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJack View Post

Needed something to do while watching the OSU game. May get this on a jersey (just the name) because it amuses me.

Someone please shop this to say Tyurnover

Howson proving that spending money anywhere is a more effective way to keep your job than sitting on your hands.

Lil Shake is offline   Reply With Quote