HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Detroit Red Wings - Top 5 Prospects

Old
09-08-2011, 07:26 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Detroit Red Wings - Top 5 Prospects

Obviously a team with solid prospect depth

http://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-...p-5-prospects/

dean youngblood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:37 PM
waltdetroit

Nyquist is listed as a center in the article, a position he never played in college. I wonder if the writer ever saw him play or did any real research. I have to take the following quote about Nyquist with a grain of salt "Nyquist excels at puck pursuit and has proven to be a very capable special team’s player as either an effective penalty killer or a set-up man with the man advantage." I never heard of these talents before.

waltdetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:51 PM
hipreplacement12

I think Tartar is going to turn out to be a great player. i've viewed some of his youtube videos and hes got some skills. I'd like to see the organization push Brendan Smith to a handful of starts this year (like they did with Eriksson a few years back). Only time will tell.

hipreplacement12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:53 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltdetroit View Post
Nyquist is listed as a center in the article, a position he never played in college. I wonder if the writer ever saw him play or did any real research. I have to take the following quote about Nyquist with a grain of salt "Nyquist excels at puck pursuit and has proven to be a very capable special team’s player as either an effective penalty killer or a set-up man with the man advantage." I never heard of these talents before.
Really??? Two out of three of those abilities are quite prominent in his game. He definitely has a good motor on him and he's definitely quite a capable set up man. Though, I've never heard anyone say that he's an excellent PK guy. In fact, I think it was his coach who said his defense won't really be all that great or that it wasn't really his thing.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 09:01 PM
waltdetroit

Didn't know the puck pursuit nor PK. I thought he best carried the puck. I did know he is a great assist/set up guy. I haven't seen him very much & you're right about what his coach said. His D is a work in progress

Old
09-08-2011, 09:19 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
"When he loses the puck, he chases like crazy to get it back, and when he has the puck, his feet are always moving." -Hakan Andersson

http://www.redwingscentral.com/prosp...ustav-nyquist/
That was from RWC's initial scouting report on him and it's still there today. The Maine news or whatever had an awesome article on him and I'm trying to find it.

Old
09-08-2011, 09:27 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

The PK comment is based more on the fact that he could use his speed/skating ability and good puck pursuit (meaning, when he wants the puck, he makes sure he gets it) to earn PK ice time. Those are usually good qualities for penalty killers.

Old
09-08-2011, 09:35 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
“He has a high level of ability,” said Northeastern coach Greg Cronin. “He’ll go in, stop, cut back and keep going. Just like [Hobey Baker Award winner Paul] Kariya did. He has a lot of talent with the puck, particularly in tight areas. It’s like trying to catch a fly with a skinny fly-swatter.

“He’s really quick and he has a lot of poise with the puck. That saucer pass he made [to House] was a big-time play by him. He has a lot of vision,”
Cronin added.

Merrimack College coach Mark Dennehy said Nyquist reminds him “a little bit of [Pavel] Datsyuk and [Henrik] Zetterberg” who play for the defending Stanley Cup champion Detroit Red Wings.

“He is an exceptionally-skilled hockey player,” said Dennehy. “I watched that overtime game against Northeastern and he was the best player on the ice. He doesn’t pass indiscriminately. If a guy is open, he gives it to him.”

Dennehy added that Nyquist is much more than just a playmaker.

“He’ll take the puck to the net and look to score. His stats are balanced. He’s an all-around hockey player who will also take the body,” said Dennehy.

Maine associate head coach Bob Corkum, a veteran of 720 NHL games, said Nyquist “obviously has God-given talent but what separates him from other people is he competes every single shift.”

Fellow associate head coach Dan Kerluke agreed and pointed out that Nyquist is also an effective penalty killer who is willing to “block shots.

“He’s a complete player,” said Kerluke. “He’s going to be a very important player for us the next few years.”

Maine head coach Tim Whitehead said one of the best parts of Nyquist’s game is his “ability to play in traffic.

“He’ll go into any situation with courage and win the puck. After he wins the puck, he’s able to separate himself from traffic which is a great trait to have,” added Whitehead.
December 25, 2008

http://bangordailynews.com/2008/12/2...r-black-bears/

Not the one I was looking for but it's still a good one.

Old
09-08-2011, 09:42 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Good quotes. Thanks for sharing.

It is going to be interesting how Nyquist's game translates to the pro game in GR. He did pretty well in his 9 game stint last year.

Old
09-09-2011, 05:45 AM
waltdetroit

Yes, thanks. Ny-Q is has awesomer skills than I thought, & I liked him a lot.