Notices

Flames "Very interested in Lecavalier"

Old
09-04-2011, 05:09 AM
HoshiBlitz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Signing Richards to a long term contract would've been fine either way, we could keep him thru a rebuild if that was the case is my assumption. Plus it satisfies the fans clamoring for the #1 c.
TBH I would rather not have a #1C through a rebuild, or at least one at that contract and age, just my preference. It would be nice to have Richards though, our first line would be one of the best in the league.

HoshiBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 04:47 PM
therhino

This would spell the demise of the Flames organisation in 5 years...
- Given what the Flames would have to give up to get Lecavalier, and given what the Flames would have to give Lecavalier to play him.
- Dude has already shown that he has no chemistry with Tanguay, who arguably has the best chemistry with Iginla out of any player who Iginla has played with in Calgary.
- Lecavalier is racking up an impressive looking injury history, making it anyone's guess how many more years he can play a top 6 role.

Lecavalier is actually one of my favourite players in the league, but this opinion was based on watching him in 2004. The dude gave Iginla just as much of a run for his money as Derian Hatcher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOko5sPS5IE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HmZgHVyzU4

Lecavalier circa 2004 is no more however. He seemed to regain a step near the end of last year, but he ain't gonna make it last 9 more years.

On a side note, check out the absolute bomb Iginla drops on Hatcher's head after taking him down. Jesus.

therhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 233
This is actually very interesting, and I would not totally dismiss this rumor. Feaster had ties to B. Richards and the Flames were basically the runner up to landing him. Feaster obviously still has ties to Tampa and it is common practice that former GM's make trades and bring in players from their former teams (ie. Burke, Tallon).

I heard Feaster on the Fan not long ago and Rob Kerr asked him to explain how trades formulate. Feaster explained that trades can sometimes take days, weeks, months or even years to materialize if a GM really likes a particular player. This was the case with Sutter's obsession to acquire Jokinen. Feaster has said he has been in contact with all of the 29 teams in the NHL to discuss who is available and he has been clear it is his priority to land that elusive #1 centre that this franchise has long been looking to play alongside Iginla. So based on Feaster's ties to Tampa, our need for a #1 centre, and Feaster has gone on record saying he has been talking to teams, I can see how this rumor could definitely have some legs.

I can absolutely believe that Feaster would think that Vinny is an ideal centre to play with Iginla. I can absolutely believe that he has contacted Tampa to feel them out for what they would be looking for in return to send Vinny to Calgary. Vinny, Iginla and Tanguay would be one of the top lines in the NHL for at least the next 3-5 years. The owners have told Feaster that the Flames can be a cap team if needed. The window to win with Iginla is not huge, acquiring Vinny would address that. The question is, would the asking price be to steep for Calgary's pockets?

If Calgary put in a legitimate offer, I would guarantee the owners of Tampa would at least listen due to the length of Lecavalier's cap hit because they are going to want space to resign their own up and coming stars. I think for sure the Flames would have to part with either Backlund OR Bartschi, a good roster player and a draft pick.

An offer I think Tampa would probably consider and accept would be something like the following.

To Tampa:
Bourque
Backlund
1st round pick

To Calgary:
Lecavalier
2nd round pick

Personally I would trade Bourque and a 1st for Vinny in a heartbeat. It would be worth it for a real chance to win the Cup. What would sting is giving up Backlund, but you have to give a good player to get a good player back. And there is no guarantee about what kind of player Backlund is going to become. I would be on the fence with this trade, I hate the contract but for a chance at the Cup it may be worth it??

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Ruslan Zainullin

Lecavalier is a great player no doubt, but with the current condition of the flames it would seem that it would make more sense to work on rebuilding through prospects and the draft at this point than it would to pay an arm and a leg for Lecavalier. I thought thats what getting rid of regehr signalled, that the flames would be rebuilding, maybe im wrong.

Ruslan Zainullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 10:46 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
I have one thing to say to this: HELL NO. There is nothing the Flames can afford to give up that would make it worth acquiring Vinny "lol contract" Lecavalier.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
An offer I think Tampa would probably consider and accept would be something like the following.

To Tampa:
Bourque
Backlund
1st round pick

To Calgary:
Lecavalier
2nd round pick

Personally I would trade Bourque and a 1st for Vinny in a heartbeat. It would be worth it for a real chance to win the Cup. What would sting is giving up Backlund, but you have to give a good player to get a good player back. And there is no guarantee about what kind of player Backlund is going to become. I would be on the fence with this trade, I hate the contract but for a chance at the Cup it may be worth it??
That's an offer I might take a look at as well, but in the end a deal that the Flames would be better off passing on. After the Jokinen fiasco, I'm hesitant to bring a player like Lecavalier. The price is reasonable to expect but I'm thinking the Flames have more issues as a whole that getting Lecavalier would set the team back. The contract, while playing to our advantage in lowering the value of Lecavalier, will only hinder the Flames in the long run.

Certainly would be nice to have a player like him, but at this point in the where the team is, Iginla is in his career and as well as Lecavalier, Feaster should just stay away.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 12:24 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Some things I would like to point out in favor of acquiring Lecavalier. IF we got him, Backlund would basically be 3rd on our depth charts in terms of our centres. Backlund's potential is considered to be that of a top 6 player, however he would probably not see top 6 minutes with having Vinny and Jokinen in our lineup. Sutter has said he likes to use Moss (as well as Jokinen) as a centre because of his big body, so we could roll with a combo of Vinny, Jokinen and Moss as our centres for lines #1-3. Having this combination would make Backlund somewhat expendable and really Vinny would be our only big money centre on the roster as Jokinen could be resigned to a very reasonable deal.

I have to agree with the Lightening poster who commented on how good Vinny played the last 1/3 of the season for the Bolts. He was dominant and very good on the PP by being the main catalyst and generating lots of offensive scoring opportunities. Its arguable that he was the best player in the playoffs last year in the entire NHL.

For those concerned or hesitant by the "Jokinen fiasco", there are quite a few differences why this wouldn't happen with Lecavalier. In Florida, Jokinen was always "the guy" on offence and the Panthers never really played a style of hockey that required him to accountable at both ends of the ice. That changed when Jokinen went to Phoenix and his decrease in production was reflected by it. Sutter did not recognize this fact and the trend continued when he arrived here and he was asked to play at both ends of the ice and he actually had to learn how to do so.

Vinny has played alot of years under Torts, and he has also played with a number of other elite stars in the NHL and has still produced at a high level. Sutter is a demanding coach just like Torts and Boucher, so there is no reason to think that Vinny would not play at a high level here. Like I said, if the end of last season was any indication, Lecavalier still has a lot of magic left and is capable of playing at a high level. Acquiring him would be a risk no question, but if we are going to win with Iginla, there is not really a ton of other top centres that are available as options out there. Getting Vinny, would probably make all 3 players on that top line have close or over 90 point seasons and could make the Flames one of the top teams in the West again.

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I would take the risk. I think Backlund is going to be a really good player some day, but I don't think he is going to deliver this team a Cup and its apparent Iggy needs help to get it done. This would at least give us a chance.

Old
09-06-2011, 05:12 AM
jerrywally23*

Tampa Bay was only one Goal from the Stanley Cup Finals, so why would they trade one of there biggest assists in Lecavalier when you are this close to winning a Stanley cup. Also salary of 7.7 per year and a NMC (No Movement Clause), Calgary would have to dump a lot to make room for him with would put you no father ahead. Plus you would have to convince Lecavalier to wave his NMC to go to Calgary, I can't see why he would want to do this when he's quite content in hot sunny Florida with his 7.7 million a year

jerrywally23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 03:34 PM
SmellOfVictory

Let's put it this way: at a 7.7x10 (or whatever idiotic term it is) hit, Lecavalier played 2nd/3rd line competition with the Bolts last year and got outshot (not badly outshot, but outshot none the less). That is not worth giving up Backlund for. Realistically, the dude doesn't even live up to his cap hit, much less any assets the Flames would be expected to give up for him.

Old
09-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Feaster was prepared to break the bank to acquire Richards. If he had an opportunity to land an elite #1 centre, I don't think his cap hit is going to prevent him from making a run at him. Feaster has said its his goal to win the Stanley Cup and he also stated that we do not currently have a clear cut #1. Like I said earlier, Lecavalier may be the most available of any top centres out there due to his cap hit, if any major move is made to fill that position, this may be it.

Personally I hope it happens, I would love to see Vinny here. I still think he has at least 5 seasons of really productive hockey in him and that would keep the Flames competitive during that time. Bourque's offence could be replace via FA, and Vinny's presence would make Backlund expendable.

Old
09-06-2011, 07:07 PM
SmellOfVictory

Richards is twice as good as Lecavalier; I'd take much less issue with him at a 6.x cap hit FA signing than I do with any proposed Lecavalier trade.

Old
09-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Richards is twice as good as Lecavalier; I'd take much less issue with him at a 6.x cap hit FA signing than I do with any proposed Lecavalier trade.
This is one of the biggest over statements I've heard in a while. Its obvious that you did not watch him at all last season. Like I said, he was arguably the best player in the playoffs before Tampa bowed out to the B's in Game 7 of the ECF.

Old
09-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Beats By CoRD
Who really run this?

I would do Stajan/Jokinen, Bourque, and a 1st for Vinny. I really want to hold on to Backlund. He was brilliant the last 10-12 games of last season. That one could really bite us in the ass.

HawnzDynastyProductions.com
Beats By CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
I would do Stajan/Jokinen, Bourque, and a 1st for Vinny. I really want to hold on to Backlund. He was brilliant the last 10-12 games of last season. That one could really bite us in the ass.
If we could do Jokinen, Bourque and a 1st for Vinny that would be fantastic and its a fair offer! I just think the Bolts would insist that Backlund would need to be included if they are parting with a player of Lecavalier's caliber. I do not want to part with Backlund at all, but I think it would be worth it for how much it would improve our team and for the fact that moving him would not really be creating a hole in our lineup. But I hear ya, and I agree.

Old
09-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Ruslan Zainullin

lets face it though, the price for vinny would not be bourque and stajan and jokinen or a combo like that, it would be a couple of first round picks with backlund thrown in. it would be mortgaging your future the same way the leafs did with kessel, if the flames go through with this they better be real sure of their supporting cast.

Ruslan Zainullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 08:09 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
This is one of the biggest over statements I've heard in a while. Its obvious that you did not watch him at all last season. Like I said, he was arguably the best player in the playoffs before Tampa bowed out to the B's in Game 7 of the ECF.
He did play well in the playoffs, but playing well for a dozen or so games in the space of three years doesn't make a good player. He is, at best, a marginal 1st line centre at this stage in his career, barring some unlikely resurgence. I would bet a full paycheque that trading any combination of Backlund and picks for him would do nothing but harm to the Flames.

Old
09-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruslan Zainullin View Post
lets face it though, the price for vinny would not be bourque and stajan and jokinen or a combo like that, it would be a couple of first round picks with backlund thrown in. it would be mortgaging your future the same way the leafs did with kessel, if the flames go through with this they better be real sure of their supporting cast.
No it wouldn't. Kessel was a "young" player that seemed like he was a shoe in to be a least a PPG player and looked to be one of the next superstars in the NHL. I'm not sure if its been due to a lack of talent to play with or coaching, but it hasn't worked out for Kessel in TO thus far.

Vinny has already played over half of his career and he does not have a favorable contract. The Flames would be giving the Bolts way more cap flexibility and they should not have to mortgage their future to acquire him in the process. I don't think Bourque, Backlund and a 1st is mortgaging the future although it is a significant price to pay.

Quote:
He did play well in the playoffs, but playing well for a dozen or so games in the space of three years doesn't make a good player. He is, at best, a marginal 1st line centre at this stage in his career, barring some unlikely resurgence. I would bet a full paycheque that trading any combination of Backlund and picks for him would do nothing but harm to the Flames.
He played exceptional in the playoffs and was better than St. Louis and Stamkos. And did it for longer than the 12 games you suggested, he played in 18 playoff games and was one of the Bolts best players in about the last 30-35 games of the season. Again, I would argue that he was better than Stamkos down the final stretch of the season as Stamkos' torrid pace slowed somewhat. The reason for this was it was the first time in a long time that Vinny was finally "fully" healthy after a bad stretch of injuries over the last 2-3 seasons.

I would much rather have Vinny or someone like Spezza as he is a much more complete player and fits the identity of the Flames alot better. There is no denying that he has a very bad contract, but what he would add to the Flames would be invaluable. Iginla has always made players around him better and have career seasons in alot of instances. Iginla, Lecavalier and Tanguay would be incredibly hard for opposing teams to stop and they would be intact for a long time.

Old
09-06-2011, 09:28 PM
SmellOfVictory

Iggy's just too old at this point; I hope he remains productive for another 5+ years, but the risk of him hitting a downslope is far too great to trade young/future assets for another guy who's 30+ and isn't franchise material anymore. I really, really wish the talk of trading for a 1st line C would just die, and we could all suck it up and see how the Flames do with what they've got in addition to any good deals they can get (which is something you generally won't get trading for big name centre).

Old
09-07-2011, 01:31 PM
StreakingRed
Win For Gio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Iggy's just too old at this point

Okkkkkkk....

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:37 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post

Okkkkkkk....
Old as in a risk to decline, not old as in "currently too old to play well."

Old
09-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

The reason I am in favor of the Flames trying to get Lecavalier is because as of right now the Flames have will virtually no shot of winning the Stanley Cup next season. I know all of us Flames fans keep talking about the cap space that we will have next season, but the FA crop looks like its going to be slim pickings unless Parise hits the market. So really, any significant player added to this roster will have to be done by trade unless we can sign Parise next year, which will be a tough task given that virtually every team will be after the guy. By staying the course and not adding anyone significant, our chances of winning next year will be even slimmer given that we will have a similar core and guys like Iggy, Tangs and Kipper will all be a year older.

The Flames do not have a legitimate #1 centre and Lecavalier is that, and anyone who argues otherwise has not physically watched him play recently. Vinny is a huge offensive upgrade over Bourque, and while I think Backlund is going to be a very good player, losing him would not set this organization back by a tremendous amount. 60-70 point centres can be replaced thru trade and FA. 80-90 point centres can really only be drafted, because it is extremely rare that they become available by trade or FA. Adding Vinny would give us a real shot to win with Iginla while we can, and he is probably one of the only top centres out there that could be had for the right deal.

We would need to offer significant pieces, and proposal I made I think has those, but it is not selling the farm to get such a player.

Old
09-08-2011, 12:20 AM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey™

Assuming everything could fall into place and make this deal happen, I wouldn't be a fan of having a 39 year old Lecavalier's $7.7 million cap hit on the books someday. Ownership wouldnt eat Kotaliks contract so I doubt they would do the same for more than twice the money. That contract is nearing negative value to everyone not in the Tampa organization, and probably means Vinnys a Bolt for life.

There are better options out there for those who are patient.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Xelstyle

My biggest concern with this deal is that while we can all readily admit to the Flames chances of postseason success next season, or lack of, to what extent is increasing our chances by adding Lecavalier justified by giving away 2 important (not key, but simply important) pieces? Whatever combination of Bourque/Backlund/Bartschi/1st round pick is given, their loss should also be combined with the negative that is Lecavlier's contract.

In a sense, this is also admitting to how we're stuck with the same core once again for the next couple years but I think we would be better off with augmenting our aging core with younger talent rather than adding another older player. If all the star players involved (Iginla, Kipper, Lecavalier) were a couple years younger then I would absolutely jump the gun despite having the few extra years on Lecavalier's long contract. Now? Not so much.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 12:59 PM
GoFlames

No picks involved unless it is a swap with the Flames getting a higher round pick back (to absorb that gross contract). The Flames thanks to Feaster have cap flexibility now which is great. Stajan has to be involved, Boirque too as it creates space for young players on the team.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:23 AM
83DIZ65

Lecavalier is a pipe dream.... The Flames dont have the cap space or assets to realisticly make a play for Vinny. The reality is that the flames need to be sold off for spair parts and taken back to formula, not pick up more players who are good but not good enough to fill the holes in there roster..... not to mention theyd make a new hole by trading for vinny.... sorry but not only is it not gonna happen but theyd be idiots to try to make it happen. REBUILD REBUILD REBUILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

83DIZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote