HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

9/10 Traverse City Prospects Tournament Game 1: New York vs. St. Louis (7PM EST, MSG)

Old
09-11-2011, 11:11 AM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

vCash: 500
I just watched the game on DVR and let me tell ya, that Jonathan Audy Marchessault looked very sharp last night. I think he has a future with the big club and will challenge for a roster spot.

Great pick up by Gordie and Slats

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:35 AM
statsguy10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
actually, im going to have to disagree with you on this....McIlraths gap control actually DID stand out to me as being...well, sketchy at best....other than that i was pretty happy with his game.
- maybe I'm confused about gap control, because I watched him regularly knock the puck off forward's sticks during the game with that ridiculous reach of his. Plus he forced two offsides by standing up the puck carrier on the blue line. Are you saying he keeps his gaps too tight, or too loose? If you provide a specific example it would help.

statsguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Can someone make a thread for game 2 tonight?

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Blazephr

"Gap control".....*insert Beavis laugh*

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:09 PM
dynamoovechkin

Really pleasantly surprised with what I saw from our prospects. My first time seeing Thomas, Parlett, Audy-Marchessault, etc.

Tim Erixon is a bonafide NHLer. Book it.
Blake Parlett was the best player on the ice IMO. His stock is on the rise.
Christian Thomas while maybe not NHL ready has a high hockey IQ with a skill set to match. Should have a long productive career.
Ryan Bourque- nifty creative little forward with great speed, but sadly he will probably never crack our roster for size and durability reasons. I really like the kid and wish there was a way, but I just don't see it happening. Trade him now while his stock is high and he can get us something in return.
JT Miller- Showed flashes, now I see why we drafted the kid. Still 2 years away possibly.
JAM- Liked what I saw, seemed to stand out at times in a good way. Good pickup for us.
Hagelin- Heart and soul type but maybe undersized. He will find a way into the league though, just not ready now.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:22 PM
msv957

Something tells me that if Yogan was a first round pick there would be glowing reviews on this board today. However, since he was a 4th round pick there are mixed reviews. I thought he looked very noticeable and was probably the best player out there.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Something tells me that if Yogan was a first round pick there would be glowing reviews on this board today. However, since he was a 4th round pick there are mixed reviews. I thought he looked very noticeable and was probably the best player out there.
No, I and some others wrote that he played a very good game, he just couldn't find the back of the net. Read my review on him a page or two back.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

I'm not certain why everybody is so down on Bourque's size. He plays a terrific game, skates circles around his competition, and lets not forget he's not old enough to order a beer. There's plenty of time for the kid to put on another 15 pounds in muscle. In a year or two, I'd love to see the kid on our third line.

He's still bigger than Zucc.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0flames View Post
I'm not certain why everybody is so down on Bourque's size. He plays a terrific game, skates circles around his competition, and lets not forget he's not old enough to order a beer. There's plenty of time for the kid to put on another 15 pounds in muscle. In a year or two, I'd love to see the kid on our third line.

He's still bigger than Zucc.
Yes, but he has had 2 or 3 concussions already and he is not old enough to order a beer Size is an issue.

Old
09-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

I'll also make a video of the five Rangers goals, but wanted to see first if there are any other highlights (other than the fight since there's already a video of it) that people want included.

Lady Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 12:56 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Wait...did I miss Big Mac and Maloney calling each other dudes?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Blazephr

Erixon had primary assist on Hagelin's PP goal. they(box score) gave to Parlett by mistake. Erixon,Parlett...not Parlett,McColgan

Old
09-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsguy10 View Post
- maybe I'm confused about gap control, because I watched him regularly knock the puck off forward's sticks during the game with that ridiculous reach of his. Plus he forced two offsides by standing up the puck carrier on the blue line. Are you saying he keeps his gaps too tight, or too loose? If you provide a specific example it would help.
too loose, on more than 1 occasion he let a player skate right into the high slot for a shot because he kept backing in.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:11 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Thought NYR could have really blown this game up. Jake Allen played an incredible game and a couple of defensive lapses lead to two goals the other way early on. This game could have easily been an 10-0 route!

Nice playing #NYRProspects

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:12 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsequalscup View Post
LOL. Getting chances and blowing them does not mean you played a good game. It means you played an incompetent game. Learn the difference. Yogan was a bumbling idiot out there.
Having the goalie rob you point blank twice is not an incompetent game...learn the difference b/t a save and a miss maybe. He was average because he couldn't bury the puck but you're a fool if you allow yourself to be blinded to the fact that he was good. Give me the guy who puts himself in position to score three times and gets robbed twice over the guys making mistakes and doing their best to imitate a ghost. I thought he'd bury those chances coming in. He did in the AHL with his cup of coffee so I know he can. Amazing how many people don't know how toc redit goalies for great saves. Also amazing that nobody is offering any real critique like "His shot was too low, he held the puck too long, he skated into the goalie before shooting, he fumbled the pass..." any of those would sound like you actually know what you're talking about but labeling a save a miss does not. He had the one miss but not three.

St. Croix I noticed in the 1st and never again. Everyone has said all there is to say about CT, Hagelin, Bourque, Erixon, Parlett. Bourque stood out to me as much as I could have thought possible. CT looked like he was mentally and physically ahead of both teams.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:13 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
How was Jon Audy-Marchessault?
He looks like a PAP part2

Old
09-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
He looks like a PAP part2
He does look a little like PAP. But then, so does Zuccarello, in a way.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Faxius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vengeance View Post
I'll also make a video of the five Rangers goals, but wanted to see first if there are any other highlights (other than the fight since there's already a video of it) that people want included.
I would be very interested in seeing a few good plays by Erixon and McIlrath.

Faxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:16 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
Having the goalie rob you point blank twice is not an incompetent game...learn the difference b/t a save and a miss maybe. He was average because he couldn't bury the puck but you're a fool if you allow yourself to be blinded to the fact that he was good. Give me the guy who puts himself in position to score three times and gets robbed twice over the guys making mistakes and doing their best to imitate a ghost. I thought he'd bury those chances coming in. He did in the AHL with his cup of coffee so I know he can. Amazing how many people don't know how toc redit goalies for great saves. Also amazing that nobody is offering any real critique like "His shot was too low, he held the puck too long, he skated into the goalie before shooting, he fumbled the pass..." any of those would sound like you actually know what you're talking about but labeling a save a miss does not. He had the one miss but not three.

St. Croix I noticed in the 1st and never again. Everyone has said all there is to say about CT, Hagelin, Bourque, Erixon, Parlett. Bourque stood out to me as much as I could have thought possible. CT looked like he was mentally and physically ahead of both teams.
Yogan also had some chances, one particularly on from the near side in the 1st period where the top half of the net was open and he put it clear over the net. It's one game, he's got more to show what he can do. We'll see what happens.

I really liked what I saw from Thomas, fearless, went into the corners, dodged defenders, came out with the puck, made plays. I liked it a lot.

Old
09-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Where can i find videos of the goals?

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Blazephr

Quote:
too loose, on more than 1 occasion he let a player skate right into the high slot for a shot because he kept backing in.
I watched the game again this afternoon & kept a close eye on #73. I did not see ANY gap control issues, at all. Blues forwards made 1 or 2 nice moves into the slot area. Didn't matter who was there on D. The only miscues I saw were early on in the 1st period & that was due to miscommunication with his D-partner on getting the puck out of the zone efficiently & nerves got the best of him. Then in the 2nd period...he quickly iced the puck when he had options for possible break-outs. I thought he needed to show patience with the puck and try not to get discombobulated in those situations.

Last edited by Blazephr: 09-11-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old
09-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
How was Jon Audy-Marchessault?
I thought he played pretty well, personally. Nice set of hands and a good sense of surroundings. Should be a great addition for Connecticut. He seems to be lacking in foot speed, however, a lot like Parenteau/Zuccarello.

Quote:
i can only speak for myself, but I felt like Parlett was the best Ranger tonight in all aspects of the game. I was absolutely shocked with how well the kid played out there. Holy Mackrel where the hell did he come from.
Completely agree, his game was incredibly well rounded. Fantastic pickup by the scouting staff, I would not be surprised to see him challenge for that 5th/6th spot with MDZ, Erixon, and Valentenko, given the fact that we could use his offensive skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsequalscup View Post
Players who get chances and don't finish, don't make the NHL. The are career AHL players who put up good numbers in the AHL. So to me, Yogan was not impressive. Also, take into account he's playing against goalies who are either not NHL ready or simply aren't any good.
Seems like a bit of an oxymoron, wouldn't you say? Bottom line: Yogan was in the middle of play, getting scoring chances. Yes, it would have been great for him to finish these chances, but as long as he's creating space and chances on the ice, he played well, and that's exactly what he was doing last night. He had a very good showing, especially for a player who has missed as much time as he has.

09-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Trade MDZ, 5 and 6 are Erixon and Parlett :sarcastic:

Old
09-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Trade MDZ, 5 and 6 are Erixon and Parlett :sarcastic:

Old
09-11-2011, 03:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If fanning on opportunities made you a career AHLer, Ryan Callahan and Brandon Dubinsky would not be in our top 6.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote