HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Training Camp Thread: Tyrell sent to Norfolk

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2011, 12:52 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Ritola has better hands but struggles with his consistency and I think part of that was his health. That seems to be a little more ironed out.

Jones has more toughness and physicality to his play, with a decent amount of finish and defensive coverage.

Tyrell, while fast, has little finish but is an excellent forechecker. I don't think he'll ever be a top six guy, but a decent third liner if he can ever get his hands to catch up.

Old
10-04-2011, 01:12 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Good for Blair. Hope he sticks around for a while. The question is if he gets to play over Pyatt and Ritola.

In the meantime Tyrell gets to work on his stickhandling and hopefully his scoring, huge boost for Norfolk.

If Moore is ready to go I think we'll go with:

Connolly - Stamkos - St. Louis
Shannon - Lecavalier - Purcell
Malone - Moore - Downie
Jones - Thompson - Hall

Hedman - Brewer
Gilroy - Clark
Bergeron - Kubina

Roloson

Bench: Ritola, Pyatt, Gervais, Garon

Old
10-04-2011, 01:35 PM
hockeygirl771

Trades

At this point in time with the NHL teams assigning/reassigning players to the AHL.........would teams be looking for trade packages.

Also Brian Burke is looking for a forward, do you think he will pick Avery up off of waivers?

Old
10-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Wow. I really thought he was better than Ritola and Jones.

On the other hand I am really happy for Jones. It's great for him to finally make the team out of camp, and it's great for all the Norfolk kids watchin. Took him 5 years in the AHL the first year going all the way back to the springfield falcons, but his determination payed off.
The flip side is that Tyrell got a full NHL season, and still got sent back. Say 'hi' to Pool Noodle when you get there.

I don't mean to be a negative nelly, I'm happy for Jonesy too, but that's also what the Norfolk kids may see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl771 View Post
At this point in time with the NHL teams assigning/reassigning players to the AHL.........would teams be looking for trade packages.

Also Brian Burke is looking for a forward, do you think he will pick Avery up off of waivers?
No. He said he wouldn't almost the second Waivery's status was made official.

I also don't think teams would be looking for deals right now. There's been a metric asston of guys on waivers recently, and if they didn't take them then, I can only figure they aren't particularly driven to trade bubble guys now.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-04-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old
10-04-2011, 03:17 PM
IdealisticSniper

Not happy with the decision. Tyrell is better than both Ritola and Pyatt, and is much much faster than Jones. Its a politics move and not a team move IMO but I understand they didnt want to lose anyone just yet.

I predict by a quarter into the season when Connolly is sent back (maybe), an Ritola has his ear thing come back, Tyrell will be back. It just sucks to see a guy improve his game that got him to the NHL last year only to be sent packing because he was the latest contract of the group.

Old
10-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

With Dana Tyrell now with Norfolk, the DNA line is technically no more.

However, there does exist the potential for other line nicknames involving that line:

Ritola-Thompson-Hall = RNA line (the natural successor)
Jones-Thompson-Hall = NAB/NBA line
Downie-Thompson-Hall = NSA line (or DNA v2.0)
Pyatt-Thompson-Hall = TNA line (lulz) (or Hyatt line)

I strongly suggest saying Pyatt's name like a ninja. P-YAAT! (pronounced p-yacht)

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-04-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old
10-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Doyle

2011-12 Season Preview: Tampa Bay Lightning
http://nhlhotstove.com/2011-12-seaso...bay-lightning/

Old
10-04-2011, 03:38 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Not happy with the decision. Tyrell is better than both Ritola and Pyatt, and is much much faster than Jones. Its a politics move and not a team move IMO but I understand they didnt want to lose anyone just yet.

I predict by a quarter into the season when Connolly is sent back (maybe), an Ritola has his ear thing come back, Tyrell will be back. It just sucks to see a guy improve his game that got him to the NHL last year only to be sent packing because he was the latest contract of the group.
Better than Pyatt, yes, Ritola no. Tyrell has very little offense. Ritola and Jones can use the body more. Ritola is better along the wall and has shown a lot of offensive creativity in the preseason, and put together one hell of a finish in Norfolk last year.

Its not politics. Its not like we would put Blair on waivers and lose him. Hell, we put Ritola on waivers last year and Detroit didn't even claim him back before we sent him to Norfolk.

I know you're a big Tyrell fan but we haven't seen his game improve. He has become faster, sure, but thats about it at this point.

Old
10-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
Better than Pyatt, yes, Ritola no. Tyrell has very little offense. Ritola and Jones can use the body more. Ritola is better along the wall and has shown a lot of offensive creativity in the preseason, and put together one hell of a finish in Norfolk last year.

Its not politics. Its not like we would put Blair on waivers and lose him. Hell, we put Ritola on waivers last year and Detroit didn't even claim him back before we sent him to Norfolk.

I know you're a big Tyrell fan but we haven't seen his game improve. He has become faster, sure, but thats about it at this point.
Tyrell is basically only useful when he's with Thompson and Hall. Jones can fill in for Downie, Malone, etc.

Ritola...I don't know what to think of that guy now, but everyone's saying he had a very strong camp. He can, at his best, do spot duty on the top six. Bottom six was a concern for me last year, and I don't know how he's come along in that department.

Tyrell is sort of reminding me of a young Jason Blake. Wheels, but no hands. Artyukhin technically fits that description as well, but he's a whole other beast, IMO. Blake is a smallish guy really good on the forecheck, like Tyrell is (and neither of which Arty is).

Blake did eventually get his hands to keep up with his feet, and it got him an Olympic and All-Star appearance.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-04-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old
10-04-2011, 03:54 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I was going to say, a very distinct difference - Tyrell is actually an intelligent player, and Arty is a very expensive skate holder.

Old
10-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
I was going to say, a very distinct difference - Tyrell is actually an intelligent player, and Arty is a very expensive skate holder.
Yeah, I edited in the size and forechecking/hustle comparison, which basically ends up making the initial comparison (that by itself could include Arty), pretty much moot.

Old
10-04-2011, 04:12 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Jones is also very strong at faceoffs and generally plays a much more physical game than Tyrell and the other bubble guys.

Old
10-04-2011, 04:15 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Good for Blair. Hope he sticks around for a while. The question is if he gets to play over Pyatt and Ritola.

In the meantime Tyrell gets to work on his stickhandling and hopefully his scoring, huge boost for Norfolk.

Malone - Moore - Downie
Jones - Thompson - Hall

Hedman - Brewer
Gilroy - Clark
Bergeron - Kubina

Roloson

Looks good. Without Ohlund who usually plays a lot of minutes, Boucher might also go with 7 D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
The flip side is that Tyrell got a full NHL season, and still got sent back. Say 'hi' to Pool Noodle when you get there.

I don't mean to be a negative nelly, I'm happy for Jonesy too, but that's also what the Norfolk kids may see.
Not necessarily a bad thing though. If he was sent down because of his camp and not because of his contract, that shows the kids that even after you "make it" you aren't safe. Tyrell said this much at the start of camp and last season too.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...cle1192214.ece
Quote:
"It doesn't feel strange at all," Tyrell, 22, said of not having a secured position. "I have to establish myself every year. Anybody can take anybody's job, so it's going to be a tough camp."
edit:

nm looks like it was because of his contract

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...tyrell/1195165
Quote:
The innocent bystander is Tyrell, 22, who last season played 78 games for Tampa Bay, came to camp in the best shape of his career and whom general manager Steve Yzerman agreed did nothing to lose his spot.

He simply did not need waivers to be sent to the minors.

"I have no doubt that he's disappointed," Yzerman said. "But we want to see Brett Connolly. He's earned the right, and the things he does on the ice is a need that we have, so we want to see him play."

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 10-04-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old
10-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post

Malone - Moore - Downie
Jones - Thompson - Hall

Hedman - Brewer
Gilroy - Clark
Bergeron - Kubina

Roloson

I'm liking these lines very much (based on those at practice today):

Downie-Stamkos-St Louis
Malone-Vinny-Purcell
Connolly-Moore-Shannon
Hall-Thompson-Bubble

Old
10-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Kusic
Be The Thunder

Send a message via ICQ to Kusic
Shannon/Connolly - Stamkos - St. Louis
Shannon/Connolly - Lecavalier - Purcell
Malone - Moore - Downie
Hall - Thompson - Ritola/Pyatt

Brewer - Hedman
Kubina - Bergeron
Clark - Gilroy/Gervais

Old
10-04-2011, 06:41 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
I'm liking these lines very much (based on those at practice today):

Downie-Stamkos-St Louis
Malone-Vinny-Purcell
Connolly-Moore-Shannon
Hall-Thompson-Bubble
http://video.lightning.nhl.com/video...id=0&id=126139

Looks like that's what Boucher is going with to start the season.

He said Downie has worked on the 1st line with Stammer and Marty in the past, so he get's first shot at playing with them. The 2nd line of Malone-Vinny-Purcell Boucher said he liked against Montreal so he might stick with that. Connolly will start out on the 3rd line to ease the pressure and so he won't have to go against the other team's top guys. And then the 4th line with be some combo of Pyatt, Jones, Hall, Thompson,and Ritola.

Old
10-04-2011, 06:49 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:

Frankly IMO all of them provide the same type of offense. Which is sporadic and not too much. Jones doesnt have any finishing touch in the NHL either. Ritola probably has the most finishing instincts but hes horrible on the forecheck and makes bad decisions with the puck a lot. Pyatt is ok at everything but not great at anything.

Tyrell earned his spot, the ONLY reason its him going down is because of his waiver exempt status. As proven in the SFY quote Days04 posted above. They didnt want to potentially lose anyone right now so thats what they did.

Its ok though because if they are going to play Connolly on the 3rd line, I dont see him doing anything special so he will probably end up going down after the 9 games. If they kept him they need to play him in the top 6, thats what his game is. Dont see the point of keeping him up to play him in a semi shutdown/grinder role.

Old
10-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

A line with Connolly, Shannon, and Moore is not a shutdown line. It's a 3rd scoring line.

If I can parse this:
Quote:
...and whom general manager Steve Yzerman agreed did nothing to lose his spot.
First, SFY appears to be answering a bit of a loaded question.

Second, while Tyrell might not have done anything to lose his spot, he also didn't make it an easy enough decision for them to automatically keep him.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-04-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old
10-04-2011, 08:19 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Regardless of waivers I think Tyrell being sent down is a bad idea.
There's really no downside to it. Nobody can poach him on the way down or up (if and when he's recalled) plus he should command big minutes in Norfolk and, at this stage of his career, I think that's a good thing. I'd like him to get that scoring and play-making mindset back; remember, this is a guy with plenty of natural offensive skill being underutilized in a mere checking role.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:28 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:

Don't understand the extreme hard-on for Tyrell. He's promising but a young pup yet.

Yes, this is a business and sometimes roster decisions are complicated by contractual concerns. That does not, however, necessarily mean the Lightning are becoming a weaker roster and are not doing something that is not also in the best interest of the organization AND the player in question.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:19 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I think what you see is what you get with Tyrell. I just don't see him at this point becoming a scoring line winger.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
I think what you see is what you get with Tyrell. I just don't see him at this point becoming a scoring line winger.
Not only that but its far more valuable for the team to get Connolly some experience. Tyrell can come back if Connolly needs some more progressing.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Picklepete

Send a message via AIM to Picklepete
People, it's Dana Freaking Tyrell.. Not a big deal at all.. wow

Old
10-04-2011, 10:19 PM
snowden
Man is matter

All those lower line guys (Tyrell, Jones, Ritola, I guess Pyatt) are pretty much one and the same. Marginal offensive talent that is never fully realized even though they get hyped up at various times. Speed can only take you so far before you have to display some finishing ability. I just hope one of them busts out.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Hockeyfan02

I like Tyrell's game, but if he didn't want to get sent down he would have separated himself from the pack and not been on the bubble. I don't think it's a huge difference from him to Ritola, Jones, or Pyatt. He'll be back this season because I doubt this team is going to stay completely healthy and he'll be needed at some point. If he's brought up he needs to play good enough that the team has no choice but to keep him up. He didn't do that in camp which is unfortunate. Hopefully he uses this as motivation and does well for the Admirals.

Closed Thread