HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How long will Tuukka Rask be a backup?

Old
09-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

vCash: 50
I think he will play 60-70 games over the next 2 years, then maybe 40 or 50 the year after.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 02:42 PM
BadBruins

vCash: 500
It wouldn't surprise me to see Rask start 35+ games. Thomas appeared in 82 total games last year (playoffs included). At his age, I don't know if he can handle back to back years like that. Keeping him fresh and rested for another playoff run is going to be important.

I think over the next few years we'll slowly see their roles reversed.

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 03:11 PM
BostonAJ

How long will Rask be comfortable paying behind Thomas? It's costing him millions. He's been patient and not complained publicly, but I can't imagine that's going to last much longer. He's got his career to think of.

The Bruins will have to decide which direction they're going to go this season.

BostonAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 05:21 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonAJ View Post
How long will Rask be comfortable paying behind Thomas? It's costing him millions. He's been patient and not complained publicly, but I can't imagine that's going to last much longer. He's got his career to think of.

The Bruins will have to decide which direction they're going to go this season.
They kinda may have to since doesn't Khudobin's contract go from 2 way this season to one way next?

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingTelepath View Post
I think if someone's getting traded it'll be Thomas, not Rask. Next offseason perhaps?
This. Just get another good year out of Thomas and trade him when his value is high rather than letting him go for nothing.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 05:26 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabapple View Post
If they traded thomas they could get a huge return.

Just sayin
Yep. Trade high.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Sundance
You Can Never Get To

Tuukka will be a backup for at least one more season/tandem goalie for two. Timmy is old and he's not a workhoarse no.1, so worst case for Rask is 70-80 starts the next two seasons to prove he's still a legit no.1. By 2013, Timmy will have been traded or he'll have retired, and the job is Rask's.

Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 05:48 PM
CpatainCanuck

Boston should trade Thomas this year for a huge return.

Remember the last time Thomas had a great season? He was only "good" the next year while Rask was great.

CpatainCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 05:49 PM
NUhockey
Roy So Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
This. Just get another good year out of Thomas and trade him when his value is high rather than letting him go for nothing.
It makes sense, but there would be an angry mob with torches and pitchforks on Causeway street. We're talking bloodshed here.

NUhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 06:05 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Boston should trade Thomas this year for a huge return.

Remember the last time Thomas had a great season? He was only "good" the next year while Rask was great.
he had a torn labrum in his hip, which actually started towards the end of his first vezina season

anyways, their's no market for Thomas, and he'd only waive his NTC for a few teams anyways. One of them was Philly, so they could have gotten a much better player for less money but Homer does what he does.

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUhockey View Post
It makes sense, but there would be an angry mob with torches and pitchforks on Causeway street. We're talking bloodshed here.
Probably, but eventually they will realize that they made the good move.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 06:09 PM
StrongIslanders90

Reimer will go down and TOR will trade thier 2013 1st round pick for Rask and Boston will get Mackinnon

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 06:10 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

a fair trade would be Thomas for Marty St Louis

both top players in their respective positions, both a similar age

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 06:11 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Let Rask earn the job first?

Seriously, it is stupid to trade a player producing to make way for a young player who in my opinion still has much to prove. Rask could prove to be one of the best starting goaltenders of the next decade and not play to the level Thomas. If I have to choose between winning or developing Tuukka Rask, I am taking the winning all day long.

Thomas just won the Conn Smythe, while hockey is a business forcing out a guy who just led your team to their first Stanley Cup in 39 years, has a NMC and settled in the area is bad for business. Boston had a poor reputation for treatment of players in the past; many players asked for trades and Boston was never a destination for high end free agents. Trying to turn Boston into a destination where players want to play doesn't happen by trading a playoff hero.

finchster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 06:28 PM
spoons
Top Shelf

I say they spilt this year, and Rask takes the majority of games in 2012-2013

spoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

This ain't the NFL. Reputation matters. Thomas will be the starter for at least next year and likely a few years after that.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

The lack of respect Tim Thomas continues to get is mind-boggling. I understand he's "old" for a pro athlete, but who's to say with his fitness level, skill, and determination he can't play at his current level for two or three more seasons? Rask had his chance to seize the number 1 job and failed. He'll have to wait for another.

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 09-06-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Bostonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
The lack of respect Tim Thomas continues to get is mind-boggling. i understand he's "old" for a pro athlete, but who's to say with his fitness level, skill, and determination he can't play at his current level for two or three more seasons? Rask had his chance to seize the number 1 job and failed. he'll have to wait for another.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Guy pretty much won a cup for the Bruins in the Vancouver series.

While I know Rask cares about his financial status I could care less. If he has to back up for another year because his glove hand continues to be slow then tough. The guy who is winning will get the starts. Rask has already admitted that his knee didn't bother him till January/February and by then he was already in a back-up role. He had a sophomore slump, yes. Will he come out of it? Hopefully because the truth is; Thomas is in fact 37 and you do need a fall back plan.

Bostonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Sundance
You Can Never Get To

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
The lack of respect Tim Thomas continues to get is mind-boggling. i understand he's "old" for a pro athlete, but who's to say with his fitness level, skill, and determination he can't play at his current level for two or three more seasons? Rask had his chance to seize the number 1 job and failed. he'll have to wait for another.
Where are people getting that from? He got injured. And Timmy played out of his mind early, Rask had little chance of getting the starting job back last year. That's not a failure, in my eyes.

Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Its not 2009 anymore. The market for goalies has become saturated since then. There's a wealth of goalies in the AHL looking to become starters, its a long list. There wasn't a list like that in 2009, of goalies ready to become starters.

Looking at another thread, you've got Lindback, Campbell, Enroth, Schneider, Bobovsky, Neuvirth, Holtby all knocking on the door looking for starters jobs.

I agree if Detroit or SJ had TT, they'd have likely won the cup but they don't. I don't see either of them trading for him either.

I just don't see the goalie market as getting good returns over the next few years. There is an all time high supply of quality goalies.
And yet Varlamov brought back what in a trade?

You'd be hard pressed to find a more decorated player than Tim Thomas over the last few seasons. He is #1 in the league despite his age, and I don't see any signs of him slowing down. You can pay a king's ransom for a young unproven goalie or you can go with the sure thing.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 09:37 PM
unifiedtheory

Tuukka plays 30ish games this year. Could see him being the #1 2012/13 season, if there is one.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 11:54 PM
oilerfan1989*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIONBOZAK View Post
I think the Bruins will be looking for a legit starting goalie when thomas retires. they have a good young team, but i think its pretty obvious Rask just isnt good enough to carry them like Thomas has
Is this guy serious? I think someone is still upset that they lost rask.. like someone b4 me said, rask lead the league in SP and GAA. So you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Id much rather have rask then reimer or dubnyk.. Rask is in a totally different league then those 2 goalies

oilerfan1989* is offline   Reply With Quote