HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What to do with Hamrlik?

Closed Thread

Old
08-14-2004, 08:13 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

vCash: 500
What to do with Hamrlik?

With Aucoin cashing in from arbitration, and Niinimaa getting a good deal from the Islanders, it doesn't look like there's much salary space left to sign Hamrlik.

The only team that I know has been reported interested is Tampa Bay. I think the addition of Hamrlik to Tampa would place them over Ottawa as Eastern Conference favorites.

What would the Islanders ask from Tampa in exchange for Hamrlik's rights?

Old
08-14-2004, 08:33 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Isles GM was quoted in NEWSDAY a few weeks ago as saying that he anticipated that the Isles had room for all four dmen in their budget for the year. Hamrlik waived arbitration, and is currently trying to work out a longterm deal with the Islanders. With Aucoin likely to hit UFA status next year, the Isles will try and lock him up for protection, as they did with Janne N.

So, in answer to your question, unless some team is willing to trade the Isles an inexpensive banger who can play top four minutes, Hamrlik isn't going anywhere. In fact, for contract reasons, I think Aucoin may be more likely to get moved down the line.

Also, Tampa is hardly in a $ position to trade for an expensive veteran dman. The Isles and Tampa discussed, Tampa wasn't happy, and they made the move to bring in Sydor instead.

Old
08-14-2004, 08:35 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
With Aucoin cashing in from arbitration, and Niinimaa getting a good deal from the Islanders, it doesn't look like there's much salary space left to sign Hamrlik.

The only team that I know has been reported interested is Tampa Bay. I think the addition of Hamrlik to Tampa would place them over Ottawa as Eastern Conference favorites.

What would the Islanders ask from Tampa in exchange for Hamrlik's rights?
Peca was signed to a backloaded deal.Yashin's deal pays the highest amounts in yrs 4,5,6 and 7.

offer Hamrlik a backloaded 3-4 yr deal.

Next yr Aucoin probably leaves as a ufa,freeing up $4.25m
July 2006,Peca is a ufa,freeing up another $4.25m.

Niinimaa's signed for 3 yrs.Isles need to sign at least 2,perferable 3 of their top 4 longterm.

TB tried 2x previously since June 2003 for Hamrlik and the teams couldn't reach agreement.I don't see them suddenly reaching a deal now.

Old
08-14-2004, 08:37 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

The Isles are also going to free room in their budget by letting Snow and Chow walk. Those two alone will come close to covering Aucoin and Hamrlik's raises, and most of the other guys they resigned didn't get much in the way of raises.

The Isles payroll should rise again next year, if they sign all four dmen, but it still won't be much more than league average.

Of course, they have no money left to move for other expensive players, but that is another issue....

Final point: I do think all the talk about Hamrlik getting moved is really jumping the gun, and I don't think it will happen. But, I do think it is possible. In other words, I think Kmad's original post was reasonable in its basic question.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 08-14-2004 at 08:48 PM.
Old
08-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
Next yr Aucoin probably leaves as a ufa,freeing up $4.25m
July 2006,Peca is a ufa,freeing up another $4.25m.
As you and Darth are correct a vast majority of the time Crew (seriously), I'll point out here, with your dual anticipations of Aucoin's and Peca's escape from Long Island in the next couple of years, that you both were pretty certain that a top 4 NYI dman would be moved this summer.

So far, not true.

Likewise, I'm not buying the assumption about the Isles captain and Aucoin. So much could happen to influence events between now and then, on and off the ice.

Last edited by Trottier: 08-14-2004 at 09:44 PM.
Old
08-14-2004, 09:58 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
your dual anticipations of Aucoin's and Peca's escape from Long Island in the next couple of years, that you both were pretty certain that a top 4 NYI dman would be moved this summer.

So far, not true.

Likewise, I'm not buying the assumption about the Isles captain and Aucoin. So much could happen to influence events between now and then, on and off the ice.

Let Milbury put a multi-yr extension on the table to Aucoin.If he wants to stay he'll sign.If he wants to test the free agent waters,maybe sign with a team closer to winning the cup,the isles will at least know and turn their attention to Hamrlik.

Old
08-14-2004, 10:36 PM
Law Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
I'd be surprised now if they had any interest. A lot of that went on before the Cup victory and before they landed Darryl Sydor. I think Sydor and Boyle are a good enough offensive combination that they don't need Hamrlik as well. What they may want to do is look for a grittier bigger guy to replace Jassen Cullimore .....

Old
08-14-2004, 11:28 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg
I'd be surprised now if they had any interest. A lot of that went on before the Cup victory and before they landed Darryl Sydor. I think Sydor and Boyle are a good enough offensive combination that they don't need Hamrlik as well. What they may want to do is look for a grittier bigger guy to replace Jassen Cullimore .....
I agree.

And, actually, I think Sydor makes more sense than Hamrlik for Tampa (Hamrlik has a higher top end, but Sydor is more consistent).

I have a feeling that Tampa is going to do fine without Culimore.

Old
08-15-2004, 12:14 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
If the Islanders were smart, they'd keep all four and take a shot at winning it all next year. They have a solid nucleus on D and up front. With excellent depth and a rising number one goalie, who says they aren't that far away from making a playoff run?

Old
08-15-2004, 12:15 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
If the Islanders were smart, they'd keep all four and take a shot at winning it all next year. They have a solid nucleus on D and up front. With excellent depth and a rising number one goalie, who says they aren't that far away from making a playoff run?

They could probably make the playoffs. BUt, I don't see them going too far.

Old
08-15-2004, 12:16 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
As you and Darth are correct a vast majority of the time Crew (seriously), I'll point out here, with your dual anticipations of Aucoin's and Peca's escape from Long Island in the next couple of years, that you both were pretty certain that a top 4 NYI dman would be moved this summer.

So far, not true.

When did I say a top four guy would be moved this summer?

Old
08-15-2004, 12:19 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
They could probably make the playoffs. BUt, I don't see them going too far.

They can do a lot better than the past three years. They have Yashin, Kvasha, Peca, Blake, Parrish and Hunter up front along with Scatchard and Bates. The lines will be balanced. Weinhandl will improve as well.

With their D, they should be able to go farther.

It's all dependant on DiPietro. He will mature. The way to advance further is to get a higher playoff seed.

Old
08-15-2004, 12:23 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
They can do a lot better than the past three years. They have Yashin, Kvasha, Peca, Blake, Parrish and Hunter up front along with Scatchard and Bates. The lines will be balanced. Weinhandl will improve as well.

With their D, they should be able to go farther.

It's all dependant on DiPietro. He will mature. The way to advance further is to get a higher playoff seed.

I hope you are right. My concern is there are a lot of teams in the conference that have made noticable upgrades in talent (like the Habs, for example). The Isles could do better than they have, but they'll have to fight for it.

Old
08-15-2004, 01:01 AM
whoshouse

i think it'll take DiPietro another year or two before he can totally become a number one goalie who can take this team to the playoffs...so maybe stacking the team this year might not be a great idea, because they might lose a lot of $$$!!

Old
08-15-2004, 02:08 AM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

If Hamrlik signed a $4 million or less deal, I'd trade Ozolinsh with $500,000 aten(NYI only pays $4 million) straight up for him. Ozolinsh is UFA at seasons end, so it may work out for everyone.

Old
08-15-2004, 02:24 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
When did I say a top four guy would be moved this summer?
June 20th at 5:36 pm, Pacific Standard Time....And again on July 8th at 9:06 am, PST.

The mis-statements are far and few between so it's easy to keep track.

Actually, I agree 100% with Kovy274Hart. Let's see what we got in the way of a team this year on Long Island before worrying about next summer, and potential FAs. The summer is designed to ice a team for October-June, not the other way around!

If NYI wishes to move a dman in-season, they will find takers, for sure. Hopefully, the team will do well and be a buyer next March rather than a seller.

Last edited by Trottier: 08-15-2004 at 02:27 AM.
Old
08-15-2004, 06:44 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
If Hamrlik signed a $4 million or less deal, I'd trade Ozolinsh with $500,000 aten(NYI only pays $4 million) straight up for him. Ozolinsh is UFA at seasons end, so it may work out for everyone.

Isles want to sign Hamrlik longterm,like they did Niinimaa,so exchanging Hamrlik for 1 yr of Ozo doesn't really help.

Old
08-15-2004, 09:34 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 266
I think he will be traded for a few reasons--

Like a coach---Hammer has only a few good year in a city and then it is time for him to move

He is looking at UFA and that could mean alot of money and the NYI have three better d-men then him

He needs icetime, but spends three quarters of the season getting warmed up

Old
08-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller

Ozo will never be an Islander.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 08-15-2004 at 02:05 PM.
Old
08-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
June 20th at 5:36 pm, Pacific Standard Time....And again on July 8th at 9:06 am, PST.

The mis-statements are far and few between so it's easy to keep track.

Actually, I agree 100% with Kovy274Hart. Let's see what we got in the way of a team this year on Long Island before worrying about next summer, and potential FAs. The summer is designed to ice a team for October-June, not the other way around!

If NYI wishes to move a dman in-season, they will find takers, for sure. Hopefully, the team will do well and be a buyer next March rather than a seller.

I've said a trade of a top four is POSSIBLE. I personally don't think it is likely, at least in the short term. I'm not saying it definitely won't happen. I just think the Isles are a while away from reaching that point.

Old
08-15-2004, 02:31 PM
KH1

No thanks. Ozo is pretty much like Hammer except even more inconsistent.

Old
08-15-2004, 02:48 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
I think he will be traded for a few reasons--

Like a coach---Hammer has only a few good year in a city and then it is time for him to move

He is looking at UFA and that could mean alot of money and the NYI have three better d-men then him

He needs icetime, but spends three quarters of the season getting warmed up
Isles want Hamrlik to stay and Hamrlik wants to stay.It's a question of reaching agreement on money,not Hamrlik wearing his welcome out.

Old
08-15-2004, 02:49 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I
No thanks. Ozo is pretty much like Hammer except even more inconsistent.

Ozo would be like Hammer, if Hammer was completely incapable of playing defense.

Ozo has always been one of my least favorite players in the league. He is all offense, and even inconsistent in that aspect of his game.

I wouldn't shocked if he winds up back in Europe next season, because he is such a total liability in his own end.

Old
08-15-2004, 04:00 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The Isles are also going to free room in their budget by letting Snow and Chow walk. Those two alone will come close to covering Aucoin and Hamrlik's raises, and most of the other guys they resigned didn't get much in the way of raises.

The Isles payroll should rise again next year, if they sign all four dmen, but it still won't be much more than league average.

Of course, they have no money left to move for other expensive players, but that is another issue....

Final point: I do think all the talk about Hamrlik getting moved is really jumping the gun, and I don't think it will happen. But, I do think it is possible. In other words, I think Kmad's original post was reasonable in its basic question.
The Islanders have $36.5 million locked up in 17 players according to the NHLPA.If they sign Rick DiPietro,Roman Hamrlik and Oleg Kvasha,it will push them over $40 million into the $41-42 million range which is where the potential cap/luxury tax might be set.Many teams will be in that range after they sign some of their free agents.The Avs,Dallas,Devils,Flyers,Red Wings and Toronto are in the $55-65 million range

Old
08-15-2004, 04:39 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
The Islanders have $36.5 million locked up in 17 players according to the NHLPA.If they sign Rick DiPietro,Roman Hamrlik and Oleg Kvasha,it will push them over $40 million into the $41-42 million range which is where the potential cap/luxury tax might be set.Many teams will be in that range after they sign some of their free agents.The Avs,Dallas,Devils,Flyers,Red Wings and Toronto are in the $55-65 million range

I don't think the potential for a salary cap is really the issue here. The Isles have a budget and they probably need to stick to it. From what I can see, signing Hamrlik will probably doable in the short term, but I'm not really sure what the longterm picture is going to be.

Closed Thread