HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL/Quebec City discussion (all QC non-arena talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Undertakerqc

vCash: 500
I wonder if the Nords will have the guts or will be permitted to put games on saturday nights and televise them on the TVA mainnetwork . The rating results will surprise a lot of people as TVA is free to get in every home.

Old
01-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Coramoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
To clarify the TV rights in Canada,

both CBC and TSN are english National rights holders. CBC has priority over TSN in the choice of games.

RDS holds the french national rights. it's also the Habs' french RSN. TVA/TVA Sports is the RSN for Ottawa. It will probably the RSN for the Nords until the National contract is up fro renegotiation. Then either RDS and TVA will enter a bidding war or they will cooperate on the national contract.
So Quebec City will get their territory, and then they'll probably split off, TVA does QC and RDS does montreal(I don't see an absurd bidding war between two massive companies really being something that happens here). Overlapping so people can watch what they want, seems easy enough really. I don't see why either Montreal or Quebec city would mind that arrangement, the only place is gets awkward is montreal vs quebec city games, they could both show it but that would be weird. I'd be intrigued if anyone does end up buying the english rights to nords games though

Old
01-13-2012, 04:41 PM
northeastern

is there any real info hinting at a move? I feel post arena news I haven't been able to find any actual links or anything.

I for one am hoping they come back. way to many teams in places that can't support them. and quebec is a cool city.

Old
01-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Coramoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
is there any real info hinting at a move? I feel post arena news I haven't been able to find any actual links or anything.

I for one am hoping they come back. way to many teams in places that can't support them. and quebec is a cool city.
quebecor shutting up and the arena going forward are good indications of quebec city being the primary for a phoenix move

Old
01-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coramoor View Post
So Quebec City will get their territory, and then they'll probably split off, TVA does QC and RDS does montreal(I don't see an absurd bidding war between two massive companies really being something that happens here). Overlapping so people can watch what they want, seems easy enough really. I don't see why either Montreal or Quebec city would mind that arrangement, the only place is gets awkward is montreal vs quebec city games, they could both show it but that would be weird. I'd be intrigued if anyone does end up buying the english rights to nords games though
Before the Nords move, both teams were showed all province wide, i think this will still be true as the Habs will want their games to be showed in Nordiques territory and vice versa

Old
01-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastern View Post

Phoenix will be moving at season's end, well unless there is a ''Knight in shining armor'' owner that shows up which is less likely by the day. Quebec City is the favorite to get the team but Seattle as showned interest.

Old
01-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Phoenix will be moving at season's end, well unless there is a ''Knight in shining armor'' owner that shows up which is less likely by the day. Quebec City is the favorite to get the team but Seattle as showned interest.
There is talk about building a new arena in Seattle, led by the WHA's Seattle Thunderbirds owners. Nothing solid yet.

Old
01-13-2012, 06:04 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
There is talk about building a new arena in Seattle, led by the WHA's Seattle Thunderbirds owners. Nothing solid yet.
If there's talk about building a new arena in Seattle, it would have to be from potential NBA owners if anyone. The Seattle Thunderbirds already have their new, hockey friendly arena in Kent, Washington.

Opened in 2009, it seats 6 500 people for hockey and is perfect for junior hockey.

Before they routinely played in Key Arena... which, as I've mentioned before, is absolutely horrible for hockey...

No suitable arena in Seattle(temporary or permanent), no potential owners... Quebec City has both, and has a proven hockey market to boot.

Seattle ain't getting a team until they have a new arena... and they won't build a new arena for the NHL... the desperately want their Sonics back.

Old
01-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Undertakerqc

I hope they get their Basketball back... I feel their pain

Old
01-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
So will the Nords move be as popular as the Jets when they came back this summer?

I ask because you seem knowledgeable about the size of the fan bases in Quebec in regards to the Habs and Nords.

Old
01-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Undertakerqc

In the province of Quebec it will be very popular, the frenzy will be as big as it was in Winnipeg. Habs and Nords fan can agree on this. The return of the Nords will be great for the Hockey life in the province. And a little competition for the Habs will be real good for them. It makes you want to get better.

I lived thrue the hottest days of the Habs-Nordiques rivalry and it was completely insane. Family reunion were spiced with the argumentation on which team was better and such.

Also i think the return of the Nords will give a great shot in the arm for minor hockey.

Man i hope we get our team back!!! I implore you Gary....

Old
01-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
In the province of Quebec it will be very popular, the frenzy will be as big as it was in Winnipeg. Habs and Nords fan can agree on this. The return of the Nords will be great for the Hockey life in the province. And a little competition for the Habs will be real good for them. It makes you want to get better.

I lived thrue the hottest days of the Habs-Nordiques rivalry and it was completely insane. Family reunion were spiced with the argumentation on which team was better and such.

Also i think the return of the Nords will give a great shot in the arm for minor hockey.

Man i hope we get our team back!!! I implore you Gary....
Well hockey Quebec has been awful for 20 years.

Old
01-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Well hockey Quebec has been awful for 20 years.
Yes it as been

Old
01-13-2012, 09:06 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
I was wondering what the Captain "A" and "C"s would look like and had the idea of basing them of the logo (like the Flames "A")

This is what I came up with (I put these together fast so they are sloppy, but the basic idea is visible)

I kinda think the "A" is too complex, but the "C" could work

Old
01-13-2012, 09:08 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
So will the Nords move be as popular as the Jets when they came back this summer?

I ask because you seem knowledgeable about the size of the fan bases in Quebec in regards to the Habs and Nords.
I can only speak for me personally, but I guarantee you that I will cry like a *** baby the day they announce the Nords are coming back. I haven't shed a tear in 5 years (a tough break-up) and I lost family members and close relatives. I'm not a crying person. But it would mean so much to me to see the Nords back that I would shed tears of joy.

I'm sure the NOrds mean as much to many many people.

Old
01-13-2012, 09:21 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coramoor View Post
It'll definitely be the coyotes, there is no other way around it at this point, no one is going to buy that team. Seattle isn't even close to ready yet. Kansas has no owner.
Yup. That, in a nutshell, is what I've been saying as of late, too. I'd like to see both Seattle and Kansas (and Houston) city get a crack at an NHL team, but neither are anywhere near as ready as Quebec City right now.

Though I would also add that the Isles, despite their problems, likely aren't leaving the NYC area any time soon. If you thought that the NHL went overboard trying to keep the Yotes in the desert without any local buyers on the horizon, you'd better believe that the league would work their tail off trying to keep the Isles on Long Island, especially (if memory serves) there have been rumors that there are multiple interested buyers that want the Islanders and would keep them in the area if Wang ever decided to sell.

So I'd say that the Isles are actually a false hope for any market interested in trying to pick up a relocation franchise. My money would actually be on the BJs in a decade or so if their arena financing deal doesn't go through.

Old
01-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
I can only speak for me personally, but I guarantee you that I will cry like a *** baby the day they announce the Nords are coming back. I haven't shed a tear in 5 years (a tough break-up) and I lost family members and close relatives. I'm not a crying person. But it would mean so much to me to see the Nords back that I would shed tears of joy.

I'm sure the NOrds mean as much to many many people.
Same for me, the day they announce the team is back, i call in sick to work and i go down to Quebec City to celebrate

Old
01-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Undertakerqc

...and i will cry of joy surely....

Old
01-13-2012, 09:35 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Yup. That, in a nutshell, is what I've been saying as of late, too. I'd like to see both Seattle and Kansas (and Houston) city get a crack at an NHL team, but neither are anywhere near as ready as Quebec City right now.

Though I would also add that the Isles, despite their problems, likely aren't leaving the NYC area any time soon. If you thought that the NHL went overboard trying to keep the Yotes in the desert without any local buyers on the horizon, you'd better believe that the league would work their tail off trying to keep the Isles on Long Island, especially (if memory serves) there have been rumors that there are multiple interested buyers that want the Islanders and would keep them in the area if Wang ever decided to sell.

So I'd say that the Isles are actually a false hope for any market interested in trying to pick up a relocation franchise. My money would actually be on the BJs in a decade or so if their arena financing deal doesn't go through.
I wouldn't have a problem with the NHL tying to keep them on the Island because they are a historic franchise that has been in the league for 40 years, Phoenix on the other hand was basically just there for a decade and a half. (don't mean to offend any Coyotes fans)

Old
01-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with the NHL tying to keep them on the Island because they are a historic franchise that has been in the league for 40 years, Phoenix on the other hand was basically just there for a decade and a half. (don't mean to offend any Coyotes fans)
i am sure there are great fans in Phoenix, unfortunatly not enought. Same as there was not enought Expos fans in Montreal.

Old
01-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post

Shogun 3 teams is too much for NYC. Do the isles even have another buyer around. Wang wont do this forever.

Old
01-13-2012, 09:56 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Shogun 3 teams is too much for NYC. Do the isles even have another buyer around. Wang wont do this forever.
NYC has 8 million people in the city, 18 in the metro. Long island has 7 (some overlap of course) and New Jersey has 8

Old
01-13-2012, 10:13 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

This is post 998 so I started a new thread

Closed Thread