HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Predators Talk Part II

View Poll Results: Random question: Which of these jerseys do you like?
Preds normal home jersey 25 52.08%
Preds normal away jersey 23 47.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

vCash: 500
We maybe 7-3 in out last ten, but how we managed that is a mystery to me. We have stolen points in games we had no right being in and lost the games we should've won. I guess it balances out but the record right now does not reflect the overall performance of the team imho. This team still suffers from a lack of identity and will continue to do so, leading to frustrating losing streaks and long winning streaks. Thought this year was going to be different but I guess not.

Old
12-29-2011, 08:12 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
We maybe 7-3 in out last ten, but how we managed that is a mystery to me. We have stolen points in games we had no right being in and lost the games we should've won. I guess it balances out but the record right now does not reflect the overall performance of the team imho. This team still suffers from a lack of identity and will continue to do so, leading to frustrating losing streaks and long winning streaks. Thought this year was going to be different but I guess not.
I think the identity is a young, talented, inconsistent group prone to mistakes and an inability to stay focused for more than 2 consecutive periods. You may not like their identity, but they have one.

Old
12-29-2011, 09:10 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
Here's your choices:
Jan. 7 - Carolina
Jan. 14 - Philadelphia
Jan. 21 - Chicago
Feb. 25 - San Jose
Mar. 10 - Detroit
Mar. 24 - Winnipeg
Mar. 31 - Chicago

Winnipeg (well, you know..., also it's on HNIC), Chicago/Detroit (lots of their fans here), Philly (should be tough/good).

You really can't go wrong with any of them.
Pick one that we will probably win

Old
12-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Yahoo! Sportsí list of the top 10 sporting gaffes of 2011

Craig Smith blown empty net makes # 4
Vince Young "dream team" remark makes # 1

Old
12-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Biggun35
Bender

I see that Avery was waived again today, who picks him up?

Old
12-30-2011, 03:00 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggun35 View Post
Hartford

Old
12-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
not us, nor dallass

Old
12-30-2011, 03:22 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Unless a Gm wants to troll its own fans, nobody.

Old
12-30-2011, 05:01 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

One part of me wants to see the inevitable ****stirring caused by Avery and Tootoo on both wings, but then I realize he's got a price tag and is probably worth more trouble than he's worth. We have enough bottom sixers.

I get to spend a week or so in Nashville in January, gonna be hitting up a UFC event and Preds/Blackhawks the very next day.

Old
01-01-2012, 09:46 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
was perusing the Blues board reading their GDT from our game and it could have easily been a Preds board thread. They are playing well but not scoring a lot, winning with defense and goaltending. Some posters are saying the need to make a big trade for Iginla or someone similar, others are saying be patient, they are doing well enough, no need to sell the future, etc...

just thought it was interesting

Old
01-02-2012, 12:59 PM
sighthndlady

I hate having 3 days off. It's good for the boys to get a rest, but if all goes wrong between now and Thursday, here's how the standings in the West could look before our next puck drop:

Chicago 53
Vancouver 52
Los Angeles 45
Detroit 50
Minnesota 50
St. Louis 48
San Jose 46
Nashville 46
Dallas 45
Colorado 45
Phoenix 44
Calgary 43
Edmonton 37
Anaheim 27
Columbus 25

Old
01-02-2012, 01:44 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
was perusing the Blues board reading their GDT from our game and it could have easily been a Preds board thread. They are playing well but not scoring a lot, winning with defense and goaltending. Some posters are saying the need to make a big trade for Iginla or someone similar, others are saying be patient, they are doing well enough, no need to sell the future, etc...

just thought it was interesting
I would sell my foot for a Chris Stewart.

Old
01-02-2012, 02:29 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
I hate having 3 days off. It's good for the boys to get a rest, but if all goes wrong between now and Thursday, here's how the standings in the West could look before our next puck drop:

Chicago 53
Vancouver 52
Los Angeles 45
Detroit 50
Minnesota 50
St. Louis 48
San Jose 46
Nashville 46
Dallas 45
Colorado 45
Phoenix 44
Calgary 43
Edmonton 37
Anaheim 27
Columbus 25
I have finally learned after many years that you just worry about what we are doing, at least until the last week or so. We are on pace for about 97 points right now, which should get us in though probably no higher than a 6 seed at best.

If we can win these next two, we will have 50 points at the exact halfway mark, on pace for 100, which is guaranteed to be in and would give us a decent shot at the 4 or 5 seed.

if we drop below a 94 point pace for very long, i'll be really worried....

Old
01-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Top 6 Spaling

That Jagr-Giroux-Hartnell line has shown me the top end forward talent we're missing.....

Old
01-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I have finally learned after many years that you just worry about what we are doing, at least until the last week or so. We are on pace for about 97 points right now, which should get us in though probably no higher than a 6 seed at best.

If we can win these next two, we will have 50 points at the exact halfway mark, on pace for 100, which is guaranteed to be in and would give us a decent shot at the 4 or 5 seed.

if we drop below a 94 point pace for very long, i'll be really worried....
I'll be honest, one of the reasons I'm able to stay relatively even-keeled throughout the year is exactly this... I don't look at the standings that often, probably once every ten games or so to see where we are and who we're competing with.

Each game is there for the taking. As long as we continue to improve on the ice, I believe we'll be fine in the long run. Poile said at the start of the year that we would be a better team as the season wore on and I believe that to be the case.

The roster is pretty clear at this point. Colin Wilson and Jordin Tootoo in particular have stepped their games up in a BIG way, likewise Blake Geoffrion and Jon Blum have done the opposite. Nick Spaling and Mike Fisher are finally healthy after offseason surgery and are living up to expectations (Fisher isn't necessarily lighting the lamp, but he is playing against opponent's top lines nightly and freeing up Legwand). Gabriel Bourque thus far has taken advantage of his opportunity as has Roman Josi and Ryan Ellis, while I still don't believe he's a long-term solution this season, is on the verge of bumping Blum back to Milwaukee when Weber returns from injury.

The PP has clicked with Weber in the lineup and have started to get more dangerous without him. The PK has been hit or miss and needs to find some consistency. Rinne is on an upswing again and looking more comfortable the past week with his new pads and old mask.

Poile is going to be active to improve this team. I think we can all agree that the need is there for a veteran top-4 Dman to bump Hillen out of the lineup and also the need for a top-6 goal scoring forward to continue to improve the offense. The prices might be high right now with so many teams still in contention, but as the month progresses things will get more clear and some teams ***cough*** Columbus, NY Isles, Calgary, etc ***cough*** are going to decide to shed some vets and reload which will open up the market.

I'll admit, I'd love to be higher in the standings right now, but for as close as the conference is and having to have to let a lot of skilled rookies learn on the job this season...I'll take us being in the top 8 at the New Year and look for us to solidify our spot inside the playoff race and start to pull away from the bottom half as we move forward...

Old
01-02-2012, 04:06 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

found this interesting in the main forums, talking about guys reasons for the numbers they wear:

Jacob Markstrom wears 25. An odd number for an odd reason. His idol or role model in Sweden was none other than Anders Lindback, who wore this number (why? Don't know), but he doesn't wear it in Nashville, so I thought that was weird.

Old
01-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
found this interesting in the main forums, talking about guys reasons for the numbers they wear:

Jacob Markstrom wears 25. An odd number for an odd reason. His idol or role model in Sweden was none other than Anders Lindback, who wore this number (why? Don't know), but he doesn't wear it in Nashville, so I thought that was weird.
Can we trade Markstrom's idol for Markstrom?

Old
01-02-2012, 04:37 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post

Lindback was Markstrom's backup. Wonder if something is being lost in translation

Old
01-03-2012, 08:23 AM
tonyin318

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
That Jagr-Giroux-Hartnell line has shown me the top end forward talent we're missing.....
I made that exact comment right after that beauty backhander that Giroux scored yesterday.

Seems like the closest we have to a "goal scorer" or "finisher" is Erat and Smith. It's hard for me to drill down into the nuts and bolts of the game, especially harder having to watch on tv vs seeing all the home games live. Can anyone comment on Erat and Smith as "goal scorers" or "finishers"?

Old
01-03-2012, 10:36 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyin318 View Post
Seems like the closest we have to a "goal scorer" or "finisher" is Erat and Smith. It's hard for me to drill down into the nuts and bolts of the game, especially harder having to watch on tv vs seeing all the home games live. Can anyone comment on Erat and Smith as "goal scorers" or "finishers"?
smith has been a finisher all season until the past 20-ish games. he has been snake bit since missing empty net..

erat has the skills to be a "finisher" but way too often he looks for the perfect pass and passes on great shooting
opportunities..

wilson is someone you didn't mention and imo has been our best goal scorer while also being a playmaker. if he had a linemates like the kariya-legwand-erat line, I really believe he could net 30+ goals. IMHO

Old
01-03-2012, 11:27 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I've been out of town due to a family emergency with no internet or cell phone service since Friday (we were north of Knoxville in the extreme western portion of VA).

I'm getting caught up on the last weeks worth of news. Looks like we're playing great right now. It looks like Josi (and the rest of the D) has really stepped up in Weber's absence and the rest of the team is playing well. Hopefully Wilson and Weber return soon, and we can march our way to the deadline where we make a couple moves.

Go Preds!!

Old
01-03-2012, 11:36 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
smith has been a finisher all season until the past 20-ish games. he has been snake bit since missing empty net..

erat has the skills to be a "finisher" but way too often he looks for the perfect pass and passes on great shooting
opportunities..

wilson is someone you didn't mention and imo has been our best goal scorer while also being a playmaker. if he had a linemates like the kariya-legwand-erat line, I really believe he could net 30+ goals. IMHO
SK also has the skills to be a finisher but shoots even less often than Erat.

Old
01-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Erat has the tools to be a good goalscorer, but he is a better playmaker and we need him for those abilities more.

Smith is our only true goalscorer IMO. Everyone else is a bit of a hybrid or grinder-ish.

Old
01-03-2012, 12:04 PM
tonyin318

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post

Has Smith still been shooting as much since the missed EN ?(I was at that game by the way)

I haven't really noticed that in Wilson, but I'll start looking at him more as a finisher to see if my untrained eye can oick it up. When he returns to the lineup that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
It looks like Josi (and the rest of the D) has really stepped up in Weber's absence and the rest of the team is playing well.
Go Preds!!
I really like the way Josi plays - he has quickly become one of my favorites and I sure hope he continues to develop!

Old
01-03-2012, 12:06 PM
tonyin318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Erat has the tools to be a good goalscorer, but he is a better playmaker and we need him for those abilities more.

Smith is our only true goalscorer IMO. Everyone else is a bit of a hybrid or grinder-ish.
Why did he go 5th in the shootout a couple of games ago? That shot was a beauty!

Closed Thread