HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kid loses hockey trick shot - for swapping with twin

Old
09-02-2011, 01:47 PM
PuckSim8

vCash: 500
Good on the dad, he did the right thing here. It's a shame that the insurance company decided to not give them the money, but that's their perogative. The fact that they donated 20,000 to charity is awesome and helps those who really need it.

For those of you blasting the Dad for doing the right thing and telling the truth, I seriously hope that you don't really believe that. The fact that people are willing to do anything for money as long as they can ''Get away with it" is truly scary. Being honest and doing the right thing is more important than money no matter what. Good people have good things come to them in the end. It's 50k that they didn't have before the shot and they were able to survive just fine. The corporation did not rob them of 50k, nor did the Dad cost them 50k.

In the end the only thing that actually changed is that youth hockey in Minnesota gets 20,000 dollars. And the kids got scholarships to a summer hockey camp too, so that's not too bad.

PuckSim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 01:48 PM
SpezDispenser

I wouldn't have said anything, but I assume he didn't need any cash at all.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 01:50 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
I hope they don't have severe financial difficulties down the road.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Gobias Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Yes, why did he do that?

And my guess, the father has a pretty good economy, and just wanted attention and thought it was worth 50 grand.
Or he shrugged it off as a fun event with a minimal chance of possible concerns...

You honestly think the Dad thought, jeez, if the kid makes the shot we might lose 50k, but the publicity is worth it!...If he did, that man is a prognosticator extraordinaire!..

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
If any of you read the article it said the father just had to sign the kid who took the shot's name on the raffle ticket. All they have to lie about is who bought the ticket. Big deal.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Well, I suppose that's something to tell the judge when you're up for defrauding a company for 50k...I don't think he'd care though...
I don't think you get my point, banks, insurance companies and a ton of rich people steal legally and no one's the wiser. Ever heard of the Cayman Islands?

Oh noooooo, 50,000$ is missing from the multi-billion dollar pile...

I guess we won't be able to buy that diamond encrusted stapler the boss wanted.

Strik_IX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Gobias Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
I don't think you get my point, banks, insurance companies and a ton of rich people steal legally and no one's the wiser. Ever heard of the Cayman Islands?

Oh noooooo, 50,000$ is missing from the multi-billion dollar pile...

I guess we won't be able to buy that diamond encrusted stapler the boss wanted.

Well, I suppose that's something to tell the judge when you're up for defrauding a company for 50k...I don't think he'd care though...

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 04:08 PM
homersimpson

I am sure that someone would have ratted them out. The father did the right thing and the insurance company had no reason to pay the winnings. The rules were not followed and ergo there is no payout to be made.

The company did a very generous thing by donating $20,000 to youth hockey, how people are saying that the company are bad is beyond me.

homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Sensation

If they're willing to give up 50K, they're probably already pretty well off.

Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 04:44 PM
delled

Drum roll***

And they would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for...

....their meddling father

*tsst tsst rimshot

delled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Roomtemperature

Teach your kids the lesson that if you can take advantage of a large company or rich person and get away with it its okay. If you steal or take advantage of the old lady down the street living off her wellfare check that's wrong.

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Caior89

vCash: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432 View Post
Nice to see that society (more than 50% of people in this thread) thinks that it is OK to screw the insurance company and cause higher rates for everyone, and that it is OK for a father to teach kids that lying is OK if you get away with it.

1. Enough people aren't old enough in the thread to have to pay insurance.
2. No one in the thread actually has kids.

Why else would they advocate stealing from an insurance company?

(In your alternate ****ed up world...)

As this story unfolds, the insurance company finds out through a hot tip that the Smiths defrauded the insurance company out of $50 grand, the father goes to jail and the kids join a gang to help support their crack habit.

This next generation is in good hands...
Perfect!

So many warped values in this thread.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 05:30 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Good on the father for coming clean. Still would have been nice of the insurance company to give the prize to the family. It seems like a contest that they expected no one would ever win. It reminds me of that "impossible" shot from Semi-Pro. Luckily for them, technicalities allowed them to avoid paying the prize.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 06:24 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Pops is a fool. If he knew they would have withdrawn the 50K, I highly doubt he would have come clean.

Unless they're already rich as balls, providing for your family is priority number one, not telling a white lie is way lower on that list. He ****ed up and now he's too foolish to admit it so he acts like everything is good.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Pops is a fool. If he knew they would have withdrawn the 50K, I highly doubt he would have come clean.

Unless they're already rich as balls, providing for your family is priority number one, not telling a white lie is way lower on that list. He ****ed up and now he's too foolish to admit it so he acts like everything is good.
The more likely answer is he didn't need the money and took it as a teaching opportunity.

Any grown man knows he wasn't getting the money the moment he told.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 06:39 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
The more likely answer is he didn't need the money and took it as a teaching opportunity.

Any grown man knows he wasn't getting the money the moment he told.
All he taught those kids is that nice guys finish last. I don't see what the great lesson here is; tell the truth and you won't get 50 grand? Wow, sign me up for that...

Like another poster said, this isn't Disney World. This is the real world. Try to be innocent and always honest and you'll get left with nothing. That's what the real lesson here is. Hopefully pops and his kids learned it alike.

Old
09-02-2011, 06:46 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
All he taught those kids is that nice guys finish last. I don't see what the great lesson here is; tell the truth and you won't get 50 grand? Wow, sign me up for that...

Like another poster said, this isn't Disney World. This is the real world. Try to be innocent and always honest and you'll get left with nothing. That's what the real lesson here is. Hopefully pops and his kids learned it alike.

My parents have never lied or cheated and I'm living a pretty good life. Speak for yourself.

Old
09-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
And what if the family didn't need the 50k?

Because you're bad at managing your income doesn't mean everyone else is, not everybody struggles to pay their bills, for all we know that 50k could've just been spent on a brand new car.
I'm bad at managing my income? No. I watched my mom and dad work odd jobs for years (their education from their native country isn't accepted here, and they had two kids to feed so they couldn't go back to school), saving up enough to pay me through college and university. The first thing I'm going to do after graduating and working a few years is buy them their first house, that's the kind of person I am. 50k would help me achieve that, or would have helped them feed me and my brother and maybe help either of them attend university and get a higher education in Canada.

These are just the many ways money can help families, and I'm sure I'm not the only one with a story like this. Maybe the family is well off, or doesn't need the money, but always save for a rainy day.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 07:03 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
wow man, wtf.

Good for the family, good for the kids. The insurance company had every right to just call it a day and not do anything but they gave up some $ for the community. So it isn't a lot of money (to an insurance company), but still...It's an insurance company; despite what some adverts will claim, it's one of the most heartless, people-hating industries in the world. Giving up anything in this case was amazing.

Kudos all around. Minnesota nice--we're not losing our morals as quickly as the rest of the nation it seems.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 07:06 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanchion for MVP View Post

My parents have never lied or cheated and I'm living a pretty good life. Speak for yourself.
Your parents HAVE lied, and you're being naive. Everyone lies, there are times when it's necessary. You're clearly too young to understand these things.

Old
09-02-2011, 07:26 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
Your parents HAVE lied, and you're being naive. Everyone lies, there are times when it's necessary. You're clearly too young to understand these things.
Well obviously they've lied, but not to the degree of $50,000. They've never lied to put themselves in a better financial position. My mom's worked the same humble job for the past 16 years, and my dad spent over 10 years at university earning a PhD, and worked in places like Northern Alberta and Brazil in order to support my family. I'm on track to do the exact same thing.

You make it sound like it's impossible to live a good life by simply working hard and earning it. Obviously this "idiot" father thought that teaching his kids the right thing to do was more important that money.

P.S. There's a difference between age and maturity. Age is just a number.

Old
09-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
I hope they don't have severe financial difficulties down the road.
And if they do, it would have absolutely nothing to do with the $50K they could have "won"

If you need to rely on free prize money in order to get by, then you have much bigger problems to worry about.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 07:37 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanchion for MVP View Post
Well obviously they've lied, but not to the degree of $50,000. They've never lied to put themselves in a better financial position. My mom's worked the same humble job for the past 16 years, and my dad spent over 10 years at university earning a PhD, and worked in places like Northern Alberta and Brazil in order to support my family. I'm on track to do the exact same thing.

You make it sound like it's impossible to live a good life by simply working hard and earning it. Obviously this "idiot" father thought that teaching his kids the right thing to do was more important that money.

P.S. There's a difference between age and maturity. Age is just a number.
If they were so different, I wouldn't have been able to guess your age based on your maturity level. Age is more than just a number. Everyone at 18 thinks they're wise and have the world figured out. That doesn't last that long. Maturity will come when you realize how young you actually are.

Old
09-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:

I doubt that. I'm sure he hoped they would still give it to them, but he wouldn't have felt so guilty if he actually believe it was no big deal.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 07:43 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
If they were so different, I wouldn't have been able to guess your age based on your maturity level. Age is more than just a number. Everyone at 18 thinks they're wise and have the world figured out. That doesn't last that long. Maturity will come when you realize how young you actually are.
Throw your cliches out the window. Breaking the rules and taking $50,000 from a company is more mature than telling the truth? Because that is exactly what you think the father should have done. Okay then.

Aside from that, I'm not sure how you know I'm 18. Kinda creepy.