HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Plane Carrying Lokomotiv Yaroslavl crashes; Former Devs Vasyunov and Rachunek dead

Old
09-07-2011, 01:09 PM
CMac17
Scaaaaaaar!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Zharkov

Oh dammit, then I just totally did one of those "I don't know... all have same name to me!" things

My sincere apologies, and thank you for the correction.

...what a sickening bit of news, again.

CMac17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:12 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

just thought of kovy. man he must be a wreck right now..

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZNDevil View Post
AGrossRecord Andrew Gross
by TGfireandice
Artem Anisimov came up with Locomotiv, says he knows about half the roster. "I feel like it can't happen. I feel sick about that."

Can't imagine how Anisimov is going to deal with this.
This is true, he`s not a mentally strong guy by any means.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:13 PM
CerebralGenesis

This is crazy...awful awful news

Someone asked what the 3rd bad thing to come was....

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Varlamov must be really thankful he got traded now. His KHL team is Lokomotiv, he might have gone back to them if the Capitals hadn't traded him to a team where he could be the starter.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

@SlavaMalamud: "Half an hour ago Galimov was still alive" - Yaroslavl Region Governor (via Rossiyskaya Gazeta). Fight, kid!!

I don`t know what to believe anymore. Plus even if he`s still alive, I`m afraid he won`t be for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
just thought of kovy. man he must be a wreck right now..
Volchenkov too, but especially Zharky.

Old
09-07-2011, 01:17 PM
CerebralGenesis

This is Nuts looking at the roster aboard the plane

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I pointed that out earlier that it's like 5%'ish if true. Anecdotally I have heard that aviation in Russia is nowhere near as safe as in most developed nations, with aging fleets, and repairs/maintenance on a schedule far less frequent. Will be interesting to hear what the case is, but not gaining altitude is likely NOT the pilot's fault (though given it's Russia, it wouldnt shock me if that's what is officially stated), so I'm guessing it's the plane. Also, this is not the first time that model crashed on takeoff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Not surprised. I googled the plane and it looks like a POS. F you Russia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
Not overloaded, but the weight was distributed wrong, at least according to German news.
the plane is similar to a Boeing 727 in role and like a L-1011 in design (heavy but powerful engines)

If they got in trouble with power/climb issues it would have been a fat cow to handle.

Another culprit would be of of the 3 engines lost power during takeoff or flaps not set correctly. I'm guessing the flight recorder will give us our answer in a week or two.

The airport had a 10,000 runway so over fueled really shouldn't come into play. As far as weight distributed wrong maybe if all the cargo and passengers were in the front of the plane they couldn't pull up enough but even then at half loaded I just can't see it without a secondary failure like an engine or hydraulics. The natural weight of the plane is rear heavy with 3 engines back there past the rear landing gear.

The flight engineer is supposedly one of the survivors... poor guy will have it bad from all sides if he's one of the only ones to make it and it ends up being a balance issue.

Quote:
FEs are also responsible for preflight and postflight aircraft inspections, and ensuring that the weight and balance of the aircraft is correctly calculated to ensure the centre of gravity is within limits.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
daveskirtun
:o)

vCash: 920
http://www.fromrussiawithglove.com/k...ssia#more-2110

Quote:
The plane crashed into a beacon antenna, splitting the plane into two. The soviet era plane has claimed over 500 lives since it’s inception in 1980 and it’s production was stopped in 2002. It has been a goal of the Russian government to bar it and other soviet era style planes from taking the sky’s as newer planes are now widely available. This particular plane is said to have been 30 years old.

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I doubt they're a wreck unless they played in Yaroslavl or know the guys. Anisimov's bff was Vasy, it would hit him.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Zharkov and Vasyunov were very close, I remember them giving quotes to TG saying both of them were happy to have another Russian speaking prospect around to help with the language barrier.

Old
09-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

This is definitely the darkest time period in the history of our sport.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

OH MY ****ING GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i just sent him back a message on facebook yesterday

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
I doubt they're a wreck unless they played in Yaroslavl or know the guys. Anisimov's bff was Vasy, it would hit him.
Zharkov and Vasyunov were close. Besides...who isn`t?

Players` reactions:

Alex Ovechkin (@ovi8), Washington Capitals:
I'm in shock!!!!! R.I.P.

Ilya Bryzgalov (@bryzgoalie30), Philadelphia Flyers:
R.I.P.#Lokomotiv #Ярославль (con't) My deepest condolences go to families and friends of Lokomotiv. My thoughts and prayers are with wives, childrens and parents of victims... Я не могу поверить,шок,хочется проснуться

Bobby Ryan (@b_ryan9), Anaheim Ducks:
I can't believe I'm writing another one. Thoughts and prayers to everyone affected by the KHL plane crash. Too many players gone this year.

Victor Hedman (@heds77), Tampa Bay Lightning:
My thoughts and prayers goes out to all the families of the players and staff in Lokomotiv... #wordsarenotenough

Curtis Sanford (@curtissandford):
Another tragedy for the hockey world to deal with. Absolutely heartbreaking. Thoughts and prayers for family and friends of all.

Devin Setoguchi (@dsetoguchi10), Minnesota Wild:
No words can describe this tragedy today... Thoughts and prayers to the families and friends #saddayforhockey

Tyler Bozak (@bozie42), Toronto Maple Leafs:
Thoughts and prayers to the families and friends of those involved in the tragic accident in the KHL today.

Martin Havlat (@martinhavlat), San Jose Sharks:
I haven't tweeted in a long time but want to speak today. To all the families of the Yaroslavl players, coaches and to the families of my good friends Josef Vasicek, Jan Marek and Ivan Rachunek I send out my condolences and sympathies. You will never be forgotten.

Zac Dalpe (@zacdalpe22), Carolina Hurricanes:
Another sad day for the hockey world. Prayers go out to everyone involved in the KHL plane crash.

Matthew Calvert (@mattcalvert11), Columbus Blue Jackets:
Very sad to hear about the plane crash. Thoughts and prayers are with the families.

Mathieu Darche (@matdarche52), Montreal Canadiens:
Horrible tragedy!!! Thoughts with families. Enough hockey tragedy this summer.

Michael Grabner (@grabs40), New York Islanders:
Another terrible tragedy and loss to the hockey world-thoughts and prayers go out to all the families..makes my body shake thinking bout it

James van Riemsdyk (@jvreemer21), Philadelphia Flyers:
Terrible to hear about what happened in Russia, thoughts and prayers go out to the families.

Kevin Shattenkirk (@shattdeuces), St. Louis Blues:
Another tragedy in hockey today with the Plane crash in Russia.. My heart goes out to all of the families and friends. (con't) Hockey lost a great legend in Demitra.. Remember watching him play a few months ago at Worlds, #anothersaddayforhockey

Carl Gunnarsson (@carl_gun), Toronto Maple Leafs:
Unbelievable! Can't get what happened in Russia. Thinking of all the families and friends. So tragic

Andrew Ladd (@aladd16), Winnipeg Jets:
Still in shock about the news out of Russia. Thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of everyone on the plane.

RJ Umberger (@umby18), Columbus Blue Jackets
I am sickened over the plane crash of the #KHL hockey team.. this has been an awful summer for hockey. #RIP

Taylor Hall (@hallsy6), Edmonton Oilers:
What an awful summer for hockey. Thoughts and prayers with the families and friends of everyone on that flight

Ryane Clowe (@ryaneclowe29), San Jose Sharks:
Hearing the tragic news about the Russian plane crash almost brought me to my knees.. So so sad and unfair. Prayers go out to all the families.

Max Talbot (@max25talbot), Philadelphia Flyers
Thoughts and prayers to the KHL team and their families. I'm in shock.

Evander Kane (@ekane9jets), Winnipeg Jets
Can't believe what has happen with the KHL plane crash. Thoughts are with the players families and friends.

Eric Fehr (@ericfehr), Winnipeg Jets:
Terrible news out of Russia today. Prayers to all the family and friends involved! #KHL

Martin Biron (@martybiron43), New York Rangers:
Way to many players and families affected with tragic events this summer. Thoughts and prayers go out to this KHL team and their families.

John Carlson (@johncarlson74), Washington Capitals:
Gloomy day in DC and even worse news in Russia. Prayers to all the family/friends associated today. #KHL

Magnus Paajarvi (@mps_91), Edmonton Oilers:
Cannot believe it … thoughts for all the families around…

Logan Couture (@logancouture), San Jose Sharks:
Heartbreaking summer for hockey. Thoughts to everyone affected by these terrible, sad events.

Nate Thompson (@natethompson44), Tampa Bay Lightning:
Tragic loss for the hockey world. Plane crash with an entire KHL team on board. Thoughts and prayers go out to there families and friends

Ryan Shannon (@ryanshannon22), Tampa Bay Lightning:
A sad day. Thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by the KHL plane crash.

Brent Sopel (@brentsopel), Metallurg of KHL:
In shock. Prayers out to all of the KHL families.

Ryan Whitney (@ryanwhitney6), Edmonton Oilers:
Terrible news of the plane crash carrying an entire KHL team. Thoughts and prayers go out to all families involved.

Steven Kampfer (@stevekampfer47), Boston Bruins:
Awful news to hear about when getting off the ice today. Thoughts and prayers go out to all of those players families and friends.

Mike Rupp (@rupper17), New York Rangers:
Absolutely disturbing news out of Russia (KHL)... Heartfelt prayers to all affected!

Scottie Upshall (@scottieupshall), Florida Panthers:
Very sad news this morning in Russia - plane carrying KHL team Lokomotiv crashes. Our condolences go out 2 all victims families and friends.

Brett Connolly (@bconnolly8), Tampa Bay Lightning:
Thoughts and prayers are with the Russian team and families #Lokomotiv

Jack Skille (@jackskille), Florida Panthers:
Prayers go out to the players and family's involved with the KHL plane crash. #RIP #sosad

Old
09-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

The weight distribution thing bugs me. It's why I tell my mom to follow luggage regulations. There's so many different things to **** you up. God I hate flying.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

@SlavaMalamud Slava Malamud
Newspaper Kommersant reports that airline Yak-Serivce is ranked DEAD LAST among all airlines who fly to EU by European Air Safety Commission

This plane should not have been flying for multiple reasons. Awful.

Old
09-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveskirtun View Post
That's a different account than I'm reading - possibly due to translation issues.

Quote:
The Yak-Service aircraft struck a tower mast at Tunoshna Airport as it was taking off. The plane then listed to the right and crashed into the Volga River beyond the airport, catching fire.
I believe the plane broke in two as it hit the river and bank - the pictures support that. If it split in two from hitting a beacon tower, it truly is a POS plane.

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Life is at once beautiful, fleeting and unfair.

One is reminded of such daily.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:29 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

it would be nice if all nhl players across all teams put aside everything including personal disputes and on-ice BS and did something as a united front in honor of those poor guys.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
it would be nice if all nhl players across all teams put aside everything including personal disputes and on-ice BS and did something as a united front in honor of those poor guys.
I think the league will definitely do something to honour them. Either on opening night or before the preseason games.

Old
09-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Devilswede

Unreal...

Here I was at the hospital, cherishing the moment with my wife as we are expecting a baby and everything that comes with it. And I come home to hear the horrible news about Vasyunov and the crash. Talk about being an emotional mess!

Life is a precious thing and it's mindboggling how there can be two different spectras to it.

Unreal. Thoughts and prayers to all affected by this tragic event. I'm extremely saddened by the loss of great human beings first and foremost, but also because the world lost some true talents today.

RIP team!

Devilswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilswede View Post
Unreal...

Here I was at the hospital, cherishing the moment with my wife as we are expecting a baby and everything that comes with it. And I come home to hear the horrible news about Vasyunov and the crash. Talk about being an emotional mess!

Life is a precious thing and it's mindboggling how there can be two different spectras to it.

Unreal. Thoughts and prayers to all affected by this tragic event. I'm extremely saddened by the loss of great human beings first and foremost, but also because the world lost some true talents today.

RIP team!
Congrats DS

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I think the league will definitely do something to honour them. Either on opening night or before the preseason games.
I really hope the NHL does a moment of silence to honor everyone. I hope the Devils wear patches on their jerseys for these guys and possibly even dedicate a game to them with a ceremony.

Tedenby21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:36 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

this is unbelievable. every other ****ing week another player dies, now a plane crash. this has to be the worst offseason in nhl history. rip to all those who lost their lives.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

There is a "perfect" Simpson reference for this, but I`m not even thinking about posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilswede View Post
Unreal...

RIP team!
Well...congrats!