HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Training Camp Thread

Old
09-22-2011, 11:48 AM
sk84fun_dc

vCash: 500
Flemming played the first preseason game in Baltimore, the one with iffy ice/horrible conditions...he was paired with Wellar, who was also playing his first ever NHL preseason game. link to Wellar story by Leone including comment on Flemming

Looked a bit nervous and then settled in from what I saw. IIRC, they were on the ice for a goal.

In real general terms, Flemming looks the same as I recall, skating is a plus, plays confident but size is an issue at times. The ice and pairing on Tuesday didn't do him any favors.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Langway
Intangibles

VogsCaps: #Caps cuts prior to noon practice: Holtby, Wellar and Ford to Hershey. Potulny, Hanson and Richmond to Hershey, pending waiver clearance.

A bit surprised Hanson was cut already. The battle for what seems to be the last three forward spots down to Sjogren, Beagle, King, Eakin, Perreault & Bourque.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:50 AM
txpd

i dont see a battle there among those 6 for the final three spots. the caps are pretty well set up to keep beagle, sjogren and king. i dont think there is anything that the other three can do to make a healthy roster.

the open forward slot is for a 3rd/4th line player. sjogren and beagle are that while perreault and bourque are not. eakin is a free trip to hershey.

i thought bourque looked really strong in the only game i watched a lot of. he was consistantly on the puck and getting pucks to the net. i just dont think there is anything he can do to play one of the other three off the roster.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Langway
Intangibles

VogsCaps: By my count, that leaves 29 players still on camp roster: 17 forwards, 10 d-men and two goalies. Leaves six forwards vying for three spots.
VogsCaps: From where I sit, they are: Beagle, Bourque, Eakin, King, Perreault, Sjogren.

I'd agree that 17/33/83 have been the default options all along but the smaller options have always had a shot since the Caps often don't ice a traditional third line. Perreault also has waiver status in his favor this time around. It probably boils down to 33/85 at this point and if Sjogren isn't one of their best four centers then it might not be a bad idea for him to get minutes in Hershey for a bit. Depends on their valuation of 85.

Old
09-25-2011, 12:55 PM
txpd

i dont see it that way as i dont think there is anything bourque can do to make the roster. if bourque is locked out by anything but an injury, then perreault is in the same catagory. imo.

king is almost a wasted roster spot. seems they want him there as insurance.

Old
09-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Funkyalligator

It's a total shame that the caps preseason games haven't been broadcast because it means the fans haven't gotten a good look at sjogren. I've been really interested to see what he brings to the table especially in his physical abilities and faceoffs. By all accounts he is doing very well and could be 3rd line center.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
VogsCaps: #Caps cuts prior to noon practice: Holtby, Wellar and Ford to Hershey. Potulny, Hanson and Richmond to Hershey, pending waiver clearance.

A bit surprised Hanson was cut already. The battle for what seems to be the last three forward spots down to Sjogren, Beagle, King, Eakin, Perreault & Bourque.
A bit surprised Hanson and Holtby were already cut. I guess they wanted Holtby to start getting reps with Hershey, but I wouldn't have minded another pre-season game for him. I also wish Potulny was given a better shot at the final forward spots (especially given he played well in scrimmages). He's put up 15 goals in the NHL before. Coming into camp I felt he was on par with Perreault and Bourque, but I guess they've looked better in the pre-season (damn non-televised games).

As for Sjogren, he's been excellent on the draw, but I don't know if I'd say he's a 3C based on what little I've seen of him. He's a tenacious forechecker and strong on the boards, but his offensive play isn't on par with what I'd want out of a 3C and he's not strong enough defensively to be a shutdown guy. He's good for a "grind you down" and cycle in the offensive zone type line, so that may work in his favor with guys like Ward and Chimera as probable 3rd liners.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 02:26 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
VogsCaps: By my count, that leaves 29 players still on camp roster: 17 forwards, 10 d-men and two goalies. Leaves six forwards vying for three spots.
VogsCaps: From where I sit, they are: Beagle, Bourque, Eakin, King, Perreault, Sjogren.
Where do you get three forward spots?

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Knuble
Semin-Johansson-Brouwer (playing monday so his spot isn't open)
Chimera-Laich-Ward
Hendricks-Halpern-XXXXXX
XXXXX

Looks like 1 roster spot + the 13th F to me, no?

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Where do you get three forward spots?

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Knuble
Semin-Johansson-Brouwer (playing monday so his spot isn't open)
Chimera-Laich-Ward
Hendricks-Halpern-XXXXXX
XXXXX

Looks like 1 roster spot + the 13th F to me, no?
They will probably carry 14 forwards...That way they don't have to expose someone to waivers.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 02:40 PM
txpd

that would be likely. mcneill requires waivers to send to hersehy, but it looks like erskine will start on ir/ltir. that means mcneill stays as 7d. that leaves two spare forward spots.

Old
09-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Yeah, that's assuming they carry 14F+7D. It's their usual preference. I think Collins is above McNeill in the depth chart if Erskine starts on IR.

Bourque has more or less just been showcased for other teams but Perreault has had a legit shot because he plays center on a team not entirely established at the position. Again, three scoring lines provides him a path. By all accounts I've read/heard King has had a pretty solid couple of pre-season games. He makes the team on merit at this point. Same with Beagle...they belong. Maybe they don't threaten existing fourth line options but they're simple, low-maintenance depth/scratches.

Joe B. live-blogged some thoughts on the Chicago game.

Old
09-25-2011, 04:00 PM
txpd

bourque is being showcased to other teams? why would mcphee do that? sign him to trade him? trade him for next to nothing or lose him on waivers if he cant get two teams interested? i dont see that.

three scoring lines provides a path, but all of the indications that ive seen including the veteran players acquired is that the days of fleischmann and fehr as 3rd line wingers for a 3rd scoring line are gone. i dont see wingers for a 3rd scoring line. do you?

Old
09-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Showcase as a potential waiver claim as a courtesy for coming back and likely playing for Hershey. It's not much but they're giving him a longer look than he should be given.

They still ran with a weak third scoring line last season with Chimera and Fehr and the pieces are pretty much still in place. The options are better two-way wingers now for the most part, esp. if Chimera is on the fourth line instead, but there's room for a smaller spark plug sort of 3C if they kill it in pre-season. That hasn't happened.

Old
09-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Funkyalligator

I see things like this:

Ovie-mojo-knuble
Semin-backstrom-brouwer
Laich-sjogren-ward
Hendricks-halpern-chimera

King/beagle

Alzner-carlson
Green-hamerlik
Schultz-wideman

Erskine, although if he is on IR they keep mcneil.

Of course goaltending is vokunn-neuvy

Old
09-25-2011, 05:20 PM
txpd

they did do that last season with perreault and johansson and even aucoin take turns at the 3c spot as a scoring line. what i am saying is that mcphee has changed the makeup of the roster. the caps no longer have spare top 6 wingers that make up a 3rd scoring line. fleischmann and fehr are both gone. they have been replaced by ward and brouwer also potentially by beagle and sjogren.

what the caps now have more of than they need are physical players that can play win up and down the lineup or 3rd and 4th line winger. the caps have two skilled forwards in the two swedes and an abundance of big players more physical than skilled and that includes laich and knuble.

i suppose you could consider konowachuk-halpern-dahlen a 3rd scoring line because they could all score 20g's. the way i see it, the only way the caps use their 3rd as a scoring line is if these big checkers score as well. we'll see.

Old
09-25-2011, 05:23 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyalligator View Post
I see things like this:

Ovie-mojo-knuble
Semin-backstrom-brouwer
Laich-sjogren-ward
Hendricks-halpern-chimera

King/beagle

Alzner-carlson
Green-hamerlik
Schultz-wideman

Erskine, although if he is on IR they keep mcneil.

Of course goaltending is vokunn-neuvy
close. i stand by the idea that boudreau will continue to keep ovechkin and semin on opposing wings. i also doubt seriously that laich would be used as a wing on a 3rd line.

if laich plays 3rd line, he will center. laich would be better than sjogren at center in that lineup. my guess is that either laich plays 2LW or 3C. just my 2cents

Old
09-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Assuming they keep Johansson and Ovie together, here's the line-up I posted on the main board.

Ovechkin - Johansson - Brouwer
Semin - Backstrom - Knuble
Chimera - Laich - Ward
Hendricks - Halpern - Beagle
King/Sjogren

Alzner - Carlson
Schultz - Green
Hamrlik - Wideman
Erskine (McNeill)

Vokoun
Neuvirth

I would like Hamrlik and Schultz swapped, but I don't see Boudreau doing it. He likes Scheen. Perreault and Sjogren could be swapped if waivers are are feared. King has played his way into a roster spot at this point, don't really see him as threatened.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:39 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I'm not opposed to Johansson on the top line and I'd really like for Ovechkin and Backstrom to be split up, but I sincerely doubt that it's going to happen.

Yes Johansson is getting reps with Ovechkin in the preseason, but I think it's just part of the process of grooming him for a more offensive role.

Old
09-25-2011, 08:43 PM
EroCaps

Ovechkin can make any line work if he's in shape and giving it his best. I'm really not worried who his C is, just so long as they have 2 top 6 Cs this year.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:54 PM
Funkyalligator

I might switch sjogren and laich but I see chimera playing the 4th till the trade deadline and the caps trading him for draft picks
and moving beagle into the lineup

Old
09-25-2011, 09:26 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I'm not opposed to Johansson on the top line and I'd really like for Ovechkin and Backstrom to be split up, but I sincerely doubt that it's going to happen.

Yes Johansson is getting reps with Ovechkin in the preseason, but I think it's just part of the process of grooming him for a more offensive role.
i am curious. you are not nearly as enthusiastic about johansson with OV as you are about backstrom NOT with OV. did you have something else in mind?

btw...agree that as soon as the games count and no later 19 and 8 will be together again

Old
09-25-2011, 09:40 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i am curious. you are not nearly as enthusiastic about johansson with OV as you are about backstrom NOT with OV. did you have something else in mind?

btw...agree that as soon as the games count and no later 19 and 8 will be together again
The other thing I had in mind would be an established 2nd line center playing for us, but it's not an option so it's pointless to discuss.

I think it's important for both Ovechkin and Backstrom to grow their respective games independent of each other. Like really important. To the point where I would roll the dice on Johansson centering Ovechkin. As ero alluded to, it's not like it could really fail too terribly. Ovechkin had (in my opinion) his second best season with Zubrus as his center.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:43 PM
txpd

i thought i remember you saying that johansson was not qualified as the 2C. as the 1C, i am surprised you aren't disgusted.

backstrom getting back on the right track with semin has its interests as well.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:53 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i thought i remember you saying that johansson was not qualified as the 2C. as the 1C, i am surprised you aren't disgusted.

backstrom getting back on the right track with semin has its interests as well.
He isn't qualified for either role. But he's going to be in one of them regardless.

And hell, he can't be worse than Zubrus, right?

Old
09-26-2011, 12:31 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Assuming they keep Johansson and Ovie together, here's the line-up I posted on the main board.

Ovechkin - Johansson - Brouwer
Semin - Backstrom - Knuble
Chimera - Laich - Ward
Hendricks - Halpern - Beagle
King/Sjogren

Alzner - Carlson
Schultz - Green
Hamrlik - Wideman
Erskine (McNeill)

Vokoun
Neuvirth

I would like Hamrlik and Schultz swapped, but I don't see Boudreau doing it. He likes Scheen. Perreault and Sjogren could be swapped if waivers are are feared. King has played his way into a roster spot at this point, don't really see him as threatened.
That's pretty much the line-up I expect Boudreau to go into the season with. I love the idea of Johansson with Ovechkin, their speed matches each other. Semin and Backstrom together will give other team fits, and that might be the most expensive 3rd line in hockey.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote