HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers will wear a Boogaard sticker on helmets

Old
09-15-2011, 02:24 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers will wear a Boogaard sticker on helmets

Darren Dreger reported the Rangers will wear a Derek Boogaard memorial sticker on their helmet.

http://watch.tsn.ca/clip532705#clip532705

I don't like that. Sorry. Boogaard overdosed on oxycodone and booze. Hillbilly heroine. The Rangers had his brother introduce the JT Miller selection and Aaron Boogaard was arrested for allegedly supplying his brother with felony narcotics. That was embarrassing.

Let me have it

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:25 PM
nevesis

It's not how he died, its the fact that he played here, and was well liked. I personally think a short memorial/moment of silence before the home opener is more appropriate. He was only with the team for a few months before getting hurt.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
His cause of death doesn't make it any less tragic.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 550
Calling it an overdose is misleading. He just had one of the rare instances of dying after mixing oxycodone with alcohol. And like Fire Sather said, the cause of death doesn't make it any less tragic.

09-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Darren Dreger reported the Rangers will wear a Derek Boogaard memorial sticker on their helmet.

I don't like that. Sorry. Boogaard overdosed on oxycodone and booze. Hillbilly heroine. The Rangers had his brother introduce the JT Miller selection and Aaron Boogaard was arrested for allegedly supplying his brother with felony narcotics. That was embarrassing.

Let me have it
I doubt any of us here are in a position to judge Boogaard.

The man was in constant pain from having his head smashed on the ice. I'm not justifying what he did, but none of us know the physical and psychological pain that led him to accidentally overdose. It's not something he intended to do.

By all accounts he was a great teammate and genuinely nice human being. He deserves to be remembered for his life, not the tragic events that led to his death. To deny him the honor of being remembered by his teammates because of one mistake would be classless. Thankfully, our organization knows that.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:52 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Not saying I agree with you RB but I do understand where you're coming from. However, from all accounts Boogaard was a great guy and a great teammate so i'm perfectly fine with them respecting him and his family in such a tragic time for them in some way.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:54 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

A tragedy is a tragedy, regardless of the circumstances. He was a teammate, a brother and a son. Unfortunately, he had demons he could not overcome. I am in no position to judge him, as someone who has had my own addiction problems.

It's a nice tribute to a member of our Rangers family.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:55 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Calling it an overdose is misleading. He just had one of the rare instances of dying after mixing oxycodone with alcohol. And like Fire Sather said, the cause of death doesn't make it any less tragic.
A lot more common than one might believe....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Crease

I'm sure the players had some say in how they wanted to commemorate Boogy. I'm fine with whatever they decided; he was their teammate.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:00 PM
OverTheCap

I've had the misfortune of seeing many family members struggle with addiction. It's a horrible affliction that can happen to the best of people. I'm certainly not going to cast judgment upon Boogaard because he fell victim to substance abuse.

It may not be an honorable way to die, but it's a tragedy regardless. A New York Ranger died at the age of 28. It would have been callous and crass for the Rangers not to address his death at all.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Levitate

I'd say there are probably a lot of athletes addicted to pain killers out there...they're not all horrible people who deserve death.

They're out there destroying their bodies for your entertainment (well, and for a bunch of money), so while it's not something I would condone at all, I can certainly understand HOW someone who is in constant pain gets addicted to painkillers and how hard it is to quit that addiction.

Boogaard was a good guy and good teammate, and that's what the Rangers are honoring

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:15 PM
chip chipperson*

the guy wasnt chris benoit. its ok to honor him.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

By all accounts Boogaard was a hell of a person and a great teammate. The circumstances of his death don't make it any less painful for his family, friends and teammates. In fact, I can say from personal experience that it actually makes it even harder to deal with for those who are closest to the person.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Islander102

Quote:

Let me have it
If you get your head smashed in for a living to the point where you are feeling immense pain, dizziness, and inability to function as a normal human being every single day for a period of months, and a certain drug helps take that away temporarily, and you dont fall victim to addiction and dependence on it, then good for you. Boogard didnt quite have that luck. The guy was a good man, who through playing the game we all love suffered a great deal of mental and physical trauma, got hooked on something that made him feel better, OD'd on it and died much too young. This wasnt some crack junkie on a streetcorner. It was a tragedy, and he deserves to be remembered by the last teammates he played with, and the fans the he suffered the head injury that wound up doing him in to represent.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 550
I was hoping they would wear patches because I wanted to add one to my jersey.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 03:58 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Boogaard barely played with the Rangers. He suffered the concussion early in the season. The Rangers sent him home to get some help. The Rangers have already honored Boogaard's memory with a scholarship in his name.

Quote:
To honor former Rangers left wing Derek Boogaard, who died earlier this year, the team will give two scholarships annually for the Rangers Summer Youth Hockey Camp to children from the Defending the Blue Line program, the team announced Wednesday.

The Defending the Blue Line program is a non-profit organization that aims to help children of military men and women play hockey and Boogaard supported in his career. Last season, Boogaard donated four seats at every home game at Madison Square Garden for military families as part of a group he created called "Boogaard's Boogaardians."

This year's winners are two 8-year-old boys from New York City who will attend the camp from July 18-22.
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/hoc...rd-scholarship

Have a moment of silence for him at the first home game. Invite his parents and his sister.

Alexander Karpovtsev deserves to have the Rangers wear a sticker on his helmet more than Boogaard.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 04:02 PM
NYRKindms

Quote:

Let me have it
So if someone has a substance abuse problem in your world it means they shouldn't be honored for the good things they have done in life ?

f-ing A man. That is some shallow shyte right there.

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 04:04 PM
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS

its just a helmet sticker....really shouldn't have any complaints about them wearing it to honor a dead team mate.

ryan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 04:09 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:

Alexander Karpovtsev deserves to have the Rangers wear a sticker on his helmet more than Boogaard.
This is a fair point - cup winning Dman dies in a plane crash and doesn't get honored? But guy plays 5 mins a night of sucky hockey for a month and gets a sticker? Both are sad, but comeon, there's something off here.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 04:12 PM
NYRKindms

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
This is a fair point - cup winning Dman dies in a plane crash and doesn't get honored? But guy plays 5 mins a night of sucky hockey for a month and gets a sticker? Both are sad, but comeon, there's something off here.
none of the current rangers played with the guy.

And can you be sure potsie didn't have a substance abuse issue ? Because the submitter would be upset that they honor him

better check his toxicology results to be sure

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 04:19 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
none of the current rangers played with the guy.

And can you be sure potsie didn't have a substance abuse issue ? Because the submitter would be upset that they honor him

better check his toxicology results to be sure
I am not saying not to honor Boogey because of the substance abuse issue. I've never had that issue, but plenty of people have, and I'm not dismissing how hard it is(addiction is a tragedy in and of itself).

What I am saying is that in comparing their contributions to the team it really is no contest. I'm just talking on the ice here...One is a Stanley Cup winning Dman, a fixture on the team for years, one of the first Russian players ever to have their name on the cup. He wasn't a star player but that has historic meaning. Comparatively speaking, Boogey played how many minutes for the Rangers?

So just as far as on the ice contributions this is a no-brainer.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

im with rangerboy on this one...Boogaard wasn't really a ranger...he was a Wild...he played here for what..liek 20 games?

Lokomotiv should get a patch on every team in the NHL's sweater imho.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Faxius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
im with rangerboy on this one...Boogaard wasn't really a ranger...he was a Wild...he played here for what..liek 20 games?

Lokomotiv should get a patch on every team in the NHL's sweater imho.
I disagree. Boogard was as much a Ranger as the rest of our boys. He played for us, he fought for us, he bled for us.

Faxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

So OP, nobody close to you has ever abused opiates huh?

Well guess what, unless you and all your friends/family are some really strange demographic, it's almost a lock that some of your friends/family get high recreationally.

So if your dad dies from mixing drugs/alcohol, you shouldn't go to his funeral because he's a drug taking ******* right? Think about it from that perspective. Many drug addicts keep it to themself. Just because it's their cause of death doesn't make the person mean any less to the ones close to them.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Let me have it
I completely agree.

Still a tragedy, but for anyone who says a drug overdose isnt any less tragic, sorry but it is. He brought that upon himself to a degree.

The KHL plane crash - thats a little more tragic as far as Im concerned.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote