HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Ville de Québec: NHL to QC non-arena talk - Part I

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2011, 02:24 PM
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Sure, we may see a few players here and there who will NOT want to play there, but it can happen anywhere for very different reasons. Dany Heatley wanted out of Ottawa and didn't want to play in Edmonton. Kyle Turris wants out of Phoenix. Quebec will deal with whomever doesn't want to be a part of that team, that's all.
I always figured Ryan Smith ended the whole "nobody wants to play in a freezing cold market" argument that rose with the retun of Winnipeg by wanting to return to Edmonton from LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandsealsfan View Post
Hello

Politely asking: Isnt a bit ackward to create this topic as almost nobody from Quebec visit your site?

I have nothing against but who will give credible info from Qc?

Alot of Quebec City/Nordique fans come to the boards and they deserve more than just the History of Hockey board

Old
11-16-2011, 02:32 PM
saskganesh

Lots of Nords fans here. We're covered.

This board, however, is not that great for current news about the Oakland Seals.

Old
11-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
And you'll see, when there is a new team in Quebec, you'll see a large amount of very active posters from the Montreal board,and from Maine, and who live in the Maritimes populate a new Quebec Nordiques board.
I'm originally from Maine and I can't wait!

Thanks to the mods for creating this thread.

Old
11-16-2011, 06:28 PM
GordonGraham

Its true that the nords might have problems getting older american /canadians guys with families but it was always very easy to attract europeans players here

Old
11-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Shawa666

Oh, don't worry, we're not thousands, but we're here. There's at least half a dozen vocal posters from la vielle capitale in this board.

Quote:
Its true that the nords might have problems getting older american /canadians guys with families but it was always very easy to attract europeans players here
I'd say that this town's love story with the Stastnys helped a lot with that.

Old
11-16-2011, 06:59 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
the only problem I'm seeing is more French-Canadians gravitating in huge # to Les Remparts than Les Nordiques, Junior hockey has thrived in Quebec more so than pro hockey even if the Canadiens hadn't soured tht market.

Old
11-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Shawa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
the only problem I'm seeing is more French-Canadians gravitating in huge # to Les Remparts than Les Nordiques, Junior hockey has thrived in Quebec more so than pro hockey even if the Canadiens hadn't soured tht market.
That's not a problem. The Remparts are getting this kind of numbers because there's not NHL in town right now. Once the Nords come back attendences will probably fall back to about 7 000. Still good for a Q team.

Old
11-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
I'd say that this town's love story with the Stastnys helped a lot with that.
And the Stastny's love story with Quebec City. It worked both ways. Especially Marian, who still lives in QC.

I have no doubts the new Quebec franchise will attract many, many European players.

Old
11-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Et le But

Don't forget the world is very different than it was when the Nordiques existed. There was no internet back then, so for Americans and Canadians who only spoke English living in Quebec could have been a little alienating, today it's much easier to communicate and follow media in the language of your choice.

And for the team itself it means more marketing opportunities to reach out to an Anglo and global fanbase. Plus an ownership like Quebecor would definitely use its media and connections to market the team in the Maritimes.

Old
11-17-2011, 07:07 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Thanks all for your comments on my question.

I am glad to see news brought by Qc fans should be treated with all due serious.

Glad to read you all. Have a good day.

Old
11-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Matrix78

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/...hannon_on_nhl/

Quote:
On the topic of moving, the suitor would have to be a growing city with an antiquated building, strong economy, close proximity to rivals, and willing owners. While most would yell out Quebec City, I am told that Seattle is at the top of the list for relocation.

Key Arena, in the shadow of the Space Needle, was built in the early 1960s for the Seattle World's Fair, and has always had a leaking roof and no private boxes. That's why the NBA's Sonics left for Oklahoma City a few years back, leaving a hole in the sports fan's calendar for the winter months. I am told there are at least two groups capable and interested in moving a team to the Pacific Northwest, but (like Quebec City) the issue of a new building will handicap their chances.

Seattle is a top 25 media market, only 125 miles from Vancouver and has a rich tradition in minor pro and junior hockey. During my time with the league, I often lobbied for us to look at Seattle and still believe in its viability. And before all of Canada rips me, I think the NHL would be better suited going to Seattle, rather than Quebec City. That said, if two teams move, Quebec City would be there.
Do you think Seattle could be at the top of the list ?
Who are the willing owners ?? Don Levin ?
No private boxes in the Key Arena ??
No approved plans yet for the new building ?
and no time-lapse for the construction... !?

A relocation to Seattle right now can't be serious...
Seattle will be an option soon, but I can't believe they are in front of Quebec !!

What do you think ?

Old
11-17-2011, 08:16 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Before long, KC and Seattle will have expansion teams to make 32 teams and balance east west, allowing Det to move east.

For now, next turn is Quebec city.

Last edited by QcBlizzard: 11-17-2011 at 08:17 AM. Reason: error
Old
11-17-2011, 09:08 AM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
I know what you're trying to say, CHRDANHUTCH, but I regularly go to QMJHL games and believe me, if the Nordiques were back in town, I'd be more than happy with just the Remparts' box scores and I'd spend (more) money on Nordiques tickets. As HFboards' most loyal AHL follower I'm sure you know that minor league attendance is the result of marketing and ownership strategy as much as of the on-ice product. This is the case with the Remparts.

Old
11-17-2011, 10:05 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Seattle right now sounds a lot like Las Vegas did a few years ago.

Moving there sounds good in theory, but is there a potential owner or building? Seattle seems to have one and Kansas City seems to have the other.

On the other hand, Quebec City will have both once construction begins on the new arena.

Old
11-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Melrose Munch

Re: Freezing Market.

When players say that, they are talking about out west. QC won't have those problems those cities had.

Old
11-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
And you'll see, when there is a new team in Quebec, you'll see a large amount of very active posters from the Montreal board,and from Maine, and who live in the Maritimes populate a new Quebec Nordiques board.
AHHHHH I would love it! Eastern Canada is my favorite! Seriously though 3 games in Quebec City a year is enough to keep me interested.

My only concern is that Patrice leaves to play for them. We love him here in Boston but I know he was a Nordique growing up.

Old
11-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog4ndy View Post
AHHHHH I would love it! Eastern Canada is my favorite! Seriously though 3 games in Quebec City a year is enough to keep me interested.

My only concern is that Patrice leaves to play for them. We love him here in Boston but I know he was a Nordique growing up.
I could see Paul Stastny centering the No. 1 line for the 'new' Nordiques before Patrice Bergeron.

And Seattle MAY be a good location, but Quebec City is numero uno right now. It's a no-brainer that they top the list.

Course, a second team in Toronto would also work.

Old
11-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I could see Paul Stastny centering the No. 1 line for the 'new' Nordiques before Patrice Bergeron.

And Seattle MAY be a good location, but Quebec City is numero uno right now. It's a no-brainer that they top the list.

Course, a second team in Toronto would also work.
Agreed. Stastny would go first if anything. Perfect fit too considering he would be easier to move.

Quebec City is the first choice. Too much of hockey town with a large enough population to warrant a team. Hamiliton's also a good choice but I worry about Buffalo being negatively impacted if that were to happen. And if Seattle had the means (a qualified buyer, a suitable arena) it would be a great choice. Immediate rivalry started to with Vancouver.

Old
11-17-2011, 02:20 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Yeah right, I dont exist, and neither do the people on the Montreal Canadiens board.

And no credible info ever comes from the evil Canadian and Québecois media anyway!

Better lock this thread right now!

And you'll see, there is a new team in Quebec, you'll see a large amount of very active posters from the Montreal board,and from Maine, and who live in the Maritimes populate a new Quebec Nordiques board.
<------ Including this guy. I'll probably have to come up with a new username such as: "JordanStaalAlsoLikesQc" or something along this line, haha.

Old
11-17-2011, 02:25 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Don't forget the world is very different than it was when the Nordiques existed. There was no internet back then, so for Americans and Canadians who only spoke English living in Quebec could have been a little alienating, today it's much easier to communicate and follow media in the language of your choice.

And for the team itself it means more marketing opportunities to reach out to an Anglo and global fanbase. Plus an ownership like Quebecor would definitely use its media and connections to market the team in the Maritimes.
And Quebec City isn't the same place it used to be. Back in 1995, it was strictly a government town, today, QC has a fast-growing economy and is much more open to the World. Most people have a basic knowledge of English so the players won't have any problem going to dinner or buying stuff. QC has a great cultural life too.

Old
11-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Stanley Cup
Bettman's ice bucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
<------ Including this guy. I'll probably have to come up with a new username such as: "JordanStaalAlsoLikesQc" or something along this line, haha.
I'll have to find a new username aswell

Seriously I'm not worried with players refusing to come here, it wouldn't be the first time and the city has developped its tourism a lot in the last decade or so, which is gonna help with the communications.

Old
11-17-2011, 04:15 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quebec City is a lot more dynamic and international than it used to be. They'll probably have to rely on a lot of draft picks and only the occasional free agent signing, but that's more a reflection of the size of the market than it being a French-speaking city.

Once players go there they will figure out it's fine. Look at Montreal. Montreal is enough of a French-speaking city that there's probably a cultural shock for many players and the Habs seem to sign quite a few Americans. Obviously Montreal is a bigger city and all, but Americans seem to enjoy playing there.

Old
11-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Bob1321

http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/infos/reg...medium=twitter

Call Bettman, they broke the ground

Old
11-17-2011, 05:56 PM
GordonGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1321 View Post
http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/infos/reg...medium=twitter

Call Bettman, they broke the ground
This made me

Old
11-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Karnov

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for Quebec having a franchise back because I as casual fan think that Canadian teams are good for the league as whole and I just liked the old Nordiques - good atmosphere in games, likable players, great old arena. But I don't get this argument about Europeans wanting to go Quebec more than average English speaking Canadian guy. Pretty much all Finnish & Swedish prospects and nowadays most of eastern European as well speak at least some English but very few know any French. And France doesn't have too deep prospect pool. So in that aspect Quebec should rely on the same things in luring players to play there - good organisation, good money, good fan base, good chances to win.

Closed Thread