HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Training Camp Thread

Old
09-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Bure

vCash: 500
Why would they keep Orlov as 7th d while Erskine is injured, no point of him not playing games. I guess this means he's first call-up?

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:35 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I had opposite reaction. Didnt find it interesting or enlightening. Exhaustive statistical analysis unnecessary to establish what every Caps fan over age of 18 months already knows - Ovie shoots a damned lot and has a comparatively low shooting percentage. So what? If you score 50 to 60 goals each of your first FIVE years in the league, you are an elite scorer, period, end of story. It's a very difficult thing to do.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 01:35 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I'm a bit surprised that Katie seems sure that there's only one roster spot open for Earkin, Perreault and Sjogren. Considering how he was used last season, I'd very much think King is on the bubble. Seems to me that Boudreau would prefer any of those three over a seldom-employed enforcer.
you could be right. i can't escape the thought, though, that king is on the roster as an insurance policy. after the way he was used last season, if they didnt have a plan for him, they would have bought him out or waived him or something other than keep him on the roster.

its like mcphee thinks that he is going to need a fighter for 10 or 20 games and a reminder to regular opposition that he is there and can be used for the next meeting if need be.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

King has played well in the pre-season, has he not?

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 02:17 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
King has played well in the pre-season, has he not?
I thought so. In the Baltimore game he and Beagle were the best Caps on the ice.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 02:40 PM
bonzilla

King was waived..last February.At his current salary, maybe GM feels he can continue to send him thriough until his level of play becomes attractive enough for someone to put in a claim..Intersting.

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
If the Caps need an enforcer that guy can be John Erskine. He's almost as good as a fighter as King and he's not a liability on the ice. No reason at all for King to make the team.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 04:46 PM
sk84fun_dc

I have King on the bubble, especially because of the waivers and how he was used last year, but I think most have him penciled in to start the season. One thing with King is that he does require re-entry waivers if he cleared on the way down and was assigned to the AHL and then they recalled him. Also, Poti's LTIR cap situation gives them more cap room in a way compared to if Poti was healthy, so I'm guessing they keep him to start as the 14th forward, but it doesn't seem farfetched to think his time is limited.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
It seems that the Sjogren/Eakin/Perreault battle for one spot was from Boudreau's presser, though the question was somewhat leading. King should be on the bubble, despite better play in the pre-season. Outside of dropping the gloves he's still a pretty replaceable player.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Millhaus

The advantage King has in making the final 23 is that they don't care if he sits in the stands most nights. Eakin on the other hand has to make the top 12 forwards IMO as there is no way they want him not playing somewhere. I would think they would want Sjogren playing somewhere also.

Millhaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:36 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
If the Caps need an enforcer that guy can be John Erskine. He's almost as good as a fighter as King and he's not a liability on the ice. No reason at all for King to make the team.
Did King even win a single fight last year? I'm summarily unimpressed with every facet of his "game".

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:38 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
The advantage King has in making the final 23 is that they don't care if he sits in the stands most nights. Eakin on the other hand has to make the top 12 forwards IMO as there is no way they want him not playing somewhere. I would think they would want Sjogren playing somewhere also.
I expect King is the 14th forward, but fwiw, if he doesn't make the team, it is Beagle who is in and out of the line-up. The 2 rookies are only going to be on the NHL roster if they are playing; sure, it's possible someone could be healthy scratched for one isolated game to watch, etc., but I think/hope most here understand the waiver/playing time situation with Eakin and Sjogren.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:22 PM
txpd

* Erskine as the enforcer: I dont think McPhee would do that. Erskine has been concussed, iirc, twice in fights in the last couple/three years. Erskine will fight, but does not want it to be part of his basic job description and i think McPhee wants his presence around the net more than he wants a fighter out of him.

* Boudreau's post practice pressure seems to indicate that Orlov won't be the 7th d. Its probably Erskine. He seemed to say that McNeill or Collins could be recalled anytime, but they were not playing anymore preseason games and Orlov had one more coming. My read is that Orlov goes back after the next game. That the Caps go with 6 d if til Erskine is ready and callup someone from Hershey if one of the 6 goes down with an injury.

Old
09-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Funkyalligator

There is one thing to note about king...this is the first off-season he has been injury free in several years so he has had a chance to train. Toward the end of last season he seemed to finally have his legs under him. Eakin will be in the AHL and MP will be traded.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:39 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Ultimately i dont think Caps coaches or front office will ever believe in MP. As the saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt. I think he could go somewhere else, like Winnipeg, and score 20-25 goals and be a fan favorite.

Speaking of scoring 20 - 25 goals, Andrew Brunette went on to have a nice, consistently productive career after we lost him to expansion Preds. Different type of player, style wise, but someone who benefited from the change of scenery, particularly when the new team offered much better opportunity for him to step in and be a key guy.

And then there's Zednik. Another guy i liked, and one i figured was good for 25 to 30 per year somewhere else. Didnt happen. He ended up being more of a sound-and-fury-signifying-nothing type player. Could skate like the dickens, but never really put it all together. Even after bleaching his hair.

Gash to the carotid didn't help. That'll dampen a guy's spirit.

Old
09-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
Ultimately i dont think Caps coaches or front office will ever believe in MP. As the saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt. I think he could go somewhere else, like Winnipeg, and score 20-25 goals and be a fan favorite.

Speaking of scoring 20 - 25 goals, Andrew Brunette went on to have a nice, consistently productive career after we lost him to expansion Preds. Different type of player, style wise, but someone who benefited from the change of scenery, particularly when the new team offered much better opportunity for him to step in and be a key guy.

And then there's Zednik. Another guy i liked, and one i figured was good for 25 to 30 per year somewhere else. Didnt happen. He ended up being more of a sound-and-fury-signifying-nothing type player. Could skate like the dickens, but never really put it all together. Even after bleaching his hair.

Gash to the carotid didn't help. That'll dampen a guy's spirit.
Sami Lepisto has also played well when given a chance.

Mr Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:58 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Upon further review, it does appear Zednik scored 22, 19, and 24 goals, respectively, in his first 3 seasons after getting traded to Habs from Caps. Importantly he was able to play 82, 81, and 82 games in those seasons, something he was generally unable to do in DC. Like Brunette and potentially MP, he benefited from move to a place where he could play every night.

Old
09-29-2011, 11:04 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

But i stand by the general assessment that Brunette wound up having solid if unspectacular NHL career while Zednik's was pretty forgettable, outside of the neck injury and the hat trick against Wings on Zed Head promotion night.

Old
09-30-2011, 06:59 AM
txpd

lets not go overboard. lepisto has been marginal. i was a lepisto fan, but given the chance in pheonix and as tight as their budget is, they traded him to columbus at the deadline last season. columbus then let him walk. chicago signed him as a spare for $750k.

Old
10-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

What are the "team building" activities they're doing this year?

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:10 PM
SameOld

Apparently they went ***** shooting today... I can't even imagine how that went.

Edit: hah, it blocked it out... they shot clay pigeons.

SameOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:18 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

***** is blocked?

Bawhaha! Hilarious.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:44 PM
txpd

*****? good lord. its a program error. they meant to block sloan and not *****

Old
10-03-2011, 09:41 PM
LetsGoBears

Haha, those last couple post made my day!

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
But i stand by the general assessment that Brunette wound up having solid if unspectacular NHL career while Zednik's was pretty forgettable, outside of the neck injury and the hat trick against Wings on Zed Head promotion night.

My recollection is that Brunette had a lot to do with the Caps playoff run in 1998. He was a god on the PP. Also, Phil Housley was expert at rushing the puck up ice. He was very good that year until the Wings schooled him in our D zone. He looked bad in the Finals and I was glad to see him dismissed. But it was a mistake in hindsight.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote