HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Training Camp Thread: Tyrell sent to Norfolk

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2011, 05:39 AM
hockeygirl771

vCash: 500
Wright

My opinion -- It looks like the new GM's and Coaches prefer giving opportunities to the players they either drafted or brought in i.e. players that played for them in prior years, at one time or another elsewhere. Also the previous and new GM's/Coaches differ in their style of play, skill set and systems.

What does everyone think?

Old
09-26-2011, 06:09 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Sure about Hall?

By the way, DC on Connolly: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...l-cuts/1193666
Nope, I figure it is likely Ritola/Jones/Pyatt but everyone was saying that so chose something else. I figured as i hadn't heard much about him all training camp maybe he was a potential waived player?

Old
09-26-2011, 06:34 AM
LightningStrikes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl771 View Post
My opinion -- It looks like the new GM's and Coaches prefer giving opportunities to the players they either drafted or brought in i.e. players that played for them in prior years, at one time or another elsewhere. Also the previous and new GM's/Coaches differ in their style of play, skill set and systems.

You're probably right. I was a little shocked to see that Wright was sent down without a single pre-season appearance. Before camp I thought he'll be one of the few with an actual chance to make the team. He either came to camp out of shape or they knew from the beginning that they want him in Norfolk for another year. Or he simply doesn't fit in Boucher's system / plans and will end up being traded sooner than later.

Old
09-26-2011, 11:56 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
Hi, is it confirmed that Ondrej Palat will play this upcoming season in Norfolk? I'm asking because he's on the roster of Drummondville, which confused me (http://en.lhjmq.qc.ca/roster/list/team/47/sort/last).
He's a Norfolk's camp right now, but he doesn't have a contract.
Quote:

I don't believe so. He might be a Lawton draft pick, but so is Ashton, Panik, Tokarski, Barberio, and they have raved about these guys. I really don't think they care who drafted them if it's Jones under Feaster or Ashton under Lawton. Ashton played just as much as anyone and Jones is still here.

It is weird because Boucher and Yzerman picked him to play in a couple preseason games last year. Boucher even said after he was cut "He could have been with us," if not for Tyrell better fitting the role. So I don't think that Yzerman or Boucher don't like him either.
Quote:
You're probably right. I was a little shocked to see that Wright was sent down without a single pre-season appearance. Before camp I thought he'll be one of the few with an actual chance to make the team. He either came to camp out of shape or they knew from the beginning that they want him in Norfolk for another year. Or he simply doesn't fit in Boucher's system / plans and will end up being traded sooner than later.
These could be possible reasons, although I don't think he would come to camp out of shape. I'd be surprised if he did.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
He's a Norfolk's camp right now, but he doesn't have a contract.
If I were the GM or Coach of a juniors team, this kind of stuff would drive me insane. He can still go back to Drummondville right now, but they've already played 3 regular season games.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:42 PM
bassassin

Could it be they see Wright as Moores replacement next season?

And they are just giving him maximum development time in the AHL before letting him force his way into the 3rd line centre spot next season?

Old
09-26-2011, 02:03 PM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Could it be they see Wright as Moores replacement next season?

And they are just giving him maximum development time in the AHL before letting him force his way into the 3rd line centre spot next season?
Could be. But if that's the case I'd still want him to play at least one pre-season game if I was Boucher or Yzerman.

Old
09-26-2011, 02:14 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Got a response from EE

http://twitter.com/#!/erlendssontrib
Quote:
Re: James Wright, has fallen down depth chart, struggled with knee problems last season that stunted his development @Tamby1054

Old
09-26-2011, 06:23 PM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Well there we have it. Also, chad of BP posted this:

Quote:
I asked Boucher about Wright specifically after talking with Wright himself. Wright was the only Norfolk player who was in the Lightning's vet lockerroom. Everyone else was in two other rooms. From that, I think they wanted him to push for a spot. Boucher said mentally Wright was holding back because of his knee injury last year.

He did not do well in camp. I'll have something up from both of them today or tomorrow.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:02 PM
hockeygirl771

Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04
Got a response from EE

Quote:
I asked Boucher about Wright specifically after talking with Wright himself. Wright was the only Norfolk player who was in the Lightning's vet lockerroom. Everyone else was in two other rooms. From that, I think they wanted him to push for a spot. Boucher said mentally Wright was holding back because of his knee injury last year.

He did not do well in camp. I'll have something up from both of them today or tomorrow.

This really doesn't make sense when you consider all of Connolly's injuries and the time and effort that Tampa took to set Connolly up with a Trainor in Toronto for the summer and the opportunities he was given to play in pre-season games. Wright was not afforded those same opportunities.

Last edited by hockeygirl771: 09-26-2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Quote did not copy over properly
Old
09-26-2011, 07:09 PM
ultra63

I was hoping for more than "How far they'll go will once again be up to Roloson's play and whether or not their depth can complement the offensive leaders in Lecavalier, Stamkos and St. Louis." theauthor seemed to use more of his energy on the graphics than analysis in this preview.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:15 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04
Got a response from EE

Quote:

This really doesn't make sense when you consider all of Connolly's injuries and the time and effort that Tampa took to set Connolly up with a Trainor in Toronto for the summer and the opportunities he was given to play in pre-season games. Wright was not afforded those same opportunities.
Connolly from what I recall set up the trainer setup himself, as there isn't much out in PG for him. There really isn't a ton in the way of favoritism, what is confusing most people now about our front office is that they don't tell you ****, and thats by design. If it wasn't announced by EE, you would have never known about Scott Jackson, or James Wright recently.

There is also a certain expectation that player x should be in league y in z amount of time, and thats just not true. Guys like Janus have the pedigree to be a starting goaltender in the NHL... but probably not for another five years. Alex Hutchings needs to get hungry again and climb the ladder, and stay healthy. James Wright needs to get past his mental block about his knee injury and trust his body again. All of these guys are going to take time. Its rare that a kid sees the game like a veteran, but sometimes a guy like Connolly does. Its not favoritism, its vision. He still has big question marks surrounding his health and size. Thats why we have, essentially, five guys fighting for one or two roster spots.

Old
09-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Bolt32

Honestly, Were so stacked on forwards in our pipeline and so thin (Besides Barberio and Gudas of course.) on defense, that I would have no problems shipping Wright off to a team that would give Wright the chance to shine in the NHL as long as we get a solid defensemen prospect back.

Old
09-26-2011, 09:57 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying but that makes sense to me. James Wright has played half a season in the NHL. He's still a young guy but he's been around to enough of the lightning prospect/development/training camps and in the NHL and AHL long enough to know how to train and be a professional by now. He is also surrounded by Lightning personnel in Norfolk. Connolly on the other hand this past season was new to all of this. He wasn't in shape like a lot of kids right out of the draft and the fact that he has an injury history makes it very important that he gets the extra care in the beginning to make sure he starts out on the right foot. That's not to say Wright and other prospects weren't given the same help. I don't know enough about what goes on but I would imagine whether you are a top prospect or in the middle of the pool, your still a valued Lightning prospect.Yzerman has made a great deal of how important the development of all our prospects is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
Connolly from what I recall set up the trainer setup himself, as there isn't much out in PG for him. There really isn't a ton in the way of favoritism, what is confusing most people now about our front office is that they don't tell you ****, and thats by design. If it wasn't announced by EE, you would have never known about Scott Jackson, or James Wright recently.
Steve Thomas set him up with the Toronto trainer.

As for his injury I agree that the whole story about his injury is not being told here. I remember he didn't really compete at the development camp because of a lower body injury. He played in the prospect tournament and the camp scrimmages so I don't know if pain was coming back after the intense camp. He did play 80 games this season in Norfolk.

Quote:
There is also a certain expectation that player x should be in league y in z amount of time, and thats just not true. Guys like Janus have the pedigree to be a starting goaltender in the NHL... but probably not for another five years. Alex Hutchings needs to get hungry again and climb the ladder, and stay healthy. James Wright needs to get past his mental block about his knee injury and trust his body again. All of these guys are going to take time. Its rare that a kid sees the game like a veteran, but sometimes a guy like Connolly does. Its not favoritism, its vision. He still has big question marks surrounding his health and size. Thats why we have, essentially, five guys fighting for one or two roster spots.
I also agree with this. Although he did make the team 2 years ago he is only 21 years old and still young. When he's completely ready, he'll be back here.

This is also a great read from BP on the prospects at camp, Wright, and some other great stuff. It explains a lot.

http://www.boltprospects.com/content...cess-prospects

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 09-26-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old
09-27-2011, 10:16 AM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
renhockey Renaud P Lavoie
Wow ! Vous devriez voir l'entraînement du #lightning. Des push up sur la glace. On dirait une chorégraphie.
http://twitter.com/#!/renhockey

If my French is right: "Wow! You should see the Lightning practicing. Push-ups on the ice. Like a choreography."

---

Oh, and Boucher is not happy:
Quote:
Boucher coached the full team from the ice for the first time Monday. When asked what he saw, he said, "It just shows me how far we are from the details I want."
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...a-trip/1193760

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 09-27-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old
09-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Quote:
Boucher coached the full team from the ice for the first time Monday. When asked what he saw, he said, "It just shows me how far we are from the details I want."
Well, the tone doesn't come through the writing, it may have been meant as a neutral statement. But after following the team during his tenure, not likely.

Old
09-27-2011, 12:21 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Well, the tone doesn't come through the writing, it may have been meant as a neutral statement. But after following the team during his tenure, not likely.
It's from this video

http://video.lightning.nhl.com/video...d=55&id=124946

Old
09-27-2011, 12:39 PM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Ok, he's definitely not happy.

"It's time. Fun's over."

Old
09-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
That would explain why I couldn't find the quote in the article.

The Bouch-o-meter is off the charts in the video.

The Bouch-o-meter really is an inadequate device isn't it? It seems to never be able to gauge anything beyond trace amounts of Bouchs.

My policy is no smiling. It's not that you can't smile, the other team isn't allowed to smile. If they're grimacing in pain, it may look like one. Those also count IMO. In those cases, just finish them off.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 09-27-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old
09-27-2011, 03:33 PM
CH4

Quote:
http://twitter.com/#!/renhockey

If my French is right: "Wow! You should see the Lightning practicing. Push-ups on the ice. Like a choreography."

---

your french is right

Old
09-28-2011, 12:23 PM
JFleegs

Ty wishart put on waivers by ny islanders

Old
09-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFleegs View Post
Ty wishart put on waivers by ny islanders
Ryan Craig also waived by Pittsburgh, and Mike McKenna by Ottawa.

I think claiming Wishart would piss the Islanders off pretty heavily.

Old
09-28-2011, 02:48 PM
JFleegs

Yea true, it should be fair game..but then again if he cant crack ny islanders d then we probably dont want him.

Old
09-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Question for those that have been following the preseason closely...

Is Connolly ready to make the jump, or would another year in junior be preferred? Or should they keep him up the nine games and then send him back?

Edit: I'm aware there are contract reasons to keep him down (8 d-men on 1-way contracts and the like), but I'm asking from a purely developmental level. Is this kid ready for top-6 time in the NHL?

Old
09-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningNoodles View Post
Question for those that have been following the preseason closely...

Is Connolly read to make the jump, or would another year in junior be preferred? Or should they keep him up the nine games and then send him back?

Edit: I'm aware there are contract reasons to keep him down (8 d-men on 1-way contracts and the like), but I'm asking from a purely developmental level. Is this kid ready for top-6 time in the NHL?
Stammer wasn't ready for top-6 time right out of the gate (that was also during The Mullet however). From the Orlando game, I thought Connolly could use some time on the third line if he did make the jump to the NHL right then.

That's my only real sample to draw from, so another year in the WHL certainly shouldn't hurt.

Every year it seems we talk about 9 games, but when has that scenario ever happened? Either they make it, or they don't, and get sent back. Contract slide be damned.

I think he gets sent back before the season starts.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 09-28-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Closed Thread