Flames "Very interested in Lecavalier"

Old
09-02-2011, 05:07 PM
goodsauce

vCash: 500
Flames "Very interested in Lecavalier"

Hey Guys, take it for what its worth but here are the tweets I saw:

According to HockeyBreaks's Twitter

Sources saying that the Calgary Flames are very interested in Tampa Bay Lightning forward, Vincent Lecavalier.

Discuss.

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 05:15 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 50
It would cost a ton and that contract is awful. I'd give a 1st, Granlund, Stajan and Hagman for him. That's it.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 05:23 PM
goodsauce

Or maybe it would take less. JUst spitballing here, but they have Stamkos, their true #1, and Lecavalier's contract is so bad they might take less value just to unload him and acuire a cheaper, more fit-for-the role #2 centre?

My offer, if my argument above is true, would be. Stajan (Could be a better fit for the #2 spot.) Bourque, and a 2nd.

Thoughts?

Old
09-02-2011, 05:44 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

I think the lightning would consider that offer. If I am the lightning though I am looking for a cheap #2 C to replace Vinny. That would be Jokinen. I could see Jokinen, Hagman and a 2nd.

Old
09-02-2011, 05:53 PM
goodsauce

Yeah, thats a pretty good offer too. Hagman would probably bounce back if he went to the east, too. Yzerman definitely doesnt just hang up the phone. He would at least have to consider it.

Old
09-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Flamesfan13

I think we trade anyone expect backlund or bartschi for him. These two guys are our future.

Flamesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Signature
Trademarked™

Regarding the Jokinen, Hagman offer, I think that's enough, and a third in the '13 draft. I really don't want Calgary to give up any more '12 draft picks.

Flames could roll Lecavalier on the first line, Backlund on the second, Stajan/Morrison/Moss on the third/fourth.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 06:47 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Sorry guys, Vinny is still a crucial part of our franchise and our plans for the next few years. Once he got healthy, he posted a full ppg for a good while last season. I don't think you have the assets to get him from us unless we're talking some kind of first rounder, a good forward and Giordano in return.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Dutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHammy View Post
Sorry guys, Vinny is still a crucial part of our franchise and our plans for the next few years. Once he got healthy, he posted a full ppg for a good while last season. I don't think you have the assets to get him from us unless we're talking some kind of first rounder, a good forward and Giordano in return.
You can keep him until 2020.. Have fun with two big fish in a little pond

Dutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 07:21 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
As a player, based solely on his abilities and production a 1st a Forward and someone like Gio would likely be value.

However, Vinny has one of the worst contracts in the league and the Lightning already have a fantastic #1 Center in Stamkos. I assume Hedman/Connolly will be commanding big bucks one day and once they get their contracts something will have to give. I think that will be Vinny.

I can understand wanting him on your team now, as he is a good use of the cap space but once he is older he will be hard to trade and that will make it very hard for the Lightning to sign their young players.

Old
09-02-2011, 07:46 PM
neo45

I imagine the lightning ownership want to shed that contract while they can, and at least get some value for it.

My skepticism is that I don't see the Flames owners wanting that contract for themselves

Stajan and Nemisz and that's where I stop. If they want Hagman they can have him too. Vinny's contract is enough to sink a franchise

neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 08:05 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I imagine the lightning ownership want to shed that contract while they can, and at least get some value for it.

My skepticism is that I don't see the Flames owners wanting that contract for themselves

Stajan and Nemisz and that's where I stop. If they want Hagman they can have him too. Vinny's contract is enough to sink a franchise
The way I see it, without a #1C we have no chance at a cup, with Vinny we have a 3ish year window to win a cup. Even if the Flames are a mess for the next 7 years after. It would be worth it to win a cup. Its a HUGE risk but what have we got to lose?

Old
09-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Steven

vCash: 1619
This is one of those cases where the player in question has a lot more value to the team he's on than he would on the market. TB fans seem content with Vinny's production, but his contract bogs down his trade value.

As for the offer of a 1st + top-six forward + Giordano, not a chance. Not unless something BIG is coming back this way, and I don't mean Vinny's contract.

Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

I wouldn't give much for him.

Stajan, Bourque, 1st.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:01 PM
StreakingRed

Quote:
I don't think you have the assets to get him from us unless we're talking some kind of first rounder, a good forward and Giordano in return.

Not a chance in hell I'd give up that package for Lecavalier.

I like the player, hate the contract.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Not a chance in hell I'd give up that package for Lecavalier.

I like the player, hate the contract.
I wouldn't even give Gio for Vinny straight up.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:34 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

It's very much a case where the player's value to his franchise exceeds his objective market value. But with that said, did you guys watch a lot of Lightning games down the stretch and into the playoffs? Vinny was SUPERB. I don't have any issue with his contract at this point. I doubt he'll play until he's 40, plus since he's still got gas in the tank and takes a lot of pressure off Stamkos, we have to keep him unless we get heavy value in return, regardless of contract.

In a lot of ways, Vinny and Iginla are actually in similar situations. I see similar numbers for them next season if both are fully healthy.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:41 PM
StreakingRed

Quote:
It's very much a case where the player's value to his franchise exceeds his objective market value.

Yeah, understandably so.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:55 PM
neo45

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
The way I see it, without a #1C we have no chance at a cup, with Vinny we have a 3ish year window to win a cup. Even if the Flames are a mess for the next 7 years after. It would be worth it to win a cup. Its a HUGE risk but what have we got to lose?
If Vinny had a 4-5 year contract I would agree (and would give a lot more to get him). He is an elite player who is better than any current flame beside Iggy, but his contract is too long and too much cap hit. I seriously believe that Tampa management can't handle the 4 (or 5) straight years of paying their #2 centre 10 mil. He is a #1 on most other teams though, if Tampa is looking to dump him while they can I certainly hope the Flames are bidders. Always loved him as a player

Quote:
In a lot of ways, Vinny and Iginla are actually in similar situations. I see similar numbers for them next season if both are fully healthy.
Similar numbers (more goals by Iggy probably), but Iginla's contract is manageable by any team which makes his value much higher. Half the teams in the league couldn't handle paying Vinny that much for so many years, which means less bidders if he is being shopped

neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 04:07 AM
Qubax

Some of these offers with Barstchi, 1st rounders etc are a little ridiculous

Vinnie is still under contract until 2020!

In the cap world we live in Lecavalier's value is going to take the same hit Regehr's did.

Not saying, I wouldn't be interested in acquiring his services, but it's a looong commitment and the price(asset wise) needs to be right.

Plus, forget the cap hit, he makes 10 mill per year through the end of the 2016 season. Those are some pretty big coffers.

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
The way I see it, without a #1C we have no chance at a cup...
Even with Vinny (I think he's a great player and would be great for the city here) I think the Flames would be facing long odds to win the cup so if I were the team I'd pass - with great reluctance.

I'm probably one of the few people who think the Flames should recognize reality and head into some serious and old school rebuilding (Which is why I think Feaster should be replaced before things get really really bad). Acquiring Vinny would be great for the city in the short term but it would do nothing to help the rebuilding process that should be a priority right now.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 11:56 PM
JorgeRocks!

For 9 years at the money!? No thanks, rather have gomez honestly, just a shorter contract

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 12:35 AM
slappipappi

With 9 years to go on this contract, I wouldn't pick him up on waivers for nothing.

There's a cap in the NHL.

We now have a GM who understands that.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 03:11 AM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
With 9 years to go on this contract, I wouldn't pick him up on waivers for nothing.

There's a cap in the NHL.

We now have a GM who understands that.
Agreed.

Were any of you apprehensive about signing Richards? Lecavalier has a cap hit 1 mil higher and is less productive... both have 9 more years to go.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 04:38 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Agreed.

Were any of you apprehensive about signing Richards? Lecavalier has a cap hit 1 mil higher and is less productive... both have 9 more years to go.
Signing Richards to a long term contract would've been fine either way, we could keep him thru a rebuild if that was the case is my assumption. Plus it satisfies the fans clamoring for the #1 c.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote