HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official MLB Thread 4 (Marlins, Reyes close)

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2011, 11:31 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
You can't counter-guarantee me. I'm offended by that sir.
I lol'd

Old
09-26-2011, 01:33 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
He's young. We can teach him to catch.

And if we do trade him for a pitcher it better be one ****ing damn good pitcher because this kid is gonna be a star.

He hasn't improved defensively in the 4 years I've seen him play in minors. I wouldnt expect much. Then again who cares, his bat could be special.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:44 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
I wouldn't trade Montero for an ace at this point.

If Baneoulous and Betances develop then you have CC Nova B's = 4 SP

You really wanna trade Montero for another SP?

The only way I'd trade Montero for a starting pitcher is if that SP is a legit ace and also locked up for at least 3 years minimum. Felix Hernandez fits that bill. Afterall he is the man with an epic arm.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:35 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
He hasn't improved defensively in the 4 years I've seen him play in minors. I wouldnt expect much. Then again who cares, his bat could be special.
This is inaccurate.

Only thing he needs to improve is blocking balls in the dirt.

He'll be a passable catcher much like Posada was.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:43 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

And to the people saying he's being "showcased for a pitcher" need to stop.

First off, prior to the call up, every scout/team knew he would hit in the majors. His bat was never in question.
So they don't need to "showcase" him.

Second, he's not being traded for anything short of Felix, Kershaw, Verlander, Lincecum, Cain, etc...
Those pitchers aren't available.

Third, EVERYONE has seen him now. The genie is out of the bottle.
It will be an uproar if he's traded.

Last but not least, you can't trade him when your cleanup hitter is 37. And your number 3 hitter has swing troubles, the batting coach said he's "lost some bat speed" and is already in his 30's....

Old
09-26-2011, 08:49 AM
DM23BK30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
after cc the rotation is not good. nova looks good, but why do we need a rookie to start game 2? because everyone else sucks. beckett and lester make their rotation better. do not confuse me saying their starting rotation is better and their team is better. after cc we are mediocure at best.

the point being we need another pitcher. trade montero

2nd Half stats:

Lester -- 5-5, 3.79
Beckett -- 5-3, 3.32

CC --- 6-4, 3.44
Nova --- 8-0, 2.94

10-8 versus 14-4 -- that's a 4-game swing. Bottom of the rotation has nothing to do with it.

That's why the Yankees are in 1st place. Their top-2 starters have been better than Bostons top two.

Old
09-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 50
Can't montero play 3B or something?

Old
09-26-2011, 11:20 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
And to the people saying he's being "showcased for a pitcher" need to stop.

First off, prior to the call up, every scout/team knew he would hit in the majors. His bat was never in question.
So they don't need to "showcase" him.

Second, he's not being traded for anything short of Felix, Kershaw, Verlander, Lincecum, Cain, etc...
Those pitchers aren't available.

Third, EVERYONE has seen him now. The genie is out of the bottle.
It will be an uproar if he's traded.

Last but not least, you can't trade him when your cleanup hitter is 37. And your number 3 hitter has swing troubles, the batting coach said he's "lost some bat speed" and is already in his 30's....
the kid came up and so far has played great. you don't think that this could convince another gm to trade a pitcher to get him? he is being showcased. he is going to be traded. you need to realize he has no place on this team. if he could catch that would be different. but he cant and if we can land a big name pitcher for him cashman or whoever the gm will be would do that trade in a heartbeat

Old
09-26-2011, 11:23 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
2nd Half stats:

Lester -- 5-5, 3.79
Beckett -- 5-3, 3.32

CC --- 6-4, 3.44
Nova --- 8-0, 2.94

10-8 versus 14-4 -- that's a 4-game swing. Bottom of the rotation has nothing to do with it.

That's why the Yankees are in 1st place. Their top-2 starters have been better than Bostons top two.
1st off, cc has not been cc at all. how many 10 hit games has he pitched? something like 8 of 10. 2nd, i would be way more confident going into the post season if my top 2 were beckett (one of the best post season pitchers of this era) and lester over cc and the rookie.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:05 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
the kid came up and so far has played great. you don't think that this could convince another gm to trade a pitcher to get him? he is being showcased. he is going to be traded. you need to realize he has no place on this team. if he could catch that would be different. but he cant and if we can land a big name pitcher for him cashman or whoever the gm will be would do that trade in a heartbeat
He is not being traded.

You must want him to be traded.

The Yankees don't trade guys on their roster.
If a prospect comes up and shows that he belongs, he doesn't get traded.

Funny, I heard the same stuff prior to the deadline: "oh just wait to July 31 to see who drops out of it. Then the Yankees can trade for a pitcher"...

Let me ask you, who are they trading him for?

Old
09-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
He is not being traded.

Funny, I heard the same stuff prior to the deadline: "oh just wait to July 31 to see who drops out of it. Then the Yankees can trade for a pitcher"...

Yeah they rarely make a trade for any kind of big name. They do their damage and set their fate in the offseason.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:13 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
He is not being traded.

i do want him traded if it means we can get an ace. which is what the yankees need. you think they are going to bring back colon and garcia?

you need to realize he is not in the yankees plans at catcher and a rod is going to turn into the dh. montero has no spot on this team.

i dont know who i trade him for. 1st thought is felix. i dont know what pitchers are available, but dont you think that more would become available after another gm has seen montero play?

he will at least be shopped. and he should be. we dont need his bat, we need pitching.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:16 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
i do want him traded if it means we can get an ace. which is what the yankees need. you think they are going to bring back colon and garcia?

you need to realize he is not in the yankees plans at catcher and a rod is going to turn into the dh. montero has no spot on this team.

i dont know who i trade him for. 1st thought is felix. i dont know what pitchers are available, but dont you think that more would become available after another gm has seen montero play?

he will at least be shopped. and he should be. we dont need his bat, we need pitching.
When Jeter and ARod significantly start to decline, and they will/have, they will need another bat.

If you expect Granderson to have another MVP-like year you are crazy.

Why trade a VERY good young prospect who can catch and can DH away now? If ARod can't play 3b than his value greatly diminishes.....

They have a very good group of young players on their way up. Why deal them for a "quick-fix" that normally doesn't work?

Old
09-26-2011, 01:21 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
When Jeter and ARod significantly start to decline, and they will/have, they will need another bat.

Why trade a VERY good young prospect who can catch and can DH away now? If ARod can't play 3b than his value greatly diminishes.....

They have a very good group of young players on their way up. Why deal them for a "quick-fix" that normally doesn't work?
jeter is batting .300 and arod is turning into the dh. so dh is out.

montero cant catch... at all at the major league level.

how many bats do you need? cano granderson(mvp year or not) tex, arod, swisher. each of those guys is good for 30 homers. your telling me you wouldnt trade montero (a guy with no position) to get another 20 game winner? rediculous. pitching is everything. if colon and garcia come back the yanks have failed.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:28 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Montero, I love as a prospect. But if he's the centerpiece of a deal for a legitimate top starter, I do that every day. Pitching, pitching, pitching. It's easier to acquire good hitters, especially playing at the Stadium and with the guys they already have in the lineup.

It's just pain.
Old
09-26-2011, 01:31 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Montero, I love as a prospect. But if he's the centerpiece of a deal for a legitimate top starter, I do that every day. Pitching, pitching, pitching. It's easier to acquire good hitters, especially playing at the Stadium and with the guys they already have in the lineup.
if i remember right, montero was included in the potential deal to acquire lee from seattle last year. the deal breaker was a physical with i believe nunez. they offered him last year, and the rotation is worse this year because we dont have pettitte and hughes is garbage this year. no way he isnt at least shopped.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:32 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
jeter is batting .300 and arod is turning into the dh. so dh is out.

montero cant catch... at all at the major league level.

how many bats do you need? cano granderson(mvp year or not) tex, arod, swisher. each of those guys is good for 30 homers. your telling me you wouldnt trade montero (a guy with no position) to get another 20 game winner? rediculous. pitching is everything. if colon and garcia come back the yanks have failed.
No. Because with NYC, that's a whole other animal. When you have a VERY good young player who has proven he can play already in NYC, you hang onto him.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:35 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
No. Because with NYC, that's a whole other animal. When you have a VERY good young player who has proven he can play already in NYC, you hang onto him.
what has he proven? he has proven he can hit a few opposite field shots and thats it. since when does that mean you have proved yourself? you prove yourself in the playoffs. nova still hasnt proved himself and you think montero already has?

Old
09-26-2011, 01:36 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Of course it makes sense to trade him IF you can get an ace back.'

BUT, the point is, aces don't just become available.
They're only available when money or injury is involved.

Don't expect Felix, Kershaw, Verlander, Weaver, Price etc.... to be traded.
Teams aren't trading their young aces.

I say young aces because that's whom you will trade him for. Not some 35 y/o pitcher.

He's not getting traded. So if you're a Yankee fan, kick back and enjoy the ride.
We have a special hitter here.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:38 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Of course it makes sense to trade him IF you can get an ace back.'

BUT, the point is, aces don't just become available.
They're only available when money or injury is involved.

Don't expect Felix, Kershaw, Verlander, Weaver, Price etc.... to be traded.
Teams aren't trading their young aces.

I say young aces because that's whom you will trade him for. Not some 35 y/o pitcher.

He's not getting traded. So if you're a Yankee fan, kick back and enjoy the ride.
We have a special hitter here.
would rather have an ace #2 starter

Old
09-26-2011, 01:38 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:

Great points.

Arod is on the decline and although Jeter is going to hit .300, he's not 25 anymore.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:41 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Great points.

Arod is on the decline and although Jeter is going to hit .300, he's not 25 anymore.
people need to realize that right now pitching is the issue. we can always go out and get a bat.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:46 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
what has he proven? he has proven he can hit a few opposite field shots and thats it. since when does that mean you have proved yourself? you prove yourself in the playoffs. nova still hasnt proved himself and you think montero already has?
Players slump and sometimes they play well. This is a prospect who has been hyped for YEARS. He paid his dues coming up and had great stats all the way through.

He has proven he can definitely play in Majors RIGHT NOW. Do you think that with another off-season he won't get better? He won't get better watching ARod and Jeter and Cano and Granderson? He is 21.

He will improve defensively.

When you find a gem like they did with Montero, you don't just trade him for pitching. Re-sign CC and look to move OTHER players for pitching help.

ARod HAS to play 3B. It's as simple as that. He isn't 38, he needs to play there for a few more seasons. He can't just be a DH.

What you do is have Romine or Martin catch most of the time and when Jeter or Texeira or ARod need a DH day, throw him behind the plate. He can play there.

They dealt with Posada's deficiencies back there for YEARS.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:47 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
people need to realize that right now pitching is the issue. we can always go out and get a bat.
You can always go out and get pitching too.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:53 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Players slump and sometimes they play well. This is a prospect who has been hyped for YEARS. He paid his dues coming up and had great stats all the way through.

He has proven he can definitely play in Majors RIGHT NOW. Do you think that with another off-season he won't get better? He won't get better watching ARod and Jeter and Cano and Granderson? He is 21.

He will improve defensively.

When you find a gem like they did with Montero, you don't just trade him for pitching. Re-sign CC and look to move OTHER players for pitching help.

ARod HAS to play 3B. It's as simple as that. He isn't 38, he needs to play there for a few more seasons. He can't just be a DH.

What you do is have Romine or Martin catch most of the time and when Jeter or Texeira or ARod need a DH day, throw him behind the plate. He can play there.

They dealt with Posada's deficiencies back there for YEARS.
he is not a catcher and not in the yankees plans to be a catcher. if a rod comes back next year and has a ton of injuries lets see how much time he gets at 3rd.

Closed Thread