HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Flames GM Feaster not impressed with Edmonton rebuild

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2011, 01:19 AM
DecimatorDiecuts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabapple View Post
Sorry Feaster, im really happy for you, and ima let you finish, but Chicago had one of the best rebuilds of all time.
Too bad they couldn't maintain it though. One year later they barely squeak into the playoffs. I'm not conviced the draft high for consecutive years rebuild is the best long term solution either. The only team thus far that doesn't show immediate signs of having to offload their high drafts and keep a dangerously competitive team is Pittsburgh.

Old
09-04-2011, 01:22 AM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaide View Post
Oilers GM Tambellini not impressed with Calgary rebuild

someone beat me to it!

Old
09-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiace View Post
I'd very much like to hear Tambellini's response.
You wont.

Old
09-04-2011, 01:36 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post

And it won't work. Why? It's pretty hard to build through the draft now. Players get paid top salaries right after their entry level contracts are done - look no further than the Van Riemsdyk contract.

I'm tired of this. The Blues have done a good job of giving their RFA's reasonable contracts coming off of their ELC's. Not all teams are going the same route when it comes to their RFA's.

Old
09-04-2011, 01:54 AM
GeeoffBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Jeff Petry's the best thing since wrestling, don't you know?
Investing in your kids' ears and nesting?

Old
09-04-2011, 02:04 AM
AlexanderTheGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post

someone beat me to it!
Me too...

Old
09-04-2011, 02:09 AM
piere McGuire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tututooter21 View Post
Edmonton is probebly doing the best rebuild out there, wheter you hate it or not.

-Nucks fan
Are you honestly that terrible at spelling?

Old
09-04-2011, 03:07 AM
crazyforhockey

feaster is probably more mad at Former GM Sutter for the mess he left him

Old
09-04-2011, 03:15 AM
Eytinge

Quote:

No one is, really.

Old
09-04-2011, 03:16 AM
PZA*
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Blackhawks and Penguins are the exception for winning cups after the rebuild.... but you know why? Cause they drafted Toews/Kane amd Crosby/Malkin.... none of which the Oilers prospects touch them talent/skill wise.

Old
09-04-2011, 03:27 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Okay, Feaster, what does Calgary have? An old man as their top forward, no top center, no top pairing defensemen, an aging, declining goalie, and a completely empty prospect cupboard.

Edmonton? Only four of the best young players in the game, a very talented, when healthy, veteran top line winger, a #2 defenseman and one of the fullest prospect cupboards in the NHL. Edmonton's only weakness is goaltending. With the amount of goalies that have been left jobless over the past few years, that won't be hard to fix once the drunkard is gone.

Old
09-04-2011, 03:28 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Jeff Petry's the best thing since wrestling, don't you know?
Apparently he's on the same development curve as Subban who happens to be a year younger.

Old
09-04-2011, 03:30 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarDefense View Post

He inherited a team constructed by Rick Dudley.
so then Shero hasnt done anything either then?

Old
09-04-2011, 03:40 AM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
It cant be judged as best now. It needs to be judged in a few years. Its entirely possible it amounts to nothing significant.
Very true. The Oilers haven't accomplished anything yet.

Old
09-04-2011, 04:42 AM
yukoner88

vCash: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Except that Tambellini's moves have been highly suspect as well. Signed Khabibulin, screwed up on Souray, etc.

He's a guy that was passed over for the Vancouver GM job not once but twice, despite spending years and years in the organization. As I said, there needs to be a clean state that can rebuild confidence in the organization. Players sign in Detroit because they are perennial contenders. Edmonton now has the opposite reputation.
Souray's mouth, screwed up Souray

Old
09-04-2011, 04:47 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Good on him for calling this out! I'm not a fan of Feaster or his moves and what he's doing to the Flame... well I'm ok with it hahah, but I'll give him credit for this.

Old
09-04-2011, 04:55 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Calgary is sort of a meh team to me.. I dont really like them and dont hate them either but I do Like Feaster.. Im hoping the Flames makes the playoffs this year

Old
09-04-2011, 05:29 AM
Live from Rexall

All this tanking talk is nonsense. Look at the teams and man games lost we have had the last two years. Its not tanking if you outright just plain suck! Yeah we traded away our vets at the deadline but we were not even close to the playoff picture, every team does that. No decent talent was willing to sign in Edmonton for bad weather and just to lose. I believe Feaster will eat these words if he is around long enough cause the weather isn't much better down Hwy 2, and the Flames for the forseeable future will be like the Oilers were in 10-7th place every year.

Old
09-04-2011, 05:34 AM
Papaspud
Vatman

Looks like the first game between these two teams( preseason, or regular) will be be a donnybrook. Gotta love GM's stirring the pot.

Old
09-04-2011, 06:04 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 6908
While it's true that a rebuild is no guarantee of success, I'd put good money on Edmonton dominating Calgary within the next couple of years. And as of right now, the Oilers at least have promise. Calgary has a mess. Better to outright suck for a few years than to continually finish in the middle of the pack, more often than not missing the postseason in the process. I mean, at the end of the day, neither team is lifting the Cup. Edmonton is looking a lot closer to that reality than Calgary.

Old
09-04-2011, 06:18 AM
stlblues9

vCash: 9062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly View Post
Blackhawks and Penguins are the exception for winning cups after the rebuild.... but you know why? Cause they drafted Toews/Kane amd Crosby/Malkin.... none of which the Oilers prospects touch them talent/skill wise.
I would say Hall definitely has as much talent as Toews or Kane, maybe not yet but he will soon. RNH could very well be as good as them too.

Old
09-04-2011, 06:33 AM
richardsequalscup*

What Edmonton is doing is pathetic. Pittsburg is the king of tanking seasons to get franchise talent. I have no respect for them. Washington did it. Chicago did it.

However, that doesn't change the fact that Feaster is clueless and has no clue how to draft.

Old
09-04-2011, 06:44 AM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

vCash: 50
It is possible the Calgary market/owners won't accept the type of rebuild like Edmonton is doing. It does take giving up some pride and ambition.

Also, remember that Feaster inherited a barren prospect pool. So let's assume he ships off all these veterans for 50 cents a dollar, who exactly would he replace them with?

While needlessly confrontational, I think Feaster has a point. Rolling over and dying for a few years is no guarantee for future success. I'd argue that many of the teams that have under-performing for a number of years might have problems establishing a winning culture. Edmonton might be one of those teams.

Old
09-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsequalscup View Post
What Edmonton is doing is pathetic. Pittsburg is the king of tanking seasons to get franchise talent. I have no respect for them. Washington did it. Chicago did it.

However, that doesn't change the fact that Feaster is clueless and has no clue how to draft.
Yea bro, so pathetic, all these teams scientifically planned out their tanking strategy and sucked on purpose just to rebuild, clearly they dont deserve your respect........./sarcasm off.

Oh yea and one more thing, I feel bad for Flames fans. Im from the future and say that Feaster is in denile, and will be eating those words a few years from now.

Flames are going to stink this year, book it!

Old
09-04-2011, 07:15 AM
MS

Both teams are screwed.

Calgary is hooped because of Sutter's incompetence, but Feaster is right - they'll still be a competitive team next season and have a strong chance of making the playoffs.

And he's right about Edmonton - they might have had a few very high picks, but those players will do exactly what the last 3 cycles of 'great Oiler prospects' have done and underachieve and fail, unless Edmonton actually gets some management in there who can take the bull by the horns and turn those assets into a contending team.

Right now the Oilers are not the Chicago Blackhawks or Pittsburgh Penguins, they're the new Florida Panthers or Atlanta Thrashers. And next season looks like it will be little different. The thing about the Pittsburgh and Chicago rebuilds is that they bottomed out and turned it around quickly, and guys like Toews and Crosby weren't spending 3-4 years playing for a last place team learning how to lose, and not developing because they were playing endless mean-nothing games for a team that had no interest in winning and put no expectations on its players.

Edmonton needs a GM will ball up and trade one of their 'big 3' prospects (not Hall) somewhere for a young-ish top-4 defender, and needs to clean our rubbish like Khabibulin, even if they were paying his full salary to play in Siberia.

Saw Tambellini up close for 15 years and that guy will never build a team that amounts to anything. Wears sharp suits and has friends in high places in Hockey Canada, but is well short on actual hockey knowledge and player evaluation skills, and simply doesn'thave the stones to be a top NHL executive.

Closed Thread