HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Completely "Off Topic" MegaThread III

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
The Completely "Off Topic" MegaThread III

Uh huh.

Old
05-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Roccoman

RE: iPhone4

Drake - i assume you want copious quantities of media on the device, thats why you want a 64gig device and nothing less will do? cant go without having every season of Dexter when yer on the go in the off chance yer trapped in an elevator for 37 hours?

for me its 2fold - i want a more fun phone for travel and overall recreation, and for work i need to learn to develop for the iPhone (eventually).

i want to stress that it is NOT just for playing angry birds.

Old
05-02-2011, 01:42 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I have a 64gb itouch and it's so overkill, that my last one I downgraded to 32gb.

Unless you're planning on carrying a video library around....which seems odd. Who really likes to watch shows or videos on something so small unless you're forced to do so for some reason.

I have netflix for streaming if I feel like watching something....no need to carry around my library, nor do I really enjoy watching tv or movies on my itouch....

Now.....I am getting my ipad2 with 64gb, but never again for an itouch/iphone.

Old
05-02-2011, 01:46 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

You really don't need massive storage space on a phone anymore with Amazon's cloud drive out.

05-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Music. All of it. On my phone. iPod on my phone. Want it.

Plus apps and games and that kind of thing, but mostly I want to put my mp3s on my phone so I don't need to carry an iPod and a phone around.

I don't watch video on my phone.

Old
05-02-2011, 02:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Damn....how much music can you possibly have? 20k songs?

I have a little over 1000 songs and it's 3.8gb....I have another 4 gigs of apps (that's 94 apps)....and 1g+ of pics....

Old
05-02-2011, 02:18 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Yeah, cloud drive dude.

Old
05-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Damn....how much music can you possibly have? 20k songs?

I have a little over 1000 songs and it's 3.8gb....I have another 4 gigs of apps (that's 94 apps)....and 1g+ of pics....
well lets do da maff.

1 song (lets assume standard mp3 or m4a compression) so lets go with an average of 5mb / song (and that file size may be a little high but its a nice round number)

that means roughly 200 songs per gig... but in reality probably closer to 250.

so Drake needs room to store about.... 12000 songs?

Old
05-02-2011, 02:27 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

I have about 8850 songs right now, but I would only be tempted to listen to maybe an eighth of that most of the time.

Cloud drive.

Old
05-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
I have about 8850 songs right now, but I would only be tempted to listen to maybe an eighth of that most of the time.

Cloud drive.
thanks to you i signed up and am uploading my free 5gigs as i type this.

see? i listen to the BB apologists

Old
05-02-2011, 02:39 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccoman View Post
thanks to you i signed up and am uploading my free 5gigs as i type this.

see? i listen to the BB apologists
If you buy one CD from them, its automatically upgraded to 20 gigs free. Or at least, that was the case at launch, not sure if it still is.

Also, anything you download off Amazon doesn't count against your space and is automatically added to your cloud drive.

Old
05-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Easily that number. Yes. Why do you think Apple was able to sell, and bothered coming out with those later-generation iPods? Were people really buying it for the 2.5" screen? It was still about the music. The video was a novelty. For video to genuinely drive the product, you really did need the thin/light tablet market to mature. Everyone converted a movie and carried it around on their iPods for a while as a novelty, then realized that movies on a 2.5" screen sucked. People used 80-160GB of space for their music.

Old
05-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
If you buy one CD from them, its automatically upgraded to 20 gigs free. Or at least, that was the case at launch, not sure if it still is.

Also, anything you download off Amazon doesn't count against your space and is automatically added to your cloud drive.
i do recall that offer but i cant find any info on it still being active... between the 16 gigs on teh iPhone and 5 cloud gigs i should all set...

drake - i bet you had a van to carry around all those vinyl records in crates back in teh day.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Oh, not at all. The exact opposite, in fact.

I remember that one time when I paid for music. Once.

More than ten years on, your tastes tend to veer to the eclectic, and you begin to hoard all kinds of crap. Add digital bootlegs, hundreds of them, and you end up with easily 12,000+ songs. Everything in the last few years has all been encoded to 320 kbps. It certainly adds up.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:39 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
yeah not getting the whole 'moar storage!' stuff for phones. As far as video even for 4" screens it isn't great. I have a PMP with a 5" screen that I use a ton for videos when using the tread mill. 5" seems to be a decent size for a video experience.

05-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Apparently no one is getting it, because there isn't a phone out or coming out with a decent hard drive. Music, not video storage.

Cloud computing would be fine if I was satisfied that access would be always assured, but it's spotty. If it doesn't work all the time, it doesn't work. It's not like you're connected via a RJ-45 cable with a mobile device. If I'm listening to music on a morning commute on the metro, well the cloud doesn't do me any good.

Old
05-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

There are some Foxconn prototype iPhone 4s floating around in Hong Kong with 64GB, and a lot of speculation that the iPhone 4 almost had it, but that Apple dropped it from that iteration to as to introduce it with the iPhone 5 (and probably not much else new when compared to the iPhone 4).

I'll say this much: If this phone takes off as a 720p HD video camera, and Apple would certainly like it to do so, then capacity will shoot up once again as a desired feature. Whatever their crazyass reasons, I just hope they do it.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Roccoman

so i just figured out i am sitting on about 14gigs of music on my system... some of that includes old podcasts and whatnot ... but still ... alot more than i thought

after weeding it out a bit i hope most of it can squeeze into the iPhone ... i think i'll have to be a wee bit selective (no Diablo / 8 bit Legend of Zelda soundtracks dammit)

Drake - from a business perspective it does not make sense for the Apple to make obsolete their iPods by making their phones do everything they do (which they do) AND giving them equal or even comparable storage)

my $.02

Old
05-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Well, it looks like the 64GB is pretty close to happening, to the extent that you can really put much stock in rumors, anyway. So that makes me happy. But yeah, the iPhone won't have the 120GB+ capacity of the iTouch models. They won't utterly cannibalize the iTouch. It will always have more capacity.

I have many GBs' worth of podcasts myself, and download a lot of them. So add that to the music.

Old
05-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Roccoman

at some point i imagine the mobile device craze will force manufacturers to distill their product line to a single device... the i, uh... iThing. it does everything, has 5 terabyte storage, and can play Quake 10 with 41fps.

Old
05-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Media convergence, I agree, but only to a point.

Gaming on mobile devices has a definite role, and there is money there, but it's a certain kind of game only. Certainly not shooters. Short time wasters, little puzzle games, angry birds and plants vs. zombies are excellent examples of games that thrive on small screens. Many need the real estate, though. Even more important is shooter interface and controls. This is why the iPad shows limitations with certain types of games despite having so much more room with which to work compared to phones.

Old
05-03-2011, 10:36 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Phone games are for time wasting on the toilet at work, clothes shopping with the wife, aides to watching "16 and Pregnant" when the liquor cabinent runs dry...

Oh, I almost forgot. F U Sony.

Old
05-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Phone games are for time wasting on the toilet at work, clothes shopping with the wife, aides to watching "16 and Pregnant" when the liquor cabinent runs dry...

Oh, I almost forgot. F U Sony.
side note: the second my kid starts being interested in TV that crap is banned from my household... already informed the wife she better enjoy it while she can. "Teen Mom" as well.

HSHS - guess yer weekend was shot eh? sorry man... bachelor weekends are few and far between i imagine...

Drake - 2 words for ya: Gaming Gloves. as technology barriers drop / vanish its going to be easy to play your favorite FPS / MMORPG while commuting to work, waiting at the dentists office, on the john at work hehe... or simply walking down the street. and i bet you will be able to do it all within 10, perhaps 15 years... it may not be mainstream but it will be an option.

and that, my friends, is the 5th sign of the Apocalypse.

btw - saw Dead Space (i think that was the game) on the iPad and it looks great... not sure how good the gameplay... i think with the right design tablets can be great gaming consoles.

Old
05-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Where I think that you will have some options, and to some extent those exist today, is that the MMO you play at home on a PC or console (if there is a difference between the two), will have increasingly useful adjunct mobile apps that let you tweak your characters, play on auction houses, etc. during the day, but that mobile gaming app isn't going to replace the big screen or the high-res, large monitor. Small isn't better for visual stimulation until you're projecting images onto your retinas. The trend is towards smaller and more powerful computing, but larger and larger displays — thinner and lighter perhaps, but surface area is still king. Mobiles get around that by creating new and addictive genres intended for the commute, for the waiting room, for the wait between ordering and your food arriving to your table.

There is definitely that gaming market, but it's circles that only overlap a little bit. The mobile market doesn't cannibalize the PC and console markets.

There is a market for games that you play for a little while, in small chunks, but there is still a market for games you play for seven hours at a stretch. You aren't going to hold the screen, the entire iPad-like device, for that time. Once you are no longer willing to physically hold up the device, it's over. It's a different gaming experience.

Old
05-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
that said, top down games like Starcraft, Warcraft or what have you, (heck, Diablo or another type game where you can get away with more basic actions) could have a market in an iPad like device.

I certainly would be down with that.

Though, fps games? No thanks.

Closed Thread