HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting started.

Old
08-31-2011, 11:43 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Getting started.

I've never played before, hardly even skated before, but am interested in finally giving it a go now that I'm in some pretty good shape. What's the best way to get started, and do places have like an open gym type of thing with some goals set up, or will it be pretty much nothing but beer league games? I honestly have no idea what to expect.

RayP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 12:27 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
RayP, I'm new to the hockey community as well. Great to see another n00b join our ranks!

Check out this thread here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=831857

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 09:12 PM
KipDynamite

Stick and Pucks and Public skates will be your best bets. Also if your local rink has a Learn to play class, you can check those out. Good luck! Its a blast and you will soon be addicted.

KipDynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 09:23 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Skate skate skate, thats the biggest thing is ice time.

Find a class to learn to skate properly as early as you can

Find a place to shoot pucks or balls, even better if you are on skates or rollerblades. Also just work on skating with a puck or ball

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Find a class to learn to skate properly as early as you can
THIS

And don't be self conscious about it. I took learn to skate classes taught by figure skating teachers. I was the only "student" on the ice over the age of 10. Heck I was older than most of the parents in the stands watching and fearing that I would fall on their little kids.

But I was out there, and doing it, and about 9 months later I was suiting up for my first game.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:17 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I've never played before, hardly even skated before, but am interested in finally giving it a go now that I'm in some pretty good shape. What's the best way to get started, and do places have like an open gym type of thing with some goals set up, or will it be pretty much nothing but beer league games? I honestly have no idea what to expect.
if your location is correct and you're in Atlanta I can help you out.
I play in the Atlanta Amateur Hockey League (http://www.atlantahockey.org/) which has every skill level from rank beginners to former pros. we have 4 different types of leagues and close to 1,000 players.
the "open gym" as you call it is called "stick and puck" in most cities. unfortunately we don't really have that in Atlanta. there are several stick times at the local rinks but those always end up being pick up games.
the AAHL has a beginner league that is registering now for Fall season. http://www.sportability.com/spx/Leag...asp?LgID=29579
games won't start until mid-October so you've got plenty of time to work on your basic skating. don't wait to register though because once the league is full you'll be locked out. the beginner league always has folks that have never played before and even the returning players are happy to give you tips because they've all been beginners within the last year or two.
another beginner option is our Rec league (all skill levels together) but I'd recommend beginner league first.
I'd also recommend you go to public skates if you can. Friday nights at the Cooler in Alpharetta are the best because most folks are out at the high school football games. you can work on basic skating with ease. wear gloves, elbow pads and helmet though. shin pads under track pants are also a good idea. you'll have more confidence if you're not afraid to fall.
one more option is a private coach. it's not as expensive as you'd think. a buddy of mine who played at U Mass gives lessons out of The Ice Complex in C umming. he also happens to be president of the AAHL so he understands the needs of beginner players to be able to play in our league.
feel free to hit me with a PM if you need more info. it wasn't that long ago that I was where you are now.

Last edited by shoeshine boy: 09-01-2011 at 09:28 AM.
shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Badger36

First off all you need to take some learn to skate classes so that you can become a good skater. You cant play hockey if you cant skate.
After your skating gets to be pretty good, start going to stick and puck or just rec/open hockey.
Everyone sucks at first, so dont worry about it. Just go, have fun, listen any advice that people offer and stay humble.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote