HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Flames "Very interested in Lecavalier"

Old
09-16-2011, 08:26 PM
berto14

vCash: 500
Wait a minute, dizimal thinks the Flames should rebuild? What a fresh, new, insightful opinion - why didn't anyone else think of that!? I mean, it's all so clear to me now, it makes so much sense!

berto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:45 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
I'm going to have to agree with MVW on this one. I get people's skeptism with the length to the cap hit, given that Vinny is 31 yrs old, but with no risk comes no reward. It's apparent with the recent Flames signings that this organizations is going to go atleast try this to go post-season this year, and almost all flames fans don't see that panning out with the given roster.

Wiess, Horcoff, Spezza (doubtedly available), and Koivu are probably the only centres in the league that can slide between Tangs and Iggy and possibly be available for trade, and non of them are Vinny calibre. If, and a big if, the flames are going to go deep in the playoffs, they are going to need a top six able to compete with L.A, San Jose, Detroit, Vancouver, Anahiem, and Chicago.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:13 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I'm going to have to agree with MVW on this one. I get people's skeptism with the length to the cap hit, given that Vinny is 31 yrs old, but with no risk comes no reward. It's apparent with the recent Flames signings that this organizations is going to go atleast try this to go post-season this year, and almost all flames fans don't see that panning out with the given roster.

Wiess, Horcoff, Spezza (doubtedly available), and Koivu are probably the only centres in the league that can slide between Tangs and Iggy and possibly be available for trade, and non of them are Vinny calibre. If, and a big if, the flames are going to go deep in the playoffs, they are going to need a top six able to compete with L.A, San Jose, Detroit, Vancouver, Anahiem, and Chicago.
How the hell do you mention Weiss and Horcoff in the same sentance as Koivu and Spezza????

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 11:20 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
How the hell do you mention Weiss and Horcoff in the same sentance as Koivu and Spezza????
Weiss and Horcoff are the number 1 centres on their respective teams. That's what this is about; a number 1 centre.....

Old
09-16-2011, 11:25 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Weiss and Horcoff are the number 1 centres on their respective teams. That's what this is about; a number 1 centre.....
Horcoff wouldn't be number 1 for us.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 08:12 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Ya and Weiss and Horcoff are number 1 centers on their teams, they are not number 1 centers, huge difference. So why would we make a trade for them? To add another 2nd/3rd line center that we can force into the number 1 role.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Idk that Koivu is available without a pretty big overpayment. He finally has some wingers in Heatley and Seto, I think Minny is looking to make the playoffs this year themselves. I like Koivu alot, but he is not at the level of Vinny. I would argue Vinny would actually cost less or at least close to acquire as Koivu and I think Vinny would put up bigger numbers and is a better all around player. Statsny is another player I would love to get, his value is at the lowest it would be right now because he had a down season last year. However, the Avs are still really high on him and would only trade him if they had an offer they couldn't say no to.

Vinny is better than Koivu and Statsny, but easily has the worst contract.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 04:04 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Ya and Weiss and Horcoff are number 1 centers on their teams, they are not number 1 centers, huge difference. So why would we make a trade for them? To add another 2nd/3rd line center that we can force into the number 1 role.
I get that. And Vinny would be a number 1 centre in Calgary, but not in Tampa Bay. And Jordan Staal would be a number one centre in Florida, but is a number 3 centre in Pittsburg. I understand the dynamics... Those were centres from crappy teams that may be available, even though, as MVW pointed out, Koivu probably wouldn't be available.

We could use a legitamite number 1 centre. I don't think Backlund or Morrison between Iggy and Tangs help Calgary get to the playoffs, where Vinny might. Good teams don't give away their number 1 or 2 centres because if it's not broken, don't fix it. Tampa Bay Maybe an exception to this because Vinny is a salary cap nightmare.

Old
09-17-2011, 05:43 PM
MarkGio

I would trade perhaps: M. Backlund, R. Bourque, C. Sarich, 2nd round (2013)
The Bolts add much needed depth:

1. R. Malone -- Stamkos -- St. Louis
2. R. Bourque -- D. Moore -- T. Purcell
3. N. Thompson -- M. Backlund -- S. Downie
4. D. Tyrell -- B. Jones -- C. Ashton

1. E. Brewer -- V. Hedman
2. C. Sarich-- M. Ohlund
3. P. Kubina -- B. Clark
4. M-A Bergeron

The flames have a top line:

1. A. Tanguay -- V. Lecavalier -- J. Iginla
2. C. Glencross -- O. Jokinen -- D. Moss
3. N. Hagman -- B. Morrison -- L. Stempniak
4. T. Kostopo -- M. Stajan -- T. Jackman

1. J. Bouwmeester -- M. Giordano
2. A. Babchuck -- S. Hannan
3. C. Butler -- T.J Brodie
4. J. Negrin

Last edited by MarkGio: 09-17-2011 at 05:48 PM.