HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shark's Scout Brian Gross Interview

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-31-2013, 12:02 AM
  #1
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Shark's Scout Brian Gross Interview

I was alerted to this by fear the fin you can find it here

Fear The Fin ‏@fearthefin 7m

@pcunneen19 @TPS_Guy http://www.thepipelineshow.com/media...375156800&sn=8 … It's the three "In Studio" ones.

One interesting highlight is the Sharks apparently have a handful of people tracking corsi for every CHL game.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:01 AM
  #2
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,373
vCash: 567
Corsi is stupid. The scouts and management don't use it.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:03 AM
  #3
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Corsi is stupid. The scouts and management don't use it.
Apparently they do. Gross is about as old school as you can get and he called corsi exciting. However other people are mapping it out, doing so would be grunt work.

Gross did seem to suggest that the use of analytics is pretty new

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:11 AM
  #4
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking
 
hohosaregood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,051
vCash: 500
The last thing that Gross said from Warren Strelow was pretty great. Never try to change a goalie's technique. It's like the opposite of Allaire.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:26 AM
  #5
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,373
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Apparently they do. Gross is about as old school as you can get and he called corsi exciting. However other people are mapping it out, doing so would be grunt work.

Gross did seem to suggest that the use of analytics is pretty new
Dude, I'm like, Corsi's champion around here. I thought the sarcasm was obvious.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:30 AM
  #6
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Dude, I'm like, Corsi's champion around here. I thought the sarcasm was obvious.
Dudette, my comment was meant to be neutral. I was just paraphrasing what Gross said about the subject. I wasn't trying to show you up

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:40 AM
  #7
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,373
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Dudette, my comment was meant to be neutral. I was just paraphrasing what Gross said about the subject. I wasn't trying to show you up
Wait, what? I know that. I was just getting in my bit about how everyone always tells me that the professionals don't use Corsi and that I'm dumb for believing in it before someone like KM comes in to talk about the Corsi of Doug Wilson's tan and totally derails any serious discussion.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:41 AM
  #8
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,509
vCash: 50
i saw on twitter, that in this interview it's revealed that 29 of the 30 teams use RinkNet - which provides the teams with video footage of the CHL games, so the NHL team's people can go to work tracking corsi.

the one team that doesn't is apparently New Jersey...

Quote:
Victor Carneiro ‏@vcarneiro 1h
@SteveBurtch @MattyPfeffer @pcunneen19 @theninjagreg It is New Jersey. Word is they were worried about leaks. http://www.rinknet.com/#!nhl_clients/c21b9
https://twitter.com/vcarneiro/status/362444490675462145

Crafton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:42 AM
  #9
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,549
vCash: 500
Hey, you asshat, I wasn't the one to derail it that time. I only replied to Gene Parmesan, I think.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:50 AM
  #10
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,373
vCash: 567
I had a good laugh when Gross "joked" about wanting the German kid Leon Draisaitl next year (who ironically is my favorite 2014 guy), plus the host made a Sharks drafting Germans joke earlier in the show as well.

Really good set of interviews, worth every minute in gold.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 08:54 AM
  #11
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Apparently they do. Gross is about as old school as you can get and he called corsi exciting. However other people are mapping it out, doing so would be grunt work.

Gross did seem to suggest that the use of analytics is pretty new
The Sharks have been at the forefront of using analytics for a very long time, using it at the lower levels may be "new", and by new I mean the last few years, but not at the NHL level.

Nothing about this surprises me except that they track it for every CHL game. I knew that they had data on a lot of players (both drafted and draft eligible) but man, the people tracking this game by game deserve huge raises!!

Edit: Just listened to the 2nd part, didn't have time yesterday and they have the ability to track Corsi for every CHL game, they don't actually track it...that's what I figured they did.

Also, I've mentioned several times that the Sharks org had changed (shifted what they value) the way they were drafting a few years ago, Gross mentioned this in the interview as well.


Last edited by stalockrox: 07-31-2013 at 10:28 AM.
stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:59 PM
  #12
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,373
vCash: 567
Looks like the Sharks really wanted Mueller... Apparently they offered 20 + 49 + 'something else' to Buffalo for 16. Unless their target there was Lazar, I suppose. (1:05 ish).


TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:07 PM
  #13
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,549
vCash: 500
Man this kid better pan out. They seem to really like him. But he better develop a mean streak. And about 20lbs of muscle.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:25 PM
  #14
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,373
vCash: 567
I have high expectations for young Mueller. He'd better be Vlasic with size and offense or I'm gonna riot.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:42 PM
  #15
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I have high expectations for young Mueller. He'd better be Vlasic with size and offense or I'm gonna riot.
if he can reach a similar level of defense, QB a pp adequately, make a proper breakout pass, skate through the neutral zone, and pop 30-40 pts ill be happy. is that asking too much?

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 02:44 PM
  #16
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
if he can reach a similar level of defense, QB a pp adequately, make a proper breakout pass, skate through the neutral zone, and pop 30-40 pts ill be happy. is that asking too much?
Being a QB and skating through the neutral zone might be the best case scenario but the rest seems doable.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 03:00 PM
  #17
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,373
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
if he can reach a similar level of defense, QB a pp adequately, make a proper breakout pass, skate through the neutral zone, and pop 30-40 pts ill be happy. is that asking too much?
Heh, if he can do all that he's a #1 defenseman.

He's big (needs to add strength/use it), can skate well, has a high hockey IQ, and a good breakout pass. He has all the tools to be a two-way but defensively-inclined #3 defenseman. That's my hope.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 03:25 PM
  #18
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Heh, if he can do all that he's a #1 defenseman.

He's big (needs to add strength/use it), can skate well, has a high hockey IQ, and a good breakout pass. He has all the tools to be a two-way but defensively-inclined #3 defenseman. That's my hope.
sorry forgot the

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 05:08 AM
  #19
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner
 
Guy Flaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Press Box & on Air
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,239
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I had a good laugh when Gross "joked" about wanting the German kid Leon Draisaitl next year (who ironically is my favorite 2014 guy), plus the host made a Sharks drafting Germans joke earlier in the show as well.

Really good set of interviews, worth every minute in gold.
Thanks for the compliments. I've known Brian for a while now and the German stuff has been a running joke for years. That said, I'm with you - Draisaitl is a personal favorite of mine for next year too. The play-by-play guy in Prince Albert started calling him "The Deutschland Dangler" and it fits. He looked like the real deal last year as a rookie, expectations are high for his second season.

Cheers,

- "The Host" Guy

__________________
Listen live to The Pipeline Show or find the audio archives and our blog at: www.thepipelineshow.com
Guy Flaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 02:42 PM
  #20
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,373
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
Thanks for the compliments. I've known Brian for a while now and the German stuff has been a running joke for years. That said, I'm with you - Draisaitl is a personal favorite of mine for next year too. The play-by-play guy in Prince Albert started calling him "The Deutschland Dangler" and it fits. He looked like the real deal last year as a rookie, expectations are high for his second season.

Cheers,

- "The Host" Guy
Thanks then, Guy.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.