Notices

Crosby Press Conference Weds?

Old
09-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Cid

vCash: 500
Crosby Press Conference Weds?

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pitts...esday-penguins

"Sep 6, 2011 - Penguins star Sidney Crosby is reportedly holding a press conference at CONSOL Energy Center at 12:30 PM on Wednesday. The PensBlog has a copy of the note that was sent out to the media. Crosby will then apparently head to New York to speak to the national media."

So what does everyone think? He's ready to get back to contact and playing? He's taking the season off? He's retiring? A new 80 billion dollar deal with Reebok or maybe Nike? Sex scandal?

Not a huge Crosby fan myself, but I really hope he can recover and get back to being 100% healthy. He's so huge for this game and sport and truly is the most gifted talent we have seen since the Great one.

Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:27 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

If I had to speculate, I'd say he's going to miss serious time due to his PCS. He'll probably tie that announcement into a statement about improving protection for players and asking the league to mandate new rules about it.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Scotto74
First in line...

As much as I don't like the Pen's I hope he is going to say he will be back this year at 100%. Don't want to see another Savard situation.

Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Shaun
beauty

I think he'll be out until at least January.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

I believe he's going to be in New York as part of an NHL media day sort of thing, so I wouldn't put any extra emphasis on that.

I do hope he's OK.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
If I had to speculate, I'd say he's going to miss serious time due to his PCS. He'll probably tie that announcement into a statement about improving protection for players and asking the league to mandate new rules about it.
I agree and think this would be good.

I know this has been beaten to death already but I still get annoyed with the whole hypocrisy surrounding the head/concussion issue and how it was irrelevant to Sidney when it was his teammate ending Mark Savard's career. But how two far less severe and unintentional hits that put him on the shelf are somehow more important and should be taken out of the game, because it's Crosby.

The kid should have spoken up against, Cooke. Bottom-line. Regardless though, at least he may be speaking up now and hopefully it can help make the game safer for the athletes.

Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:36 AM
patty59

Unless he's ready to come back to start the season he won't be able to say too much. As we all know, concussions don't have timelines. So, IMO, it's to say that he's ready for camp or that he won't be ready to go. My guess is that he's not starting the season.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:38 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post

I know this has been beaten to death already but I still get annoyed with the whole hypocrisy surrounding the head/concussion issue and how it was irrelevant to Sidney when it was his teammate ending Mark Savard's career. But how two far less severe and unintentional hits that put him on the shelf are somehow more important and should be taken out of the game, because it's Crosby.

The kid should have spoken up against, Cooke. Bottom-line. Regardless though, at least he may be speaking up now and hopefully it can help make the game safer for the athletes.
Yup. It certainly does come off that way, and nothing he says will change it. On a different note, it's just human nature, IMO. He didn't speak up until he was directly affected because it didn't really matter to him until it was something he struggled with. No knock on the guy either, as most people are this way about everything.

Old
09-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Mainehockey33

@Darren Dreger
Crosby has been skating regularly. Presser tomorrow will include doctors and Pen GM Ray Shero. Expected to discuss Crosby's camp status.

Mainehockey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid View Post

Yet when Andrew Ference spoke up about Paille's head shot (not condemning Paille, just the play), he was roundly slammed for criticizing a teammate.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Scotto74
First in line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Yet when Andrew Ference spoke up about Paille's head shot (not condemning Paille, just the play), he was roundly slammed for criticizing a teammate.
not by everyone. I for one was 100% behind Ference on that and it actually made me think better of him. But for the most part you are correct.

Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 12:04 PM
TCL40

I predict it is either an announcement that he is ready for camp or not ready. There has been a lot of speculation lately on his health with some varied reports so it is hard to guess which.

My hope is that he is able to come back and play-as much as I do not like the Pens, I would like to see Crosby healthy and playing well.

I do think Crosby is in a position to become an advocate for player safety and the issue of concussions. I hope he uses that position wisely.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
He was slammed by a few, but supported by many many more. Any slamming that was done has more to do with people just looking for any reason to slam Ference in the first place.

Many took a negative stance on Cooke's actions including his own teammates and no one got on them about it, because it's Matt Cooke and it's not an isolated incident. Crosby on the other hand, he just seemed confused as to what was and what wasn't a good hockey hit... he certainly didn't think Cooke's was out of line. That beast of a hit Steckle laid on him though, well that was obviously blatant, malicious and heinous all rolled into one. That was the time when the NHL's poster child had to make his stand.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 12:38 PM
ODAAT

I am looking at this from the "if this were a Bruin" view. How would I feel about a Bruin calling a presser after this???

The only thing I come up with is not very good but I do have a tendency to be a touch of a pessimist.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 01:23 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I am looking at this from the "if this were a Bruin" view. How would I feel about a Bruin calling a presser after this???

The only thing I come up with is not very good but I do have a tendency to be a touch of a pessimist.
I agree [big surprise there huh?]- press conferences called by a player who has had a serious injury are not usually to announce good news.

I will not be surprised to learn that while Crosby is skating he is not nearly ready for any kind of contact.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 01:25 PM
MioneRask134

^same

MioneRask134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 01:28 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Only by people who actually played the game and were in a locker room. Not many here seemed to have a problem with it.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Therick67

Crosby needs to take his time, no need to rush back..

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 02:01 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

I get a feeling he will state that he is still not 100% and will not start the beginning of the season. Sure he is skating but only he knows what is really going on.

I love how Crosby and Savard are out of the game but we get to see great talents like Cooke and Stekel how lucky we are.

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 02:04 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post
I get a feeling he will state that he is still not 100% and will not start the beginning of the season. Sure he is skating but only he knows what is really going on.

I love how Crosby and Savard are out of the game but we get to see great talents like Cooke and Stekel how lucky we are.
Steckel didn't hit Crosby...he collided with him

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 02:11 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Steckel didn't hit Crosby...he collided with him
Exactly. He skated into the dude's shoulder and inflicted the injury on himself. What was Steckel supposed to do? Cooke's hit on Savard and the collision that caused Crosby's injury are so vastly different that it's insane to even compare the two.

Old
09-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Therick67

I don't know how anyone looks at the hit and blames Steckel....

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
The same way people look at the Cooke on Savard hit and say it wasn't intent to injure.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Whats weird is that I dont really like Crosby (most likely out of jealousy) but if he never came back then I would be disappointed. I just feel like such a talented guy cant have his career cut so short, its all to familiar

I think even Crosby haters (not that I am one) would even be sad if he never comes back or has his career significantly shortened

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 06:17 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Seriously, I am not saying it was nearly as bad as Cookes hit on Savard but comon.

It is just sad that in many arena's such as where I live, we only get to see Crosby 1 time every to years and when the best player in hockey is injured, it is to no ones advantage.

The fans don't get to see him, away arena's don't sell out as much as if he were playing, ect.

It just sucks that great players are not playing, while players that have medium skill don't get penalized.

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote