HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Scott Stevens' Hits in Todays NHL

Old
09-04-2011, 04:27 PM
GreatGonzo
Registered Derp

vCash: 500
Scott Stevens' Hits in Todays NHL

Scott Stevens was well known for being a vicious hitter. He, in my opinion is the best open ice hitter and very well may be the best hitter to ever play the game. My question to you guys is would Scott Steven's hits be legal in today's NHL with all its new rules and regulations regarding hits to the head and in general, and if so, would it lessen his dominance?

Just some vids for the thread

GreatGonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 04:53 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

The Kariya hit would probably be a 5 minute interference call since it was somewhat late.

The rest of his famous hits would be legal under last year's rules (Nobody seems to know exactly what the rule will be next season). They were generally from the front, involved a guy who had the puck or was in the process of getting rid of it, and didn't involve an elbow or upward motion before contact is made.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkLoc91 View Post
My question to you guys is would Scott Steven's hits be legal in today's NHL with all its new rules and regulations regarding hits to the head and in general, and if so, would it lessen his dominance?
As someone who watched his entire career, my answers are, in order:

Depending on which hits you mean, no, some certainly would not be legal in today's game. But that is no reflection on the player; it is a reflection on the evolution (or de-evolution, if one prefers) of the NHL.

And, yes, he would be as dominant. Dynamic, as in: highlight hits? No. But it is important to note that over the last portion of his career, Stevens refined his game considerably from his first decade (with the Caps). That is to say, through his 20s, he hit everything that moved...and at times put himself out of position doing so.

With age and experience, came wisdom and a refining of his game. While he still hit a lot, he picked his spots and likewise was GREAT positionally. Of course, he held nothing back come the postseason and the legendary playoff hits with NJD speak to that. In my mind, the single most valuable player of the playoffs, 1995-2003, a time when a single hit could still change a game, a series, entirely. (Sadly, that aspect has pretty much been lost in the kinder and gentler, post-modern NHL.)

BTW - in my time, he and Denis Potvin rank 1-2 (pick either one) for open ice hitting among dmen.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Hoser

The Kariya hit was late; I would have given him an interference penalty for it.

Otherwise, as pointed out above, in general his hits were from the front, did not involve the elbow, weren't directed at the head and were usually on guys who had the puck or were just getting rid of it. Very hard hits but clean by all definition. In general Stevens would use his positioning to force an opponent to skate into him.

Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Depending on which hits you mean, no, some certainly would not be legal in today's game. But that is no reflection on the player; it is a reflection on the evolution (or de-evolution, if one prefers) of the NHL.
Agreed. But evolution just means change, not progress along a hierarchy assuming an ideal end point. Thus de-evolution is nonsensicle.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Dark Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post

Otherwise, as pointed out above, in general his hits were from the front, did not involve the elbow, weren't directed at the head and were usually on guys who had the puck or were just getting rid of it. Very hard hits but clean by all definition. In general Stevens would use his positioning to force an opponent to skate into him.
Well, one thing that would not fly in today's NHL is the manner in which Steven's defensive partner would usually clutch, grab, and steer them into Stevens.

A few of his hits were blindside hits as well.

But in general, he was a beast.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
Agreed. But evolution just means change, not progress along a hierarchy assuming an ideal end point. Thus de-evolution is nonsensicle.
OK, then how about "sterilization" of the NHL? I was attempting to avoid provoking a prolonged, off-topic kneejerk defense of today's kinder and gentler game.

Last edited by Trottier: 09-04-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:15 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Only thing that made any of his hits blindside were the victim's head being turned. He hit from the front, all clean, brutal, perfect hits! THAT'S HOCKEY ************!!!!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Timmer44

vCash: 833
Yes, he would have had to hold back.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 12:47 AM
GreatGonzo
Registered Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post

You cannot compare these two hits. Rome's hit was a very very late cheap shot. Steven's hit was interference.

GreatGonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Big Phil

I think there are too many people who get their panties in a knot nowadays and even a hit like Lindros' would send a wave of posts on these boards and over analysis. But are they legal? Like someone mentioned, the Kariya one was a little late and was even questioned as being late in 2003. The others are fine even to today's standards

Lindros in 2000 - legal
Willis/Francis 2001 - perfectly legal
Kozlov 1995 - legal

Could Stevens have let up on any of these guys and not hit them? Of course he could have. But I'll throw you out a stat:

Number of Cups for Stevens - 3
Number of Cups for Lindros - 0

Maybe Stevens is a "meanie" by Michael Lansberg or (pick a writer on the Hockey News) standards but that doesn't mean he wasn't playing the game legally. None of his hits are blindsided. Some guys have their heads down but keep in mind the culture of the NHL (like society) is not to blame the puck carrier anymore but the hitter. No one can take responsibility anymore for things and that is what is killing the physical aspect of the NHL. Lindros was in the wrong in 2000. Sorry, but he was. This is Game 7, if Stevens doesn't hit him watch the play very, very closely, you could easily see a promising rush going against Brodeur. This is why Stevens is a champion and a warrior, he knew how to win and what it took to win. Lindros did not.

By the way, was Horton also in the wrong in 2011? Yes he was. Rome threw a borderline late hit but if Horton has his head up he gets up after that hit.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post

Looked to me like all of them were directed to the head.

Either that or he missed a lot.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post

That's not a blindside hit to the head?

Old
09-05-2011, 09:23 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

i always wondered whether niedermayer or one of stevens' other partners ever got a concussion from one of those giant hits.

on two separate occasions this season, dan hamhuis got hurt when his partner kevin bieksa hit a guy. with how hard and how often he hit, how did stevens never inadvertently kill a teammate?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:27 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
That's not a blindside hit to the head?
Late and blind.

Stevens hit with the intention of injuring guys and that is why he'll always be down a notch in my books.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 12:06 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Late and blind.

Stevens hit with the intention of injuring guys and that is why he'll always be down a notch in my books.
You're failing to make a distinction between "causing pain" and "actually injuring" guys. Stevens hit with the intention of causing pain - and it forced opponents to play a certain way to the benefit of Stevens' team. But he didn't intend to actually cause serious injury. Any of the articles about how he was in tears and had to be comforted by his coach (the former great big hitter Larry Robinson) after the famous Lindros hit would tell you that.

Old
09-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
You're failing to make a distinction between "causing pain" and "actually injuring" guys. Stevens hit with the intention of causing pain - and it forced opponents to play a certain way to the benefit of Stevens' team. But he didn't intend to actually cause serious injury. Any of the articles about how he was in tears and had to be comforted by his coach (the former great big hitter Larry Robinson) after the famous Lindros hit would tell you that.
He was certainly more careful after that.

Old
09-06-2011, 06:32 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Stevens wasn't a dirty hitter it was the devils system that made his hits dirty. Devils took full advantage of holding/hooking/steering someone into Stevens which then annihilated the poor sap.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Stevens wasn't a dirty hitter it was the devils system that made his hits dirty. Devils took full advantage of holding/hooking/steering someone into Stevens which then annihilated the poor sap.
A misconception about the Devils.

Consistently one of the least penalized teams in the league.

Old
09-06-2011, 07:05 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:

Those things not being called is why we ended up with the garbage era of hockey between lockouts.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Dark Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Indeed. I mentioned as much above. Most hits in his top 10 video involve watching his defensive partner clutch, hook, and steer them right into an oncoming Stevens.

Quote:

I am sure you recall that they almost never called clutching and grabbing unless the puck carrier was literally hauled down. The video shows it happening in abundance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Those things not being called is why we ended up with the garbage era of hockey between lockouts.
Exactly.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 07:34 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

Of course the Devils clutched and grabbed - everyone did. And yeah, if clutching and grabbing is allowed, they'd be stupid not to use it to direct players to Stevens' side of the ice.

I always thought the Devils clutched and grabbed less than other teams, because they were usually in better defensive position (The Trap!), but of course I was biased.

Old
09-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Of course the Devils clutched and grabbed - everyone did. And yeah, if clutching and grabbing is allowed, they'd be stupid not to use it to direct players to Stevens' side of the ice.

I always thought the Devils clutched and grabbed less than other teams, because they were usually in better defensive position (The Trap!), but of course I was biased.
In this case you were correct, bias aside.

I was always amazed at how little the Devils interfered as compared to other teams. They played great team defense and were in better position than any other teams. People can claim they were the cause of the clutch & grab era ending but if you watched them play alot you would know its not true.

Old
09-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Stevens knew what he was doing, he blurred the line between causing pain and actually injuring guys and hid behind the former to do the latter within the rules. Still wrong.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 12:16 AM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
In this case you were correct, bias aside.

I was always amazed at how little the Devils interfered as compared to other teams. They played great team defense and were in better position than any other teams. People can claim they were the cause of the clutch & grab era ending but if you watched them play alot you would know its not true.
One could argue that they were (partially) indirectly responsible. I.e. teams saw the success that the Devils had with their defensive style, and most lacked the personnel/coaching to execute the Devils system, thus resorting to clutch and grab. Certainly not the Devils' fault, just an extreme case of the NHL's tendency to imitate the winners. Also, there were a couple of other teams that played good positional defense, so the Devils wouldn't be the only team being copied (Detroit, Colorado).

TasteofFlames is offline   Reply With Quote