HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Predators Talk Part II

View Poll Results: Random question: Which of these jerseys do you like?
Preds normal home jersey 25 52.08%
Preds normal away jersey 23 47.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2012, 09:18 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Eh, he's decent second pairing guy, he makes more mistakes then good plays, which is why he's a 2nd pairing guy I guess, and with Suter, Weber, Ellis, and Josi he won't really put up great numbers. He's just expected to get the job done.
That's not even remotely true. He rarely makes a mistake, but since he's the fans' whipping boy, when he does, it's amplified. I've seen recent posts where people talk about trading Klein and just going with Josi and Ellis(along with Hillen and Cube) full time. Just watch how quickly we plummet out of a playoff spot, if that was to happen.

Old
01-13-2012, 09:42 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 300
Folks forget Klein was drafted several slots ahead of Weber. He isn't quite big enough to be a dominant physical defenseman but with experience he is solid and as also said if he's paired with someone who can take care of the puck then he is usually in good shape. We got a bargain on his current contract and I look for him to move on to a bigger payday elsewhere when this current deal is finished

Old
01-13-2012, 10:06 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

klein was 37 i think and weber 49

Old
01-13-2012, 12:08 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Folks forget Klein was drafted several slots ahead of Weber.
It's easy to see why, too - the guy has most, if not all of the physical tools that you want out of a defenseman. He just doesn't have the offensive IQ to make maximum use of those tools, which is something that a coach can compensate for with his defense partner (e.g. Josi). But he's a great skater, good stick handler, and a smart defender, and I recall him throwing some solid hits when he first came up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
Serious question and i'm not trying to troll or be stupid.

But who is Kevin Klein? Like I know he exists as a player, but don't you guys feel that he's never generally talked about or mentioned in outside hockey circles lol?
Klein not being talked about is a fundamental part of his game. He's the kind of defenseman who is playing his best hockey when you don't notice him.

He's being used in much the same capacity as Dan Hamhuis was in his last years here: a minute-muncher with sound positioning and high defensive acumen who can close down high-scoring forwards. As I alluded to above, he also has some decent offensive tools. Where his game breaks down, though, is in transition. His passes are poor and he doesn't make good reads coming out of the zone, which result in the giveaways that draw him a great deal of ire from a small number of Preds fans (he's one of two Preds averaging more than two turnovers per 60 minutes - the other is Bouillon).

I'm content with Klein as our #3. Could we do better? Maybe, but certainly not at $1.35M. He's a UFA after next year, and I'd like to see a three-year deal in the ballpark of $2.5M per, if he'll sign for that.

Old
01-13-2012, 12:27 PM
JR303

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
It's easy to see why, too - the guy has most, if not all of the physical tools that you want out of a defenseman. He just doesn't have the offensive IQ to make maximum use of those tools, which is something that a coach can compensate for with his defense partner (e.g. Josi). But he's a great skater, good stick handler, and a smart defender, and I recall him throwing some solid hits when he first came up.

Klein not being talked about is a fundamental part of his game. He's the kind of defenseman who is playing his best hockey when you don't notice him.

He's being used in much the same capacity as Dan Hamhuis was in his last years here: a minute-muncher with sound positioning and high defensive acumen who can close down high-scoring forwards. As I alluded to above, he also has some decent offensive tools. Where his game breaks down, though, is in transition. His passes are poor and he doesn't make good reads coming out of the zone, which result in the giveaways that draw him a great deal of ire from a small number of Preds fans (he's one of two Preds averaging more than two turnovers per 60 minutes - the other is Bouillon).

I'm content with Klein as our #3. Could we do better? Maybe, but certainly not at $1.35M. He's a UFA after next year, and I'd like to see a three-year deal in the ballpark of $2.5M per, if he'll sign for that.
This is the most dead-on post on Klein in the history of the interwebs. He gets a bad wrap, a portion of it deserved, but he's invaluable at his contract.

Old
01-14-2012, 01:01 PM
WartracePred

Five years ago, my wife had seen one, maybe two hockey games. Today, she has the Blackhawks-Wings game on, yelling at the TV, and is mad that we don't have Preds tickets tonight. Nashville is officially a hockey town!

Old
01-15-2012, 02:01 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

It's 2012, the Preds have a #10 offense in GF right now.

and the defense is #11

Old
01-15-2012, 02:39 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
It's 2012, the Preds have a #10 offense in GF right now.

and the defense is #11
offense is #13 at 2.70 goals per game and defense is #12 at 2.68

impressive none the least

Old
01-15-2012, 02:42 PM
NoNecksCurse

who would have ever thought at more than half way through the season that our penalty kill would be hovering around 20th in the league yet our power play is ranked 2nd and a whole 2% above detroit's "legendary" PP... man what is going on

Old
01-15-2012, 04:28 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
who would have ever thought at more than half way through the season that our penalty kill would be hovering around 20th in the league yet our power play is ranked 2nd and a whole 2% above detroit's "legendary" PP... man what is going on
Don't ask questions. Just go with it

Old
01-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Top 6 Spaling

This team has an incredible way of making me feel like we suck while winning 7 out of 8....i kinda like it. Just win, baby. I dont care if we look like the Blue Jackets as long as we're successful

Old
01-16-2012, 10:38 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

along those lines, GP9, in his blog today paul Mccann shared this eye popping stat:

Quote:
Speaking of a lot of shots… Pekka Rinne is 9-0-1 when the Predators give up 35 shots or more.
so, everyone who freaks out about us being outshot, take comfort...

Old
01-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
along those lines, GP9, in his blog today paul Mccann shared this eye popping stat:

so, everyone who freaks out about us being outshot, take comfort...
that is a truly remarkable stat.

I play kinda the same myself, as a goalie. When a team is getting outplayed, the goalie gets in a rhythm. I just gets easier and easier to make saves.

still, i'd rather outshoot them

Old
01-16-2012, 01:51 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
that is a truly remarkable stat.

I play kinda the same myself, as a goalie. When a team is getting outplayed, the goalie gets in a rhythm. I just gets easier and easier to make saves.

still, i'd rather outshoot them
I think it is important to keep in mind that getting outshot is not an indicator of being outplayed. Lots of times players get frustrated and just hammer shots as soon as they cross the blue line.

Old
01-20-2012, 08:13 AM
glenngineer

Is it weird that I'm playing words with friends and I have the letters to spell Trotz?

Old
01-20-2012, 09:54 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Is it weird that I'm playing words with friends and I have the letters to spell Trotz?
not at all... the other day I couldn't figure out why the word "Spaling" wasn't a real word. Then I realized it is a name....

Old
01-20-2012, 11:37 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Saw this posted on their FB page:

Quote:
Important ticketing note: Due to overwhelming demand and growing ticket lines, the Preds $10 Day of Game tickets will now be determined by raffle for all Saturday games starting with tomorrow's game vs. the Blackhawks.
Awesome to see!

Old
01-22-2012, 06:50 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I think it is time to see where we rank in terms of balanced scoring.

# of fellas with 10 or more goals
ANA-3
BOS-7
BUF-3
CAR-6
CAL-5
CHI-6
CBS-2
COL-5
DAL-5
DET-8
EDM-5
FLA-4
LA-3
MIN-5
MON-5
NJ-7
NSH-7
NYI-4
NYR-4
OTT-6
PHI-9
PHO-4
PIT-5
SJ-3
STL-6
TB-5
TOR-4
VAN-7
WPG-3
WSH-6

so there are two tams with more balanced scoring than us. pretty good if you ask me
5th in the west in GF, 7th GA
also of note, we have taken the 6th fewest minors in the league
we are also 3rd cleanest-only 2 non fighting majors. (one was mcgratton hit on boll, the other was tootoo's jump over miller) Pho has 1, and to no one's shock, det has 0. BOS, PHI and VAN are your 3 dirtiest

Old
01-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
(long post of doom)
I've always thought our depth was great. I think our 2nd and 3rd lines are almost as good as any in the league, with the exception of a team like Philly or Chicago. It's our first line that is outmatched. But at the same time, our top D pairing is the best in the league. It evens out.

Old
01-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Everlong
-

So I woke up, grabbed a cup of coffee, opened the newspaper, and turned on the local sports radio broadcast. What are they talking about? The Predators! It's pretty rare that this ever happens so I cranked it up and listened in. They were using the current standings and lining up a potential Blues/Preds playoff matchup. Better than nothing I guess. I'll summarize their 5min discussion. Unfortunately their knowledge of the team is pretty limited.

- Blah blah blah, Rinne.
- Blah blah blah, Weber Suter
- Blah blah blah, what are they going to do with Suter
- Blah blah blah, nashville is nashville

Quite extensive breakdown as you can see.

They did give credit however. Said the preds could take on anyone in the west with the exception of Detroit.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Soundgarden

Weber picked by Alfie, and Suter picked by Chara at the ASG draft.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:14 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Weber picked by Alfie, and Suter picked by Chara at the ASG draft.
Yeah it wouldn't do to have chara and weber on the same team or else hardest shot woulda been a gimme

Old
01-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Yeah it wouldn't do to have chara and weber on the same team or else hardest shot woulda been a gimme
I was hoping they would be. Can you imagine Weber-Chara on the same PP unit

Old
01-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
So I woke up, grabbed a cup of coffee, opened the newspaper, and turned on the local sports radio broadcast. What are they talking about? The Predators! It's pretty rare that this ever happens so I cranked it up and listened in. They were using the current standings and lining up a potential Blues/Preds playoff matchup. Better than nothing I guess. I'll summarize their 5min discussion. Unfortunately their knowledge of the team is pretty limited.

- Blah blah blah, Rinne.
- Blah blah blah, Weber Suter
- Blah blah blah, what are they going to do with Suter
- Blah blah blah, nashville is nashville

Quite extensive breakdown as you can see.

They did give credit however. Said the preds could take on anyone in the west with the exception of Detroit.
I lol'd

so true

Old
01-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
I was hoping they would be. Can you imagine Weber-Chara on the same PP unit
Chara was probably afraid Weber would take him out if they were on the same team.

Closed Thread