HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins sign Richard Park

Old
09-08-2011, 05:26 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

vCash: 500
Sweeet.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Hizaki
Taylor Swift 1989 :)

I like it...perhaps I'll be able to get my Korean colleagues to go see a Pens game this season

Hizaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
People negative about signing Park have really solidified my belief that no one on HFboards really watches games outside of their own team.

Park plays very similarly to Talbot and is very versatile with playing any position as a forward. I always thought he was one of the most underrated PK forwards in the NHL and one of the best ones at it. Seeing him with the likes of Adams, Staal, Dupuis, Cooke, etc on the PK is an extra added benefit. Plus, this guy is a great locker room guy and is $550k on a 2 way deal.

I'd take this signing everyday of the week for the past few years. Park's only issue is that he played for a terrible team with little visibility outside of Long Island. This guy gives his all very much like Adams does.

You can't go wrong with this. Rumor was that the Pens were looking at bringing him in the organization to be a coach in the future.
I'm not negative on Park as a player. I don't want to see him make the team because if he's on it then the team is having injury issues and/or Tangradi isn't getting NHL minutes.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:47 PM
JTG

No one is negative about the signing, but it is what it is. You're not sending guys you just signed to term, one way deals, or young promising players who are at similar numbers to Park down to the minors. It makes absolutely no sense.

No one is saying he isn't an NHL player, or saying he won't be an asset. They are saying that there just isn't room here (not even room, but the numbers don't work for him).

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:49 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

I'm ok with the signing if someone isn't ready and he is needed, but if he is taking a spot away from a youngster that is ready, then I am slightly annoyed by this signing.

If Jeffrey isn't ready yet then I see Park as the 4th line anchor and Letestu moves up to the 3rd line where he might be better suited instead of being in a "grinder" situation on the 4th line or what not.

I like the idea of a Cooke-Letestu-Dupuis line while Jeffrey continues to get closer to a 100%. A line of Asham, Park, Adams might not be that bad. Park was becoming a decent bottom 6 contributor with the Islanders before he left for Europe, which was kind of interesting to begin with, a serviceable bottom 6 guy that put up 25-30pts wasn't wanted? That part kind of worries me.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I'm not negative on Park as a player. I don't want to see him make the team because if he's on it then the team is having injury issues and/or Tangradi isn't getting NHL minutes.
Tangradi and Park are two different players. If Tangradi can't make the team because of Park, he has other issues.

Park is simply a 4th line player who is a killer PKer. Tangradi isn't either of those. If Tangradi is playing the 4th line, he needs to be back in WBS.

With his two way contract and Kunitz, Neal, and Cooke ahead of him on the left side, and Sullivan, Dupuis, Kennedy ahead of him on the right side, Tangradi has more problems than Park.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:56 PM
dogthateats

we obviously signed park to replace cooke after matt's first suspension of the season

dogthateats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:57 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Tangradi has this year to really round out his game and be ready for a call-up and prove he's capable of being an NHL regular. I'm not worried about him like a lot of people seem to be. I don't think it's a do or die year for him either. There is no rush for him to crack the roster right now, as everyone has pointed out, the team has a lot of experienced players ahead of him that are ready to contribute now and for the success of the team right now.

Tangradi will benefit from more time in the AHL to really truly dominate in that league and be that bull in a china shop we all know he can be, he will get his call-ups since injuries are apart of the game or if he plays like he really doesn't belong in the AHL anymore.

I do like the Park signing because of the players the Penguins lost this off season that were apart of the PK team (mostly Talbot).

Old
09-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

what's the point of this? isn't there already a logjam in the bottom six?

this just means that he or another quality nhler will play in the AHL. which i think is pretty wasteful and dumb.

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
what's the point of this? isn't there already a logjam in the bottom six?

this just means that he or another quality nhler will play in the AHL. which i think is pretty wasteful and dumb.
more depth is good.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Now this is a blast from the past. Who says our 2nd round picks never make it? Brings at lot of experience and versatility, great skater, can play all forward positions, two-way player, can kill penalties. Good depth signing.

Park had two years remaining with Geneva of the NLA before both sides dissolved the contract last week. He must believe he has a real chance at making the big Pens. Considering he had three 30+ points seasons on Long Island before going to Switzerland, maybe he does.
very decent pk with speed and little offense. maybe a replacement for Dupuis....

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 06:29 PM
clefty
What?

Some guy posting in the comments section of JB's blog called this about two months ago. And not just a prediction, but said things were in motion to make it happen, that Richard Park asked his Swiss team for a release wanting to head back to North America, with Pittsburgh/Wilkes-Barre his preferred spot. Kudos to that guy.

We're logjammed everywhere in the organization already, but I don't mind because I love Richard Park.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
It's bad news for Letestu, though. Park can easily beat him out of a job, imo. Also bad news for Jeffrey and Tangradi from a numbers perspective.
lol, no, he won't.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
lol, no, he won't.
They don't even play the same position...

Letestu's job is no less safe today than it was yesterday. Letestu is a third line center playing a fourth line role, and the whole him being one of the best faceoff guys in the league as a rookie thing doesn't need to be brought out considering Park is a winger.

If Letestu was to be moved to wing, which would be stupid in my opinion, it would be for a more prominent role (say third line instead of fourth)...a role Richard Park won't be fulfilling any time soon.

Park is depth. He's going to be a great asset to have once injuries hit, and they will hit at some point. The only people he's competing with for work are other vets with two-way deals (namely Williams).

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 06:56 PM
JTG

We do have some pretty awesome depth this season.

Old
09-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I love it. Baby Pens fans got to as well.

Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:15 PM
mashsoccer37

Was he the one that scored a 3v5 goal against us?

mashsoccer37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
This is what they'll need because of everyone that's in limbo.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:27 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

After the way last season went, are people really complaining about depth?

Old
09-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

vCash: 50
I don't understand why people are mad about this. It's a 2 way deal, so it's not even really important. Judging by how last season went, we should welcome any and all depth signings...

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:42 PM
JTG

And not just depth signings, but signings who are NHL PLAYERS. None of this NHL/AHL tweener stuff. Both Williams and Park represent legitimate NHL options. Also have some NHL options on the blueline.

Old
09-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
And not just depth signings, but signings who are NHL PLAYERS. None of this NHL/AHL tweener stuff. Both Williams and Park represent legitimate NHL options. Also have some NHL options on the blueline.
Exactly.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Tangradi and Park are two different players. If Tangradi can't make the team because of Park, he has other issues.

Park is simply a 4th line player who is a killer PKer. Tangradi isn't either of those. If Tangradi is playing the 4th line, he needs to be back in WBS.

With his two way contract and Kunitz, Neal, and Cooke ahead of him on the left side, and Sullivan, Dupuis, Kennedy ahead of him on the right side, Tangradi has more problems than Park.
I'm completely aware of how Tangradi and Park differ.

The Penguins have 12 forwards on 1 way deals plus Jeffrey who is, IMO, a lock for an NHL roster spot. Assuming Crosby is out for a while that means 1 guy on a 2 way deal is making the team out of camp.

Putting Tangradi in a top nine role is easy if he's NHL ready. Cooke and Dupuis are guys that can slide down into a 4th line role. My fear is that the extra 4th line guy give Bylsma an excuse to superglue Dupuis to the top six again.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Park is fast, good defensively, and both hit 30 points and won 51.5 of his face-offs (as an RH shot) in his last NHL season, and people are complaining that we signed him to a league minimum two-way deal?

Will wonders never cease.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Fraction Jackson

I feel like this means we're looking towards trading someone (or multiple someones). That would make things less of a logjam. Letestu, Jeffrey, Tangradi would be candidates to be moved in that case. What for? No idea. Maybe a package with one of them and another player for a top-6 forward type. Maybe one of them + Niskanen for a more suitable 3rd-pairing D. Maybe Shero doesn't have anything in mind in particular, but wants to have options if a trade does come up.

Alternately, maybe Shero just decided he wanted another NHL-caliber forward in case Sid misses a lot of time, and Jeffrey's recovery ends up slowing as well.. In that case we might see something like this:

Neal-Malkin-Sullivan
Kunitz-Staal-Kennedy
Cooke-Letestu-Dupuis
Park-Adams-Asham
MacIntyre, Williams

I mean, that forward corps still looks pretty nice. Depth is always good. Having two guys like Park and Asham on the 4th line who actually have a little bit of skill to go with their grinder-ness is very nice as well.

Fraction Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote