HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 Griffins (AHL) Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-08-2011, 07:44 PM
  #76
Filppula
Jurks
 
Filppula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,796
vCash: 500
WILLIE!!!! This guy will have a Mursak like 2nd season explosion, just you watch.

Great shot, and a great pass by Gustav!!! Griffins on the board!

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 10:02 AM
  #77
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,203
vCash: 500
Callahan with his first fight of the season, Ferraro, Nyquist and Tatar all got on the board

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:02 AM
  #78
GT500x
Im OK where we're at
 
GT500x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: My comfort zone
Country: United States
Posts: 2,663
vCash: 500
I've been having trouble finding the griffins games since the site moved. I really want to see them.

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 06:52 PM
  #79
Filppula
Jurks
 
Filppula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,796
vCash: 500
1st intermission of tonight's game against Toronto.

Griffins up 2-1. Goals to Coetzee and Nyquist.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 07:22 PM
  #80
ARCTICCAT24
Registered User
 
ARCTICCAT24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,094
vCash: 500
Callahan with another fight tonight. Wow, this kid is a beast! He's going to be a fan favorite in Detroit. Love the kids style and willingness to drop the gloves on a regular basis.

ARCTICCAT24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 07:36 PM
  #81
Run the Jewels
Registered User
 
Run the Jewels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 10,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
1st intermission of tonight's game against Toronto.

Griffins up 2-1. Goals to Coetzee and Nyquist.
I can't wait until the Goose is sporting the Winged Wheel for realz.

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 07:45 PM
  #82
Filppula
Jurks
 
Filppula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,796
vCash: 500
I'll post a detailed recap after the game.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 08:34 PM
  #83
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,203
vCash: 500
Nyquist is going to be a force, couldve had like 5 goals tonight. Made a sick dangle and set a guy up but the pass was so slick the other guy didnt expect it and missed the wide open net.

Hes a gun for sure

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:04 PM
  #84
Run the Jewels
Registered User
 
Run the Jewels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 10,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Nyquist is going to be a force, couldve had like 5 goals tonight. Made a sick dangle and set a guy up but the pass was so slick the other guy didnt expect it and missed the wide open net.

Hes a gun for sure
Can't wait until he's playing where he really belongs.

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:13 PM
  #85
Filppula
Jurks
 
Filppula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,796
vCash: 500
My take on our prospects...

Coetzee: He’s got great speed, he’s got super hands and had one amazing dangle to keep the puck in on the PP, but the one thing that will hold him back is his size. He’s listed at 5’10 but I think even that might be generous. He scored again tonight and has 2 goals in 2 games and I think he’ll be a 20 goal scorer this season. If he was a little taller I definitely think he’d be a legit NHL prospect, but perhaps the lack of size might cost him.

Nyquist: As newfy said, he was dominant out there, and I have no idea how they left him out of the three stars because he was the Griffins best player. He scored a garbage type goal in front of the net, and he assisted on Janik’s GWG. He helped created a ton of scoring chances and has good chemistry with Conner and Andersson. He’s just fun to watch; he has incredible hands and looked like a mini Dats out there at times.

Callahan: I like his constant energy, and he had another fight tonight. He’ll quickly develop into a fan favourite in Grand Rapids.

Andersson: A new season, and much greater responsibility for Joakim. He now looks like he firmly belongs in the AHL. He’s centering the top line with Gus and Conner, and he looked at home. He would’ve had about 20 minutes TOI, and he’s playing in all situations, including a successful 5-on-3 PK.

Parkes: Parkes assisted on Coeztee’s first period goal and overall I was impressed, he plays with energy and he’s got intriguing offensive upside.

Aubry: The first impression you get is that he’s massive, and surprisingly, I didn’t think he looked super thin. I thought he stood around far too much and seemed to get lost a little bit, he centered the 4th line and they were hemmed in their own end more often than not. I’m sure with more pro experience he will learn the pace of the game and react quicker, but I’m not so sure he’s ready to be playing in the AHL yet. For the positive side, he skates well, and he is quite physical and not afraid to throw his body around, especially along the boards. He's also got a good reach and managed to keep the puck in the zone when it looked like it would come out. When he fills out and reacts more quickly, with his frame and willingness to play physical, he could be a tremendous prospect, but he’s still very raw. I'm still not convinced they won't send him back to juniors, but maybe the Wings feel it will speed up his development leaving him in the AHL.

Tatar: Honestly, I didn’t notice him a whole lot. He had a couple of scoring chances including a 2-on-1 but it was at the end of his shift so he was a bit gassed. He certainly didn’t struggle, but he didn’t set the world on fire either, Gustav took the spotlight tonight.

Ferraro: Man alive does he have some wheels; he’s also quite happy to throw his body around, which saw him penalised for 2 minutes for kneeing. He had a decent amount of ice-time tonight, including the PP and PK, and I think now that he’s finally healthy he’s set for a big season. Was drafted to be a scorer, now I think he could make it as a grinder, and a line of Ferraro-Helm-Mursak would be out of this world.

Lashoff: Really liked his game, was solid as a rock on defence, didn’t commit any giveaways (in fact, the whole team defence was quite good) and is set for a good year. He won’t blow you away, he’s not that type of defenceman, but has good size and will get the job done.


Last edited by Filppula: 10-14-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 09:51 PM
  #86
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
My take on our prospects...

Coetzee: Heís got great speed, heís got super hands and had one amazing dangle to keep the puck in on the PP, but the one thing that will hold him back is his size. Heís listed at 5í10 but I think even that might be generous. He scored again tonight and has 2 goals in 2 games and I think heíll be a 20 goal scorer this season. If he was a little taller I definitely think heíd be a legit NHL prospect, but perhaps the lack of size might cost him.

Nyquist: As newfy said, he was dominant out there, and I have no idea how they left him out of the three stars because he was the Griffins best player. He scored a garbage type goal in front of the net, and he assisted on Janikís GWG. He helped created a ton of scoring chances and has good chemistry with Conner and Andersson. Heís just fun to watch; he has incredible hands and looked like a mini Dats out there at times.

Callahan: I like his constant energy, and he had another fight tonight. Heíll quickly develop into a fan favourite in Grand Rapids.

Andersson: A new season, and much greater responsibility for Joakim. He now looks like he firmly belongs in the AHL. Heís centering the top line with Gus and Conner, and he looked at home. He wouldíve had about 20 minutes TOI, and heís playing in all situations, including a successful 5-on-3 PK.

Parkes: Parkes assisted on Coezteeís first period goal and overall I was impressed, he plays with energy and heís got intriguing offensive upside.

Aubry: The first impression you get is that heís massive, and surprisingly, I didnít think he looked super thin. I thought he stood around far too much and seemed to get lost a little bit, he centered the 4th line and they were hemmed in their own end more often than not. Iím sure with more pro experience he will learn the pace of the game and react quicker, but Iím not so sure heís ready to be playing in the AHL yet. For the positive side, he skates well, and he is quite physical and not afraid to throw his body around, especially along the boards. He's also got a good reach and managed to keep the puck in the zone when it looked like it would come out. When he fills out and reacts more quickly, with his frame and willingness to play physical, he could be a tremendous prospect, but heís still very raw. I'm still not convinced they won't send him back to juniors, but maybe the Wings feel it will speed up his development leaving him in the AHL.

Tatar: Honestly, I didnít notice him a whole lot. He had a couple of scoring chances including a 2-on-1 but it was at the end of his shift so he was a bit gassed. He certainly didnít struggle, but he didnít set the world on fire either, Gustav took the spotlight tonight.

Ferraro: Man alive does he have some wheels; heís also quite happy to throw his body around, which saw him penalised for 2 minutes for kneeing. He had a decent amount of ice-time tonight, including the PP and PK, and I think now that heís finally healthy heís set for a big season. Was drafted to be a scorer, now I think he could make it as a grinder, and a line of Ferraro-Helm-Mursak would be out of this world.

Lashoff: Really liked his game, was solid as a rock on defence, didnít commit any giveaways (in fact, the whole team defence was quite good) and is set for a good year. He wonít blow you away, heís not that type of defenceman, but has good size and will get the job done.
Agree with everything said here.

Just to add a bit.

Nyquist looked like he was toying with everyone out there, his skill level was well above anyone else on the ice it seemed. I dont wanna jump the gun too much but I think hes easily a 60+ point guy in the NHL in a couple years.

Callahan is the definition of energy, Was hitting everything. Had a fight, wasnt that good he was at the end of the shift and they both kinda fell over after 4 punches, but even after his scrap he was constantly beaking at everyone and I thought he could've got in 3 more fights and he wouldnt have minded. He also showed soft hands. His speed might hold him back from being anything great at the NHL level but with his hands, and energy we're easily looking at a red wing version of Chris Neil or potentially Dmac.

Another big thing to add is Callahan is now listed at 6'1 and 190 lbs easily big enough to go with most NHL tough guys.

Summed up Aubry pretty good I think too. Definitely enormous and was hitting like a truck out there. Put 20 more lbs on him and watch out other teams defense.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:19 PM
  #87
detredWINgs
Registered User
 
detredWINgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 17,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Agree with everything said here.
Another big thing to add is Callahan is now listed at 6'1 and 190 lbs easily big enough to go with most NHL tough guys.
What!? I feel like he was just listed at 5'11, 175...For those that have seen him, does he look like he could be as big as listed? We really could be looking at having our own Chris Neil or Raffi Torres.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:31 PM
  #88
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
What!? I feel like he was just listed at 5'11, 175...For those that have seen him, does he look like he could be as big as listed? We really could be looking at having our own Chris Neil or Raffi Torres.
On the griffs site hes listed at 6 feet even and 190 lbs but during the broadcast they said 6'1.

He fought Jeff Finger tongiht and didnt look small at all, I definitely think hes at least a solid 6 feet. Looked pretty stocky as well, built to chuck knuckles I would say lol

That 5'11 175 listing was him on draft day and hasnt changed since for some reason until now, hes definitely bigger than that, looks like a solid 190

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:43 PM
  #89
Run the Jewels
Registered User
 
Run the Jewels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 10,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
My take on our prospects...

Coetzee: Heís got great speed, heís got super hands and had one amazing dangle to keep the puck in on the PP, but the one thing that will hold him back is his size. Heís listed at 5í10 but I think even that might be generous. He scored again tonight and has 2 goals in 2 games and I think heíll be a 20 goal scorer this season. If he was a little taller I definitely think heíd be a legit NHL prospect, but perhaps the lack of size might cost him.

Nyquist: As newfy said, he was dominant out there, and I have no idea how they left him out of the three stars because he was the Griffins best player. He scored a garbage type goal in front of the net, and he assisted on Janikís GWG. He helped created a ton of scoring chances and has good chemistry with Conner and Andersson. Heís just fun to watch; he has incredible hands and looked like a mini Dats out there at times.

Callahan: I like his constant energy, and he had another fight tonight. Heíll quickly develop into a fan favourite in Grand Rapids.

Andersson: A new season, and much greater responsibility for Joakim. He now looks like he firmly belongs in the AHL. Heís centering the top line with Gus and Conner, and he looked at home. He wouldíve had about 20 minutes TOI, and heís playing in all situations, including a successful 5-on-3 PK.

Parkes: Parkes assisted on Coezteeís first period goal and overall I was impressed, he plays with energy and heís got intriguing offensive upside.

Aubry: The first impression you get is that heís massive, and surprisingly, I didnít think he looked super thin. I thought he stood around far too much and seemed to get lost a little bit, he centered the 4th line and they were hemmed in their own end more often than not. Iím sure with more pro experience he will learn the pace of the game and react quicker, but Iím not so sure heís ready to be playing in the AHL yet. For the positive side, he skates well, and he is quite physical and not afraid to throw his body around, especially along the boards. He's also got a good reach and managed to keep the puck in the zone when it looked like it would come out. When he fills out and reacts more quickly, with his frame and willingness to play physical, he could be a tremendous prospect, but heís still very raw. I'm still not convinced they won't send him back to juniors, but maybe the Wings feel it will speed up his development leaving him in the AHL.

Tatar: Honestly, I didnít notice him a whole lot. He had a couple of scoring chances including a 2-on-1 but it was at the end of his shift so he was a bit gassed. He certainly didnít struggle, but he didnít set the world on fire either, Gustav took the spotlight tonight.

Ferraro: Man alive does he have some wheels; heís also quite happy to throw his body around, which saw him penalised for 2 minutes for kneeing. He had a decent amount of ice-time tonight, including the PP and PK, and I think now that heís finally healthy heís set for a big season. Was drafted to be a scorer, now I think he could make it as a grinder, and a line of Ferraro-Helm-Mursak would be out of this world.

Lashoff: Really liked his game, was solid as a rock on defence, didnít commit any giveaways (in fact, the whole team defence was quite good) and is set for a good year. He wonít blow you away, heís not that type of defenceman, but has good size and will get the job done.
Thanks for the report! Good to hear about Lashoff too, I like him and he sounds like a shutdown defender which is what he's listed as on Red Wings Central. Good to hear Nyquist is killin' it and I can't wait until Smith is active again.

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 01:45 AM
  #90
FabricDetails
Registered User
 
FabricDetails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
My take on our prospects...
AWESOME REPORT!

One line was Conner-Andersson-Nyquist. What were the others along with the defensive pairings?

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:14 AM
  #91
FabricDetails
Registered User
 
FabricDetails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 500

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 04:32 AM
  #92
FabricDetails
Registered User
 
FabricDetails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 500
The lines were

Nyquist - Andersson - Conner
Tatar - Johnson - Pare
Parkes - Raedeke - Coetzee
Callahan - Aubry - Ferraro

In the post game interview Fraser seems to really highlight the Andersson line and says that the other three lines were also good. For the most part I remember him highlighting individual players the past few years and not so much lines.

My sense (or hope) is that perhaps he's looking to keep the lines together on a more regular basis but maybe the fact that he simply has more players that skate hard and well really sets him up so that he doesn't have to change the lines all that much.

He also had a nice little reference to Jimmy when he said the Griffins haven't had fantastic goaltending since he left but now do thanks to Joey.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 04:34 AM
  #93
FabricDetails
Registered User
 
FabricDetails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Nyquist looked like he was toying with everyone out there, his skill level was well above anyone else on the ice it seemed. I dont wanna jump the gun too much but I think hes easily a 60+ point guy in the NHL in a couple years.
How would you make a comparison of Nyquist to Tatar? The way you speak about Nyquist it's as if he's already a better player even though Tatar has more experience at the AHL level.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 06:44 AM
  #94
waltdetroit
Registered User
 
waltdetroit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 970
vCash: 500
from Newfy: Callahan is the definition of energy, Was hitting everything. Had a fight, wasnt that good he was at the end of the shift and they both kinda fell over after 4 punches, but even after his scrap he was constantly beaking at everyone and I thought he could've got in 3 more fights and he wouldnt have minded. He also showed soft hands. His speed might hold him back from being anything great at the NHL level but with his hands, and energy we're easily looking at a red wing version of Chris Neil or potentially Dmac.

Thanks Fab for the great report. I haven't been able to watch the Grif's in over a year.

Newfy - I read a Nill's interview where he said Callahan had "superb speed" and saw Callahan play 1 game with the American team where he seemed faster than the others on the 4th line. Is he just slow for the AHL level? How slow?

waltdetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 08:11 AM
  #95
Filppula
Jurks
 
Filppula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,796
vCash: 500
Photo courtesy of MLive.com



Aubry is certainly more physical than I imagined. In that interview above Fraser mentioned how all the lines were good, even specifically mentioning Aubry's line, so I like his chances of sticking around.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 10:29 AM
  #96
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
How would you make a comparison of Nyquist to Tatar? The way you speak about Nyquist it's as if he's already a better player even though Tatar has more experience at the AHL level.
From what I've seen of Tatar last year all season and of Nyquist at the end of last season, this preseason and last nights game... I think Nyquist has DEFINITELY without question cemente himself, in my eyes anyways, as a better prospect than Tatar.

Tatar is a very good prospect but the way Nyquist seemed to be toying with guys in his first real pro season last night is something I havent seen from Tatar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltdetroit View Post
from Newfy: Callahan is the definition of energy, Was hitting everything. Had a fight, wasnt that good he was at the end of the shift and they both kinda fell over after 4 punches, but even after his scrap he was constantly beaking at everyone and I thought he could've got in 3 more fights and he wouldnt have minded. He also showed soft hands. His speed might hold him back from being anything great at the NHL level but with his hands, and energy we're easily looking at a red wing version of Chris Neil or potentially Dmac.

Thanks Fab for the great report. I haven't been able to watch the Grif's in over a year.

Newfy - I read a Nill's interview where he said Callahan had "superb speed" and saw Callahan play 1 game with the American team where he seemed faster than the others on the 4th line. Is he just slow for the AHL level? How slow?
His speed used to be a knock on him, and maybe I knew that and was looking for a flaw in his game to report I dunno.

He didnt seem like he was super fast or anything, but his wheels were good I would say.

I just think from what I saw of his hands and the way he was crashing the net, he could be a second line winger if he had Helm or Ferreros speed.

I should've clarified that, I didnt tihnk he was slow but without Helms speed I dont see Callahan being anything more than a third/fourth line tweener, which is fine.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 11:17 AM
  #97
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,573
vCash: 500
I love both Tatar and Nyquist,but let's remember Nyquist had three years at Maine and Tatar jumped in the AHL at age 18.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 01:16 PM
  #98
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
I love both Tatar and Nyquist,but let's remember Nyquist had three years at Maine and Tatar jumped in the AHL at age 18.
Yeah but thats why its surprising that with his pro experience, Nyquist still has looked in a different league than him.

You would think Nyquil would need an adjustment period to the pros but it sure doesnt seem like it

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 01:58 PM
  #99
ALF AmericanLionsFan
Registered User
 
ALF AmericanLionsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio USA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,573
vCash: 500
Yes, but also Nyquist had those three years to simply adjust to NA game and get stronger. Tatar has done that all on the fly.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 02:56 PM
  #100
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
Yes, but also Nyquist had those three years to simply adjust to NA game and get stronger. Tatar has done that all on the fly.
Yeah Tatar has had 2 seasons to do that against men with pro trainers, Nyquist hasn't played against the calibre Tatar has. Tatar is a great prospect and has done very well for himself but Nyquist has made him look like the lesser prospect for sure

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.