HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2017 Big Men

Old
04-28-2017, 05:44 AM
Brock Radunske
안양종합운동장 빙상장

vCash: 742
2017 Big Men

Has anyone watch Hague and Foote enough to form a good opinion or comparison of them?

Are they looking like potential top-4 stalwarts or are they going to be newer versions of Schenn/Aulie/Stanley?

If both are available when your team is picking (assuming you need D) who would you pick?

Are there any dark horse defensemen in the 2nd half of the 1st round?

Brock Radunske is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2017, 05:55 AM
Lays
Godvel Beastnevich

vCash: 500
Both a tad overrated due to size, I wouldn't pick either in the top 20, they're better than Stanley but there are much better choice I'm personally more high on (Timmins, Brannstrom) Foote is a step ahead of Hague right now. Not a big fan of either but they're solid and they're pretty safe.

Lays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2017, 05:58 AM
Brock Radunske
안양종합운동장 빙상장

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lays View Post
Both a tad overrated due to size, I wouldn't pick either in the top 20, they're better than Stanley but there are much better choice I'm personally more high on (Timmins, Brannstrom) Foote is a step ahead of Hague right now. Not a big fan of either but they're solid and they're pretty safe.
I don't know much about Brannstrom but I know enough not to count out a Swedish defenseman. 5'10 makes him a tough pick, though.

For the Leafs purpose, maybe they should go with someone with higher upside. It seems that they get burned every time they take a "safe bet" in the first round. See:
Schenn, Percy, Biggs, Gauthier...

Old
04-28-2017, 08:45 AM
jnk96
@janikbeichler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Radunske View Post
I don't know much about Brannstrom but I know enough not to count out a Swedish defenseman. 5'10 makes him a tough pick, though.

For the Leafs purpose, maybe they should go with someone with higher upside. It seems that they get burned every time they take a "safe bet" in the first round. See:
Haven't seen either one play but I've talked to Future Considerations WHL Head Scout Justin Froese about Foote. He and his guys don't see the offensive upside. He has a lot of assists that kind of come automatically playing with a talented forward group like Kelowna's. Just might be getting a bit too much hype for what he'll become at the NHL level (a defence-first guy), and even still has question marks regarding his defensive play.

Don't know much about Hague, but the people I've talked to see more offensive upside in him than Foote, but not as promising defensively.

Apparently neither one's a good skater either and mobility could hold them back. Sounds like they could both end up anywhere from bottom-half of the first to early second.

jnk96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2017, 09:08 AM
Brock Radunske
안양종합운동장 빙상장

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnk96 View Post
Haven't seen either one play but I've talked to Future Considerations WHL Head Scout Justin Froese about Foote. He and his guys don't see the offensive upside. He has a lot of assists that kind of come automatically playing with a talented forward group like Kelowna's. Just might be getting a bit too much hype for what he'll become at the NHL level (a defence-first guy), and even still has question marks regarding his defensive play.

Don't know much about Hague, but the people I've talked to see more offensive upside in him than Foote, but not as promising defensively.

Apparently neither one's a good skater either and mobility could hold them back. Sounds like they could both end up anywhere from bottom-half of the first to early second.
Thanks for the info. As appealing as the thought of a huge hulking defender is, poor skating is the quickest way out of the NHL. The days of Hal Gill are certainly over.

Old
04-28-2017, 09:22 AM
lomiller1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Radunske View Post

They are both way more productive than Schenn, Percy, Biggs were which generally suggests a good amount of skill and hockey IQ to go along with their size. Footeís PPG is almost the same as Rielly in his draft year and nearly as high as Riellyís D+1. Hagueís is a good bit ahead of Nurse in his draft year.

Production isnít everything obviously but itís one of the best red flags for lack of skill, especially among D-men. People often make the mistake of thinking that this is only important for offensive defencemen, but even defensive D-men need to have a lot of skill to read the play, make a good first pass and start an effective breakout. With guys like Schenn, Percy and Biggs the lack of production suggested they had a lack of skill and/or hockey IQ to get this done in a top 4 role.

Iím not sure Hague or Foote will ever be big offensive producers, but their ability to produce in the CHL gives me confidence they will be able to make the transition plays every top 4 NHL defenseman. Offensive or defensive, needs to be able to make in the current NHL.

lomiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2017, 12:39 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomiller1 View Post
They are both way more productive than Schenn, Percy, Biggs were which generally suggests a good amount of skill and hockey IQ to go along with their size. Footeís PPG is almost the same as Rielly in his draft year and nearly as high as Riellyís D+1. Hagueís is a good bit ahead of Nurse in his draft year.

Production isnít everything obviously but itís one of the best red flags for lack of skill, especially among D-men. People often make the mistake of thinking that this is only important for offensive defencemen, but even defensive D-men need to have a lot of skill to read the play, make a good first pass and start an effective breakout. With guys like Schenn, Percy and Biggs the lack of production suggested they had a lack of skill and/or hockey IQ to get this done in a top 4 role.

Iím not sure Hague or Foote will ever be big offensive producers, but their ability to produce in the CHL gives me confidence they will be able to make the transition plays every top 4 NHL defenseman. Offensive or defensive, needs to be able to make in the current NHL.
To add to this, they're both 4th on their respective teams in point production, and lead the other dmen on the team by a significant amount (~20% between them and the next guy on the list). Unless they're each the lone dman on the top PP unit, it implies that they've got some significant level of skill there.

Skating may be an issue to some degree, but that's not always the worst issue. It seems to be more common than ever that prospects are able to improve their skating in the first couple of years after being drafted.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote