HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Camp invitees thread

Old
08-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Camp invitees thread

Hey look at that, another defenseman.

*Pierre Durepos D (Saint John, QMJHL)

http://www.news889.com/news/local/ar...-ahl-st-john-s

*Alex Roach D (Calgary, WHL)

http://www.bclocalnews.com/bc_caribo...126837773.html

*Colin Miller D (Sault Ste. Marie, OHL)
*Michael Kantor RW (Sault Ste. Marie, OHL)

http://eupnews.com/2011/06/pair-of-h...from-la-kings/

*J.D. Watt RW (Abbotsford Heat/San Antonio Rampage, AHL)

http://twitter.com/#!/NHLFREEAGENTS

*Teigan Zahn D (Saskatoon, WHL)

http://saskatoonblades.com/article/t...f-to-hollywood

Last edited by Reaper45: 08-25-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
No harm in inviting a Memorial Cup D-man

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
No harm in inviting a Memorial Cup D-man
I agree it's just comical how much the Kings value defensemen now.

Old
08-05-2011, 01:39 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Hey look at that, another defenseman.

*Pierre Durepos D (Saint John, QMJHL)

http://www.news889.com/news/local/ar...-ahl-st-john-s
Wasn't he at our Dev camp earlier in the summer? Not new news. Never hurts to invite someone like this. Kind of like when the Kings invited Jones, despite having other goalie prospects.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 05:17 PM
McSorley 33

So we know Roach got an invite but how about any of the forwards?

Any word on who the Kings brass was impressed with.

I like the Roach invite a lot because he plays a style of D that the team really needs; I hope he makes it.

McSorley 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Here's an article on Roach's rookie camp experience and his invitation to the pro camp in September:
Quote:
Although Roach, 18, was one of the youngest players at the prospects camp, at the end of the day, he felt he measured up to the other players on the ice who were at least two years older and that, he said, gave him hope he could work his way up through the ranks to earn a spot on an NHL roster.

Roach has another opportunity to impress the LA Kings staff.

This September, Roach heads back to Los Angeles to attend the King’s main training camp.

In the first week of camp, the younger players train and scrimmage and compete in a mini tournament, all of which the King’s staff use to evaluate the prospects and decide which players get an invitation to the main training camp the following week.

The competition will be stiff, but Roach hopes to make the cut and get a shot at the main camp.

In a perfect world, Roach said, he would make the main camp and the Kings would offer him an entry-level contract.

Perfect or not, Roach’s immediate future is already planned out.

“Regardless of what happens I’m going back to Calgary to play with the Hitmen,” Roach said.

Last year, Roach tallied seven goals and 14 assists as a rookie with the Hitmen. This year, entering his second WHL season with the Hitmen, Roach expects more of himself.

“I just want to play, I just want to have a good season to help the team win,” he said.

“Make the best of it and play, lead by example.”

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Here's an article on Roach's rookie camp experience and his invitation to the pro camp in September:
Haha, another defenseman.

Roach has one thing going for him that you really can't teach, size. 6'4, 230 and he's only 18? Whoo... I hate to see him when he's 22 and been working out for a few years.

Old
08-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Johnny Utah

He seems like a Teubert type?

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
He seems like a Teubert type?
Haven't seen him play, but it appears that he is a willing combatant.

And an old-time hockey brawl with Alex Roach manhandling his opponent.

Rather fearless for a 17 year old rookie in the WHL. Looks to me that he needs some work on his balance and coordination. Could be a long term project who will likely spend another two to three years in juniors before advancing to the minors.

Old
08-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Found more information on Roach. Apparently he started gaining more ice time late in the season and emerged on Central Scouting's final rankings after being unranked in their mid-term and preliminary lists.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ch-on-nhl-list
Quote:
Alex Roach of Quesnel has caught the eye of National Hockey League scouts.

They placed Roach 142nd in their final rankings of North American skaters for the 2011 NHL entry draft scheduled for June 24-25 in Nashville, Tenn.

Roach, now back in Quesnel after his rookie season with the Western Hockey League Calgary Hitmen , is characteristically humble about the attention he has garnered from NHL scouts.

“I always knew they [scouts] were there,” Roach said.

“I didn’t think they were watching me.”

In fact, Roach, 18, was surprised he was on the NHL’s central scouting list, especially considering he had a rough start to his rookie season with the Hitmen.

“Being ranked 142 surprised me, because I wasn’t on the list midway through the season,” he said.

Although the Hitmen showed interest in Roach by drafting him, he was still just one of 80 Hitmen hopefuls at main training camp and couldn’t rest on his laurels.

“I still had to earn my stripes,” Roach said.

Earning his stripes to crack the lineup was not a simple matter.

“I was excited but I didn’t know what to expect,” he said looking back to when he arrived at the Hitmen training camp.

Roach realized quickly he was up against good competition.

“They skate a lot faster and are stronger,” Roach said of WHL hockey players.

“They pass the puck harder and more often.”

Arriving in camp a little overweight didn’t help matters, Roach admitted.

“My feet were slow and I felt sluggish,” he explained.

At the same time, Roach was dealing with the everday stresses away from the rink, such as getting used to living away from home with a billet family, living in a large city and attending a new high school, St. Anne’s Academic Centre.

“It was a big change for me,” Roach said.

Although he did make the team, Roach did not make the linup card for the first handful of games.

“It was tough sitting out games,” he admitted.

But all of that changed early last October when the Hitmen made their first road trip south of the border.

Roach was inserted into the lineup Oct. 15, when the Hitmen travelled to Portland to face the Winterhawks.

Hitmen coach Mike Williamson pencilled Roach in as a forward, just to give him a sense of the pace and feel of the game and he took full advantage of the situation.

There were no goals, assists or penalties for Roach, but at the same time he didn’t make any mistakes as the Hitmen handed the Winterhawks a 5-1 loss.

“I had a good game,” Roach said with a smile as he recalls his first regular season game as a Calgary Hitmen.

“It helped my confidence.”

From then on, Roach found his name on the lineup card every night after that, save for a few games when he was sidelined by an injury.

By the holiday break, he had an agent, Carlos Sosa, who recognized Roach, a student at Correlieu senior secondary school, “had all the tools.”

By then, Roach had improved his foot speed and was making better decisions with the puck on the offensive and defensive side of the puck.

All of that gave Roach a confidence boost that served as motivation to continue to improve.

The rate at which he improved was hastened when the team decided to trade their older players at the trade deadline, which afforded the younger skaters much more ice time.

At the end of the season, Roach was logging about 20 minutes per game, a tip of the hat to the rookie.

Roach finished the season with 16 points, four goals and 12 assists in 61 games.

At 6-4, 225 lbs, Roach was not shy about making his presence known and collected 77 penalty minutes.

Just a few months later, Roach was ranked 142nd on the NHL’s central scouting draft list.

The young Hitmen team finished the season with 45 points, last among all WHL teams.

Despite the last place finish, Roach is happy with his decision to play with the Hitmen in the WHL.

“It’s [WHL] more competitive than the BCHL,” Roach, who did play four games with the Quesnel Millionaires during the 2009-2010 season, said.

One of the players that impressed Roach the most was Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, a forward with the Red Deer Rebels.

“He’s impossible to hit,” Roach said with a shrug of the shoulders signalling respect for Nugent-Hopkins.

In fact, Nugent-Hopkins is ranked number one in the 2011 NHL entry draft.

“He’s shifty and smart with and without the puck,” Roach said with an appreciative shake of the head.

In addition to the hockey, Roach also has his eye on life outside of hockey and admitted the WHL scholarship made his decision much easier.

The WHL provides players with one year of post-secondary tuition for every year they play in the WHL.

Of course, playing in the Calgary Saddledome, the former home of the NHL Flames, in front of about 10,000 fans every game also makes playing hockey a lot of fun, Roach said.

“We have great fans,” he said.

Roach will not be going to the NHL entry draft, but rather he is staying in Quesnel to work on his physical fitness and his foot speed with Mills assistant coach Brian Kozak.

When asked if he hopes to be drafted by a specific team, Roach doesn’t hesitate in his reply.

“The team doesn’t matter, I just want to play hockey.”

Old
08-08-2011, 10:20 PM
cnshockey
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Can Roach play D or is he going to be someone who fights and thats it?

cnshockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

Roach is a done deal.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:07 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Roach is a done deal.
What do you mean? It's a done deal that he's going to the main rookie camp...?

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
I'm assuming TG means that the Kings have an agreement with Alex Roach. The Kings don't have many junior eligible defensemen currently in the pipeline with Deslauriers graduating to the AHL. Forbort and Gravel are both collegiate prospects and they didn't select any defensemen in this years draft, so I could see why the Kings would be looking at signing some junior eligible defense prospects.

Old
08-08-2011, 11:28 PM
cnshockey
A World Alone

By my calculations we only have 44 contracts in the organization, that includes Doughty though, and since contracts for players playing in Juniors don't count, I have no problem with us throwing a contract at him as long as he's not a one dimensional fighter who can't actually play.

Old
08-08-2011, 11:33 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Can Roach play D or is he going to be someone who fights and thats it?
I only saw him for a couple days, but he was actually one of the more noticeable defensemen when he had the puck. He showed very good patience with the puck, sometimes too much (he held onto it too long one time, which allowed him to get pick-pocketed that led to a goal). But, he is quite heady and knows how to find some open ice with it.

He wasn't very physical at the prospect camp, which is why I was surprised to see he actually fought. I am somewhat surprised he seems to be getting a contract, but that goes to show how I'm 1) not a scout and 2) far removed from what goes on behind the scenes. He does show some good poise, which, considering he was a rookie in the WHL this year, shows a fast learning curve as well.

He's definitely not just a goon, though. That much I can tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
From the talk of the player and the tone of TG's post, I'd assume he's a done deal of being signed.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:44 PM
cnshockey
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
I only saw him for a couple days, but he was actually one of the more noticeable defensemen when he had the puck. He showed very good patience with the puck, sometimes too much (he held onto it too long one time, which allowed him to get pick-pocketed that led to a goal). But, he is quite heady and knows how to find some open ice with it.

He wasn't very physical at the prospect camp, which is why I was surprised to see he actually fought. I am somewhat surprised he seems to be getting a contract, but that goes to show how I'm 1) not a scout and 2) far removed from what goes on behind the scenes. He does show some good poise, which, considering he was a rookie in the WHL this year, shows a fast learning curve as well.

He's definitely not just a goon, though. That much I can tell you.
The thing is, and I'm not saying this badly or that you are, is that some people think all hockey players are impressive by their goal scoring, skating, passing, deking, etc. They like fancy things. I believe Roach is a shutdown dman so its better at times if you're not impressed by him. It's like with Scuds and Mitchell - they're good because you never have to talk about them. When you do talk about them, its usually because they made a mistake.

Old
08-09-2011, 12:13 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
The thing is, and I'm not saying this badly or that you are, is that some people think all hockey players are impressive by their goal scoring, skating, passing, deking, etc. They like fancy things. I believe Roach is a shutdown dman so its better at times if you're not impressed by him. It's like with Scuds and Mitchell - they're good because you never have to talk about them. When you do talk about them, its usually because they made a mistake.
Right, and I understand that.

In my defense, I was trying to watch 12 players on the ice at the time, and since I was following the puck as well (and usually the puck carrier), it's harder to judge players away from the puck, especially when it's just for two games that go for 2 twenty minute running time halves.

So, he may very well have had great positional play. I did the best I could to follow; it's also harder when you're in the center of the rink and you can't see the numbers of players when they're on the defense, since their backs aren't always turned to the rafters.

Either way, the point stands that he's not strictly a fighter. At least not in my opinion

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:37 AM
cnshockey
A World Alone

Quote:
Right, and I understand that.

In my defense, I was trying to watch 12 players on the ice at the time, and since I was following the puck as well (and usually the puck carrier), it's harder to judge players away from the puck, especially when it's just for two games that go for 2 twenty minute running time halves.

So, he may very well have had great positional play. I did the best I could to follow; it's also harder when you're in the center of the rink and you can't see the numbers of players when they're on the defense, since their backs aren't always turned to the rafters.

Either way, the point stands that he's not strictly a fighter. At least not in my opinion
Exactly. Unless you really sit and watch ONE player, its very hard to get a good feel for them and who they truly are as players, especially a defenseman who doesn't jump in to the rush. Was in no way, shape, or form trying to say you're wrong or dumb or anything. Just trying to say that it really is a challenge to get a good feel for someone like him.

Old
08-09-2011, 01:42 AM
McSorley 33

Well, Roach is certainly not a goon type player and he only had five fights last year.

I like his potential as a third pairing guy in the mold of a Greene (who can actually fight, not grapple) and Tuebert. He's a McQuaid type player from the Bruins.

We need a guy like this in our system.

Roach and ND on the backend would be great for toughness.

Last edited by McSorley 33: 08-09-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old
08-09-2011, 01:52 AM
McSorley 33

And by the way, can someone tell DL to PLEASE draft a forward. We have to many D-man and this team needs quality forwards...

Next years draft is the year of the defencemen too.

Old
08-09-2011, 01:55 AM
McSorley 33

Quote:
Right, and I understand that. In my defense, I was trying to watch 12 players on the ice at the time, and since I was following the puck as well (and usually the puck carrier), it's harder to judge players away from the puck, especially when it's just for two games that go for 2 twenty minute running time halves. So, he may very well have had great positional play. I did the best I could to follow; it's also harder when you're in the center of the rink and you can't see the numbers of players when they're on the defense, since their backs aren't always turned to the rafters. Either way, the point stands that he's not strictly a fighter. At least not in my opinion

Your opinion is much appreciated and their's no way your going to get inside DL's head and know who he's going to sign. Unless your the ghost....

Old
08-09-2011, 02:15 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorley 33 View Post
And by the way, can someone tell DL to PLEASE draft a forward. We have to many D-man and this team needs quality forwards...

Next years draft is the year of the defencemen too.
He drafted five of them in this year's draft. (Andreoff, Shore, Mersch, Lowry, and Schumaker)

Old
08-09-2011, 02:24 AM
McSorley 33

Yeah, but those guys are more along the lines of role players. Guys who file out your bottom lines, maybe with the exception of Mersch.

Lowry and Mersch are crash and bang type guys, not guys who have the potential to score 25-30 goals a year, thats what I meant. The car driver and AA are viewed as third line guys too.

Outside of the goalie, this draft was a good draft to fill out our bottom lines. Just how I see it.

Old
08-09-2011, 02:30 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorley 33 View Post
Yeah, but those guys are more along the lines of role players. Guys who file out your bottom lines, maybe with the exception of Mersch.

Lowry and Mersch are crash and bang type guys, not guys who have the potential to score 25-30 goals a year, thats what I meant. The car driver and AA are viewed as third line guys too.

Outside of the goalie, this draft was a good draft to fill out our bottom lines. Just how I see it.
Yeah, pretty hard to get guys with 25-30 goals potential in the third round or later, but I think Nich Shore has the potential to be a top-six forward. Many think he will make team USA's roster this year and he was very impressive during development camp.