HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Flames GM Feaster not impressed with Edmonton rebuild

Closed Thread

Old
09-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Ashasx

vCash: 500
I would like to say I agree with Feaster.

HOWEVER, of course he's saying these things at a season ticket holder forum. Every team that hosts these type of things takes jabs at other teams, rival teams. He should have taken a jab at the late 90s/early 00s Flames as well.

It got a good response out of the crowd.

There is more than one way to "rebuild". Some like to do it completely through the draft, but Feaster feels there is a less humbling way of doing things. He's only been on the job for 8 months, after all.

Old
09-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Shorthander

I agree with him, tanking is lame and is essentially taking out a loan on the fans goodwill that you may not be able to pay back.

That said, a team in the Flames situation does need to make some moves to acquire picks and prospects, though they do not need to ship anyone and everyone out in order to get them.

Old
09-03-2011, 10:50 PM
RA9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarDefense View Post

He inherited a team constructed by Rick Dudley.
I knew someone was going to say this, Feaster added guys like Fedetenko and Sydor in 04. Without Feds they would not have won. Also I guess winning the Executive of the year in 04 means nothing either.

Old
09-03-2011, 10:54 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

He might be eating those words 5 months from now

Old
09-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarDefense View Post
He mentioned the failures, but overlooked the successful teams. Just more evidence of the Flames being in denial.
What does that matter? The point is that rebuilding doesn't guarantee Cup success. It's a combination of things that need to work. People can't look past the likes of Pittsburgh and Chicago and now seem to think that there's only one way to build a contender and only one way to win a Cup. Feaster is defending Calgary's choice in not rebuilding by pointing out that a rebuild via draft is not the only way nor is it always the right way. Edmonton may be on its way but what about the likes of Columbus or Florida? Where have their years of top 10 draft picks gotten them in their franchise histories?

While I agree with Feaster that building through the draft is not the only way to succeed and there are certainly examples to show that it isn't always successful, I think calling out Edmonton was uncalled for. He could have stuck to speaking generally about it and if he wanted to name names, I think there are better examples he could have used.

Old
09-03-2011, 11:00 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

because the oilers had a lot of injuries the past few eyars has helped their rebuild. they are having players step up. feaster can be a hater all he wants but just wait. oilers are going to be scary in a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorthander View Post
I agree with him, tanking is lame and is essentially taking out a loan on the fans goodwill that you may not be able to pay back.
and who is tanking?

Old
09-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinWasAdopted View Post
He has a point....

...Sometimes building a team primarily through the draft works, sometimes it doesn't; sometimes building a team primarily through trading/free agency works, sometimes it doesn't.
Precisely.

Frankly, the difference in approach is not so much between Tambellini and Feaster, as much as it is between every NHL GM and many posters on this board.

It made complete sense for Edmonton to undertake a rebuild. However, that guarantees them nothing (except promise). But you would not know that reading some posts.

Feaster does not yet believe his team needs a major rebuild. Clearly posters here disagree and believe that the only path to success is a "major!" overhaul, pronto. They could be correct; we shall see. But, as a rule, NHL teams are not nearly as anxious as fans to "blow it all up!" With good reason.

Point is, whether it's Feaster in Calgary, Tambellini in Edmonton or 28 other GMs, they are paid to win. Tomorrow, yes. But also today. Which explains Feaster's comment. Meanwhile posters like us have the luxury of dreaming up wonderful rebuilds that will reap "guaranteed" success in some undefined future...based simply on collecting young unproven talent. If only it were that easy.

And PS - what Edmonton is doing is not "tanking".

Last edited by Trottier: 09-04-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old
09-03-2011, 11:32 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Good example; Minnesota. Some people like me thought they should rebuild. But they retooled and ended up with a deeper prospect pool and some big names at forward.

Old
09-03-2011, 11:36 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Edmonton Oiler fans don't even necessarily agree with the rebuild as it is going, but what choice did we have? We chased free agents and tried to be competitive and had tremendous injuries over a couple seasons... resulting in a last place finish.

It's not like management got together and said 'let's suck for the next three years', it becomes self apparent and then you have little choice but to go along with it. Why fill the team with high high priced UFAs when you have just drafted a bunch of young studs who will be commanding raises in 3 years? You won't have room to sign the Taylor Halls and MPSs of the world. That is even considering if they would sign here in the first place.

Old
09-03-2011, 11:51 PM
davebenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolWhipped View Post
I knew someone was going to say this, Feaster added guys like Fedetenko and Sydor in 04. Without Feds they would not have won. Also I guess winning the Executive of the year in 04 means nothing either.
I think if Dudley were there, he could have offered the high pick and gotten him too. I don't give Feaster much credit if any at all for that cup but perhaps that's just me

Old
09-03-2011, 11:51 PM
The Bored Man
5-14-6-1

Given his drafting record, I'm not surprised that he doesn't like what the Oilers are doing. The draft has not been kind to Jay Feaster.

Old
09-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Edmonton Oiler fans don't even necessarily agree with the rebuild as it is going, but what choice did we have? We chased free agents and tried to be competitive and had tremendous injuries over a couple seasons... resulting in a last place finish.

It's not like management got together and said 'let's suck for the next three years', it becomes self apparent and then you have little choice but to go along with it. Why fill the team with high high priced UFAs when you have just drafted a bunch of young studs who will be commanding raises in 3 years? You won't have room to sign the Taylor Halls and MPSs of the world. That is even considering if they would sign here in the first place.
Very true.

I don't think Feaster said anything that controversial, or new.

But right now, Edmonton has a lot of potential, Hall, MPS, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, Klefbom, Gagner (to some extent), Petry, Omark, Lander, Marincin. Their top 6 with Hall, Mps, Nugent, Eberle, and Gagner, will be stacked, if they keep developing.

Old
09-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
Edmonton won't improve until their blueline and goaltending issues are figured out.
Jeff Petry's the best thing since wrestling, don't you know?

Old
09-03-2011, 11:58 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by North View Post
You know, I don't mind if it's not something he would do. I just think it's rather odd that he was so inflammatory with his comments.

Why not just say I don't believe in doing that kind of rebuild. Why call out the Oilers? They aren't the ones telling him to rebuild the way they are.
Well, its a fan forum. He was probably trying to appeal to the common fan and relate the situation to something they would be more likely to know.

Old
09-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Ernie

He's right on the spot. Edmonton management has used this "rebuild" as a cover for their massive failures.

And it won't work. Why? It's pretty hard to build through the draft now. Players get paid top salaries right after their entry level contracts are done - look no further than the Van Riemsdyk contract.

Until the entire front office in Edmonton is swept clean, they are screwed. They are tagged as losers and nobody will come to Edmonton to play for a loser. Young players won't sign long term contracts to stay there.

Old
09-04-2011, 12:30 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF007 View Post
I kinda agree with feaster. In order to rebuild everyone expects calgary to tank, however there are more honorable ways to rebuild instead of taking the easy way out.
Spare me this. Teams stink, they get good picks. No one is intentionally dismantling a team so they can get to the top of the draft. So sick of this crap.

Old
09-04-2011, 12:32 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Jeff Petry's the best thing since wrestling, don't you know?
I take it this comment stems from that thread where one Oiler fan made a crazy statement about Petry's potential. It was then followed by about 2 pages of nothing but Petry bashing...but he's totally overrated, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
He's right on the spot. Edmonton management has used this "rebuild" as a cover for their massive failures.

And it won't work. Why? It's pretty hard to build through the draft now. Players get paid top salaries right after their entry level contracts are done - look no further than the Van Riemsdyk contract.

Until the entire front office in Edmonton is swept clean, they are screwed. They are tagged as losers and nobody will come to Edmonton to play for a loser. Young players won't sign long term contracts to stay there.
I'd say Tambellini has used the rebuild as a way of politely saying "No offense, Lowe. You tried your best but I'm going to start from scratch". It's not like it was Tambellini that handed out Horcoff, Souray, Pisani, Moreau, Gilbert, Nilsson or Staios' contracts. He's also not the one that traded Smyth away for nothing. He took over a team that not only had no real star players...it had no depth.

He didn't blow up the team to get a 1st overall pick. He blew it up because it sucked. In 2009-10 the Oilers were by far the worst team in the league and they had almost no cap space.

Last edited by Wheatking: 09-04-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old
09-04-2011, 12:34 AM
NastiMarvasti

I'm generally in favor of rebuilding rather than quick fixes but the two major problems I see with the Oilers rebuild is that a.) most of their talent is at the forward position, especially wingers, and b.) they don't seem to be adding much as far as veteran leadership goes. Sure they added Smyth but that was after Smyth begged. If you're going to throw these kids into the NHL right after they're drafted you need some guys to show them the ropes. You can't just put them out there and expect results after an X period of time.

Old
09-04-2011, 12:39 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastiMarvasti View Post
I'm generally in favor of rebuilding rather than quick fixes but the two major problems I see with the Oilers rebuild is that a.) most of their talent is at the forward position, especially wingers, and b.) they don't seem to be adding much as far as veteran leadership goes. Sure they added Smyth but that was after Smyth begged. If you're going to throw these kids into the NHL right after they're drafted you need some guys to show them the ropes. You can't just put them out there and expect results after an X period of time.
Veterans isn't really a concern. We have Smyth, Belanger, Horcoff, Hemsky, Whitney, Sutton etc. We have enough veterans, we just need our young players to develop now.

Old
09-04-2011, 12:41 AM
Banana Sandwiches

This is tough. I can't say I like what Edmonton has been doing (finishing so low the last few seasons), even though I don't think they're doing it on purpose obviously.

Ideally, I wish teams could retool in an off-season like the Flyers did in 2007. They went from a 50 point team to a 95 point team in a season by bringing in some big names. However, Edmonton really doesn't have this luxury because, to be brutally honest, not many players and UFA's want to play in Edmonton (I'm not saying all, but a good amount). So, the Oilers are sort of relying on their drafted players to help them get back to being a good team.

Old
09-04-2011, 12:44 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
Veterans isn't really a concern. We have Smyth, Belanger, Horcoff, Hemsky, Whitney, Sutton etc. We have enough veterans, we just need our young players to develop now.
I agree. While some of these players aren't in a position to really lead on the ice, it's turning these players into professionals off ice that is one of the biggest concerns. We don't need someone to come in and show Hall and Eberle how to score goals. However, watching a guy like Smyth give it his all every single shift or Horcoff be a gym rat and do tons of work in the community could go a long way.

Old
09-04-2011, 12:45 AM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I take it this comment stems from that thread where one Oiler fan made a crazy statement about Petry's potential. It was then followed by about 2 pages of nothing but Petry bashing...but he's totally overrated, right?

I'd say Tambellini has used the rebuild as a way of politely saying "No offense, Lowe. You tried your best but I'm going to start from scratch". It's not like it was Tambellini that handed out Horcoff, Souray, Pisani, Moreau, Gilbert, Nilsson or Staios' contracts. He's also not the one that traded Smyth away for nothing. He took over a team that not only had no real star players...it had no depth.

He didn't blow up the team to get a 1st overall pick. He blew it up because it sucked. In 2009-10 the Oilers were by far the worst team in the league and they had almost no cap space.
Except that Tambellini's moves have been highly suspect as well. Signed Khabibulin, screwed up on Souray, etc.

He's a guy that was passed over for the Vancouver GM job not once but twice, despite spending years and years in the organization. As I said, there needs to be a clean state that can rebuild confidence in the organization. Players sign in Detroit because they are perennial contenders. Edmonton now has the opposite reputation.

Old
09-04-2011, 01:03 AM
McCanovin
Oil Dynasty

The Tim Erixon syndrome got the best of Feaster.

Old
09-04-2011, 01:04 AM
Crabapple

vCash: 898
Sorry Feaster, im really happy for you, and ima let you finish, but Chicago had one of the best rebuilds of all time.

Of all time!

Old
09-04-2011, 01:14 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post

Yeah this is basically what I was going to say. The way people are suggestion how Calgary should 'tank & rebuild' isn't what Edmonton did. Edmonton didn't intentionally tank it, following the loss of Pronger they just went into a really bad tailspin and never recovered. They've picked twice two years in a row simple because especially with all the injuries they're just that bad. Edmonton's rebuild is more about making the best of a bad situation. They unintentionally hit rock bottom first, then they started showing patience and began 'rebuilding the proper way'.

Closed Thread