HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Morning games

Old
09-08-2011, 09:40 AM
MM658

vCash: 500
Morning games

Looking over the master league schedule, there seems to be a lot of pre-Noon starts. Not just 1 or 2 teams, either -- lots of cities involved.

All of them are mid-week. I assume those are school vacation weeks or something like that.

I knew Bridgeport does one or two a year, but was surprised to see how many take place league-wide.

Any idea what the reasoning is behind these?

Wed. Nov 2 - CT @ BPort 11am
Tue. Nov 8 - Chi @ Hamilton 10am
Tue. Nov 8 - Toronto @ OKC 10:30am
Wed. Nov 9 - Port @ Manchester 11am
Tue. Nov 15 - Abbotsford @ SA 11:30am
Tue. Jan 24 - Milw @ Peoria 11am
Tue. Feb 7 - SA @ Hamilton 10am
Wed. Feb 8 - Roch @ Toronto 11am
Wed. Feb 15 - Texas @ Lk E 10:45am
Tue. Feb 28 - Worc @ CT 11am
Tue. Mar 6 - Manch @ Port 11am
Wed. Mar 7 - Bing @ Toronto 11am
Wed. Mar 21 - Lk E @ Toronto 11am
Wed. Mar 28 - Roch @ Albany 11:30am
Wed. Apr 4 - Spfld @ BPort 11am

MM658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 09:57 AM
pelts35.com

Typically these are "school day games" where local schools go to the games as field trips.

From a business perspective, what better way to fill the seats for midweek games but with busloads of kids.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 10:16 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I'm not surprised to see Hamilton do this twice, as it was a huge success last season with the school day game vs the Moose.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 12:32 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Typically these are "school day games" where local schools go to the games as field trips.

From a business perspective, what better way to fill the seats for midweek games but with busloads of kids.
Very true. An independent league baseball team I used to work for specifically did this once for one of their earlier starts as a summer camp day, and it was by far the busiest day of the year for them, other than a special doubleheader they had with a celebrity softball game. Makes sense that some teams would try to take advantage of that and do the same thing, especially if it creates a few hundred or a few thousand kids that want to go back again at a later date with their parents.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 01:29 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Lol. notice how Toronto, Hamilton and BPort are all having multiple games?

These are good ideas because you will likely fill the place. It would be better than a regular weekday crowd. Two of these games combined would draw better than possibly one midweek night game.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:13 PM
MM658

Interesting! Thanks for the replies. I assumed they were school vacations, but actually just the opposite.

Our tax dollars at work -- sending our kids to a hockey game on a school day rather than, oh, I dunno, educating them?

MM658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 09:03 PM
WolfKeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM658 View Post
Interesting! Thanks for the replies. I assumed they were school vacations, but actually just the opposite.

Our tax dollars at work -- sending our kids to a hockey game on a school day rather than, oh, I dunno, educating them?
Dunno about the other cities, but Chicago puts out a workbook and instructional materials for the teachers. The school district I work for have teachers that definitely make it a learning experience.

WolfKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 09:34 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper View Post
Dunno about the other cities, but Chicago puts out a workbook and instructional materials for the teachers. The school district I work for have teachers that definitely make it a learning experience.
I will guess that you don't work for the schools in the city of Chicago. Good for the schools that try and teach something. Definitely a lot of physics in hockey. A little geometry too.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 05:15 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I will guess that you don't work for the schools in the city of Chicago. Good for the schools that try and teach something. Definitely a lot of physics in hockey. A little geometry too.
Interesting note. I have a friend with a Master's in physics. He and I have some very interesting discussions when we are watching games. Although it has led to some of my better plays during a game because I get to thinking about the things we discussed and how I can use them. My board play and passing have become much better because of these discussions. Maybe I should record our discussions and sell them to those teams to distribute to the teachers. I could use some extra cash.

Last edited by Solution: 09-09-2011 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar
Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 07:52 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

The games in Bridgeport have similar things going on. During stoppages in play, the PA announcer directs the children to mark off certain things and answer questions in a workbook they are provided. I'm pretty sure most places do this.

It's funny that people complain about things when if they had them when they were kids they would have been psyched! I know I would have.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 09:07 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Last year Milwaukee had a morning game in Toronto. Nothing was better than listening to that on the radio and during every break you could hear thousands of screaming kids at the top of their lungs.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 04:50 AM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

From the Rampage site:

Cool School: Student Education Day

Teachers and School Administrators- Don’t miss this unique opportunity for your students: Rampage Cool School Student Education Day on Thursday, November 15, 2011!

This educational experience for your classroom will be a unique, interactive and fun field trip for you and your students! A Rampage student workbook and in-game elements combine to provide students support for TAKS testing in an unforgettable way. Healthy lunch options are also available.

Get more information of this unique opportunity by filling out the online form found here today! Ready. Set. Rampage!

Apparently during stoppages and such, the Rampage staff talk about certain things that would be found in the workbook to help kids, though I'm unsure on specifics. I also know of at least one HS who took a physics group to a game, though it was regular time.

The Heat always seem to be the morning game, they may also be the MLK day opponent as well.

KaylaJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 11:34 AM
sabrefan27

Boy I'm glad the Amerks never had one, and seem to not have any plans for one. Season ticket holders would raise quite a stink.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 01:08 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
From the Rampage site:

Cool School: Student Education Day

Teachers and School Administrators- Donít miss this unique opportunity for your students: Rampage Cool School Student Education Day on Thursday, November 15, 2011!

This educational experience for your classroom will be a unique, interactive and fun field trip for you and your students! A Rampage student workbook and in-game elements combine to provide students support for TAKS testing in an unforgettable way. Healthy lunch options are also available.

Get more information of this unique opportunity by filling out the online form found here today! Ready. Set. Rampage!

Apparently during stoppages and such, the Rampage staff talk about certain things that would be found in the workbook to help kids, though I'm unsure on specifics. I also know of at least one HS who took a physics group to a game, though it was regular time.

The Heat always seem to be the morning game, they may also be the MLK day opponent as well.
See I sort of disagree over the educational thing, yeah there probavly is stuff in there but given the physical nature of Hockey it's almost like taking the kid to a Rated R movie.

Old
09-10-2011, 02:31 PM
RFA

River Rats did a good job with publishing a workbook for elementary kids. Most of it was actually geography, with players coming from all over the world. There was a good amount of math with the stats, height and weight, etc. There were talks given before the game and maybe during intermissions (possibly after also) to HS kids about management, the legal stuff, sales, etc.- must have been business law or maybe a sports management class.

From what I remember, there were quite a few city schools, then a few that had to travel an hour or so. Not much from the closer suburbs. It was a different atmosphere for sure, very loud with all the kids getting into it. And it was wierd how many STH were sick or had a doctors appt that day........

Devils are giving it a shot this year, the NYS teachers union is involved somehow.

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 03:40 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
given the physical nature of Hockey it's almost like taking the kid to a Rated R movie.
I think you're stretching it just a little bit.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I think you're stretching it just a little bit.
Not even a PG movie!!!

I know the Wolves are active with the schools and such. They had french speaking players go to french classes at various high schools, German speaking to german classes, etc.

Tommy Hawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:27 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFA View Post
River Rats did a good job with publishing a workbook for elementary kids. Most of it was actually geography, with players coming from all over the world. There was a good amount of math with the stats, height and weight, etc. There were talks given before the game and maybe during intermissions (possibly after also) to HS kids about management, the legal stuff, sales, etc.- must have been business law or maybe a sports management class.

From what I remember, there were quite a few city schools, then a few that had to travel an hour or so. Not much from the closer suburbs. It was a different atmosphere for sure, very loud with all the kids getting into it. And it was wierd how many STH were sick or had a doctors appt that day........

Devils are giving it a shot this year, the NYS teachers union is involved somehow.
Ahh, what a smart thing to do. A state that is already broke and is laying a bunch of teachers off, yes....lets take our students to see a hockey game, somehow financially it is a good idea. Wait a minute.....how a state that won that race to the top or whatever it was for education purposes is having issues in that deparment is beyond me.....kind of off the topic but I couldn't leave that comment alone.

Old
09-11-2011, 09:24 AM
RFA

Keep in mind that NYSUT is not a state agency, it's funded by union dues and donations.

USually the trip would be funded by the PTA or other organization, again not with money from a public source.

It's more likely that the Entertainment book or magazine that you bought from the neighborhood kid's fundraiser is paying for the trip, rather than public funds.

The waste of time complaint would probably be the most valid in my opinion. I've been a teacher for over 10 years. I'd say that the way the Rats ran the day, it was more "educational" than at least half of the field trips we've been on.

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote