HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal at home with Rangers

Old
09-01-2011, 03:21 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Hey did you guys know that Marc comes from a family of hockey players and has 2 brothers currently playing in the NHL? Thanks MSG!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:42 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Leetch3

marc will never be confused with brian leetch but i have no doubt that he is capable of providing more offense and improving that area of his game which could emerge him to a true #1 dman.

the video clips in this thread show his flashes of offensive skill, but we only see it in flashes because staal makes the conscience decision to NOT jump into the play because that's not his job. he has the skill to do it more if he wanted.

one interesting thing is with the emergence of mcdonagh and sauer as a trust-worth pair you could at certain times put them against top guys as the shutdown pair giving staal and girardi more freedom...compared to the past when staal and girardi had to be the shutdown guys 100% of the time cause there was no one else there.

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 06:27 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I don't know. Staal is always physically engaged. He doesn't throw a ton of big hits, but that's because he's more of a positional defender. Along the boards he uses his body very well and is extremely physical. Just watch any time someone like Ovechkin is on the ice.
Being physically engaged doesn't necessarily equate to being "nasty", which would make Staal one of the more feared defenseman in the league, IMO. He has the size to be an intimidating presence, now I would like to see him use it. Especially in the crease.

09-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Alphacat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Being physically engaged doesn't necessarily equate to being "nasty", which would make Staal one of the more feared defenseman in the league, IMO. He has the size to be an intimidating presence, now I would like to see him use it. Especially in the crease.
I just don't want that to take Staal off his game (positionally speaking). That was one of the biggest complaints about Pashnin and McIlrath.

Alphacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Staal has the skill to become more involved in the offense, but he usually makes the smart defensive decision to stay back just in case anything goes ary. He has shown flashes of being able to contribute offensively, and I think that this season is going to be a breakout offensive year for Staalsy

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote