HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Any One been to the U-20 camp?

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2004, 11:04 PM
aspin

vCash: 500
K.p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
Wednesday night game night began hobnobbing briefly with internet scribe Guy Flaming and Oiler talent seeking Kevin Prendergast. K.P. was a class act who indulged my inquiries about various Oiler prospects and Ken Linseman-esque questioning about Pouliot versus Parise. Couldn't resist ... but appreciated his time and candor.

The game itself was okay. Dubnyk played and certainly didn't bring his 'A' game in letting in two softies and then losing in an overtime shootout. Still I like the raw package of size, quickness, and fundamentals.

My player of the night had to be Eric Fehr. He brings a complete game with size (but no weight yet), shot, hockey sense (anticipation and very responsible defensively), and some fiestiness. Very good, complete game tonight.

Colliton continues to impress me. Another good, solid honest player. Enjoyed flashes of creativity from Dave Bolland, Clark MacArthur (Medicine Hat) who played with Eric Fehr. And thought Alexandre Picard played a more assertive game. Previous posters have indeed pegged him as a Ryan Smyth clone.

Really liked the work tonight of Calgary Hitmen twin towers Andy Rogers and Jeff Schultz. They both played well imo. The triumvirate of the Hitman connection, Ryan Getzlaff was buzzing. And Chipchura looked better tonight after a weak showing in Monday's game.

But for my dough Jeff Carter and Crosby continue to be the best players in camp. Carter is a very complete player - strong skater, good faceoff man, and good offensive abilities. Will be a very good pro. Won't ramble on about Crosby again except to say players are testing him physically and he is standing in there. Tonight Phaneuf tried to take liberties but Crosby responded with a punch.

Toughest blueline pairing? WHL heavyweights Mark Festric and Logan Stephenson. Neither will make this team (imo) but boy would they do alot of damage paired in the Wild West WHL.

Gotta disagree with Flames Draft Watcher about Braydon Coburn. I see some nice skills but imo find him to be quite uninvolved physically and passive. Had much higher expectations which changed watching Coburn live last year and at this camp.
I also don't think Corey Perry's skating is as bad as he opines.

Finally had a Wojtek Wolski sighting with the shootout winning goal against Dubnyk. Has not stood out. Empty sweater award goes to Steve Bernier.

So what did K.P. have to say ?

Old
08-18-2004, 11:24 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspin
So what did K.P. have to say ?
He encouraged patience with MAP and believes he will be a player. However I did ask about the Suter/Phaneuf draft debate. K.P. said they rated both players virtually the same but a slight nod to Suter. I asked if he were to grade them today what would it be. He held to Suter.

The expert has spoken. However from my comfy scouting vantage point in the living room couch, I humbly and stubborning stick with Parise and Phaneuf.

Old
08-19-2004, 12:43 AM
Mizral

I had Parise ahead of Pouliot then and hold even further to it now. While I loved Pouliot and still do a bit, he's seemingly always having problems with injuries, and that scares me.

As for Suter versus Phaneuf, I feel Suter has an edge here still, so I agree with K.P. Phaneuf might be better now, but Suter has just so much. He's got that extra couple offensive gears over Phaneuf if you ask me, and still has a lot of the intangible mean streaks and size to boot (albiet perhaps not as much as Phaneuf holds).

I'm happy for Bolland and Carter, two of my favorites from the last two drafts. Carter in particular I've always been a massive fan of. I think a lot of publications really underrated him. I see a franchise player in Carter, a Sundin-esque 1st line forward who will set the Flyers for a long, long time.

Old
08-19-2004, 01:14 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:

Dubnyk looks to have good technical skills. Seemed to go down a bit early and often. Lost the practise shootout drill to Ryan Munce.
Did he get beaten when he went down though? The guy's 6'6" or something, there can't be much room left up top even after he goes down.

Old
08-19-2004, 10:51 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Wednesday night game night began hobnobbing briefly with internet scribe Guy Flaming and Oiler talent seeking Kevin Prendergast. K.P. was a class act who indulged my inquiries about various Oiler prospects and Ken Linseman-esque questioning about Pouliot versus Parise. Couldn't resist ... but appreciated his time and candor.

But for my dough Jeff Carter and Crosby continue to be the best players in camp. Carter is a very complete player - strong skater, good faceoff man, and good offensive abilities. Will be a very good pro. Won't ramble on about Crosby again except to say players are testing him physically and he is standing in there. Tonight Phaneuf tried to take liberties but Crosby responded with a punch.

Gotta disagree with Flames Draft Watcher about Braydon Coburn. I see some nice skills but imo find him to be quite uninvolved physically and passive. Had much higher expectations which changed watching Coburn live last year and at this camp.
I also don't think Corey Perry's skating is as bad as he opines.
For me Getzlaf, Carter and Crosby have been the standout forwards. I thought Getzlaf dominated the first period last night looking like a man amongst boys. Played the power game with speed and skill. Also played the agitator role, sticking guys as he'd skate by. Pissed off Saunders so much he jumped Getzlaf and Ryan drew the penalty. In fact I've been so impressed by Getzlaf in the many viewings I've seen that I'd suggest that your debate should not be Parise vs. Pouliot but Getzlaf vs. Pouliot. I really think you're going to regret passing on Getzlaf, he looks NHL ready to me. Boy do I covet Getzlaf and Carter.

As for Coburn there's no doubt he needs to play more physical. But the kid has more tools than any other defenseman there and that suggest that should he add a physical game his upside is probably the highest of the bunch. Phaneuf though is probably the safer bet at this point to achieve his upside given he has a mean streak and no real holes in his game.

As for Perry, I'm not trying to say his skating is weak. But if he was quicker he'd be far more of a threat. Seems to get rocked a lot and ends up on his ass. My view of him probably reads more harshly than I intended but with his puck skills you'd like to see so much more out of him and thus I was frustrated with what he showed.

Agree with lot's of the rest that you said. Rogers has impressed me, I think the Hitmen are going to be very interesting to watch next year.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher: 08-19-2004 at 10:58 AM.
Old
08-19-2004, 10:54 AM
capebretonoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Did he get beaten when he went down though? The guy's 6'6" or something, there can't be much room left up top even after he goes down.
Dubynk looked shaky to me-- i was very dissapointed -- it was my only tme seeing him play though so take it for what its worth ...

Old
08-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
The first goal was a stinker for sure, I asked him about it after teh game and he admitted he just wasn't expecting the shot and wasn't ready for it. A quick loss of focus.

He did make a number of good saves on the night though too, including the shootout pokecheck on Corey Perry.

Old
08-19-2004, 11:36 AM
capebretonoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
The first goal was a stinker for sure, I asked him about it after teh game and he admitted he just wasn't expecting the shot and wasn't ready for it. A quick loss of focus.

He did make a number of good saves on the night though too, including the shootout pokecheck on Corey Perry.
Agreed--that was probably his nicest save-- I was at the other end of the rink unfortunatley for the shootout--definately got your moneys worth
--with the o/t and shootout

Old
08-19-2004, 12:06 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by capebretonoilers
definately got your moneys worth
--with the o/t and shootout
It was free!

Old
08-19-2004, 12:25 PM
capebretonoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers
It was free!

yeah -- it was meant as a joke

Old
08-19-2004, 09:34 PM
paxtang

Any info on Philly's two other prospects, Alexandre Picard (the D man) and Rejean Beauchemin? Rej was a suprise at the Philly camp with his play apparently, and it would be great if he could make the team.

Old
08-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Hey there, Oi'll say. My intitial observations were based upon the Saturday practice. Dubnyk let in two softies on Tuesday and played a better, albeit softer performance mopping up Thursday's drubbing of Team Red. Still I like his mobility and technical skill.

Old
08-20-2004, 12:44 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Thursday's scrimmage game saw more running of Sidney Crosby which resulted in Dion Phaneuf scrapping with his Rebel teammate Colin Fraser. Surprising, I give Fraser a slight edge in the fisticuffs.

The standout by far was Eric Fehr. Two goals including a beauty top-shelf laser beam. This kid is the complete package with offensive ability, gritty physical play (despite his current lack of beef), hockey sense, and responsible, defensive ability. A great player in development who I've touted since last year's camp. Got cheap shotted by Coburn in scoring a beauty sixth goal against team red.

I also liked the play of Flamers draft pick Dustin Boyd. This injury replacement player had a very solid game at both ends of the rink - offensive and defensive. Aggressive, strong skating player who is persistent in puck pursuit.

I'll be a buck Wes O'Neill doesn't make this team. Lots of work required for this big guy, beginning with mobility and coordination.

Liking the Hitmen trio of Schultz, Rogers, and Getzlaff. I really like Rogers who displayer good mobility for his size, some tenacity, and very good potential at both ends of the ice. Keeper for Tampa Bay. By the way, Flames Draft Watcher, the Parise/Pouliot debate and my earlier posted comments have been long discussed on this site. I would have happily taken Getzlaff (or Parise, Carter (a non issue at the Oiler pick) or even Belle) before Pouliot. Getzlaff will be a solid pro player.

Chipchura scored a nice goal tonight. Solid tools just has to work on consistency ... easier said than done.

Empty sweaty award to Wojtek Wolski. Didn't know he played except for a very poor and stupid penalty call.

Old
08-20-2004, 10:52 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Thursday's scrimmage game saw more running of Sidney Crosby which resulted in Dion Phaneuf scrapping with his Rebel teammate Colin Fraser. Surprising, I give Fraser a slight edge in the fisticuffs.

The standout by far was Eric Fehr. Two goals including a beauty top-shelf laser beam. This kid is the complete package with offensive ability, gritty physical play (despite his current lack of beef), hockey sense, and responsible, defensive ability. A great player in development who I've touted since last year's camp. Got cheap shotted by Coburn in scoring a beauty sixth goal against team red.

I also liked the play of Flamers draft pick Dustin Boyd. This injury replacement player had a very solid game at both ends of the rink - offensive and defensive. Aggressive, strong skating player who is persistent in puck pursuit.

I'll be a buck Wes O'Neill doesn't make this team. Lots of work required for this big guy, beginning with mobility and coordination.

Liking the Hitmen trio of Schultz, Rogers, and Getzlaff. I really like Rogers who displayer good mobility for his size, some tenacity, and very good potential at both ends of the ice. Keeper for Tampa Bay. By the way, Flames Draft Watcher, the Parise/Pouliot debate and my earlier posted comments have been long discussed on this site. I would have happily taken Getzlaff (or Parise, Carter (a non issue at the Oiler pick) or even Belle) before Pouliot. Getzlaff will be a solid pro player.

Chipchura scored a nice goal tonight. Solid tools just has to work on consistency ... easier said than done.

Empty sweaty award to Wojtek Wolski. Didn't know he played except for a very poor and stupid penalty call.
That Fraser's tough eh? Man he doesn't back down at all. He may be my favourite Rebel ever, Is there any chance he could sneak onto this team?

Old
08-20-2004, 11:26 PM
Oi'll say!

I'm not quite clear on who did the cheapshotting, was it Phaneuf or Fraser? Sounds like a spirited camp though, I love it! (as long as Sid doesn't get injured)

Old
08-21-2004, 12:27 AM
mooseman7

could someone please tell me how my buddy MacArthur has looked "ANY" info would be greatly appr.thanx

Old
08-21-2004, 12:53 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Kruezer - yes, Fraser is a gamer. He surprised me by going after his Rebel teammate Phaneuf.

Oi'll say! - Phaneuf was manhandling Crosby near the Red team's bench. Fraser was on the bench and took a poke a Phaneuf, came off the bench, and they went at it. It was a tough, physical camp all week. Many players went after Crosby each and every night.

mooseman - MacArthur looked pretty solid during camp. He played on a line with Chipchura (who got better as camp progressed) and Eric Fehr. Solid player who played quite well.

Closed Thread