HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It seemed like a good idea at the time

Old
09-04-2011, 12:56 PM
McTank

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
50 points isn't that great, but if he does it while playing a defensively sound center it wouldn't be that bad. Better than Connolly last year, anyway. Btw if I were you I'd look to get my username adjusted.
I didn't know you could hahah I'm working on it now

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 02:01 PM
CaptPantalones

For me its the Peca trade

At the time I considered it an absolute great trade. we were getting a talented playmaking C who many considered to be a potential 80-90 pt player and soon to be face of the franchise type. PLUS a premiere young power forward who could be a 30 goal guy

Now all I can think about our the concussions, wimpy play, and the fact Jarome Iginla isnt a Sabre

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 03:15 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Agree with all of the above and would add in three others, which aren't regrets as much as examples of big letdowns compared to the expectations upon their arrival:

2008 FA signing of Rivet, who was far less effective for his 3 years in Buffalo than what I hoped for IMO
1999 Trade for Juneau as a rental, who never provided the offensive support the offensively-challenged '99 team needed.

1995 Trade for Simpson, who would have been a great partner for LaFontaine-Mogilny, but hardly played any games with them or in general for Buffalo because of his back problems.
The team traded for Rivet, a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick I believe.

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 03:16 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
For me its the Peca trade

At the time I considered it an absolute great trade. we were getting a talented playmaking C who many considered to be a potential 80-90 pt player and soon to be face of the franchise type. PLUS a premiere young power forward who could be a 30 goal guy

Now all I can think about our the concussions, wimpy play, and the fact Jarome Iginla isnt a Sabre
This, we don't know for sure because at the time they were simply rumors but still wasn't the rumor Iginla+ for Peca ??

Old
09-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEIRGOODSCARYGOOD View Post
I didn't know you could hahah I'm working on it now
I think you can do it once a year or something (I've never tried) but you might be able to petition a mod or something.

Anyway, back on topic, I would add Noronen.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 05:07 PM
McTank

Yeah I have to wait 365 days from registration and I just registered like a month ago

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1000
Brad May for Geoff Sanderson.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
The team traded for Rivet, a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick I believe.
My bad - you're correct.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 06:18 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
Wow, never thought of this one. He did go on to have a decent career. Mean while the "sand-man" provided the team with what a few goals here or there highlighted by one decent playoff showing.. I did enjoy sanderson's jersey number though, he wore #90 right?

Old
09-04-2011, 07:05 PM
centreman84

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
Wow, never thought of this one. He did go on to have a decent career. Mean while the "sand-man" provided the team with what a few goals here or there highlighted by one decent playoff showing.. I did enjoy sanderson's jersey number though, he wore #90 right?
I believe he wore #80 and #8 while with the Sabres. #90 was Juneau

centreman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 07:26 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by centreman84 View Post
I believe he wore #80 and #8 while with the Sabres. #90 was Juneau
this is correct

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
In terms of legitimate good players we obtained, who then proceeded to suck as Sabres, but then became good again somewhere else...

I think Raffi Torres and Slava Kozlov top the list for the past decade.

Kozlov takes the cake though, for feuding with Ruff, pouting and whining in the media, and then trashing the city on his way out of town.

Personally, Kozlov is my pick as "worst Sabre ever."
Kozlov trashed the city on his way in to town. He was badmouthing the place in the summer, shortly after arriving, let alone how much of a braggadouche he was on his way out of town. And outside of about three weeks when he and Afinogenov were clicking, he was a major suck-factor while here.

In the realm of "good ideas at the time", letting Peca sit and not getting a deal done earlier, either a contract or in trade lead directly to Hasek wanting out with the finality of his demand. Peca or a good NHL-level return for Peca on that team and they likely eliminate the Penguins and head into a series against a Devils team they owned that year. Waiting to get "maximum return" cost them another round in the playoffs and alienated their star, resulting in a lopsided trade with the Wings. (Not to mention, whatever happened to the initial reports of the conditional first round pick if they won the Cup? Yeah. That changed AFTER the Wings won it. )

Torres as has been mentioned -- what a ****ing dud.

Bernier, there were trepidations after some of the fitness comments coming out of San Jose, but his arrival game left so many with such high expectations.

Rivet was about as expected too. Delmore had plenty of warning from Preds fans and it was warranted.

A couple oldies for me --

Waiving Ray Sheppard because he wasn't a defensive gem. All the guy does is score goals, why the hell would that be important?

Acquiring Real Cloutier. Another freaking dud, though there was scuttlebutt that Bowman had a pet hate for Cloutier going back to Scotty's Hab days and he made sure to run Cloutier out of the league when he had a chance. Too bad it cost him so damn much to carry out a vendetta -- JF Sauve seemed to kill the Sabres for years in the playoffs, let alone them losing LW scoring for seemingly ever with McKegney gone. The Nords so often seemed to have the Sabres number, the last thing they needed were more guys to tune them up and Bowman gave them to them. Perhaps part of why I don't like the "Spezza for a pile of Sabre stuff" proposals (that and not thinking Spezza is that much of a difference maker to warrant the sort of return, given his health, production, and playoff disappearences... any Tim Connolly type can rack up points on cellar dwellars and lottery teams and that is my preception of Spezza. When the going gets tough, Spezza sprains his spine.)

Dealing Alan Haworth to the Caps to make sure they didn't draft Phil Housley. They had no intention of taking Housley, instead, they took man-beast Scott Stevens, the guy they wanted all along. Yeah. Well done Scotty.

09-05-2011, 10:02 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

This is going a bit back (Jan 86')....But when we got Doug Smith from LA.....I remember being excited as he had the potential to be a decent offensive player...

I remember watching the first game...He was wicked tan lol....And there was a lot of excitement it seemed....And he scored in his first game as a Sabre, if I remember correctly he scored on his first shift....

He was here for three years....162 gp 35g 54a 89p -28 296pm

Last edited by VaporTrail: 09-06-2011 at 09:07 AM.
VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 10:18 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Anyone mention Special Neids/Nieds yet? Devils fans weren't shy about warning us not to expect much - and I'm not even sure he lived up to those bare minimum expectations. Loved the turn around we saw from him at the very end of the year, but that's just not good enough.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 02:48 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Anyone mention Special Neids/Nieds yet? Devils fans weren't shy about warning us not to expect much - and I'm not even sure he lived up to those bare minimum expectations. Loved the turn around we saw from him at the very end of the year, but that's just not good enough.
Why? Who thought it was a good idea at the time?

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 03:07 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Why? Who thought it was a good idea at the time?
I know I did. It was a Grier-esque move. Defensively responsible, experienced veteran.

The guy sucked in the regular season but turned it on down the stretch when we were fighting for a playoff birth and he was a beast in the playoffs as well. I don't include Nieds on this list at all.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Caroline Says ll
Bismarck

Send a message via ICQ to Caroline Says ll
I expected much more out of Dominic Moore. On the Leafs he always had energy that season, with the Sabres not so much.

Caroline Says ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 03:20 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

I thought Niedermayer was fine. Point total (19) that fit with his previous four seasons (22, 21, 16, 16) and great play in the playoffs.

I really liked Dan Paille when he came up for the Sabres. After his 19g campaign in 07-08 I thought he was going to be a legit 20-25 goal guy, like Ales Kotalik but with hustle. Not so much.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Acquiring Real Cloutier. Another freaking dud, though there was scuttlebutt that Bowman had a pet hate for Cloutier going back to Scotty's Hab days and he made sure to run Cloutier out of the league when he had a chance. Too bad it cost him so damn much to carry out a vendetta -- JF Sauve seemed to kill the Sabres for years in the playoffs, let alone them losing LW scoring for seemingly ever with McKegney gone. The Nords so often seemed to have the Sabres number, the last thing they needed were more guys to tune them up and Bowman gave them to them.
I share your pain, Chain! Other than a 2-week stretch around the holidays, when Cloutier potted hat tricks against his former team and the Jets, he was a total disappointment. I remember Bowman saying that he was hoping that the pairing of Cloutier and Gilles Hamel as wings for Perreault would create "another" French Connection. Instead, I seem to recall that Bowman ended up sitting Cloutier out for games near the end of that 83'-84' season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Perhaps part of why I don't like the "Spezza for a pile of Sabre stuff" proposals (that and not thinking Spezza is that much of a difference maker to warrant the sort of return, given his health, production, and playoff disappearences... any Tim Connolly type can rack up points on cellar dwellars and lottery teams and that is my preception of Spezza. When the going gets tough, Spezza sprains his spine.)
Add me to the petition list - I've never seen him as more than a higher-paid version of Connolly in terms of leadership, competitive spirit or coming through under pressure.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 10:34 PM
umbertovanek
Je suis Charlie

Slightly off topic, I know, but had the title of this thread been "It seemed like a BAD idea at the time", the drafting of the two Tylers would be pretty high up the list, I guess.

At least I got a pretty good kick out of re-reading the draft day thread when everyone was *****ing about Myers being chosen before Teubert.
And Ennis was projected by the talking heads to go in the second round.

Anyway, forgive me, I'm bored (can this effing season begin already?!)

umbertovanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART

No need to look further than some of our former goalies...

Drafting Darcy Wakaluk, Mika Noronen, & Adam Dennis (memorial cup winning goalie).

Signing Bob Essensa - < super hyped after heroics in previous year, never won a game - complete and total Bust!!!

Trading for Conklin - 5 starts, 1W < Why you should never trade for goalie potential, even for a 5th. Sadly he ended up doing fine after leaving.

Signing Joc Thibault - 12 starts, 3W < played decently in CHI prior to coming over... I personally was stoked to have such a reputable backup to replace Marty - Totally **** the bed when he got here.

Signing Patrick Lalime - 47GP, 5W < Once again, reputable NHL goaltender, possible platoon situation developing, the end of Thibault - ends up stealing 1 game in 3 years.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:03 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
I was at Fazoli's on Sheridan and Delaware the day the trade went down, and was chatting about it with Rob Ray and a much skinnier, healthier-looking Bulldog on the air about it. I think I was 9

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:53 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
I was at Fazoli's
Mmmmmmmm man! I miss Fazoli's! Everytime I go to others parts of the country I look online at Fazoli's locations most recent ... Sandusky Ohio about a month ago

Besides Torres, the handful of backup goalies mentioned a few posts ago were a good reminder of just how disappointing they were.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 11:55 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Holzinger, Primeau, Sarich for Gratton
Gratton was later flipped for Briere and we also got a 2nd round pick from Tampa, which Turned into Roy.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 12:01 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
No need to look further than some of our former goalies...

Drafting Darcy Wakaluk, Mika Noronen, & Adam Dennis (memorial cup winning goalie).

Signing Bob Essensa - < super hyped after heroics in previous year, never won a game - complete and total Bust!!!

Trading for Conklin - 5 starts, 1W < Why you should never trade for goalie potential, even for a 5th. Sadly he ended up doing fine after leaving.

Signing Joc Thibault - 12 starts, 3W < played decently in CHI prior to coming over... I personally was stoked to have such a reputable backup to replace Marty - Totally **** the bed when he got here.

Signing Patrick Lalime - 47GP, 5W < Once again, reputable NHL goaltender, possible platoon situation developing, the end of Thibault - ends up stealing 1 game in 3 years.
Conklin was simply intended to be a warm body to replace Biron, who they traded the same day. They wanted a backup with NHL experience in the event Miller got hurt, but they were never expecting Conklin to do anything. They weren't trading for potential or anything, they needed a replacement for Biron. It was good asset management.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote