HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Kesler for Weber

Old
09-03-2011, 04:45 PM
maplepred

vCash: 500
Ok. So in principal weber is worth more, but seeing vancouvers situation with no replacement for kesler then it makes no sense for them to acquire Shea if kesler is piece going back to Nashville. I just never really thought of vancouvers defense as stellar, but i understand losing kesler creates a huge hole for Canucks,
So therefore if it's a weber trade, Vancouver and Nashville are not good partners

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 04:51 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Ok. So in principal weber is worth more, but seeing vancouvers situation with no replacement for kesler then it makes no sense for them to acquire Shea if kesler is piece going back to Nashville. I just never really thought of vancouvers defense as stellar, but i understand losing kesler creates a huge hole for Canucks,
So therefore if it's a weber trade, Vancouver and Nashville are not good partners

I think this sums it up.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 05:15 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Canucks are a lot more beat up than they have been before. Where is Henrik, for example?

Kesler might be attractive trade bait if healthy. He is irreplaceable though, in team terms.
I don't think he is enough for Weber. Adding Edler would do it, but effectively negate the advantage that Weber brings.

Best case scenario for Vancouver is that they lure Weber here when he is FA. Even then, the numbers do not fit the Canucks model.

Unless the bloom has really gone off Luongo, Vancouver has made thier investment, IMO. Let another year play out and then you can talk about Weber, the Captaincy and goaltending.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Canucks are a lot more beat up than they have been before. Where is Henrik, for example?

Kesler might be attractive trade bait if healthy. He is irreplaceable though, in team terms.
I don't think he is enough for Weber. Adding Edler would do it, but effectively negate the advantage that Weber brings.

Best case scenario for Vancouver is that they lure Weber here when he is FA. Even then, the numbers do not fit the Canucks model.

Unless the bloom has really gone off Luongo, Vancouver has made thier investment, IMO. Let another year play out and then you can talk about Weber, the Captaincy and goaltending.
ya think?

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 05:34 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
I suppose this leaves me posing this question,
Seeing as both kesler and weber are two of the best at their positions, which is rarer to find in the NHL nowadays?
A top 5 defenseman or a top 10 centre?

As far as contracts go, obviously Shea would re sign long term to stay in Vancouver, he's from bc
I agree with the poster above - you're short-sighted here. You're comparing the names and not the impact they would have on the teams.

Here's a similar question - who would you rather have - Hodgson or Edler? If you could add either player for free? Edler is a top-30 dman in the league. Hodgson is a prospect who may not even be NHL ready! Given what else Nashville already has on their team, is it more valuable for them to add another top quality established dman, or a top quality offensive center prospect?

The Canucks need to look at this the same way. They have a strong deep defense. Weber would easily be the best on the blueline, but you're adding him to a blueline which lead the team to the best GAA in their entire league, the #3 PK in the league and one of the league's highest scoring bluelines as well. Weber undoubtedly makes the group better. But is that addition to an already solid group worth the loss the team suffers by moving Kesler?

Kesler is also a key part of that #1 GAA team AND the league's #1 GFA team. He's a key part of that #1 PP unit. He also carries a top-6 line by himself, did it all season with a rotating cast of wingers - which he'll have again. Along with his Selke and 40 goal season, he's a top-10 faceoff guy in the league, the team's most consistent physical top-6 forward (on a team that lacks overall physical top-6 presence), and one of the best PK forwards in the game.

But all of that just makes up a small part of his overall value.

What Preds fans like you seem to ignore - or at least diminish - is the real impact of a player who brings all of that at a bargain price while locked up through his prime years. This has the biggest impact in any player's actual value - including Weber's - and something that is being dismissed too easily. Kesler will not be dealt because the impact he brings *greatly* outweighs the percentage of the overall team cap he takes. If you try and replace all the things Kesler brings via FA, you're looking at a much higher cap hit than the $5mill he takes. And you don't need to worry about replacing him for another 5yrs. Surely Preds fans, knowing how important the team's budget is to the makeup of their team, while also going through the stresses of Weber's contract situation, with UFA status in 2 yrs, can understand the value of a $5mill/yr for 5 more years, contract for a key player? Is there a Preds fan that wouldn't kill to have Weber on that contract? Even at $1mill/yr more, he'd still be a bargain through those key prime years.

And especially in today's era, where guys like Fleishmann can get $4.5 mill, a player like Kesler locked up that long at that salary simply can't be dealt. Not unless you have someone within who can replace that while the player you're getting makes your team better *despite Kesler's loss*.

As others have said, losing Kesler for Weber does not make the Canucks a better team. And given his salary/contract situation, it messes a great cap structure the team (thanks to Gillman) has set up.

Simply put, I agree with you that evaluating the 2 in a vacuum (ignoring contracts, team needs, etc) - basically what you've done, Weber has a higher impact overall than Kesler. A top-5 dman is worth more than a top-10 center IMO. But considering contracts, cap hits, team needs, etc, Kesler has a much impact to the Canucks current structure than Weber would. This is why most Canuck fans would not do this deal.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 05:36 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post

Wait you think the cost of Weber would be Kesler AND Edler?... your ****ing nuts if that's what you mean!!!

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
I agree with the poster above - you're short-sighted here. You're comparing the names and not the impact they would have on the teams.

Here's a similar question - who would you rather have - Hodgson or Edler? If you could add either player for free? Edler is a top-30 dman in the league. Hodgson is a prospect who may not even be NHL ready! Given what else Nashville already has on their team, is it more valuable for them to add another top quality established dman, or a top quality offensive center prospect?

The Canucks need to look at this the same way. They have a strong deep defense. Weber would easily be the best on the blueline, but you're adding him to a blueline which lead the team to the best GAA in their entire league, the #3 PK in the league and one of the league's highest scoring bluelines as well. Weber undoubtedly makes the group better. But is that addition to an already solid group worth the loss the team suffers by moving Kesler?

Kesler is also a key part of that #1 GAA team AND the league's #1 GFA team. He's a key part of that #1 PP unit. He also carries a top-6 line by himself, did it all season with a rotating cast of wingers - which he'll have again. Along with his Selke and 40 goal season, he's a top-10 faceoff guy in the league, the team's most consistent physical top-6 forward (on a team that lacks overall physical top-6 presence), and one of the best PK forwards in the game.

But all of that just makes up a small part of his overall value.

What Preds fans like you seem to ignore - or at least diminish - is the real impact of a player who brings all of that at a bargain price while locked up through his prime years. This has the biggest impact in any player's actual value - including Weber's - and something that is being dismissed too easily. Kesler will not be dealt because the impact he brings *greatly* outweighs the percentage of the overall team cap he takes. If you try and replace all the things Kesler brings via FA, you're looking at a much higher cap hit than the $5mill he takes. And you don't need to worry about replacing him for another 5yrs. Surely Preds fans, knowing how important the team's budget is to the makeup of their team, while also going through the stresses of Weber's contract situation, with UFA status in 2 yrs, can understand the value of a $5mill/yr for 5 more years, contract for a key player? Is there a Preds fan that wouldn't kill to have Weber on that contract? Even at $1mill/yr more, he'd still be a bargain through those key prime years.

And especially in today's era, where guys like Fleishmann can get $4.5 mill, a player like Kesler locked up that long at that salary simply can't be dealt. Not unless you have someone within who can replace that while the player you're getting makes your team better *despite Kesler's loss*.

As others have said, losing Kesler for Weber does not make the Canucks a better team. And given his salary/contract situation, it messes a great cap structure the team (thanks to Gillman) has set up.

Simply put, I agree with you that evaluating the 2 in a vacuum (ignoring contracts, team needs, etc) - basically what you've done, Weber has a higher impact overall than Kesler. A top-5 dman is worth more than a top-10 center IMO. But considering contracts, cap hits, team needs, etc, Kesler has a much impact to the Canucks current structure than Weber would. This is why most Canuck fans would not do this deal.
This. Even Weber locked up at his current 7.5 for 5 years I could still see trying to make an argument for, but with all the things Kesler does that aren't recognized...well every fan base has that guy that they wouldn't trade for anyone short of Ovechkin or Crosby. Think Suter. Think Kulemin for Toronto. Think Koivu for Minnesota. I think most Nashville fans understand that, and are still unwilling to trade Weber, let alone for someone that has less percieved value. I think we can close the thread, we are just about finished. Neither side wants to do this, value is there (-ish), but it leaves GAPING holes on each team that can't be replaced internally or through free agency at this time.

As for ScubaaaBob, I agree that would be highway robbery.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 06:03 PM
markisonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
40 goal scoring selke winner is a top 20 center in the league? how generous of you
Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf, Staal, Toews, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, M. Richards, Kopitar, B. Richards, Thornton, Stamkos, Sedin, Backstrom, Kesler. Not in order, and perhaps a top 15 center might be a better statement, but there is nothing wrong with that. In fact, I'd probably take all the guys I listed besides Backstrom before Kesler.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 06:09 PM
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf, Staal, Toews, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, M. Richards, Kopitar, B. Richards, Thornton, Stamkos, Sedin, Backstrom, Kesler. Not in order, and perhaps a top 15 center might be a better statement, but there is nothing wrong with that. In fact, I'd probably take all the guys I listed besides Backstrom before Kesler.
Mike Richards is not a top 15 centre.

K2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
then why did you list him ahead of Kesler?

I agree with Crosby, Malkin, Datsyuk, B. Richards, Thornton, Stamkos, Sedin, Getzlaf, Staal

the rest are debatable.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 06:24 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Don't see how Mike Richards is better or Toews and Kopitar than Kesler, I think they're all pretty equal.

Old
09-03-2011, 06:31 PM
JerkChicken

Nah...

Kesler >>>> Weber

JerkChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 06:51 PM
markisonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
then why did you list him ahead of Kesler?

I agree with Crosby, Malkin, Datsyuk, B. Richards, Thornton, Stamkos, Sedin, Getzlaf, Staal

the rest are debatable.
I also said that the list was in no particular order. I wrote Crosby and Malkin, then went through the teams alphabetically and found players either better or equal to Kesler. Kesler had a great year last year no doubt about it, but the Canucks were also the best team in the league and Kesler is on the second line. I would be very interested to see how Kesler plays as a first line center, without guys like the Sedins to take pressure off of his line. The guys I listed, for the most part, are all top line centers. Crosby and Malkin as your top two centers is just ridiculous, and Datsyuk has Zetterberg, but I believe they would be legitimate first line centers without each other anyway.

I think Kesler is great, but I don't know that he scores 40 goals without the Sedins in front of him. Part of Kesler's success came in the form of powerplay goals anyway, with 37% of his goals coming with a man advantage.

Many of the players I listed are debatable, but it is hard comparing the achievements of first line centers compared to second line centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaaaBob View Post
Don't see how Mike Richards is better or Toews and Kopitar than Kesler, I think they're all pretty equal.
I think Richards and Kesler are essentially the same player. I take Kopitar over Kesler every time. You can call me a homer, but that's my personal opinion. Toews is either severely overrated or severely underrated, and I'm not sure which, but he captained his team to a Stanley Cup, and that has to count for something. Not to mention, he is both clutch and dependable. You could certainly make the case that Kesler is better, but it definitely isn't a sure thing.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 07:09 PM
tututooter21

Vancouver loses this because of contracts

tututooter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 07:13 PM
jammyrft

Quote:
Eric staal
Brad Richards
Claude giroux
Evgeni malkin
Sidney Crosby
Steven stamkos
Nik backstrom
Ryan getzlaf
Jon toews
Pat sharp
Pavel datsyuk
Anze

not sure what you're smoking but I'd put kesler over 3/4 of that list

crosby
stamkos
toews
datsyuk
kesler
malkin

a 2 way selke winning 40goal center doesn't come by often, how you have kopitar, giroux, backstrom etc ahead of him I don't know

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 07:15 PM
jammyrft

I would LOVE to have Shea in a van uniform, but if I really think about it i think our team is worse without kes..

I would however package any 1 number of our Dmen to get Weber

Edler + Hodgson + (x2) 1st's

is what I would offer if nashville is listening

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 07:32 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I know Kesler scored 40 goals once, hence the "40 goal scorer" tag, but he probably needs to do it more than once in order for that to really be heavily considered when trying to decide where he ranks among other centers. The guy is a fantastic hockey player with drive and determination that not a lot possess, but he had never even cracked 30 goals before last season. I think it's just as likely he drops off as it is he continues scoring 40 goals per season.

Anyway, if you consider the players and their contracts, but you do not consider team needs, then this is a fair deal. Vancouver and Nashville make terrible trading partners, though. I thought that had been established a while ago.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 07:33 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
I also said that the list was in no particular order. I wrote Crosby and Malkin, then went through the teams alphabetically and found players either better or equal to Kesler. Kesler had a great year last year no doubt about it, but the Canucks were also the best team in the league and Kesler is on the second line. I would be very interested to see how Kesler plays as a first line center, without guys like the Sedins to take pressure off of his line. The guys I listed, for the most part, are all top line centers. Crosby and Malkin as your top two centers is just ridiculous, and Datsyuk has Zetterberg, but I believe they would be legitimate first line centers without each other anyway.

I think Kesler is great, but I don't know that he scores 40 goals without the Sedins in front of him. Part of Kesler's success came in the form of powerplay goals anyway, with 37% of his goals coming with a man advantage.

Many of the players I listed are debatable, but it is hard comparing the achievements of first line centers compared to second line centers.

I think Richards and Kesler are essentially the same player. I take Kopitar over Kesler every time. You can call me a homer, but that's my personal opinion. Toews is either severely overrated or severely underrated, and I'm not sure which, but he captained his team to a Stanley Cup, and that has to count for something. Not to mention, he is both clutch and dependable. You could certainly make the case that Kesler is better, but it definitely isn't a sure thing.
Kesler linemates Raymond, Higgins and Sams, Kesler carried his line and his team vs Nashvile. Also Kesler helped the Twins as much as they helped him but don't top line players play with top line players?. Saying Kesler wouldn't be as good without the Twins ahead of him than one could make the case for many many other great players in the NHL. Kesler has shown he can carry his team and line and our PP didn't become so deadly until Kesler joined it and before that Kesler was running our 2nd PP and was doing a great job of it without the twins.
Your saying Toews over Kesler simply because he lead his team to the cup than I guess one could say Kesler over Kopitar cause Kesler carried his team in a playoff series and got his team to game 7 of the SCF?.
Kopitar, Richards, Kesler, Toew ect are all evenly matched and on the same playing field, imo.

Old
09-03-2011, 07:39 PM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
not sure what you're smoking but I'd put kesler over 3/4 of that list

crosby
stamkos
toews
datsyuk
kesler
malkin

a 2 way selke winning 40goal center doesn't come by often, how you have kopitar, giroux, backstrom etc ahead of him I don't know

I am a canucks fan too, but how is kesler clearly better than backstrom?

He had a bad year, but we are talking about a 23 year old center who has already broken the 100 point barrier, and is pretty much ppg in the playoffs (32 pts in 37 gms)

Add the fact that Backstrom is actually very good defensively and plays in all situations.

I like kesler as much as any canucks fan, he's our leader and was our MVP in the playoffs, but kesler is not a top 5 center.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 08:00 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I know Kesler scored 40 goals once, hence the "40 goal scorer" tag, but he probably needs to do it more than once in order for that to really be heavily considered when trying to decide where he ranks among other centers. The guy is a fantastic hockey player with drive and determination that not a lot possess, but he had never even cracked 30 goals before last season. I think it's just as likely he drops off as it is he continues scoring 40 goals per season.

Anyway, if you consider the players and their contracts, but you do not consider team needs, then this is a fair deal. Vancouver and Nashville make terrible trading partners, though. I thought that had been established a while ago.
Well Kesler has no line mates too and has to carries that line so playing PP play with the Twins kinda makes up for other players who play with top talent all the time like Stamkos with St. Louis... Getz, Perry and Ryan... Datz, Zetterberg... Staal and Skinner... Toews, Kane, Hossa and Sharp and Mike Richard who has always had plenty of help around him with guys like JVR, Gagner, Giroux, Briere and Carter and Kesler has Raymond, Higgins and Sams around pretty big difference beside the PP when he plays with the Twins the only tome he plays with top end talent.
Also if Kesler just scoring 40+ goals once this past season then why is Toews looked at as one of the best in the game when he has only made it over 70pts once? or Perry who scored 50 goals last year and now people call him one of the best scorers in the game and has never gotten anywhere near 50 goals before. Now I'm not trying to belittle anyone of those players cause they're all really really good just want to know why a lot of those players get their past year carried over but Kesler doesn't?

Always with this being HFBoards I know I should clear this up cause I know how it is on here... I'm NOT say Kesler is as good as Stamkos and St. Louis or Getz, Perry and so on this was used to pointed out that talented players play with talented players and Kesler is a talented player who only plays with talented players on the PP. If Kesler had linemates like other have had I'm sure Kesler would be putting up bigger numbers.

Old
09-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Britton

Quote:

Yes Kesler played on the second line for Vancouver and you can't know for sure how he would play on the first line but I'd be willing to be bet you would actually see his points increase and let me explain why.

For four straight seasons not only has Kesler gotten better every year, he has also finished in the top five of adjusted corsi rating each time. This year he was second in adjusted corsi and first in raw corsi. Year after year he dominates his opposition no matter who it is when he is on the ice. Look at this year, he got easier minutes than last year but still nothing compared to what most top players get, and he put up 40 goals. You let him start in the offensive zone more often and give him more offensive opportunities and you'd see his numbers rise, not decrease even if he does face other top checkers. Just look at his PP numbers this year and last year. Two years in a row now he has been our most dangerous PP forward and he's played on two completely different units. When given the opportunity he's as dangerous as any of those guys on the list not named Crosby. I mean I see people say Datsyuk is a top 3 player all the time. While Datsyuk may have the dangles that make people go wow, Kesler does everything else Dats does and has actually out performed him over the last two years. So don't be so quick to write him off as a guy who gets protected on the second line.

Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 08:04 PM
MTechnik
Showtime

Let's downgrade our team, yeah Canucks pass.

MTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Of his 40 goals didn't Kesler score only like 3 ES goals against playoff teams?

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 08:13 PM
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
Of his 40 goals didn't Kesler score only like 3 ES goals against playoff teams?
Yet in the playoffs Kesler scored 19 points in 25 games, whats your excuse for that?

K2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Weber doesn't have a contract and that really hurts his value. Nahville won't be able to get proven quality for a year and a half of Weber.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote