HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins sign Richard Park

Old
09-09-2011, 12:19 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=JTG;36553377]Well, my response to you is that we have Crosby who can score 50, Malkin who I think everyone believes has 50 in him, Neal can be in the 28-30, Kunitz can be in the 25-27 (maybe more), Staal has some goals left in him...maybe around 25, Kennedy can score 20, I think Sullivan still has 20 in him, Letestu, Jeffrey, Dupuis, and Cooke can all score in the mid-upper teens. I mean, it's not like we're hurting for goal scoring. We just don't score flashy goals.

Style points don't win you ****.

I agree, I just think a little tweaking could lead to almost all of those guys hitting those numbers. Right now I won't be shocked at all if people are freaking out because someone like neal only has 7 goals by christmas. That's how the team plays, and again I don't think trying to score on the rush equals not backchecking.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 12:35 PM
mpp9

Dear Cassius,

We lost the Montreal Series b/c Fleury sucked and Halak had the postseason of his career. We did lack secondary scoring but Sid and Geno had their chances throughout the series, they were just robbed. It happens. Can't win every year. With the additions of Sullivan and Neal, as well as TK's potential emergence as a legit top six forward, we're fine on the wing.

We lost to tampa in game 7 by 1 goal without Sid or Geno. Dont know what else to say. We weren't going to go far last season.

Geno is the answer to get Neal going for now. Those two are capable of carrying our offense with Kunitz-Staal-Kennedy being solid secondary scorers for us. When Sid's back, we should have no issues minus another top 4 capable D-man and possibly another RW if sullivan/kennedy go down with injury.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 12:48 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Dear Cassius,

We lost the Montreal Series b/c Fleury sucked and Halak had the postseason of his career. We did lack secondary scoring but Sid and Geno had their chances throughout the series, they were just robbed. It happens. Can't win every year. With the additions of Sullivan and Neal, as well as TK's potential emergence as a legit top six forward, we're fine on the wing.

We lost to tampa in game 7 by 1 goal without Sid or Geno. Dont know what else to say. We weren't going to go far last season.

Geno is the answer to get Neal going for now. Those two are capable of carrying our offense with Kunitz-Staal-Kennedy being solid secondary scorers for us. When Sid's back, we should have no issues minus another top 4 capable D-man and possibly another RW if sullivan/kennedy go down with injury.
I know that is a popular story around these boards, but I would challenge you to step outside of that framework and look at things different.

Halak isn't Patrick Roy.. he is an average goaltender at best. Montreal's defense that year wasn't great either. When you pepper goalies with weak shots from the perimeter and have no scoring depth, any goalie looks like a world beater.

Posessing the puck is wayyyy different than keeping a goalie on the heels, generating traffic in front of the net, and creating quality scoring opportunities. I think a lot of folks around here get those two mixed up.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Halak isn't Patrick Roy.. he is an average goaltender at best. When you pepper goalies with weak shots from the perimeter and have no scoring depth, any goalie looks like a world beater.

Posessing the puck is wayyyy different than keeping a goalie on the heels, generating traffic in front of the net, and creating quality scoring opportunities. I think a lot of folks around here get those two mixed up.
Halak was definitely a 'world beater' against Washington just days prior to facing Pittsburgh. That Capitals team was pretty much the apex of the playing style you're advocating. I think it's safe to say Halak looked great because he played great.

Jeff Goldblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 01:03 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldblum View Post
Halak was definitely a 'world beater' against Washington just days prior to facing Pittsburgh. That Capitals team was pretty much the apex of the playing style you're advocating. I think it's safe to say Halak looked great because he played great.
Can't read too much into that. The Caps coasted into that #1 seed and they definitely weren't prepared for playoff hockey (a recurring theme with them). The Caps getting bounced early in the post-season never surprises me.

Any goalie is gonna look great when you are making it easy on them. Roloson/Halak are both average, but our offensive ineptitude made them look much better than they actually were. At some points during the Tampa series, it didn't look like Roloson was even trying out there. Tons of weak shots from the perimeter.. and plenty of botched scoring chances.

Old
09-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Doesn't help that he's looked about 25 for the last ten years.
In that rookie card shot he literally looks like he's 11 years old. Like seriously... someone put a 5th grader on the ice. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution View Post
I am glad to see Park back with the Penguins. If he is truly being groomed as a coach, who is anticipated as the next guy out of the organization? Granato?
An interesting thought; is Park considered to be a "cerebral" guy / student of the game? Even if he is it would be a good bet he'd start in Wheeling or WBS. He definitely will not displace Granato, who despite whatever flaws he's had, has head coaching and assistant coaching experience in the NHL. That trumps anything Park might have for now. Even coaching and failing and learning from that, is more valuable than a good mind who has never coached (at this level).

Also, your name is spelled incorrectly. It's "Solushun."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
This isn't a slight on Richard Park at all, because I like him and I like the addition. But when is a lot of checkers/grinders too many checkers/grinders? Because there is such a thing, contrary to popular belief.

Everybody is looking at the roster and talking about the depth. Yeah, we're deep. Let's talk about scoring depth, though. Crosby played half the season and led the team in points by 16, in goals by nine. He played 41 games. Our second-leading scorer was a defenseman, albeit a very good one in Letang.
This is pretty much undeniable I'd say. Our scoring depth though, is much better now than it was the start of last year if you discount Sid's initial absence. It's not where it should be, but it's better at least.

Neal is a legit 60 point guy, Sully is legit scoring depth and Williams could be if he is putting serious work in this summer and is seriously looking to turn his career around (i.e. he has the talent to add scoring depth if he doesn't start dogging it at some point - his problem is reliability not skill). Also a full season of Asham is going to add some modest scoring depth to the bottom six. If Letestu plays 4C all year I can almost guarantee he'll outproduce Talbot's typical regular season numbers... so I think we're OK but you're right that people confuse depth with scoring depth sometimes.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Washington 'coasted' into the post-season because they were scoring an insane number of goals and had incredible depth in 20-goal scorers. They made it hard on every goaltender in the league to the tune of 3.82 goals per game. You can't just brush that off and ignore it; this is real evidence that contradicts the point of view you're attempting to defend.

Jeff Goldblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 01:10 PM
mpp9

Quote:
I know that is a popular story around these boards, but I would challenge you to step outside of that framework and look at things different.

Halak isn't Patrick Roy.. he is an average goaltender at best. Montreal's defense that year wasn't great either. When you pepper goalies with weak shots from the perimeter and have no scoring depth, any goalie looks like a world beater.

Neal is the best winger we've had here since Hossa. Malkin will get the best out of him.

Sullivan will be a great addition on the RW as a third wheel on the top line. He will be an even greater addition as a RH shot threat on the PP.

And I think you forget we haven't had a healthy Malkin since 09. He's the X factor for our offense. When he's on, the team will thrive. When Sid's back at full health, we'll have the two best players in the league with proper linemates for them.

Old
09-09-2011, 01:15 PM
cassius

Quote:
Washington 'coasted' into the post-season because they were scoring an insane number of goals and had incredible depth in 20-goal scorers. They made it hard on every goaltender in the league to the tune of 3.82 goals per game. You can't just brush that off and ignore it; this is real evidence that contradicts the point of view you're attempting to defend.
We all know that regular season hockey and playoff hockey are completely different animals. Caps definitely built for the former. Their defense that season was laughable.

Last edited by cassius: 09-09-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old
09-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Florentino Ariza

Doesn't change the fact that the penguins and capitals lost the exact same way to the canadiens. The very fact the caps lost to mtl was a miracle in and of itself, especially if you watched game seven.

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 01:44 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Hammer meet nail.

Sometimes in the playoffs, you just run into a hot goalie. There's nothing you can do about it.

Personally, I really like how our team is built for the playoffs. Fast, gritty forwards and mobile puck-moving D, and a solid goaltender. If we're healthy going into the playoffs I feel very confident.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 01:49 PM
mpp9

Quote:
We all know that regular season hockey and playoff hockey are completely different animals. Caps definitely built for the former. Their defense that season was laughable.
So you'd like us to have the offensive depth of the Caps so we can score on future hot goalies in the playoffs. You fail to mention that the Caps couldn't put up more than a single goal in the last three games against Montreal. Halak played out of his mind.

You can't have everything in a cap world my friend. Our winger depth with a healthy Sid/Geno/Staal and our top 4 D is the most balanced roster in the league imo.

Old
09-09-2011, 01:51 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
So you're admitting that the style of offence you're advocating for doesn't work in the playoffs now?

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 02:08 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
So you're admitting that the style of offence you're advocating for doesn't work in the playoffs now?
Not at all - I simply said that Caps team was built to pile up points in the regular season. Their defense was garbage and definitely not built for the rigors of the post-season. I think you read into that way too much.

All I'm saying is that secondary scoring is critical for success in the playoffs. The past two playoff runs it simply hasn't come through for us.

Quote:
So you'd like us to have the offensive depth of the Caps so we can score on future hot goalies in the playoffs. You fail to mention that the Caps couldn't put up more than a single goal in the last three games against Montreal. Halak played out of his mind.

You can't have everything in a cap world my friend. Our winger depth with a healthy Sid/Geno/Staal and our top 4 D is the most balanced roster in the league imo.
I would just like to see a focus on talented players who can put pucks in the back of the net. There comes a time when you just have way too many grinders.

Old
09-09-2011, 02:17 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Not at all - I simply said that Caps team was built to pile up points in the regular season. Their defense was garbage.

All I'm saying is that secondary scoring is critical for success in the playoffs. The past two playoff runs it simply hasn't come through for us.
Secondary scoring is critical. Against Montreal, we had a crap Fleury, average defense and went against the best goaltending performance through two rounds that I've seen in several years.

Against Tampa, our secondary scoring in years past became our primary scoring. Our bottom six produced like a top six. Staal was robbed all series and Letestu was playing outside of his ability.

Old
09-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Fraction Jackson

Quote:
+1

Go watch the last two series against Montreal / Tampa if you STILL don't think our offense is a problem. Watching our offense try to score goals during the playoffs was like watching Ray Charles trying to play a game of Jenga.

Just.

Absolutely

Brutal.

When are folks going to accept that we have a serious problem generating offense in crunch time? We've bowed out 2 years in a row because we couldn't put pucks in the back of the net. Plain and simple.

You look across the league at some top teams and our scoring depth doesn't even come close.
The problem is that you can't just magic up legitimate top six forwards. They have to come from somewhere, whether that's FA or trade. If you go the FA route, in the current market you're going to have to spend a ton of money to attract guys who are only 2nd line quality at best, and cap space isn't something we have in abundance when everyone is healthy. If you go the trade route, any option is going to cost a lot in assets.

So either way you slice it, it's not just as simple as saying "hey we need more scoring forwards" and just getting some. There are tons of considerations.

Now, are there ways we could have found more money? Sure. We could have let Dupuis go, and not re-signed Cooke back when that was a consideration, either. Replacing them with guys near the minimum (like Park and Asham, who...let's be honest, aren't exactly all that much different when they're on their game) would save around $2m. But then, what does that really get you in this market? Not a whole lot. And there's not a whole lot of other savings to be had, so in reality there's only so much you can do to find room for extra scoring depth.

Like it or not, with our current core locked up (Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury, Michalek, Martin, Orpik, Letang) at the prices they are, depth on the wings is going to be a little hard to come by. That's just how it is. If we want scoring depth, we need to focus on either getting bargain FAs, developing from within, or acquiring younger talent on decent contracts. We've done some of the latter (Neal, Tangradi), and we're attempting to do the second (Bennett, Kuhnhackl, Jeffrey, Letestu, Kennedy). And we've tried to do the first (Comrie, Sullivan) but past attempts have not worked. We'll see how it works this year.

In the long run this might change: if Despres, Bortuzzo, Strait, Morrow and others all start showing signs of being ready, maybe one of our current D gets moved. Maybe one or more of those guys gets shipped out for someone. There are options in the long run.

But for the time being, there just isn't too much that can be done. And honestly, I think what we have can make it work regardless.

Fraction Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 02:43 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I agree, I just think a little tweaking could lead to almost all of those guys hitting those numbers. Right now I won't be shocked at all if people are freaking out because someone like neal only has 7 goals by christmas. That's how the team plays, and again I don't think trying to score on the rush equals not backchecking.
Well, the tweaking that's going to be done is inevitable. Neal being in the lineup is a big tweak. Trying Staalkin could potentially be another one.

We do score goals off the rush. A lot of them. That's how we play hockey. DB isn't MT, so I'm not sure where that's coming from. The style we watch here is about as fast as you're going to get in this league. We just don't have the danglers that guys like Washington have, mainly because we can't afford them.

Last edited by JTG: 09-09-2011 at 02:52 PM.
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 02:50 PM
mpp9

If Staal produces in his spot as 2C this year, I'd like to see us build around Neal-Sid and Staal-Malkin in our top six. Surrounding the two best players in the world with the best linemates they've ever had is what I want moving forward.

Old
09-09-2011, 04:02 PM
JTG

And if it did work...

Neal (~4.0) - Crosby (8.7) - Kennedy (2.0)
Free Agent - Staal (4.0) - Malkin (8.7)
Jeffrey (0.575) - Letestu (0.625) - Dupuis (1.5)
Cooke (1.8) - Vitale (0.512) - Adams (0.625)

Orpik (3.75) - Letang (3.5)
Martin (5.0) - Michalek (4.0)
Despres (0.840) - Lovejoy (0.550)
Engelland (0.550)

Fleury (5.0)
Johnson (0.600) or Theissen

That'd leave us about 7.4 with no cap bump for that free agent. We obviously couldn't use that whole amount because we will need that space very soon with our big guys needing extensions, but no matter how you look at it...it's a sizable amount to bring in a difference maker at wing.

REALLY don't want to make this a Staalkin debate, but just showing what happens if it does work out and is a long term solution.

Old
09-09-2011, 04:16 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
And if it did work...

Neal (~4.0) - Crosby (8.7) - Kennedy (2.0)
Free Agent - Staal (4.0) - Malkin (8.7)
Jeffrey (0.575) - Letestu (0.625) - Dupuis (1.5)
Cooke (1.8) - Vitale (0.512) - Adams (0.625)

Orpik (3.75) - Letang (3.5)
Martin (5.0) - Michalek (4.0)
Despres (0.840) - Lovejoy (0.550)
Engelland (0.550)

Fleury (5.0)
Johnson (0.600) or Theissen

That'd leave us about 7.4 with no cap bump for that free agent. We obviously couldn't use that whole amount because we will need that space very soon with our big guys needing extensions, but no matter how you look at it...it's a sizable amount to bring in a difference maker at wing.

REALLY don't want to make this a Staalkin debate, but just showing what happens if it does work out and is a long term solution.
And that's assuming Jeffrey or Tangradi don't prove they can be on that 2nd line left side, I'd say Shero is sitting pretty with a roster like that.

I mean, I wouldn't hate it at all if the lines ended up like this, assuming Jeffrey builds on his stint last year and converts to wing with ease and is a better option in that 2nd line LW slot, it adds size and grit to that 3rd line with Tangradi there as well...

Neal, Crosby, Kennedy
Jeffrey, Staal, Malkin
Tangradi, Letestu, Dupuis
Cooke, Vitale, Adams

Orpik, Letang
Martin, Michalek
Despres, Lovejoy
Engelland

Fleury
Johnson/Thiessen

It gives Shero a ton of cap space to be a big player at the deadline.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 05:04 PM
JTG

Or we could just sign Parise to a long term deal, and call it a free agency

I am by no stretch a dreamer, or play those games typically, but if there were any way to get Parise in a Penguins sweater, along with Neal, bringing two of my favorite players in the league on my team...I'd believe in 2012, because watching my final hockey games with a team like that would be a great send off.

Old
09-09-2011, 05:23 PM
mpp9

Quote:

I am by no stretch a dreamer, or play those games typically, but if there were any way to get Parise in a Penguins sweater, along with Neal, bringing two of my favorite players in the league on my team...I'd believe in 2012, because watching my final hockey games with a team like that would be a great send off.
Your final hockey games?

Are you referring to the end of the season or something else?

Old
09-09-2011, 05:24 PM
JTG

Quote:
Your final hockey games?

Are you referring to the end of the season or something else?
2012...end of the world

Old
09-09-2011, 05:34 PM
mpp9

Quote:
2012...end of the world
In that case. I'd also be fine with adding Crosby and Parise at or near the trade deadline to an already cup contender, watching that team in the playoffs, and then watching the world end.

Old
09-09-2011, 05:48 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:

How much would the HFBoards hate us Pens fans if Parise signed with the Pens and the Pens didn't have to give up anyone to make room for him in the off season? Lol.

I'd love it, I'm no big dreamer either but you just never know. Parise has seen enough of the Pens, he knows what they are all about...if Shero contacted him if Parise wanted to test the market, who the hell knows? Right?

Right?

Parise, Crosby, Kennedy - this line would drive teams insane and dominate them in the offensive and defensive zone all game long.
Neal, Staal, Malkin - this line would then come out and crush their hopes and dreams after facing that top line, the final nail in the coffin for the other team.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote