HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL/Quebec City discussion (all QC non-arena talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2011, 11:59 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey View Post
What about Kansas City? They built an arena not so long ago, they're located in an area that has few NHL teams and would ease the travel of many western teams.
Untapped hockey market in a recovering economy, not the best of ideas.

Old
09-27-2011, 01:31 PM
dronald

vCash: 500
Quote:
What about Kansas City? They built an arena not so long ago, they're located in an area that has few NHL teams and would ease the travel of many western teams.
QC has more fans.

Old
09-27-2011, 02:03 PM
GordonGraham

Quote:
Ill be the first to admit i didnt follow kc's plan but do they have someone who came out publicly as a potential owner and i mean someone with real deep pockets not some clown who just wants to see his name in the paper?

Old
09-28-2011, 03:00 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
KC is the "anti-Glendale" http://www.pitch.com/plog/archives/2...-nhl-franchise They will not beg and plead for a team. It's strictly numbers, and the bottom line may be better WITHOUT 45 NHL dates (replace them with 20 or 25 concerts/wrestling/tractor-pulls/MMA/etc). Remember Atlanta?

Old
09-28-2011, 03:29 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Reverse Psychology. Mayor "Sly" is a practiced artist at it. Called the "Take-Away". As in "We dont want it it here unless its a winner". Reverse Onus. Toothpick Wisdom. Kansas City, God Luv ya, is Hicksville. Charlie Paker n' all. But c'mon here!. Its ******* well Kansas. Great place if you like quiet... and cornpone.

Old
09-28-2011, 03:39 AM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Kansas City is not a hockey market. It would be another one of those markets where you'd have to build up the fan base mainly from scratch. As an example, while certainly not the only measure, the entire city has only 6 entries for hockey rinks at arenamaps.com and 2 of those are the Sprint and Kemper Arenas (the new and old major arenas for the city). A small town in Saskatchewan has more hockey rinks than Kansas City.

Last edited by MAROONSRoad: 09-28-2011 at 03:54 AM.
Old
09-28-2011, 03:49 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROONSRoad View Post
Kansas City is not a hockey market. It would be another one of those markets where you'd have to build up the fan base mainly from scratch. As an example, while certainly not the only measure, the entire city has only 6 entries for hockey rinks at arenamaps.com and 2 of those are the Sprint and Kepler Arenas (the new and old major arenas for the city). A small town in Saskatchewan has more hockey rinks than Kansas City.
Saskatoon would be more viable than KC & Mayor "Sly" knows it. Classic Missouri Grifter. Built a ******* Arena in the middle of nowhere before his time, makin' the best of Lady Antebellum & Jason McCoy Concerts.

Old
09-28-2011, 10:02 AM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
I support an NHL team in Saskatoon

Old
09-28-2011, 10:59 AM
dronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
You guys need an arena first, bright green jerseys and an insane fanbase that the whole country loves.

Old
09-28-2011, 02:56 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Would be nice, but not big enough I'm afraid. One third the population of Winnipeg, one third as many high income households and less than one third as many corporate head offices.

Plus there is the arena issue. Sure, it may be the size of MTS Center, but with no club seats and half the suites as Winnipeg's arena - not to mention being 25 years old - the building simply isn't up to standards.

Old
09-28-2011, 11:54 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I utterly loathe the idea of my Coyotes relocating to any town other than QC.

Old
11-08-2011, 01:56 PM
dronald

The NHL has launched a www.LNH.com website.

Anyone got a tin foil hat?

Last edited by dronald: 11-08-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old
11-08-2011, 02:12 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Back when Winnipeg was trying to get a team, there were a few "TNSE's efforts to bring an NHL team to Winnipeg" (or something like that) threads in which posters could discuss all things related to Winnipeg (TNSE's efforts, arena specifics, potential or rumored team names, Downtown Winnipeg, the SHED, David Thomson, etc).

Since this thread is supposed to be about the new arena only, perhaps we could start a "Quebecor's efforts to bring an NHL team to Quebec City" type thread to discuss all things Quebec-related instead?

Last edited by WJG: 11-08-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old
11-08-2011, 03:42 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by dronald View Post
The NHL has launched a www.LNH.com website.

Anyone got a tin foil hat?
I wouldn't read too much into this, as there are many other languages on the top of the page now too

Though its about time!

Old
11-16-2011, 08:18 AM
goalie311

Bringing this into a proper thread, as I didn't want to hi-jack the Phoenix thread.

What I posted:
Quote:
I'm still not so convinced QC gets a team so soon - not doubting the market at all, but more the NHLPA's resistance - remember when players such at Lindros and Millen balked at going there? And they were the vocal ones - it wasn't a secret players weren't so crazy being there - not so Anglophone friendly.
And reply:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs05 View Post
A year ago a survey has been done with the NHL players and they choose Qc city as the most deserving city for a NHL franchise so I don't think there will be too much resistance with the NHLPA if Quebec get that franchise.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...hl-to-move-to/

Quebec city and MTL are both in the same francophone province (same laws) and players have no problems playing with MTL so I don't see why there will be a problems with Qc city (a major touristic spot = a lot of service available in english as well). Of course there are some exceptions (Lindros) but they got good players by trading him.
Good article - but I think it backs up my point more than yours - it specifically states at the bottom about embracing the 'culture'.
That article also states 'winning' cures all - with parity these days, winning is no guarantee - sure, the hype at first would be insane, but once that dies down and the team is not winning, then what? Out come the vultures.

I understand the players may like playing in QC, but I'm still not convinced a player would want to play 'home' there. Remember some of the articles coming out when Winnipeg got their team back, about players refusing to go there?
Also, players are much more ego-driven these days - they have a say on where they will play or be traded to. Or limited movement contracts.

I think the NHL will wait to see how Winnipeg does over a few years, before making such a decision to return to Quebec.

Old
11-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Jag68Sid87

The Nordiques built a few pretty good teams back in the day, and they had the same obstacles. Sure, we may see a few players here and there who will NOT want to play there, but it can happen anywhere for very different reasons. Dany Heatley wanted out of Ottawa and didn't want to play in Edmonton. Kyle Turris wants out of Phoenix. Quebec will deal with whomever doesn't want to be a part of that team, that's all.

Look for the 'new' Nordiques to have a team with a heavy dose of QMJHL products, as well as a lot of Euros. As long as they have the right leadership in place, this won't become much of an issue, imo.

Everybody wanted to play for the Nordiques when Peter Stastny was captain. OK maybe not John Ogrodnick. Big deal. That happens. I'm sure if Patrick Roy is coaching them (or maybe the GM?), they won't have too many issues with regards to attracting players to play for him.

Old
11-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
The Nordiques built a few pretty good teams back in the day, and they had the same obstacles. Sure, we may see a few players here and there who will NOT want to play there, but it can happen anywhere for very different reasons. Dany Heatley wanted out of Ottawa and didn't want to play in Edmonton. Kyle Turris wants out of Phoenix. Quebec will deal with whomever doesn't want to be a part of that team, that's all.

Look for the 'new' Nordiques to have a team with a heavy dose of QMJHL products, as well as a lot of Euros. As long as they have the right leadership in place, this won't become much of an issue, imo.

Everybody wanted to play for the Nordiques when Peter Stastny was captain. OK maybe not John Ogrodnick. Big deal. That happens. I'm sure if Patrick Roy is coaching them (or maybe the GM?), they won't have too many issues with regards to attracting players to play for him.
Meh, we came out ahead the last time a cry-baby didn't want to play here.

Old
11-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
I couldn't come up with a more creative title than this. Plus it's too wordy for a minimalist like myself.

Anyway...this is the thread for all Quebec City discussion not related to their new arena.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:01 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Hello

Politely asking: Isnt a bit ackward to create this topic as almost nobody from Quebec visit your site?

I have nothing against but who will give credible info from Qc?

Last edited by QcBlizzard: 11-16-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old
11-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandsealsfan View Post
Hello

Politely asking: Isnt a bit ackward to create this topic as almost nobody from Quebec visit your site?

There has been good contribution from all around North America (including Quebec City) on this topic.

Most credible info (ie. from reputable media sources) will be available in both French and English. If it's only available in French, there seems to be no shortage of posters who can provide excellent translations.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Habs05

Quote:
Hello

I'm pretty sure more than enough peoples from Québec city and/or province visit the site (myself included) despite this being an english site . As for the credible infos, I saw many french articles posted so far added with google translator and explanations for our friends who don't speak french. So you won't miss these major news .

Last edited by Habs05: 11-16-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old
11-16-2011, 11:24 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I utterly loathe the idea of my Phoenix Coyotes relocating to any town other than QC.
Including Glendale?

Old
11-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Hello

Yeah right, I dont exist, and neither do the people on the Montreal Canadiens board.

And no credible info ever comes from the evil Canadian and Québecois media anyway!

Better lock this thread right now!

And you'll see, when there is a new team in Quebec, you'll see a large amount of very active posters from the Montreal board,and from Maine, and who live in the Maritimes populate a new Quebec Nordiques board.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:54 AM
barneyg

Quote:
Hello

Take a look around this board. Plenty of Quebec City natives hang around here. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if every single one of Renaud Lavoie's tweets was translated and reported here as well.

Old
11-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Matrix78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I couldn't come up with a more creative title than this. Plus it's too wordy for a minimalist like myself.

Anyway...this is the thread for all Quebec City discussion not related to their new arena.
thank you for this thread

Closed Thread