HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

playing with a herniated disc

Old
08-28-2011, 09:43 AM
felixno44

vCash: 500
playing with a herniated disc

hi guys, just wondering if any of you could help me out with this:

i am 30 years old and in very good shape. i used to work out 2-3 times a week and played hockey at least twice a week. last year i started noticing a radiating pain through the back of my left leg. at first i thought i might have torn a muscle (never having any pain in my back), but a friend told me that the way i described it was a typical sign for a herniated disc. so i saw a doctor, got an MRT and it showed a herniated L4/L5 disc. i got physiotherapie and took a break form hockey for about 5 months (feb-late july).
ever since ive been slowly getting back into it, practicing with my team (no games), open hockey from time to time etc. however, im sometimes still feeling that radiating pain, especially after sitting for long stretches (im a teacher, so lots of desk work).
right now my girlfriend convinced me to stop playing until ive seen a doctor again.
long story short, my question is does any of you ever had any experience suffering this type of injurie ? how long did it take you to (or did you ever) fully recover ? were you still playing (my doctor told me to strengthen my core, isnt hockey ideal for this ?) ? can you do any further damage playing (bend over postion, rotational motion) ? im just too active to take a break form sports for a long time, esp hockey . any feedback would be greatly appreciated !!!

felixno44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 10:59 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Sounds like you need to see a chiropractor. If you're sitting in a chair for a long period of time try a memory foam cushion.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 12:00 PM
markrander87

I've had the same injury for lacrosse. They told me roughly the same durstion to sit out but I sat or for about 1.5 weeks (Then playoffs and nationals started) I went to physio a couple times but more or less It feels like a tight ball of muscle now in the lower left side of my back.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 07:44 AM
RedLight40

I had a herniated disc there in my early 20s, also shooting pain down my left leg. I wasn't playing hockey at the time, but I did play pick up basketball daily. That never added to the pain, I like you, had issues with sitting. My doctor thought playing basketball was fine if it didn't cause me pain, so perhaps you should ask your doctor about Hockey.

My doctor had me take NSAIDs, although it took a while to find one that worked well. OTC Ibuprofen worked best for me. Although what I found, was that with the right chairs, I could sit for hours. Through the years, I have gotten good chairs at work, and know what brand of cars fit my back my well and no longer take any NSAIDs. I remember renting a Nissan when my Pontiac broke down on a trip. I still had a 6 hour drive ahead of me, and when I got home, I had no pain at all. I bought a new Nissan the next month. So I recommend you experiment with desk chairs and when you get a new car, consider the seat.

My doctor also told me to strengthen my core. I didnt listen for 10 years though. Then I ended up in the ER with excruciating back pain (muscle related not disc) that made me unable to move at all. Since then, I have done sit ups, super mans and stretching almost every day. That has been about 3 years ago, and I can sit in just about any chair without pain. I wish I had followed the doctors advice.

I dont think Hockey will strengthen your core, but it does help your hockey if you do strengthen it. Your will be much more stable, helping everything from shot accuracy, speed to general skating. You have to work on your core though. Daily sit-ups for sure. A weekly Pilates class or two will really help once you have built up the core a bit.

RedLight40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:34 PM
shakes the clown

I consider myself an expert on this topic (unfortunately for me) so you've come to the right place. I'm 41 years old and I had my first herniated disc and back surgery at age 27. Between ages 27 and 38 I've had a total of 6 herniated discs and 6 back surgeries. 5 of them were at L5-S1 and the most recent one was at L4-L5.

If you are having radiculation down your leg that is neve a good thing, however if the radiculation goes away with rest that is a good sign. If the radiculation never went away I would say consult a neurosurgeon right away, but you wouldn't need me to tell you that because if you get to that point you'll be in so much pain that you would probably already have done that.

Some tips I would give you: DON'T see a chiropractor!!! They are hacks who are only interested in racking up a huge bill. And they are not medical doctors! We're talking about your spine here, do you really want someone with minimal qualifications treating you for that? You should probably go see a neuro or orthopedic surgeon now, just so he/she can give you advice and meds. More likely than not, you will be prescribed physical therapy at a reputable place where they can work on your core as well as give you treatments such as ultrasound and electric stim.

The doc might also want to give you a medrol dospak which is an oral steroid. These can work wonders. If that doesn't work, the doc might want you to get an epidural steroid injection. There are a more direct approach and can relieve the radiculation.

Worse case scenario, the pain doesn't go away or it gets worse and you're talking surgery.

Now you asked if hockey can make it worse? Yes and no. The usual mechancis of playing no check hockey will NOT make your disc worse. However, if you catch a rut in the ice while going backwards and have a hard fall on your back you can definitely make it MUCH worse. This is what led to one of my surgeries.

Hit the boards hard and you can make it worse as well. But skating stride and the usual bending and twisting won't hurt your back.

A tip I would give you is to stand, not sit, when you are on the bench. Or,even better, if you have room behind the bench, lay down on your stomack and press up on your elbows. You have probably seen basketball players such as Larry Bird and Steve Nash do this. What it does is push the disc away from the nerve.

The biggest advice I can give is to not be stupid like me. Many times docs have told me to stop playing or to take it easy and I've gone right out there and played anyway...and now I'm talking to you as a guy who has had 6 back surgeries and deals with back pain every day.

But, the plus side is I'm 41 you can learn to live with it and even thrive. I play 4-5 times a week now and at at A level. Sure, I can barely move afterwards and sometimes the next day I struggle to even put my socks on, but it sure beats sitting on the couch all night getting fat.

Any more questions feel free to pm me, I'm more than happy to give advice on this topic. Like I said, unfortunately I've become an expert.

shakes the clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Drrocket9

respectfully disagree with above comment regarding chiropractic care

i am 50, played hockey for well over 20 years, prior to this i was moving furniture and began suffering the sciatic leg pain that indicated back problems.

after wasting time with regular Drs, chiropractic care took all of my pain away. a few years into my hockey playing, some 300 lb meathead crosschecked me into the boards (wall) at Eastridge in San Jose. after that i was out of action and in constant pain for about 3 months, during which i began agressive visits to chiro, which led to a return to the ice, and many years of playing.

my problems stemmed from an L5 being turned out of place and touching nerves. at the present time i have not been playing due to dismissal from my previous clubs captain, not for any health issues.

i have dealt with severe pain at times, yet never have i been prescribed any nasty pain medications such as Vicodin. i deal with pain by using naproxin or ibuprofen.

i currently have some neck issues and am seeing a chiro who has a table that stretches the spine, and has a feature where my neck is placed in a brace and then my neck is stretched to relieve pressure on the discs and return the C1, 2 and 3 to proper alignment. they are now curved to the right, and causing me headaches and arm numbness and pain.

surgery is an absolute last resort, and once gone through, i dont believe a person will ever be able to return to normal health. i had days where i walked around like a 90 year old man, chiropractic care saved my quality of life.

Drrocket9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 09:58 PM
94now

I doubt chiropractic care is known in Germany.

Don't fall on your butt. When you know you are about to do it, grab someone to make it less of the impact on the way down and try to turn to hit elbow first. That will save you from pain killers. I do Cobra figure from yoga during pre game stretches, it does wonders for me. I use chiropractor often simply because I am very susceptible to that treatment, some people aren't.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 10:12 PM
gluvhand

I went through something very similar about 5 years ago (I'm 45 now). I got an epidural and went to physical therapy for about 7 months 2-3 nights a week. The epidural took care of the pain but my left foot would drop when I put any weight on it. The doctor told me when I could walk on my heel without the foot dropping that would be the cue that I was back to normal and when that happened I went back to playing immediately and haven't stopped since. The physical therapy you receive is key. More than anything do the stretches and excercises they advise and keep doing them after you feel better. I still do mine them to this day and haven't had any episodes.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 11:39 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJohns View Post
respectfully disagree with above comment regarding chiropractic care

i am 50, played hockey for well over 20 years, prior to this i was moving furniture and began suffering the sciatic leg pain that indicated back problems.

after wasting time with regular Drs, chiropractic care took all of my pain away. a few years into my hockey playing, some 300 lb meathead crosschecked me into the boards (wall) at Eastridge in San Jose. after that i was out of action and in constant pain for about 3 months, during which i began agressive visits to chiro, which led to a return to the ice, and many years of playing.

my problems stemmed from an L5 being turned out of place and touching nerves. at the present time i have not been playing due to dismissal from my previous clubs captain, not for any health issues.

i have dealt with severe pain at times, yet never have i been prescribed any nasty pain medications such as Vicodin. i deal with pain by using naproxin or ibuprofen.

i currently have some neck issues and am seeing a chiro who has a table that stretches the spine, and has a feature where my neck is placed in a brace and then my neck is stretched to relieve pressure on the discs and return the C1, 2 and 3 to proper alignment. they are now curved to the right, and causing me headaches and arm numbness and pain.

surgery is an absolute last resort, and once gone through, i dont believe a person will ever be able to return to normal health. i had days where i walked around like a 90 year old man, chiropractic care saved my quality of life.
Agree, the guys argument is chiropractors are hacks yet his "real" doctors have left him in pain for the rest of his life? I can literally feel when I'm out of alignment from getting bumps and bruises from hockey, I go to the chiropractor, pay a $30 co pay and when I leave I feel 100%. The chiropractor I go to has treated professional hockey players who live in the area so he's experienced in the problems we suffer from.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Dr Van Nostrand
Banned

hockey players have to know the difference between injuries and pain. This is an injury, seriously go see a doctor and maybe even see a chiropractor in an attempt to get it fixed.

Dr Van Nostrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Stickmata

Sci at ic a. I had two herniated discs (l4/l5 and l5/s1) and foot drop. Pain wasn't the issue, loss of function in my left leg was the issue. Scary stuff. Tried PT, steroids, epi. Had to have surgery to correct it. Still not 100% by any stretch, but massive improvement over where I was. During the time I had the nerve impingement, I had a fair bit of nerve death in my leg. Hasn't fully recovered - probably 85%. Sucks to get old.

Oh and I've since used a chiropractor to try to fix some related nerve problems that cause painful cramping in my left hip. Hasn't helped much.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:20 PM
difren

I wouldn't play with a herniated disk. I take that back, I COULDN'T play with a herniated disk. Last April I herniated the L5/S1 disk. Along with that I had foot drop. It happened after a playoff game, went home, felt a little tight in the back, stretched (apparently one of the worst things to do at that point as it increases inflammation), and went to sleep. Woke up the next morning and could barely move. Walking was nearly impossible, but I put up with it for two days going to work and then just lying down when I got home until it was time to work again. After two days, I had to go to the doctor, I could not take the pain anymore.

Doc prescribe some Vicodin, Ibuprofen, and Prednisone (a powerful steroid, it's a five day (maybe six?) cycle, reducing dosage each day). At the same time I was interested in alternative approaches and went to the chiropractor as well. The Prednisone worked best, as it got rid of the inflammation and I was able to walk somewhat within three days. The chiropractor used Flexion-Distraction technique along with some electrical nerve stimulation. All in all, it took a little over a month and a half before I felt no more pain. I waited another month before I stepped foot on the ice. In a couple weeks I was back to playing pickup again.

There's not always one correct answer, as each injury is different. I would suggest using surgery as a last ditch attempt to heal yourself and to try alternative treatment before doing so. Chiropractors will recommend you to a neurosurgeon if they believe they can not help you, at least mine let me know that he would.

These days I get around fine, can play with my two year old daughter and live a normal life, one that includes playing hockey still.

difren is offline   Reply With Quote