HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks re-sign F Victor Oreskovich to 1 year deal ($605k/$105k)

Old
09-08-2011, 09:42 PM
wholesickcrew

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessVillain View Post
Glass.. a fighter? The word you are looking for is PUNCHING BAG
Glass would generally hold his own, and has a pretty even record according to hockeyfights.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/...htcard/reg2011
http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/...htcard/reg2010

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 12:38 AM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflickter View Post
Anyone see him making the team out of training camp?
I think it's most likely he will. The Canucks won't want to lose him to waivers.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 06:53 AM
orcatown

I see little comparison b/w Glass and Oreskovich. Glass is stronger and obviously the better fighter. Glass may also be the better team guy.

But the real difference lies in skating. Glass cannot skate at an NHL level. That was clear in the playoffs when he couldn't provide any forecheck or any real hitting. He just couldn't get there. In contrast players like Oreskovich (at least early in the playoffs) and Torres had the speed to get in on the defense and force the play. Oreskovich can also carry the puck much better than Glass. Glass slows to a crawl when he has the puck and basically just bounces the puck ahead and chases it.

In the right situation Oreskovich could be a disruptive force and help the 4th line. Last year he was playing with a dog's breakfast of a 4th line during the playoffs and still looked decent much of the time. I don't expect much offense out of Oreskovich but he does increase team speed and provides a better chance of forcing the play and creating turnovers than some of the 4th line options the team had last year.

The Canucks clearly choose Oreskovich over Glass and were IMO entirely right in doing so.

I think there are few ways of validly comparing Archibald and Oreskovich at the moment.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 07:29 AM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
I see little comparison b/w Glass and Oreskovich. Glass is stronger and obviously the better fighter. Glass may also be the better team guy.

But the real difference lies in skating. Glass cannot skate at an NHL level. That was clear in the playoffs when he couldn't provide any forecheck or any real hitting. He just couldn't get there. In contrast players like Oreskovich (at least early in the playoffs) and Torres had the speed to get in on the defense and force the play. Oreskovich can also carry the puck much better than Glass. Glass slows to a crawl when he has the puck and basically just bounces the puck ahead and chases it.

In the right situation Oreskovich could be a disruptive force and help the 4th line. Last year he was playing with a dog's breakfast of a 4th line during the playoffs and still looked decent much of the time. I don't expect much offense out of Oreskovich but he does increase team speed and provides a better chance of forcing the play and creating turnovers than some of the 4th line options the team had last year.

The Canucks clearly choose Oreskovich over Glass and were IMO entirely right in doing so.

I think there are few ways of validly comparing Archibald and Oreskovich at the moment.
Don't forget that Glass couldn't make a pass to save his life. He is given credit by some for his defensive play, but I'm not sure why. Glass on the PK was terrible. He would leave his point wide open consistently, and couldn't read the play effectively to do anything to prevent it. I can't think of one play where Glass managed to even block a shot on the PK.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

With his size and speed, forechecking is where Oreskovich can add value to the team this year. However, between him and Lappy I don't see a lot of "defending teammates" on the 4th line. Every team in the league saw what happened in the SCF...

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
With his size and speed, forechecking is where Oreskovich can add value to the team this year. However, between him and Lappy I don't see a lot of "defending teammates" on the 4th line. Every team in the league saw what happened in the SCF...
Lapierre was more than solid in the playoffs on the third line. He was only on the ice for 5 goals against while playing above average competition. That line was arguably the most consistent of the playoffs.

Last edited by Ernie: 09-09-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old
09-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Lapierre was more than solid in the playoffs on the third line. He was only on the ice for 5 goals against while playing above average competition. That line was arguably the most consistent of the playoffs.
No argument from me on that point.

Just wondering where the pushback is going to come from.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
No argument from me on that point.

Just wondering where the pushback is going to come from.
oh, I thought you meant players who can play defense..

"Pushback" is overrated, imo. Having a good powerplay is not.