HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Avalanche Jersey Pickups

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2012, 12:10 AM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

vCash: 500
New pickup yesterday from Denver Athletic. All fouls present are ok with me . It looks great on, and the name on the back will look fantastic when I stand and raise my arms at Pepsi Center after the avs score a goal (believe me, I've tested it out in the mirrors in the bathroom about a thousand times so far) even without a nameplate.

more to come in a few weeks

Edit: Removed the "A". Size started to bother me. Plan to remove the crest and move it down an inch or so, like my white Forsberg. Also plan to remove the SC patch and put on a properly sized "A". Found plate material recently as well. Will have DA re-do the name with a plate after I strip the current letters. Little fouls are starting to bother me the more I get into collecting.

Last edited by SuperTheGreat: 08-18-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old
06-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Only foul I see is the "A" what are the others?

Old
06-21-2012, 04:18 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
Only foul I see is the "A" what are the others?
Well...there may be a few, I suppose, with the "A". I'm not exactly sure whether Forsberg wore an "A" at any time in a Starter jersey, but Jay (Avshockeypodcast) has a burgundy starter Forsberg with an "A" in his collection, so I'll consider that proof enough for me. He did not, however, wear the "A" in '96 when they won the cup, so pairing it with the SC patch is "wrong", right?. The "A" is the current size, about an inch or so smaller than the Starter era "A", but the space on the jersey between the crest and piping isn't big enough to fit the old "A" without running onto the piping, which really looks bad in my opinion, so I have DA do the smaller version for me. The cool part is that they stack it rather than kiss cutting it, which is accurate for the era, but not for the smaller "A" on current *cough* apron *cough* jerseys. I like to think of it like this: I probably have two of VERY few smaller avalanche "A"s that are stacked rather than kiss cut, and I think that's cool.

As for other fouls, technically the avs won the '96 cup in the inaugural Starters with the smaller crest on the front and they had a different Starter tag on the bottom right back making them easy to identify as a '95-'96. The foul is that I put the S.C. patch on the wrong year's jersey. The jersey also doesn't have a nameplate, which is a bummer for two reasons: 1) I bought the jersey new with tags and it came with a nameplate. But the Starter manufactured nameplate's curve didn't match DA's curve, so Nate didn't use it. Bummer, but I'd rather have the right curve and no plate rather than the other way around. 2) I'm not very big and the F and G in Forsberg wind up sort of in the backs of my armpits, so a nameplate would have stiffened it up, I suppose. Not to worry, though, it looks great from the back if I'm raising my arms in goal celebration - I've checked in the mirrors in the bathroom - and I plan to do a lot of at arm raising at future games in this jersey.

That's all I know of. Maybe Jay or TheU can find more for us

Bottom line is I love Peter Forsberg, I love Starter Mesh authentics, I want the "A" on the jersey because my memories of watching games with Peter the Great all have him wearing the "A" - but I want the jersey to look right when I wear it and the correct size "A" runs over an inch onto the piping on smaller sized Starter authentic jerseys and looks kinda dumb. I also want to celebrate my favorite team winning the championships they won, and I think of it like this: If I had had this jersey in 1998, before Forsberg wore the "A" and then he started wearing the "A" for many years, I'd have taken my jersey in and had someone put the "A" on for me. Same with my white authentic from '98...If that were my jersey in '98 and I wore it to games and to bars and to parties and lived & died wearing that jersey through '97 '98 '99 and 2000, then finally they win the cup again in '01, I would have taken my old jersey in and had the cup patch put onto it rather than going out and dropping mad cash on a new jersey.

Long answer, I know. But you did ask. And...I'm a teacher so I like to talk (just ask my wife). You shouldn't be surprised, though, if you've read any of my other posts .

Edit: see above post for it's edit

Last edited by SuperTheGreat: 08-18-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old
06-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

It was the "A" with the SC patch that I was refering too. The other stuff seems nitpicky so I wouldn't really call them fouls. And if your happy with it who cares what others think. It doesn't bother me that you have the "A" with the SC patch. Just something I noticed.

I can only think of two major fouls I have but I don't really care either. I have a Foote Pro Player Replica with the 2001 ASG patch sewn on (they had moved to CCM by then) and my Authentic CCM Sakic (that I bought at Pepsi Center) doesn't have a nameplate.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:30 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
It was the "A" with the SC patch that I was refering too. The other stuff seems nitpicky so I wouldn't really call them fouls. And if your happy with it who cares what others think. It doesn't bother me that you have the "A" with the SC patch. Just something I noticed.

I can only think of two major fouls I have but I don't really care either. I have a Foote Pro Player Replica with the 2001 ASG patch sewn on (they had moved to CCM by then) and my Authentic CCM Sakic (that I bought at Pepsi Center) doesn't have a nameplate.
I agree, 'nitpicky'...but I've read posts and forums where guys are crazy nitpicky...and I suppose that's their right, everyone can have his own set of standards for his collection. All those details just stick in my head, then I notice them on my jerseys. And I agree "if you're happy who cares what others think". Honestly, I just want to post my pics because I'm so amped that I found this hobby and want to address the 'fouls' up front so no one points them out to me as though I'd made a mistake and don't know what I'm doing.

Please don't think I took your post as an attack or took offense in any way. I didn't. I just like to talk about jerseys. Sorry if I came off defensive, not my intention.

I'd love to see your Foote Pro Player replica & Sakic authentic, you should post pics. I really like the PP replicas. They have the best shoulder patches of any avs replica and the material feels good too...but the sizing sucks for a guy my size - medium is too small and large is huge. Did you have the all star patch sewn on, or did you buy it that way? Crazy that they sell inaccurate jerseys at Pepsi Center. You'd think that would be the one place you could get something 100% on the money.

Like seeing members have minor fouls and not care. Makes me feel more normal. But the jerseyphiles do help out with the education for others (I wouldn't know an ounce if I didn't read the threads here with posts by Jay and TheU or the IceJerseys boards), so, nitpickers - don't lower your standards, you help us all know what's right & accurate!

Old
06-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTheGreat View Post
I agree, 'nitpicky'...but I've read posts and forums where guys are crazy nitpicky...and I suppose that's their right, everyone can have his own set of standards for his collection. All those details just stick in my head, then I notice them on my jerseys. And I agree "if you're happy who cares what others think". Honestly, I just want to post my pics because I'm so amped that I found this hobby and want to address the 'fouls' up front so no one points them out to me as though I'd made a mistake and don't know what I'm doing.

Please don't think I took your post as an attack or took offense in any way. I didn't. I just like to talk about jerseys. Sorry if I came off defensive, not my intention.

I'd love to see your Foote Pro Player replica & Sakic authentic, you should post pics. I really like the PP replicas. They have the best shoulder patches of any avs replica and the material feels good too...but the sizing sucks for a guy my size - medium is too small and large is huge. Did you have the all star patch sewn on, or did you buy it that way? Crazy that they sell inaccurate jerseys at Pepsi Center. You'd think that would be the one place you could get something 100% on the money.

Like seeing members have minor fouls and not care. Makes me feel more normal. But the jerseyphiles do help out with the education for others (I wouldn't know an ounce if I didn't read the threads here with posts by Jay and TheU or the IceJerseys boards), so, nitpickers - don't lower your standards, you help us all know what's right & accurate!
No, I didn't take it that way.

I'd love to show pictures of my jerseys but I don't have any. Some day I'll get around to taking them.

As for the Foote/ASG patch, I actually had my mom sew it on for me. I was still in college so money was tight and free is always the best.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:22 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
No, I didn't take it that way.

I'd love to show pictures of my jerseys but I don't have any. Some day I'll get around to taking them.

As for the Foote/ASG patch, I actually had my mom sew it on for me. I was still in college so money was tight and free is always the best.
Did she use "zigzag stitch"? If not, it's a foul. I know the $0 in college story. I could barely afford hamburger helper in college, and my wife and I will be paying off student loans until we're in our 70s. Free is nice. Take pics & post...this is the place.

Old
06-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go

vCash: 130
EPS can do repairs or fixes. I believe DA will only do a fix if they made a mistake.

Old
07-16-2012, 11:48 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

New pickup from Denver Athletic this week.

'01 Cup patch on a Starter rather than a CCM, but hey, I can only afford one white Sakic authentic and the '01 Cup is the one I remember most, so '01 magic lives with me through this jersey. Love the Mesh!

Edit: removed and moved the crest down about an inch on this one too. Looks much better.

Last edited by SuperTheGreat: 08-18-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old
07-28-2012, 12:39 PM
PAZ

vCash: 50
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180935923023?...#ht_500wt_1156

Thinking of picking up this jersey, just wanted to make sure it's an authentic (I can't tell besides the mesh). Any fouls on it?

Old
07-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
looks legit to me

Old
07-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Not an Avs jersey. But check your Marshall's, TJ Maxx and Burlington coat factories. Looks like Reebok and Mitchell and Ness are dumping old jerseys. Found Tom Jackson, Terrell Davis and Karl Mecklenberg all on sale for 60 bucks down from 250. Only got Tom Jackson. The TD and Mecklenberg were 4xl. They also had Orton, Eddie Royal and Knowshon Moreno.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
They also had Orton, Eddie Royal and Knowshon Moreno.

Old
07-29-2012, 12:13 AM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180935923023?...#ht_500wt_1156

Thinking of picking up this jersey, just wanted to make sure it's an authentic (I can't tell besides the mesh). Any fouls on it?
I saw this one too. It is an authentic and the customization looks good. The curve on the name is very good, if not perfect, and the cut of the numbers is right too. The 9 on correctly customized avs jerseys is easy to spot. The inner oval/ellipse in the 9 has a small hitch or inconsistency in the lower right on correct customizations.

The two things I did notice are that 1) the silver dazzle material looks muted and not as glittery as it should be and 2) it doesn't look like there is a nameplate. The dazzle could be due to the pics/camera issues, but it looks grey rather than glittery silver to me.

Something to think about is the price is currently up to 135 with shipping and will probably go up with over a day left. You can get a mint blank for about $100 and Denver Athletic charges $70 to customize, so for a few extra bucks you have the piece of mind that it's done by THE guys and don't have to wonder if it's legit. Just a thought. Let us know what you do.

Old
07-29-2012, 02:52 AM
PAZ

Quote:
I saw this one too. It is an authentic and the customization looks good. The curve on the name is very good, if not perfect, and the cut of the numbers is right too. The 9 on correctly customized avs jerseys is easy to spot. The inner oval/ellipse in the 9 has a small hitch or inconsistency in the lower right on correct customizations.

The two things I did notice are that 1) the silver dazzle material looks muted and not as glittery as it should be and 2) it doesn't look like there is a nameplate. The dazzle could be due to the pics/camera issues, but it looks grey rather than glittery silver to me.

Something to think about is the price is currently up to 135 with shipping and will probably go up with over a day left. You can get a mint blank for about $100 and Denver Athletic charges $70 to customize, so for a few extra bucks you have the piece of mind that it's done by THE guys and don't have to wonder if it's legit. Just a thought. Let us know what you do.
I live in Canada, so shipping it back and forth from Denver Athletic + customization would be quite pricey.

Old
07-29-2012, 08:31 AM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
I live in Canada, so shipping it back and forth from Denver Athletic + customization would be quite pricey.
Good point. Another thought about living in CAN is that Avs jerseys must be far rarer than here in CO. In other words, not as many to compare with, and if it is a tiny bit off, unlikely that anyone would notice. It is obvious that the customization was done by a pro, and it is in great, if not mint condition.

Good luck.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:07 PM
billybobjoe1881

Quote:
Good point. Another thought about living in CAN is that Avs jerseys must be far rarer than here in CO. In other words, not as many to compare with, and if it is a tiny bit off, unlikely that anyone would notice. It is obvious that the customization was done by a pro, and it is in great, if not mint condition.

Good luck.
When I went to Edmonton to watch the Avs play I saw at least 10 Blueberry Sakic Jerseys. And a bunch of jerseys with different size letters on them.

Old
08-03-2012, 12:31 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobjoe1881 View Post
When I went to Edmonton to watch the Avs play I saw at least 10 Blueberry Sakic Jerseys. And a bunch of jerseys with different size letters on them.
Ick. I'd rather have a blank then different size lettering.

Old
08-04-2012, 12:14 AM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

guys do you think this is legit or a knockoff? I'm thinking about getting it.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/JOE-SAKIC-siz...item53ebc919e3
and also does anyone know about the site icejerseys and the type of jerseys they sell? (RBK ones)

Old
08-04-2012, 02:04 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF007 View Post
and also does anyone know about the site icejerseys and the type of jerseys they sell? (RBK ones)
I personally like the old starter mesh jerseys a lot better then the newer ones. Don't know much about jerseys, but looks legit to me. If you wait long enough, you can find a mesh one for around the same price.

Old
08-04-2012, 12:47 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
It is a legit CCM replica jersey, not a knockoff. 550 is the number CCM used for its replica or "semi pro" jerseys. Replicas are easy to spot because they have a manufacturer tag on the sleeve and alpha sizing (S, M, L, XL). Nothing wrong with replicas, but there are differences between them and authentics. First, is exactly what PAZ said, the material on the Starter Mesh authentics is SO NICE! Patches, particularly the shoulder patches and the "A" crest on authentics are much nicer quality and all sewn on rather than just glued. Shoulder patches on the CCM replicas are lots worse than on authentics, or even old starter/pro player replicas. The material on replicas is a little thinner, CCM replicas don't have double shoulders or elbows and no replica has a fight strap.

The listing says the customization was done by a "licensed nhlpa jersey customization partner", which does NOT mean it looks exactly like the jerseys worn on the ice by the team (could be the photo, but the number on this one looks off center too. Would suck to drop that much cash and find out it's off center). Look at the 9 in the listing and compare it to the 9 on this jersey I had done by Denver Athletic.
The middle of the 9 on the 550 replica is smooth and symmetrical, while the 9 in this pic has a little inconsistency, or hitch, to the bottom right. The points at the upper left of both numbers is larger and the bottom two layers are wider on the authentic in this pic. Licensed nhlpa jersey customization partners have fonts that are close, but there are other customizers who have closer fonts to on ice, and Denver Athletic here in town does the jerseys for the team, and can do a blank jersey for you for around $70. Or you can wait and look for an authentic Sakic to show up on Ebay. They aren't that much more than this replica and they're MUCH nicer. That said, some people don't care about replica vs. authentic, and if that's you, this listing is a legit, brand new, nice replica jersey, but you could probably find a blank 550 on Ebay for cheap, send it to DA and wind up spending the same $$ for a nicer customization job. Just don't get suckered into buying a chinese knockoff for $35 on the web.

As for IceJerseys, it looks to me like all they sell are new Edge Replicas, which are not very nice. the shoulder patches are plastic, not embroidered and the material is thin. Even the Edge retail authentics are not very good quality (no double elbows/shoulders), and jersey freaks have had to resort to buying game worn/game issued Edge jerseys. Here is a thread you can read on Ice Jerseys Bulletin Board explaining the Edge 2.0 issues: http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=3539. If it were me and I wanted a new Edge jersey, I'd at least buy a retail authentic. I'd buy it blank and I'd send it to Denver Athletic for the customization. I've bought several Starter Mesh authentics and had them all done there and they look great: They're all up further in this thread if you want to take a look. Exact on-ice specs. Can't beat that. If you're interested, there are some other threads on IceJerseys you can read:
http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=2412
http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.php?showtopic=2060
And you can look here at some cool authentic/game worn jerseys: www.avshockeypodcast.com.

Good luck. Let us know what you do.

Last edited by SuperTheGreat: 08-18-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old
08-04-2012, 01:03 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
After a quick search, here's a decent blank for a decent price (and I've seen 550s, Pro Player replicas and Starter replicas for much cheaper). Send it off to DA and even with shipping both ways, you'd have the same jersey with on-ice customization for not much more money.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Colorado-Aval...ht_2124wt_1108

Old
08-04-2012, 10:08 PM
PAZ

This seems like a pretty good deal if someone wanted a Sakic Nordiques jersey replica (at least I think it is).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Sakic-Qu...#ht_500wt_1288

Actually on second thought, definitely looks fake.

Last edited by PAZ: 08-04-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old
08-04-2012, 10:56 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
This seems like a pretty good deal if someone wanted a Sakic Nordiques jersey replica (at least I think it is).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Sakic-Qu...#ht_500wt_1288

Actually on second thought, definitely looks fake.
Funny. I saw it and had the same thought process. Posted it on IceJerseys "Is it good or not" thread. Here are a couple of the responses:

"Definite fake, I can tell straight off by how bad it's made. It claims to be an authentic but there's no NHL crest/shield by the CCM on the hem and on the neck label it is usually blue above and below where it says official licensed jersey in English and in French when it's an authentic but it's grey on that one (also, on an authentics it says: Authentic On-Ice Game Jersey). "

I responded and asked if it is a replica that someone had customized and threw a fight strap in to pass off as an authentic...

"It wasn't even a legit replica to begin with, it's an out-and-out fake. A real replica might have a neck tag like that, but it won't have a numeric size tag. The blue color of the jersey is wrong, and if you look at the fleurs-de-lis the shape is all wrong. I'm sure the whole thing was made in China, including the crappy customization."

Here's a link to the thread if you want to read the whole thing:
http://forums.icejerseys.com/index.p...c=2060&st=5560

BTW Paz, did you get that Sakic Starter Mesh last week?

Old
08-04-2012, 11:49 PM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

Thanks guys for the responses, I was just looking for a yes/no type of deal to my question at first but after reading through I'm really considering a mesh jersey. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more (170-180) as long as i can get it before school starts. What do you think would be my best option?

Closed Thread