HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Help buying a new TV for Living Room

Old
09-09-2011, 03:17 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 500
Help buying a new TV for Living Room

Hello everybody, I need some advice on buying a new TV for my living room.

I currently have a 50inch old tube, garbage TV in my living room, and I thought to myself, that it's time to retire the thing.

I wanna get a minimum 60inch TV, but I am curious about a few things.

I use it mostly for TV and Sports, Wont be gaming much on it.

Should I go plasma or Led?, Or even LCD (minimum 120hz).

I looked on visions, and there were a few solid TVs out there, but I wanna keep the budget around 1700$ and under.

What do you guys suggest I should buy, and where should i buy it? (I live in Vancouver)

Thanks.

PS - I will delete this thread after a few pages of responses, Thanks VC mods =).

Lucbourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 03:27 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

60 inch for under 1700? You arent going to have much of a choice. You might be able to get a Plasma for that much.
Most of these are Plasma. One LED:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...ed6ee5faa1en02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...268e6033d6en02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...538e786ebfen02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...ac7b32330een02

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 03:31 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
60 inch for under 1700? You arent going to have much of a choice. You might be able to get a Plasma for that much.
Most of these are Plasma. One LED:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...ed6ee5faa1en02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...268e6033d6en02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...538e786ebfen02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...ac7b32330een02
What would you suggest?

Old
09-09-2011, 03:35 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003HJ5CKE/...SIN=B003HJ5CKE

can't be shipped to Canada though - but I'm sure you can find that model around somewhere in Canada.

Last edited by Bad Natey: 09-09-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 03:36 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
What would you suggest?
I'd personally stay away from the 3D tvs. I'm not a fan of them.

I have a Panasonic and a Samsung at home. Both are Plasma and both are very good. however, I've heard that Sharp is the one of the best quality TVs out there.

I'd personally go with the LG. Solid price and good quality.

Old
09-09-2011, 03:40 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
I'd personally stay away from the 3D tvs. I'm not a fan of them.

I have a Panasonic and a Samsung at home. Both are Plasma and both are very good. however, I've heard that Sharp is the one of the best quality TVs out there.

I'd personally go with the LG. Solid price and good quality.
Why is that a reason to stay away from 3D tvs? We have a 3D which my dad NEVER watches 3D. Hates it. Still loves the TV though because you don't NEED to have 3D turned on. If you can find a 3D TV for the same price or less, it's quite simply a better deal.

We've had a Sharp, Dynex, Soyo, and Mitsubishi. Honestly, the Sharp looks the best but the amount of difference, IMO, isn't worth the difference in price. It's not THAT big of difference. I personally love my cheap-ass Dynex, it does everything perfectly. The speakers are very loud and pretty damn good quality for a TV that is a 1 1/2 years old and ~$298.

Anyway, that Mitsubishi TV is an absolute steal. We paid that much for the 65" version, without 3D (8 inches + 3D for the same price is ridiculous).

Edited the link since this one is even cheaper!

Old
09-09-2011, 03:40 AM
FloydTheBarber

Save your money, go with openbox.ca

http://openbox.ca/tv.htm

SONY 60NX801 60" LED
1080P/240HZ
$1799.99

Only a $100 over your budget. Don't waste your money at bestbuy or visions. Openbox is not defected TV's, it's just TV's (or other electronics) that were returned within around 10 days from purchase that the buyer couldn't afford (credit), or changed their mind (too big, too small, wife said take it back). You can inspect everyone from the store, it looks brand new, and you save quite a bit. They even come with boxes that are better than the factory ones (it's a more secured box that has plastic locks that hold the bottom in place very neatly). It comes with everything too, cords, remotes, instructions, down to the last extra screw that came with the factory model.

I tend to favor Samsung, I love the swivel on their stands (unless you're wall mounting of course), I've got a 46" LED and a 32" LCD, both have been great for me, so that's my choice.

As they don't carry any 60" Samsung's I would go with this one:

SAMSUNG UN55D6050 55" LED
1080P/120HZ
$1349.99

Well under your budget, enough to buy whatever else you want, and get your cords from www.monoprice.com, do not waste your money on Bestbuy's $20 HDMI cables (what a rip off). Although it's American, I've never had any custom fees, and the exchange rate is the same, delivery is about 5 work days (with USPS/Canada Post).

Last edited by FloydTheBarber: 09-09-2011 at 03:57 AM.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 03:47 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
Save your money, go with openbox.ca

http://openbox.ca/tv.htm

SONY 60NX801 60" LED
1080P/240HZ
$1799.99

Only a $100 over your budget. Don't waste your money at bestbuy or visions.

I tend to favor Samsung, I love the swivel on their stands (unless you're wall mounting of course), I've got a 46" LED and a 32" LCD, both have been great for me, so that's my choice.
I'm going to have to disagree with Sony. Possibly the worst quality TVs there are. I've had 2 in the past 10 years and both have sucked.

Samsung I agree with though.

Old
09-09-2011, 03:48 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

73inch tv for THAT price?, seems sketchy

Old
09-09-2011, 03:51 AM
nameless1
Annoying Poetry Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Why is that a reason to stay away from 3D tvs? We have a 3D which my dad NEVER watches 3D. Hates it. Still loves the TV though because you don't NEED to have 3D turned on. If you can find a 3D TV for the same price or less, it's quite simply a better deal.
I am not an expert, but from what I heard, the technology for 3-D TV is not quite there yet.
Not everything can be watched in 3-D, and it really wrecks your eyes.
Plus, if you wear glasses, it is just ridiculous to put another pair of glasses over them.

I like LEDs over plasma, because I heard they last longer and they are better for your eyes.
The benchmark is 1080 and 120, which should be enough for your needs.

Last edited by nameless1: 09-09-2011 at 04:13 AM.
nameless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 03:57 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
73inch tv for THAT price?, seems sketchy
It's not sketchy, it's just up to what you want. Bigger name or bigger tv? That's basically what it comes down too, IMO.

The reviews are middle of the pack (meaning you'll get your people that love them and your people that hate them - similar to something like Acer or Toshiba laptops - where Sharp TVs get reviews similar to Mac laptops, etc).

We have the 65'' and it's awesome. Love watching hockey on it.

They actually have an 82'' for, I think ~$2500 or so. We got our TV at Costco, but I'm not sure if they still sell them.

They are sold at Walmart (in the States, not sure about Canada), so they are obviously good enough to get into stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post
I am not an expert, but from what I heard, the technology for 3-D TV is not quite there yet.
Not everything can be watched it TV, and it really wrecks your eyes.
Plus, if you wear glasses, it is just ridiculous to put another pair of glasses over them.

I like LEDs over plasma, because I heard they last longer and they are better for your eyes.
The benchmark is 1080 and 120, which should be enough for your needs.
I have a 3-D laptop, so I know it's not quite there. But it's better than what you see in a theatre, so if you enjoy what you see in the theatre, you're going to love what you get with your TV. I have a small laptop and it blows my mind - especially since you can adjust the depth and everything.

I don't wear glasses everyday, so I'm guessing that would suck if you already wear glasses. The 3D glasses don't hurt my eyes at all though.

Gaming is also ridiculous in 3D. So many games support 3D these days.

Also, the Mitsubishi 3D tv, converts 2D into 3D (I think it mostly focuses on depth - obviously no pop-out stuff).

As for your last point - I believe Plasma is the worst. But, like anything, you will have lots of people who disagree.

Old
09-09-2011, 03:59 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

I never even heard of DLP lol

Old
09-09-2011, 04:04 AM
FloydTheBarber

Quote:
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/led-v...ma-vs-dlp.html

All I get from it, they are cheaper, but not as flat or light as the rest of them.

Old
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Yes, you have.

It's basically rear projection.

They are releasing a 92" DLP and 150'' OLED this year.

Here's a little info;

Quote:
As we mentioned in our 3D roundup, the advantage of Mitsubishi sticking to DLP technology for its HDTVs is easily seen in square inches per dollar spent, and they're going to push that even further by introducing a 92-inch HDTV in 2011. We should get our eyes on the monster and its new "Clear Contrast" screen at the CES Unveiled event tonight, but you'll excuse us if we're slightly distracted by the 155-inch OLED that will apparently be on hand from its business division.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/m...p-155-inch-ol/

Last edited by Bad Natey: 09-09-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old
nameless1
Annoying Poetry Guy

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/openb...-99-a-1026243/

On it, one of the poster claims that openbox.ca sell refurbished TVs with no warranty.
I think you should keep that in mind.

The wrecking of the eyes comes from doctors...
I don't have a link, but I heard that when 3-D TV came out, some doctors claims that they had a rise in patients.
It could be a coincidence, but for now, personally, I will stay away from 3-D TVs.

Old
09-09-2011, 04:07 AM
FloydTheBarber

Quote:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/openb...-99-a-1026243/

On it, one of the poster claims that openbox.ca sell refurbished TVs with no warranty.
I think you should keep that in mind.
They still come with the standard one year manufacturer warranty (like you get from Bestbuy or Visions), and it's not an extra charge.

Old
09-09-2011, 04:10 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
From cnet's review (73inch - ps. the rating was higher when the TV came out, but they alter it when new tvs come out);

The good: Excellent screen-size-to-price ratio; accurate color; numerous picture adjustments; plenty of connectivity including three HDMI and three component-video inputs; extremely thin bezel results in nearly "all screen" look.

The bad: Reproduces lighter black levels than flat-panel displays; some visible screen grain; deeper cabinet prevents wall-hanging; must eventually replace bulb; clunky remote and menu design.

The bottom line: The rear-projection Mitsubishi WD-737 series offers the most screen for the least money, and decent picture quality to boot.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-t...#ixzz1XROefoiY

Quote:
The wrecking of the eyes comes from doctors...
I don't have a link, but I heard that when 3-D TV came out, some doctors claims that they had a rise in patients.
It could be a coincidence, but for now, personally, I will stay away from 3-D TVs.
Fair enough - but if we listened to doctors, nutritionists, and pretty much all experts - we wouldn't be able to do anything anymore. We shouldn't eat badly - yet we do. Hell, some doctors tell you NOT to run because its bad for your body. So what can we do?

Either way, I don't get a headache. My eyes don't hurt. And my viewing experience (even if I look goofy with the glasses, lol), goes way up.

Old
09-09-2011, 04:12 AM
nameless1
Annoying Poetry Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
They still come with the standard one year manufacturer warranty (like you get from Bestbuy or Visions), and it's not an extra charge.
Cool.
Good to know.

How is your experience with the company?
How do you find the TVs and services?
This is more for my curiosity, because the prices are amazing.

Old
09-09-2011, 04:23 AM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Hmm, well you should probably let your media intake determine which technology you choose rather than price. LCDs also come in many different types; I'll include a very short list of pros and cons to each. Basically Plasmas are made by independent phosphors (think of them as pixels) that can light up in different colours therefore they generate light themselves.

While LCDs are made up of several layers; the liquid crystal layer is made up of particles that can change colour via bending light wavelengths depending on the electrical charge applied to them but this layer produces no light therefore a backlight has to be applied behind it to transmit the image to your retina and that's why there are different types of LCD's.

Plasma
PROS: Older tried and true technology, but provides the best looking image with the unrivaled blacks, colour accuracy, good pricing at larger sizes.
CONS: Heavier, slightly shorter expected life span (20-25 vs LCD's 25-30), can be affected by altitude, can display burn-in (when an image is on the screen too long, and it is retained although all plasmas since around 2008 have already solved that problem and burn-in will usually go away within 5 minutes)

CCFL LCD Cold-Cathode Fluorescent Lit LCD
PROS:Cheap, bright
CONS:Old technology, can burn out over time and after suffering abuse.

Edge-lit LED LCD The image is lit by a series of LEDs around the edge of the screen
PROS: Inexpensive, much better results than CCFL, light weight, long life expectancy,
CONS: Bad black levels.

Array LED LCD The image is lit by an array of LEDs behind the image and may be locally dimmed to produce darker blacks.
PROS: near plasma levels of black,
CONS: expensive (usually more expensive than plasmas), local dimming can cause unwanted glow as Array resolution may be too low to be truly effective (ie. a video of the dark sky with one star visible will show a very inky sky but the star would look like it's glowing with an aura since the LED behind it may light an area larger than the image is trying to show)

Personally since I consider myself a videophile; I went with the Plasma technology as it provided me with the best video experience with unrivaled black levels. Inky blacks really allow the colour to 'pop.' Samsung is probably the way to go with Plasmas, especially if you can find a 7000, 8000 series from the last model year to purchase. Panasonic VT25 and VT30 and if you can find the unicorn Pioneer Kuro are better TVs but at the sacrifice of price and in the case of Panasonic-black levels have been reported to get worse as time passes.

Callhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 04:27 AM
FloydTheBarber

Quote:
Cool.
Good to know.

How is your experience with the company?
How do you find the TVs and services?
This is more for my curiosity, because the prices are amazing.
Oh I like them, I bought the: SAMSUNG UN46D6050 46" LED, 1080P/120HZ, $899.99, about 3 months ago.

Total came to $1,007.99 after tax (at the time, at Visions and Bestbuy, the same TV would have cost me $1,400 after tax).

I purchased it from the Coquitlam outlet, which is much smaller than the Vancouver or Surrey one, so they have a much smaller selection but this is the TV I wanted and they carried it luckily. Service was great, prompt, and i just double checked, it says right on the invoice "one year manufacturer's warranty" (which is included no extra charge).

My TV runs great, I switched from a 42" 60 Hz LCD Sony (which I never really liked), to this, couldn't be happier, and with the money I saved as well.

There is always that risk of not buying exact-new, but in the end I still have the basic warranty, and I'm quite happy right now.

Old
09-09-2011, 04:37 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
When I bought a TV the last year the salesman told me that - as a rule of thumb - you do not need a bigger TV in inches than 10*[meter] you sit away from the TV. E.g. 4.2 meter away, then you should not aim for more than a 42" screen.

I found the advice rather sympathetic as I was looking for a larger screen than the one I finally bought when he approached me.

Of course one can buy a bigger one anyway, but he found it less than optimal.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 04:39 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post
Hmm, well you should probably let your media intake determine which technology you choose rather than price. LCDs also come in many different types; I'll include a very short list of pros and cons to each. Basically Plasmas are made by independent phosphors (think of them as pixels) that can light up in different colours therefore they generate light themselves.

While LCDs are made up of several layers; the liquid crystal layer is made up of particles that can change colour via bending light wavelengths depending on the electrical charge applied to them but this layer produces no light therefore a backlight has to be applied behind it to transmit the image to your retina and that's why there are different types of LCD's.

Plasma
PROS: Older tried and true technology, but provides the best looking image with the unrivaled blacks, colour accuracy, good pricing at larger sizes.
CONS: Heavier, slightly shorter expected life span (20-25 vs LCD's 25-30), can be affected by altitude, can display burn-in (when an image is on the screen too long, and it is retained although all plasmas since around 2008 have already solved that problem and burn-in will usually go away within 5 minutes)

CCFL LCD Cold-Cathode Fluorescent Lit LCD
PROS:Cheap, bright
CONS:Old technology, can burn out over time and after suffering abuse.

Edge-lit LED LCD The image is lit by a series of LEDs around the edge of the screen
PROS: Inexpensive, much better results than CCFL, light weight, long life expectancy,
CONS: Bad black levels.

Array LED LCD The image is lit by an array of LEDs behind the image and may be locally dimmed to produce darker blacks.
PROS: near plasma levels of black,
CONS: expensive (usually more expensive than plasmas), local dimming can cause unwanted glow as Array resolution may be too low to be truly effective (ie. a video of the dark sky with one star visible will show a very inky sky but the star would look like it's glowing with an aura since the LED behind it may light an area larger than the image is trying to show)

Personally since I consider myself a videophile; I went with the Plasma technology as it provided me with the best video experience with unrivaled black levels. Inky blacks really allow the colour to 'pop.' Samsung is probably the way to go with Plasmas, especially if you can find a 7000, 8000 series from the last model year to purchase. Panasonic VT25 and VT30 and if you can find the unicorn Pioneer Kuro are better TVs but at the sacrifice of price and in the case of Panasonic-black levels have been reported to get worse as time passes.
What would be the best for watching hockey?

This sharp TV is just staring me in the eye, but its only 120hz. Will i notice a blur?

Old
09-09-2011, 04:43 AM
JustinW

Quote:
Hello everybody, I need some advice on buying a new TV for my living room.

I currently have a 50inch old tube, garbage TV in my living room, and I thought to myself, that it's time to retire the thing.

I wanna get a minimum 60inch TV, but I am curious about a few things.

I use it mostly for TV and Sports, Wont be gaming much on it.

Should I go plasma or Led?, Or even LCD (minimum 120hz).

I looked on visions, and there were a few solid TVs out there, but I wanna keep the budget around 1700$ and under.

What do you guys suggest I should buy, and where should i buy it? (I live in Vancouver)

Thanks.

PS - I will delete this thread after a few pages of responses, Thanks VC mods =).
I own both plasma and LCD at home. For sports I would recommend getting a Plasma because I believe the refresh rate is much higher on those. I don't know about current models but the refresh rate on my plasma from 2 years ago is 600hz. My friend bought a sony a few years back and the refresh rate on that one was like 240hz and even at that rate you could see the motion blur. If your watching hockey you can see the motion blur even at 240, but basketball and football was fine with that.

JustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 06:02 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinW View Post
I own both plasma and LCD at home. For sports I would recommend getting a Plasma because I believe the refresh rate is much higher on those. I don't know about current models but the refresh rate on my plasma from 2 years ago is 600hz. My friend bought a sony a few years back and the refresh rate on that one was like 240hz and even at that rate you could see the motion blur. If your watching hockey you can see the motion blur even at 240, but basketball and football was fine with that.
Not quite. Once you get past 120Hz there is no actual motion blur happening on screen. There's a paper out there by Samsung researchers that talks about this, but basically it's our brains inability to handle the way that most LCDs light up the pixels that makes it seem like there's a motion blur.

I know Samsung TVs have a bunch of extra features to work around that problem and other companies might too. The TVs response time will also play a role, although most of the new ones are fast enough that it won't make a difference.

Re: plasmas, keep in mind that if you game for long periods of time and don't watch too much TV in between, you might end up dealing with burn-in (temporary) quite often since a lot of games have persistent HUD elements. New panels are pretty resistant but it's still a problem if you're a serious gamer.

Last edited by Tiranis: 09-09-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 09:44 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
I'm going to have to disagree with Sony. Possibly the worst quality TVs there are. I've had 2 in the past 10 years and both have sucked.

Samsung I agree with though.
This. The only 2 people I know who had new plasmas (under 5 years old) blow out in the last 3 months, both had Sony's.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote