HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

9/10 Traverse City Prospects Tournament Game 1: New York vs. St. Louis (7PM EST, MSG)

Old
09-11-2011, 07:52 AM
azrok22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
He and his agent said they were concerned about Erixon not getting an opportunity in Calgary this year and being sent down to Abbotsford. I don't know how true that is, or if he just didn't want to play in Calgary.
Just don't ask the Flames forum why Erixon wouldn't sign. According to some, it involves secret backroom dealings between the Rangers and Jan Erixon (Tim's father). Given the U.S.-Canada-Sweden angle, the C.I.A. also may have been involved.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
Erixon and Parlett were the standouts, i was really impressed by Yogan, Miller, and McIlrath too. Thomas was quiet but i don't drink the kool-aid on him so i'm not exactly surprised. very excited for game 2 and to see what Parlett can do throughout this tournament
actually Thomas looked good, made some nice moves, good passes. He did'nt dissapoint me. Bourque was very fast, Hagelin seems pretty close. Erixon and Parlett def stood out on D. McIlrath wasnt awesome but not bad either

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:31 AM
NYRantLftyC19

My 2 cents:

Erixon looks ready for the NYR bottom pairing, as well as first PP duties... he was just so calm and poised with the puck, and even with very little time to make a decision with the puck, he made great passes to keep the PP flowing and dangerous. We really havn't had anyone on the point of our PP who could both pass and whose shot could be a weapon since Shanahan/Kotalik (he couldn't pass and wasn't mobile on the point though)..? I think Erixon will fit right in alongside Richards though...

For all those people defending Yogan, i agree... Sure he missed an open net and got stoned in two other instances... but i saw a player that is fast and strong on his skates, actually uses his size effectively in puck control and positioning, can see the ice and make good passes, and has the ability to read the play and get open. He goes to the front of the net, plays the boards well,, and even when gaining the offensive zone he will try the middle of the ice before the perimeter... i was impressed for a guy that barely developed last season...

Loved PArlett's mobility.. i didn't focus on his defensive game as much, cause sometimes i couldn't tell who was playing D, but when he had the puck he made good rushes and good passes. He seemed stable and confident back there... nothing much to say that hasn't already been said..

McIlrath was impressive considering where i thought he would be at this point. He has a decent offensive game which he can develop, made some good breakout passes (and some not so good ones), is not afraid to shoot, and i saw a couple of good hits. But i think, as someone said earlier, his skating needs to improve a bit, especially in the mobility of his hips. You look at a guy like Parlett skate and shift his body to defend and pass, and then i saw McIlrath do a fake slap pass from the point, but it fooled no one really because he had to turn his entire body rather slowly to make the pass, rather than fooling the defender with his his legs and hips and making the pass with his upper body... I really do notice the stiffness in his east-west skating. Stuff like this is easy to work on though, and i think in 2-3 years he will be a very good dman.. He seems to have great leadership and character, and has all the physical, raw tools you need, including a mind that is willing to learn and apply, but you can see he needs work in many areas.

Borque, i thought, was the smartest player out on the ice. Really reminded me a Callahan.. he has awesome wheels and tenacity, is offensively skilled, and probably our best defensive forward... I feel bad for him though because it doesn't look like he will be able to take the punishing style of the NHL.. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but if he's not eventually traded from the NYR, i could see him becoming a career AHL star and even captain of the Whale... I can't see him making the team if the foreseeable future though, despite how impressive he was.

Cant really comment on Hagelin much.. he's one of my favorite prospects, so maybe my expectations were really high, but i thought i would see more from him. His speed and mental game was great, he had that great snipe.. but i think i need to see more of him before i draw any conclusions.

NYRantLftyC19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Who's ready for game 2 tonight!?!? Jack Campbell is gonna be tough!

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:37 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Beach vs McNaught.

Damn, I want to see the highlights...

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:40 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Im excited for the game tonight.

Just want to see them more comfortable and shed the rust from a long summer.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

5-2 against 8-2. They have Jack Campbell. Tonights game should be excellent, whether we win or lose, I'm looking forward to a lot stiffer competition that will bring out the best (or worst) of our prospects. Tonights game is a good measuring stick.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:47 AM
NYRantLftyC19

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cON View Post
Beach vs McNaught.

Damn, I want to see the highlights...
I love the way McNaught fights... not just this one, but from all the youtube videos i saw of his fights.. it looks like each of his punches carry alot of force and weight... like he draws his right shoulder back, and then his punch comes with the momentum of his legs, hips, back, and shoulder... he is a fighter that is very stable on his skates, compared to guys we've had like Voros and Boogard. When i watched him deliver hits in the corners or stand in front of the net, i thought to myself this 7th round pick/enforcer is clearly a better skater than Jessiman lol. Maybe he can replace Rupp in three years... or atleast find himself as a 13th forward we use when we play Philly or Toronto or whichever team will have a fighter, if that is still the case in 3 years...

NYRantLftyC19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Anyone know where I can watch the highlights. I missed it, and know it's playing on MSG at 11, but I don't have that much time right now

Tanner Glass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:52 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post
Anyone know where I can watch the highlights. I missed it, and know it's playing on MSG at 11, but I don't have that much time right now

Waiting too bro!! Maybe someone can record the game @ 11 and up it for us that we can download it...

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Just don't ask the Flames forum why Erixon wouldn't sign. According to some, it involves secret backroom dealings between the Rangers and Jan Erixon (Tim's father). Given the U.S.-Canada-Sweden angle, the C.I.A. also may have been involved.
Truth to be told, after, among other, the Omark fiasco in EDM, the Canadian orgs has a pretty bad rep over here among the players. Or any org that doesn't show that they believe in a player.

I mean, there can be a tremendous difference between being drafted by org x and org y.

I mean if you have a option 2-3 month away, if that's your right, why go to a place like Calgary that might not fit you under the cap no matter what, have a roster that sucks, that have a rebuild infront of them etc.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 08:57 AM
MSG the place to be*

Gap control? Really, we talkin about gap control?

That's like watching football and complaining about the receivers route running even though he's a physical beast and snagging balls left and right. It's a fabrication just so you can pin a negative on the kid.

I'm not saying McIlrath is a perfect player by any means. But up until last night for many fans he was a figment of your imagination. Now you see that the kid is a legitimate hockey player and not just some fighter. You want to talk about weaknesses, #87 (He who shall not be named) and Niemi and Noreau displayed weaknesses. McIlrath was just fine.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:04 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
I'm going off to bed, I'm tired. What I gathered from tonight's game:

Tim Erixon - Man! I love this kid! He played outstanding tonight. He has the whole package: Hockey sense, hockey IQ, patience, vision, and a great shot. He is the real deal. Had a goal and an assist tonight, am I surprised? NO.

Christian Thomas - Speedy little ****er. All over the ice tonight, puck possessed very well and was robbed of 3 assists by Yogan/Jake Allen. Has moves, speed, and a sick shot. Only knock on him is his strength.

Andrew Yogan - Played a very strong game tonight. Although he didn't score, he seemed to be in the right place at the right time, which is very important. He had good board play and possession, just couldn't seem to find the back of the net, but everyone has bad days.

Blake Parlett - Wow, what a pleasant surprise. When he signed, he did an interview with BluelineStation and said he models his game after Dan Girardi, the kid wasn't lying. Played a solid, non-flashy, get it done kind of game tonight. Confident, patient, and had poise. If he keeps this play up, I can't find a reason why he wouldn't be invited to camp.

Carl Hagelin - Fast, strong, and poised. Had a goal tonight and seemed to have good chemistry with Rust, his Michigan linemate. If he keeps up his play from tonight, he'll have a very good shot at cracking the line-up and knocking someone else down to the Whale.

Ryan Bourque - Man I feel bad for this kid. Why? He is the real deal, but his size goes against him. He is one tenacious little ****er out there. He was all over the ice, never slowing down his motor, takes after Ryan Callahan. The IQ is there, the hockey sense is there, and the talent and drive is there. If he had size, he's be a surefire NHLer. Can't wait to see more of him. Scored a shorthanded goal tonight.

Those are my thoughts. Thoughts?
Agree with pretty much everything.

I like Bourque a lot and I think hes going to make it, but im not sure if it will be with the Rangers.

Hagelin thinks the game well, as does Miller, but Millers got a ways to go. The kids who are going to make noise in camp are definitely going to do just that. I love how CT drives to the net every chance he gets. Cant wait to see him cutting down the wing in a NHL preseason game.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Regarding those earlier posts about Gernander:

The Rangers are obviously an organization that puts (finally) an emphasis on player development.

Do you think that they would trust their best young players to a coach who was not doing a good job in that regard?

For the most part, when our young players come up to the NHL, they're ready mentally and physically to play.

Just wondering whether those of you who were anti-Drury and anti-Renney are also anti-Gernander. Drury, Renney, and Gernander are all quieter, more cerebral, kind of leaders. And while having a more fiery and emotional leader (Torts, Cally when it comes to emotion) is a time-tested leadership type, and often just what a team needs, quiet leadership is also a time-tested and successful type.

Gernander, though he might not seem the most forceful type (what did you guys want, him cursing and throwing chairs?) is obviously doing a good job and in trusted by Sather, Gordie Clark, and Torts. Leave the guy be. Sure not all players in CT have developed, but in those cases, like EG, the fault was surely with the player and not with the coach.
I think Gernander works with his due diligence when it comes to preparing these kids for the NHL. Thats good.

But, is he the best man for the job? I cannot see why he would be that, nor have I really seen any indication of it...

Slats really soured on Ryan McGill (that was his name, right?). Because McGill wouldn't take orders from NY, he wanted to get results and NY wanted Ds in HFD to be allowed to move the puck up ice so that they would develop.

If there is 300 professional coaches outside the NHL -- who runs the best practices? I doubt it's Gernander. Or that he is top in any area. His priorities are probably ok though...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Agree with pretty much everything.

I like Bourque a lot and I think hes going to make it, but im not sure if it will be with the Rangers.

Hagelin thinks the game well, as does Miller, but Millers got a ways to go. The kids who are going to make noise in camp are definitely going to do just that. I love how CT drives to the net every chance he gets. Cant wait to see him cutting down the wing in a NHL preseason game.
I can't wait to see CT on a line with stepan or anisimov in camp. 2 guys that bury the chances he gave yogan and more importantly 2 guys that can put the puck on HIS stick for a scoring chance something yogan didn't do once last night. For a guy who wants to model his game after Joe Thornton he didn't make ONE play for his wingers last night. Not a fan.

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:25 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
I can't wait to see CT on a line with stepan or anisimov in camp. 2 guys that bury the chances he gave yogan and more importantly 2 guys that can put the puck on HIS stick for a scoring chance something yogan didn't do once last night. For a guy who wants to model his game after Joe Thornton he didn't make ONE play for his wingers last night. Not a fan.

He was the LW on that line. Miller was the center.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
He was the LW on that line. Miller was the center.
Yogan is a natural center just because he was on the wing doesn't mean he's not supposed to set his linemates up especially If he wants to be Joe thornton. Thomas was setting up everybody fdrom the wing. Ud expect yogan to bring some of that since clearly goal scoring isn't his thing

Old
09-11-2011, 09:43 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Yogan is a natural center just because he was on the wing doesn't mean he's not supposed to set his linemates up especially If he wants to be Joe thornton. Thomas was setting up everybody fdrom the wing. Ud expect yogan to bring some of that since clearly goal scoring isn't his thing
From what I saw in the last two periods, Yogan and Miller worked the boards and went to the net, creating space for Thomas. It could very be that Yogan ends up at LW because his playmaking ability is suspect. However, he's got good size, and he's fairly strong on the puck. Considering the centers already in the organization, if develops into a solid LW, I'll be satisfied. We're talking about a 4th round pick.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
actually Thomas looked good, made some nice moves, good passes. He did'nt dissapoint me. Bourque was very fast, Hagelin seems pretty close. Erixon and Parlett def stood out on D. McIlrath wasnt awesome but not bad either
Yeah, despite not scoring, I liked what I saw out of Thomas. He made some of the best offensive plays with those two passes to Yogan, and had some good shots. I didn't really notice him being deficient in the defensive zone but it's a little tough to tell cuz St Louis didn't get a lot of pressure. Plays like a sniper but could stand to get the puck on his stick more often.

Gernander didn't seem to want to use him or his line as the first unit PP which is strange to me, but who knows with Gernander.

Quote:

i watch alot of junior hockey and i will tell you this and i will use brandon gormley as an example here. mcilrath is way behind a guy like gormley when it comes to reads, angles and skating. gormley does all that much better. hes not the animal that mcilrath is for sure but hes more solid in the basics of playing defense.
Eh, but Gormley's claim to fame is that he is an extremely smart player, so it's a little unfair to compare McIlrath to him, when McIlrath is still supposedly learning. Still, I agree with you to some extent. McIlrath needs to get better at some of his positioning and learning to read the play. But...it wasn't horrible either, for the most part. I think it's definitely something that can be worked on and you see guys improve that kind of stuff as their career goes on.

I think he's definitely 2 years away at least but I still see a chance for him to be a bigger meaner Girardi, which would be pretty damn good value. I think part of his stiffness and somewhat inconsistent skating is that he so obviously has lots of room to grow into his body and just isn't totally there yet. Gotta keep working on that, but he's not bad. I thought his puck skills were pretty good and he showed enough there that he looked better than your average 3rd pairing tough

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:44 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post

That's like watching football and complaining about the receivers route running even though he's a physical beast and snagging balls left and right. It's a fabrication just so you can pin a negative on the kid.

I'm not saying McIlrath is a perfect player by any means. But up until last night for many fans he was a figment of your imagination. Now you see that the kid is a legitimate hockey player and not just some fighter. You want to talk about weaknesses, #87 (He who shall not be named) and Niemi and Noreau displayed weaknesses. McIlrath was just fine.
Who is "he who shall not be named"?

Old
09-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
From what I saw in the last two periods, Yogan and Miller worked the boards and went to the net, creating space for Thomas. It could very be that Yogan ends up at LW because his playmaking ability is suspect. However, he's got good size, and he's fairly strong on the puck. Considering the centers already in the organization, if develops into a solid LW, I'll be satisfied. We're talking about a 4th round pick.
Your right he looks like a 4th round pick. Can't score zero vision. Hes big and skates well. Jason Ward at best. I've seen enough.

And gernander was favoring guys he felt might be in Hartford. Parlett erixon hagelin niemi bourque JAM all played plenty. He should have had Thomas on the first PP unit he was clearly the most dangerous player with the puck.

Old
09-11-2011, 09:52 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Just because a player is a "natural center" doesn't mean he needs to be a distributor.

Don't think you know what you're talking about.

Yogan played a good game. He did the things he normally does. Goes to the net, plays strong on the boards, plays a physical game.

And goal scoring isn't his thing because he didn't score in one game? I guess scoring isn't Thomas' thing, either.

Old
09-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post

actually, im going to have to disagree with you on this....McIlraths gap control actually DID stand out to me as being...well, sketchy at best....other than that i was pretty happy with his game.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:56 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Your right he looks like a 4th round pick. Can't score zero vision. Hes big and skates well. Jason Ward at best. I've seen enough.

And gernander was favoring guys he felt might be in Hartford. Parlett erixon hagelin niemi bourque JAM all played plenty. He should have had Thomas on the first PP unit he was clearly the most dangerous player with the puck.
You've seen him play one game, you've seen enough?

Old
09-11-2011, 09:56 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Who is "he who shall not be named"?
Ceresnak, I think.

McDonagh is online now   Reply With Quote