Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Thornton is done as an enforcer.

Old
04-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Colt.45Orr

vCash: 500
Thornton is done as an enforcer.

(This isn't the thread for many of you. Save yourself some stress and click elsewhere.)

As for Thornton: Maybe you keep him around as the old/vet/role player, I dunno. But as an NHL enforcer, he is done.

To be an enforcer you have to be a heavyweight fighter and he is past his due date in this category. He goes after Rinaldo and Hartnell now --which is where he should be fighting, but it is embarrassing to watch too (it would be like Rosehill challenging Marchand). Then he fights a heavy; I remember years back when he laid a beating on Rosehill, and now Rosehill has no problem handling him. He is 2-6-2 or something this year, got dropped by a Gazdic 1 punch (jab) and couldn't even get a win over Pierre Cedric Labrierre (or whatever the hell his name is).

Here's the problem though: you have a huge, useless goon in the division that was picked up for the SOLE PURPOSE of going after Lucic and Chara. Thornton, God bless him, takes him on last year and gets KO'd and concussed. Guys like Stafford grow a set of balls and Buffalo players run Bruins all over the ice. Since Scott arrived on the scene, it is a different Sabres teams against the Bruins.

ffwd to this year, Buffalo had no dreams of making the playoffs and they bring Scott back. Some of us beg for a 13th forward (like Gazdic) to take the place of Caron and play a few games here and there. We stick with Thornton --he proceeds to duck Scott every time they meet (I have a huge St. Bernard/Pyreneese and I see the same submissive body language from dogs that run into him in the park) --Scott runs Loui and KO/ concusses him as well. No biggie, right? Lets just keep ignoring him... right? Knowing he doesn't have to go through Thornton anymore he almost suckers Lucic into a fight a few days before the playoffs begin. That would have been great. Again, we could have picked up Gazdic for nothing.

I love Thornton, but he is too old to be an enforcer now. I think he needs to be replaced next year by a more skilled kid from Providence mixed in with a legit heavy 15ish games a year for the scrub teams like Buffalo. "Wait, we can't waste a 12th forward spot on a guy like Scott" but we can, apparently, waste a Chara or Lucic on him.

How many penalty minutes did Chara waste on Scott today?

"But it was a meaningless game!"

Exactly.

Colt.45Orr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:16 PM
QC
Visionary.

vCash: 1906
Damn you're quick, Colt.

QC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Res Nullius

Submissive Body Language In Domestic Canines by Colt.45Orr

Thornton's not as good as he used to be and should be replaced, as he is replaceable (sentimentality aside).

Res Nullius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Nullius View Post
Submissive Body Language In Domestic Canines by Colt.45Orr

Thornton's not as good as he used to be and should be replaced, as he is replaceable (sentimentality aside).
Look for it in your local bookstore this coming Fall.

Old
04-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Colt.45Orr

That is how you react to a 4th line goon running around at your guys.

Old
04-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Alan Ryan

Thornton should be done as a Bruins player after this year. He's been a good Bruin but his time is up.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:32 PM
bruinsfan46

Much to the chagrin of Colt and a few other HFBruins enforcers are pretty much done in the NHL. For all the hype about crazy the division would be looking back what effect did Orr, McLaren, Parros and Scott actually have the entire season? Scott cheap shotted Loui and missed eight games for it, Parros got KO'd a couple times, that's about it. I wouldn't mind seeing Thornton not back next year, it doesn't need to be a fighter placing him. A fourth line with three guys that can really play is an asset.

bruinsfan46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:33 PM
thegodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
(This isn't the thread for many of you. Save yourself some stress and click elsewhere.)

As for Thornton: Maybe you keep him around as the old/vet/role player, I dunno. But as an NHL enforcer, he is done.

To be an enforcer you have to be a heavyweight fighter and he is past his due date in this category. He goes after Rinaldo and Hartnell now --which is where he should be fighting, but it is embarrassing to watch too (it would be like Rosehill challenging Marchand). Then he fights a heavy; I remember years back when he laid a beating on Rosehill, and now Rosehill has no problem handling him. He is 2-6-2 or something this year, got dropped by a Gazdic 1 punch (jab) and couldn't even get a win over Pierre Cedric Labrierre (or whatever the hell his name is).

Here's the problem though: you have a huge, useless goon in the division that was picked up for the SOLE PURPOSE of going after Lucic and Chara. Thornton, God bless him, takes him on last year and gets KO'd and concussed. Guys like Stafford grow a set of balls and Buffalo players run Bruins all over the ice. Since Scott arrived on the scene, it is a different Sabres teams against the Bruins.

ffwd to this year, Buffalo had no dreams of making the playoffs and they bring Scott back. Some of us beg for a 13th forward (like Gazdic) to take the place of Caron and play a few games here and there. We stick with Thornton --he proceeds to duck Scott every time they meet (I have a huge St. Bernard/Pyreneese and I see the same submissive body language from dogs that run into him in the park) --Scott runs Loui and KO/ concusses him as well. No biggie, right? Lets just keep ignoring him... right? Knowing he doesn't have to go through Thornton anymore he almost suckers Lucic into a fight a few days before the playoffs begin. That would have been great. Again, we could have picked up Gazdic for nothing.

I love Thornton, but he is too old to be an enforcer now. I think he needs to be replaced next year by a more skilled kid from Providence mixed in with a legit heavy 15ish games a year for the scrub teams like Buffalo. "Wait, we can't waste a 12th forward spot on a guy like Scott" but we can, apparently, waste a Chara or Lucic on him.

Exactly.

BOSTON STRONG...BOSTON BEAUTIFUL
thegodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:37 PM
kytem2

Being an enforcer implies that you are very intimidating. I don't recall Thornton ever being an intimidating factor as a Bruin.

It is kind of frustrating to watch a player like this being kept simply for sentimental reasons.

kytem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:40 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Scott is done as an NHL enforcer. Was going to say player, but he was never a player

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:40 PM
BMC
#BostonStrong

I don't know if Thornton was on the ice when Lucic & Z went after Scott. If he was he should have beaten his teammates to get to that POS. If he wasn't he should have gone after Scott first chance he got even if Scott pulped him in the process.

Enforcement is his role. If he's not going to do it he needs to hang 'em up.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:42 PM
bruinsfan46

If you're making roster moves because of guys like Gazdic and Scott you're doing it wrong, fortunately the Bruins do it right and have won the Presidents Trophy and are looking to go to their third Cup Finals in five years.

Old
04-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
I don't know if Thornton was on the ice when Lucic & Z went after Scott. If he was he should have beaten his teammates to get to that POS. If he wasn't he should have gone after Scott first chance he got even if Scott pulped him in the process.

Enforcement is his role. If he's not going to do it he needs to hang 'em up.
Scott had two shifts after the incident with Lucic. Hard to get the chance when Scott is sitting on the bench.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:45 PM
BMC
#BostonStrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
If you're making roster moves because of guys like Gazdic and Scott you're doing it wrong, fortunately the Bruins do it right and have won the Presidents Trophy and are looking to go to their third Cup Finals in five years.
Yeah with two players injured, one perhaps seriously because the Sabres were allowed to goon it up without consequences.

Old
04-12-2014, 02:47 PM
missingchicklet

Thornton tries to go plenty with people but they decline. Hell he went after Orpik even after he declined and took a massive suspension. The merlot line is great and I think Thornton can still have a role with the team for another year or two. He has some skill, is allegedly good in the room, and still is willing to stand up for his teammates.

missingchicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:47 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Yeah with two players injured, one perhaps seriously because the Sabres were allowed to goon it up without consequences.
McCabe threw a clean body check that injured Paille, where the **** does an enforcer enter into that equation? That's not gooning it up kiddo, that's playing hockey (something the mouth breathing enforcers that Colt has been screaming for don't do very well).

Old
04-12-2014, 02:53 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Goon it up? That was a clean hit on Paille.

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:54 PM
BMC
#BostonStrong

Quote:
McCabe threw a clean body check that injured Paille, where the **** does an enforcer enter into that equation? That's not gooning it up kiddo, that's playing hockey (something the mouth breathing enforcers that Colt has been screaming for don't do very well).
I haven't seen the hit on Paille yet so I haven't commented on whether it was a goon shot or not. But IMO Scott's antics called for a beat down and he didn't get one, at least not one by our designated enforcer.

Old
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
You're forgetting McBain taking out Hackett

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Bullvyne666

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post

Exactly.
Spot on. I agree 100%

Bullvyne666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:55 PM
bruins repeat time

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Goon it up? That was a clean hit on Paille.
I agree how he would get a two minute penalty let alone five was a huge stretch

bruins repeat time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:56 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom - OHL View Post
Scott had two shifts after the incident with Lucic. Hard to get the chance when Scott is sitting on the bench.
Thornton has had countless chances to engage Scott (post late cheap-shot on Eriksson) and, clearly, didn't want anything to do with Scott.

Old
MaritimeHockeyNut
BRUINSrCHAMPS nextyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytem2 View Post
Being an enforcer implies that you are very intimidating. I don't recall Thornton ever being an intimidating factor as a Bruin.

It is kind of frustrating to watch a player like this being kept simply for sentimental reasons.
I guess our 4th line in one of the worst in the NHL eh. Who needs him when you have young talent sitting in the minors that might make that line better cause it is horrible. lol

I am a huge thorty fan but even I must admit that his enforcement days are behind him, but for this season at least there is a lot to say about experience, character and leadership. Next season I wouldn't be disappointed in seeing him again but wont be disappointed in seeing him retire in the Black and gold. There is something to say about loyalty and our 4th line at 2/3rd is still better then 50% of the other teams out there.

MaritimeHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
EverettMike

The 5 guys with the most fighting majors in the league this year aren't in the playoffs.

7 of the top 10 aren't, and it would be 8 but Mike Brown was traded to the Sharks.

EverettMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:59 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
The 5 guys with the most fighting majors in the league this year aren't in the playoffs.

7 of the top 10 aren't, and it would be 8 but Mike Brown was traded to the Sharks.
The enforcer is an irrelevant sideshow on bad hockey teams in today's NHL. If you want a super goon really, really bad that's fine, don't make up all this nonsense about how not having one hurts the Bruins in so many ways. Just say you enjoy the sideshow and want the Bruins engaged in it, at least be honest