HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011-2012 Atlantic Division

Old
09-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Incognito31

vCash: 500
2011-2012 Atlantic Division

Since the lockout the Atlantic Division has been in my opinion one of the most competitive divisions in the NHL. Do you think each team will be better or worse compared to last season?

Rangers:

Devils:

Islanders:

Flyers:

Pens:

Incognito31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Rangers: Better

Devils: Slightly Better, not a playoff team

Islanders: Better, still no playoffs though

Flyers: Worse

Pens: Slightly worse as Crosby may miss some of the season and may not be the same. Also never know how Malkin's knee will be. Our main competition for division title

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

It's between us and Pittsburgh for the division. Philly has a decent shot, too. I think we match up well against everybody in our division.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Giacomin

Rangers-Better I think that adding Richards plus the young players getting more experience will help. I think they can go on a roll this year but are probably a year away
Devils-Worse Brodeur is getting older and I just think they are a mess
Islanders-Probably about the same, they have some good pieces but will miss the playoffs again
Flyers- A little worse, there chemistry has changed and I am not convinced that their goalie can play good under pressure
Penguins- Probably better especially if Crosby is back. This one is the toughest for me to decide because of Crosby. I still would not write them off if Crosby misses most or all of the year

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:13 AM
blue425

Philly could be an experiment of success, however with so much turnover I think the opposite is more likely. I'm hoping is a better way to put it.

If everything plays out as I expect I see the Rangers and Pens fighting for the top spot.

I also see the Isles sneaking in at 8.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
2nd toughest division IMO. You can make a case for all central teams have a shot at the playoffs.

Rangers: Definitely much better barring an injury to Staal or Lundqvist. The addition of Richards will also help the team rack up more goals for support for Henrik.

Devils: Slightly better. Healthy Parise makes up for that, but an injured Zajac will lead them to struggle IMO. Brodeur is also a shell of his former self and I can see Hedberg possibly taking starting duty.

Islanders: Neutral. Still have piss poor goaltending to make it out of the bottom 10.

Flyers: Neutral. Tons of question marks after trading away Carter and Richards, but they still have a very good team. Also think Bryzgalov will have a bigger impact with an elite defense core like the Flyers.

Penguins: Worse. Pretty self-explanatory.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Jersey Girl

IMHO the Atlantic division is about on par with the Northeast and Southeast divisions. Without Crosby, possibly a little below par.

The Central and Pacific divisions are far superior to the Atlantic, and the Northwest is far inferior.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:52 AM
WeWillWinTonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
IMHO the Atlantic division is about on par with the Northeast and Southeast divisions. Without Crosby, possibly a little below par.

The Central and Pacific divisions are far superior to the Atlantic, and the Northwest is far
inferior.
Southeast, no.

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 12:25 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Philly is a hit or miss team for me.

Too much turnover, especially considering some of it was the core.

We've seen what happens when 30-50% of the squad is changed in one summer. It usually takes a while to form chemistry. Personally i think they are all over the place with the balance of the team, and i was not a fan of the Jagr signing.

Pitt is going to have trouble sustaining the elite reputation they've built with Crosby being so-so healthwise. I just hope for our sake that when Sidney does suit up, they arent blowing the whistle every time hes hit. It sucks for the league to lose such a great player, but you can only protect those players so much. I think Malkin will have a very good year, and i thought that Sullivan pick up was one of the best of the offseason. they'll be in the mix for sure.

I wouldnt give up on the Devils, but for me it comes down to three things with that team. Lack of puck moving defenseman, Marty's play and what kind of system DeBoer will institute and will it be enough time to implement it fully. It usually takes a while for the team to adapt if its a unique system. Many of the old dogs may have to learn "new tricks". They could challenge for a spot imo, simply because they have some firepower up front that has to be respected.

The Rangers obviously upgraded and im thinking if all goes well health wise theyll be challenging for home ice.

The Islanders have a nice group of youngens but the depth after that is thin. The bigger question is can guys like Molson and PAP keep up their paces. Also an even bigger question is will these young players stick around once they hit the market, given the Isles financial issues. When does Wang stop pumping his dough into a lost cause? That being said, it will be tough for a team like the Isles to make the playoffs, considering how much the East in general improved.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 09-02-2011 at 12:35 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 01:39 PM
skroob**

The rangers are a hard team to nail down.

While they really only upgraded one position, it was by far their weakest. But, you also have to consider the "incremental" upgrades from within the team, as is gained just from younger players becoming more experienced.

our ceiling is 3rd (i dont think we can top boston or washington) by winning the division, or at the basement level 8th, IMO. However, even in 8th place, we would be a 'stronger' 8th place than that of last year.

I think a lot of teams in the east got better this season, so you cant look at just the rangers improvements within a bubble. In other words, were our upgrades even better than other teams upgrades? They would have to be for us to move away from the bottom-seed territory.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Ola

I am with Kershaw 100% on the Penguins.

They got going last season and could keep it up while struggling mightly. Reminded me of Philly the season before they finished last overall in the NHL.

Anyway Malkin is back and will be a force. Without him I would have them very low. People say that their core is so good, I don't agree really. While being a good backup for their two horses, they are just incomplete without them.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 02:15 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

I maintain that strong playoff teams are built through the C and D positions. A great center can mask the fact that you have mediocre wingers, while a very good goalie can cover for some defensive deficiencies.

Rangers: Improved center depth ten-fold. Now have a clear-cut #1 guy, allowing for Anisimov and Stepan to progress as the #2-3 duo. Defense is still very young but very talented, and Hank is good enough to cover for expected mishaps. Not a cup contender in my eyes, but a sure-fire playoff squad.

Devils: Lost their #1 center for the first month or two of the season, leaving their center depth painfully thin, which adds to their already painfully thin defensive depth and aging goaltending duo. Not expecting much from them. The right coach can produce results, but DeBoer will sure have his hands full.

Islanders: I like their forward group. They are young but good. Tavares is a stud. They could use a top 4 d-man, and their goaltending is also a complete toss-up. Will be too inconsistent to make the playoffs, but like always, they will be a complete pain in the ass to play against.

Flyers: They traded 2 of the top 5 centers from within the division last season . I honestly have no idea what to expect from them, but think their playoff hopes rest on the shoulders of their soon to be 37 year old "captain."

Penguins: Will win the division if Crosby can come back before Christmas. Are a playoff team regardless.

Overall, I think if Crosby is shelved for the season, the Rangers have a great chance of winning the division. Otherwise, I see the Penguins taking it.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 02:40 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I agree with everyone else said.

Rangers - Rangers really only improved one area. But it was a big one. They're only missing one more elite forward.
Penguins - Still very good team. But Crosby health is a question.
Flyers - They're going to take a step back. They got good talent back in the trades but you just don't know or expect the same production as they traded.
Devils - Old goalie. D stinks.
Islanders - Young but questions on the blue line and between the pipes. Not ready to win yet.

That is how I see the final standings.

Rangers toughest competition will be the Pens. imo

The good news is they've played well against them the last couple of years. Especially in Pittsburgh.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Everyone sucks but us

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 03:00 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I agree with everyone else said.

Rangers - Rangers really only improved one area. But it was a big one. They're only missing one more elite forward.

I agree but i also think it holds water that guys like Dubi/Step/Anisimov/Staal/McD etc are all one year older. Very few teams in the league, let alone the division have a young core that has grown together and each year they have shown developmental improvements.
I think that counts for a little extra. Not much but measurable.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I am with Kershaw 100% on the Penguins.

They got going last season and could keep it up while struggling mightly. Reminded me of Philly the season before they finished last overall in the NHL.

Anyway Malkin is back and will be a force. Without him I would have them very low. People say that their core is so good, I don't agree really. While being a good backup for their two horses, they are just incomplete without them.
Damn it, imagine if the somehow get Yakupov.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
Rangers: Finally obtained #1 center, but the success on that signing hinges on chemistry between Richards and Gaborik. Depending on any health issues occurring during the season they should place better than last year. Extremely young defense may deter the Rangers from making it far in the playoffs if they make it in.

Devils: Really turned it on the last half of the year and will still be a scary team even without Zajac for a bit. A healthy Parise and Kovalchuk still means they are a team to be reckoned with, even with an aging Brodeur. As long as they don't have players giving up on their coach again, they will still be a tough team to beat.

Islanders: One year older, still growing, still building. Will still give the Rangers a tough fight every game we play against them this season. A porous defense and goalie marks them as out of the playoff picture though.

Penguins: Although not the game-changer that Crosby is, they still have Malkin and decently put-together team. However unlikely, if Crosby doesn't return at all they will have a shot at the playoffs due to good coaching and good chemistry.

Flyers: The biggest "what-if" team of the upcoming season. That big of a change really doesn't bode well for predictions; they can place anywhere in the division.

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 05:00 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekz View Post
Rangers: Finally obtained #1 center, but the success on that signing hinges on chemistry between Richards and Gaborik. Depending on any health issues occurring during the season they should place better than last year. Extremely young defense may deter the Rangers from making it far in the playoffs if they make it in.

Devils: Really turned it on the last half of the year and will still be a scary team even without Zajac for a bit. A healthy Parise and Kovalchuk still means they are a team to be reckoned with, even with an aging Brodeur. As long as they don't have players giving up on their coach again, they will still be a tough team to beat.

Islanders: One year older, still growing, still building. Will still give the Rangers a tough fight every game we play against them this season. A porous defense and goalie marks them as out of the playoff picture though.

Penguins: Although not the game-changer that Crosby is, they still have Malkin and decently put-together team. However unlikely, if Crosby doesn't return at all they will have a shot at the playoffs due to good coaching and good chemistry.

Flyers: The biggest "what-if" team of the upcoming season. That big of a change really doesn't bode well for predictions; they can place anywhere in the division.
Glass half empty much?

They'll make the playoffs.

As far as the defense being young. Yes but it has experience though.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Everyone sucks but us
Well played sir, well played..... I honestly only see Rangers and Pens really "Improve"

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 05:27 PM
92hatchattack

I think the Rangers will be considerably better this year after cleaning out the garbage and bringing in a #1 center. Those other teams can suck my balls.

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 05:52 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I think this division is one of the more obscure ones coming into the year.

There are a lot of possibilities and a lot of question marks.

For instance: PIT has issues surrounding both Crosby an Malkin. How much, if at all, will Crosby play this year? Is Malkin good to go? Can PIT hold on again without them if need be?

For PHI: Can they develop chemistry quick enough? Can their new players step in and contribute a big role? What will they get out of Jagr?

For NJ: Which NJ team will we see? The First half one of the Second half one. How will Parise bounce back? What about aging Marty?

For the Isles: Can they get solid enough goaltending? Will their young players continue to contribute majorly?

For the Rangers: Can Richards and Gaborik mesh? Can the Rangers get enough scoring?

So every team has a ton of questions that need to be answered. This division isn't as lopsided as some people are led to believe. It really is a crap shoot and the Rangers can finish anywhere from 1st to 4th and I wouldn't be surprised.

09-02-2011, 07:51 PM
gotmonte

Rangers: Improved. 5th in the Conference.

better prediction

Last edited by gotmonte: 09-02-2011 at 08:35 PM.
gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 08:05 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Rangers: Improved. 5th in the Conference.

Islanders: Improved. 8th and final playoff spot to lose in game 6 of first round

Devils: Improved. Playoff 6th position. First round ouster.

Penguins: Depends. Whether Sidney is in or out. Sidney IN, 4th in Conference and who knows in playoffs. Sidney OUT, Penguins out of playoff contention at the very end of the season.

Those are MY predictions. Prove me wrong
Easy. There's no one in 1-3rd from our division.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 08:06 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Rangers: I've been a Ranger fan for a long time, and I've never before said I feel confident that we would win the division. This year, I think we will win the Atlantic, finish 3rd in the conference, and have home ice advantage for the first time in what seems like eternity.

Islanders: Goaltending a problem, will miss the playoffs again. A young team with a lot of scoring, but will give up too many goals and have problems on the PK. Will finish 13th-15th.

Devils: Brodeur is rundown and will not carry this team to the playoffs. Parise will struggle first year back since the injury, and without Zajac for the beginning of the season they Devils will struggle early on once again. Will miss the playoffs, finish 10th.

Flyers: Made a couple of very dumb moves in my opinion, for a franchise that was on the right track for a long time. Will not go deep into the playoffs, but will squeeze in at number 8. With that being said, Jagr will destroy us this year with 10 goals in 6 games.

Penguins: Will be our number 1 threat, as most here have said. Without Crosby, I'm strangely confident we will win the division. With Crosby, it will be a battle to the final game. We have yet to lose in Console Energy Center and hopefully the road success continues into next year.

09-02-2011, 08:09 PM
gotmonte

fixed

Last edited by gotmonte: 09-02-2011 at 08:35 PM.
gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote