HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Locker room cancers

Old
09-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Dr Grant

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dr Grant
Ray Emery

Dr Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 11:49 AM
jiggsawpuzzle35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar View Post
Chris Pronger
What do you have to back that up? When he was here in Anaheim, he got along with every teammate. Are you basing it on his play on the ice?

jiggsawpuzzle35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 11:52 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
I have no clue who is on the Bruins, they have a pretty great locker room with guys like Looch, Thornton, Ference, etc. I hope Pouliot isn't he just seems like that kind of guy. Probably because he was a Hab.

Any Habs/Wild fans know anything about him in the locker room?
Never heard anything about his locker room presence, which is probably a good sign, really. No news is good news.

If you're wondering why he's moved around so much, it's because his development stalled after being rushed to the NHL by Riseborough, then-GM of the Wild.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Never heard anything about his locker room presence, which is probably a good sign, really. No news is good news.
I'm happy then

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:01 PM
afrobomber11

this thread screams semin the way two former teammates have spoken out this summer

afrobomber11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Pouliot came out as quite sore about his stint with the Habs, which you would expect. He complained about the way he was used, the coach, etc (I don't have any sources, but I remember reading some comments after he was let go this summer). We haven't heard much about him though, coming from teammates at least.

From the Habs, it's my impression that Komisarek was regarded as a cancer. There were some stories about him acting as hollier-than-thou after he was asked to be an assistant-coach for a few games. O'Byrne also made some comments that seemed quite bizarre. Something along the line of "I wouldn't want to wear the same number as *mister* Komisarek". Where this gets conflicting is that the Canadiens did try to re-sign him from what I understand. So who knows.

I would say that Sergei Kostitsyn had become a cancer at the end of his stint with the Canadiens. I'm a fan of the guy, and I don't know if he was a cancer in the sense of being unlikable, but he was a big distraction that's for sure. He pulled a lot of bad stunts.

I also have the feeling that Grabovski was a cancer. The way he was shipped out of here, after the crap that had happened the previous season, I'm thinking he didn't have a lot of friends left with the Canadiens (to be fair, he wasn't here long enough to make many friends).

Finally, for as much as he was loved here (by me as well), I'm sure that most players let out a long sigh of relief when Kovalev wasn't brought back two years ago. I'm really not sure how great or not he was in the locker room, but every year he was with the Canadiens, there was some sort of weird story about him that would surface and distract everyone. I'm sure he wasn't easy to deal with and took a lot of place in the locker room. He seems like a high maintenance player.

Of course, that's all speculation, based on bits of information, hear-say and interviews gathered throughout the years.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:11 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
As for locker room cancers, you don't hear much stuff come out from locker rooms. There have been some dramatic events involving individual players or teammates, Vancouver for example with Messier and Bure not seeing eye to eye and Bure's demand to get traded.
Bure's demand for a trade had nothing to do with Messier. He first requested a trade years before the Messier/Canuck disaster.

Quote:
After the trade was completed, Bure explained in a joint-interview with the Toronto Sun and The Province that he felt he was alienated by Canucks management ever since arriving in North America from Moscow. He cited having stayed in Los Angeles for two weeks before any Canucks representative came down to see him, in addition to several bitter contract negotiations. Bure also claimed that the constant allegations of him threatening not to play during the 1994 playoff run were planted by someone within Canucks management.
It'd be nice if people did at least basic fact-checking..

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
I'm happy then
Either way, I don't think he'll play a big role on the Bruins. Not enough to warrant pulling any weight in the locker room. He seems like a quiet guy too.

I don't know much about any of this, but it's my impression that worst comes to worst, he'll just be unhappy, maybe ***** in the media and get waived.

He's a reclamation project. He'll either work out early on or he'll be an afterthought. The guy can play hockey for sure, when he puts his mind to it. I saw a lot of Bruins fans being unhappy with this signing. I think it's a smart gamble by Chiarelli. Nothing to lose here.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:17 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
I heard talk of Matt Cooke being traded out of Vancouver because he was a lockerroom cancer. Don't know about elsewhere though.
was it cancer or was it players were tired of his cheapshots...... and then turtling

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:18 PM
CoRD
Shots Fired

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Bure's demand for a trade had nothing to do with Messier. He first requested a trade years before the Messier/Canuck disaster.

Yea you gotta love when ppl go sprackin off at the mouth with absolutely no facts behind them.

HF boards at it's finest.

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:20 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

This thread screams Semin..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Dion Phaneuf has been confirmed a locker room cancer by people who were in the same locker room as him.
Dion Phaneuf has also been confirmed as a great locker room presence by people who have been in the same locker room as him.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:23 PM
blaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforhockey View Post
was it cancer or was it players were tired of his cheapshots...... and then turtling
Yeah I agree, I heard it was something to do with Matt Cooke's teammates not wanting to fight his fights for him anymore.

blaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:33 PM
timmeh

What has Carter and Richards ever done? They're being mentioned because Pronger was jealous he was not the captain

timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:46 PM
NewEraGM

Phaneuf

NewEraGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post

Some reading comprehension goes a long way as well. I cited two separate examples of issues involving teammates (Bure vs. Messier) and individual issues (Bure vs. management). I didn't say Bure asked to be traded because he didn't like Messier. It would be nice if people on message boards learned to read.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Quattro

Avery was definitely a cancer when he was with the Kings.

Pronger is such an asshat it's hard to believe he wouldn't be a cancer. The fact that a player of his caliber is on his 5th team kind of confirms it.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
We all know that Claude Lemieux was a disliked in the locker room. Do you guys know about other pestes of his caibre?
I never heard that about Lemieux -- not saying it's not true, just never heard it

I believe Lemieux is good friends with Ray Bourque, and Bourque was one of the classiest players around.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Lexus
OWN THE MOMENT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
I never heard that about Lemieux -- not saying it's not true, just never heard it

I believe Lemieux is good friends with Ray Bourque, and Bourque was one of the classiest players around.
I never heard it either. I remember Forsberg once said that Lemieux was one of the best teammates you could have in a lockeroom.

I suppose he was hated in all of the other lockerooms though

Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Shellz

Pronger

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Anderson (last year with Avs was a disaster)
Not the first time I've heard his name mentioned.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
Mike Richards and Carter
It's likely that Subban caused him to be a locker room cancer, or to exacerbate this aspect of him.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:02 PM
getyourselfsomerest

Quote:
Dion Phaneuf has been confirmed a locker room cancer by people who were in the same locker room as him.
Mikhail Grabovski: "I really like out captain Dion Phaneuf(notes). He is the real captain I can really hear in the locker room. I really like him as a captain. That's why I will only agree to be his assistant in Toronto. I listen to him and think 'Could I be the same captain in the locker room?' I don't think I could.' There are different types of captains, but you can always hear him in the locker room."

I don't give a rat's behind what Flames players thought of him. Phaneuf has received nothing but praise as captain by his teammates.

getyourselfsomerest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:04 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

No idea. I dont know if anyone on this board can really answer this question without having been in any these locker rooms.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:08 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Phaneuf
Kessel
Versteeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Phaneuf.

Kessel was too a few years ago.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEraGM View Post
Phaneuf
"...He's a great teammate... the biggest thing is, he wasn't accepted by the Calgary fans, even though he was a once a Norris Trophy candidate." -- Olli Jokinen, Phaneuf's former teammate in Calgary.

"I really like out captain Dion Phaneuf(notes). He is the real captain I can really hear in the locker room. I really like him as a captain. That's why I will only agree to be his assistant in Toronto. I listen to him and think 'Could I be the same captain in the locker room?' I don't think I could.' There are different types of captains, but you can always hear him in the locker room." -- Mikhail Grabovski, Phaneuf's current teammate in Toronto.

But keep spinning those rumour mills, no matter how incorrect they may be.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
No idea. I dont know if anyone on this board can really answer this question without having been in any these locker rooms.
Of course.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote