Bridge Year 57 61.29%
Still Stanley Cup Contenders 36 38.71%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Lord Ahriman

vCash: 500
Bridge year or Still Stanley Cup Contenders

Only 22 games, but simple question: bridge year or still contenders and why.

In my opinion bridge year. Our needs can't be fixed by the deadline and no cap space (well, at least not enough). I'd say trade some vets - Loui, McQuaid and maybe Kelly -, re-sign Hamilton/Soderberg and call it a day.

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 10:45 AM
Rubber Biscuit

At full health they're still among the favorites to come out of the East, imo. Maybe a piece away. The East is bad.

Rubber Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 10:48 AM
MattFromFranklin

Bridge year. I'd be stunned, absolutely stunned if this team won the cup, much less got to the cup finals. I say first round exit, or whenever we play Montreal.

MattFromFranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 10:56 AM
bruins repeat time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post
At full health they're still among the favorites to come out of the East, imo. Maybe a piece away. The East is bad.
Bruins are second choice to the penguins to come out of the east at 3.5-1 . 8-1 3rd choice to win the cup so you are right. Of course we will let the rest of the people cry now though.

black hawks 7-1 penguins 7.5-1 bruins 8-1 ducks 8.5-1 kings 8.5-1 blues 11-1 bet 365 odds and yes the penguins, bruins, habs odds to win the cup are lower because the east is weak and the west killer. If you took hawks to the east bruins to west----Id guess hawks 5-1 bruins 10 or 11

bruins repeat time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

I'd say it's a 2011-12 esque year. We still have a shot and rightfully so, but in hindsight, we need another year.

Our wings (especially right) just don't cut it. We need guys like Griffith/Pastrnak/Spooner/KoKo/Dougie/Morrow to develop more this season.

If we get hot this season it's possible, but I'm not expecting much. For what it's worth, I expected nothing in 2013 and expected it all last year, so anything can happen, especially with one trade. It's important to realize that we're also missing our best offensive player and our best defensive player, both of which are leaders on this team. Teams can be lost without their captain, and Chara definitely has that ability to control a game with his play and leadership. But without a trade for a true first line right winger, it'll be the same story as every year. Not enough offense when we need it. It'll be a close series with whoever beats us, but they'll have a Kane/Paccioretty/Vanek/Ovechkin who just gives them that extra edge.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 11:06 AM
Replicator
Replicated User

Can't get past Montreal, can't beat most of the western powers in a 7 game series (considering that B's have little cap space, but a couple of the western teams are bound to be able to find their Marion Gaborik at the trade deadine). B's are comparatively weak in scoring/sniping - they'll get goals at an average pace, but can't get through a goalie who's having a good game. Getting Krejci & Chara back will help, but not enough.
But they are close. And even though most of the last 10 games are against below-average teams, they got more points out of it than we fans had any right to expect. So if you're the GM, you obviously don't blow it up - but you also don't go "all in" for the cup at the expense of the next season.

Replicator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 11:08 AM
Braunbaer
also a giraffe

Neither. Chara will be 39 in April 2016.

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 11:09 AM
since76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins repeat time View Post
Bruins are second choice to the penguins to come out of the east at 3.5-1 . 8-1 3rd choice to win the cup so you are right. Of course we will let the rest of the people cry now though.

black hawks 7-1 penguins 7.5-1 bruins 8-1 ducks 8.5-1 kings 8.5-1 blues 11-1 bet 365 odds and yes the penguins, bruins, habs odds to win the cup are lower because the east is weak and the west killer. If you took hawks to the east bruins to west----Id guess hawks 5-1 bruins 10 or 11
Win the cup 8-1 beat habs in playoffs 1500333-1
Even at this odds, NOBODY ON EARTH will put 1 $ on bruins

since76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 11:16 AM
trenton1
Paille Good

Injury plagued. Difficult to assess fully. Team got off to terrible start but they were actually banged up then, too. Can happen to any team. Still at least a player short of being a true contender.
Put Krejci, Marchand and Kelly in there last night and i think the Bruins win. Bruins and Habs are still very, very close. East wide open. Not a bridge year on one hand in that they will make the playoffs and won't have a top 15 pick. Can be a good bridge year if they fall flat in that they get to assess a ton of young players. Based on the injuries I am not particularly troubled by what is happening. I wish they had kept Boychuk though. Hopefully they use picks to get something good.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Dr Quincy

Will wait a bit to see if the team gets healthy and if it does what it looks like and make a decision then, but lean towards non-contending year (maybe a 2nd rd appearance).

You can't get worse on the backend before the season starts and expect to perform better than the prior year.

What's more concerning is the future after this year. Chara may not look as good when he gets back, and there was already a bit of a dip. Replacing him will be impossible and the team will have to go forward with a different model on D. It's possible to win a Cup without that all universe D, but it will take a bit of work.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 11:24 AM
MattFromFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Will wait a bit to see if the team gets healthy and if it does what it looks like and make a decision then, but lean towards non-contending year (maybe a 2nd rd appearance).

You can't get worse on the backend before the season starts and expect to perform better than the prior year.

What's more concerning is the future after this year. Chara may not look as good when he gets back, and there was already a bit of a dip. Replacing him will be impossible and the team will have to go forward with a different model on D. It's possible to win a Cup without that all universe D, but it will take a bit of work.
Chiarelli's inability to draft effectively, particularly from 2007-2009 will definitely come back to haunt us.

Old
11-23-2014, 11:27 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromFranklin View Post
Chiarelli's inability to draft effectively, particularly from 2007-2009 will definitely come back to haunt us.
I haven't been the biggest fans of his drafts, but it's not even that. It's just that having Chara gave the B's a HUGE advantage and lifted every single D from 1-7. It's pretty damn hard to get a #1 D. It's harder to do it without a top 5 pick. It's even harder when you are talking about not just any #1 D but a pretty darn special one.

Dougie has talent but I don't think he's going to be the foundational column that holds up the whole structure like Chara was.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 11:33 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Fully healthy the team is a contender. Missing the number 1 defenseman,#1 center and # 2 winger they'll be golfing. Not enough talent in the depth.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 11:40 AM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Definitely a bridge year, but a bridge year into nothing as next year's cap situation is going to be worse than this year. Much worse.

There is no way that this team (even when healthy) compares well next to any of the West's giants in a series, nevermind the best in the East. Absolutely no way.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 11:47 AM
sarge88

As we've seen a few times in the last few years any team that makes the playoffs is a contender. Until this team gets healthy and we're past the trade deadline and the playoff roster is finalized, I think it will be too early to discount them as also rans.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 11:49 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
I said "Stanley Cup Contenders" ONLY because I think they can maybe, possibly squeak into the playoffs. Barring some miracle acquisition I think they are eliminated in the first or second round.

[Edit: Guess I misinterpreted the meaning of "Bridge Year". I took it to mean the season would be a total loss and they would not make the playoffs.]

Last edited by ReggieMoto: 11-23-2014 at 11:57 AM.
ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 11:54 AM
5 minutes a Knight

Bridge year
Even after everyone comes back healthy still need first line RW and a 4th line RW.

Still think they can make some noise in the playoffs just won't have high expectations

5 minutes a Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 12:00 PM
KrejciMVP

Cup contender when healthy, need to beat up the Habs in the playoffs, best way to get by them.

KrejciMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 12:07 PM
smack66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromFranklin View Post
I agree they were terrible drafts but I blame scouts more then GM. Ultimately GM makes decision on info from scouts. I don't think it was chia who said take Hamill over habs 07 pics Pacioretty or McDonagh or moved up in 2nd to take Cross over pk subban. Thats bad scouting not GM in my opinion. Now Seguin trade that's on GM.

smack66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Hali33

Bridge year.

Hali33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 12:13 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack66 View Post
I agree they were terrible drafts but I blame scouts more then GM. Ultimately GM makes decision on info from scouts. I don't think it was chia who said take Hamill over habs 07 pics Pacioretty or McDonagh or moved up in 2nd to take Cross over pk subban. Thats bad scouting not GM in my opinion. Now Seguin trade that's on GM.
As someone pointed out,the head scout got canned that was in charge of drafts from 07-13 I think.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 12:15 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 minutes a Knight View Post
Bridge year
Even after everyone comes back healthy still need first line RW and a 4th line RW.

Still think they can make some noise in the playoffs just won't have high expectations
A 4th line RW is one of the two reasons we can't contend for a Cup? Really?

Ten Thousand Hours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Rancid McGoiter
Lieks Boxxy

Send a message via AIM to Rancid McGoiter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Thousand Hours View Post
A 4th line RW is one of the two reasons we can't contend for a Cup? Really?
I think that means an "enforcer". That's a bad word now, unfortunately.

However, a first line RW and an enforcer would be completely brilliant additions.

Rancid McGoiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2014, 12:42 PM
MattFromFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
As someone pointed out,the head scout got canned that was in charge of drafts from 07-13 I think.
Someone else posted that Wayne Smith had little control over who was selected from 07-09, and the rest of the drafts. He didn't become the head scout until the 2008 draft. I believe the 2007 draft was all Chiarelli/Benning/Bradley.

Old
11-23-2014, 12:42 PM
wintersej

Too early to say? I'd like to see them healthy.

wintersej is offline   Reply With Quote