HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Benn or Penner

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-10-2011, 04:39 AM
  #1
Auger
Registered User
 
Auger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,879
vCash: 500
Benn or Penner

So im in a rotisserie league with 6 of my good buddies, and I have a bit of a dilemma. I have to drop either Benn or Penner for a D-man. Our league takes into account +/-, goals, assists, shp, ppp, gwg, and pim. I am worried that if I keep Benn he'd burn me with a ****** +/-, but I do believe that he will outscore Penner next year. What would you guys do? and what D-man would you recommend.

Available guys:

Karlsson
Jack Johnson
Suter
Enstrom
Markov

Thanks

Auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 05:18 AM
  #2
stefanh
Registered User
 
stefanh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gothenburg
Posts: 1,250
vCash: 500
I'd still go with Benn

Really hard with the D there.... I'd prolly take Enström but Markov if you feel like gambling.

stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2011, 06:50 AM
  #3
hail alfie
Registered User
 
hail alfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Benn
never been a fan of penner

enstrom
johnson
karlsson
markov
suter

in that order

hail alfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 09:20 AM
  #4
CovertTFL
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
As you count +/- your safest bet is Suter. My league has the exact same scoring format as yours (minus pim), and Suter generated 63 points last season. Karlsson was -30 last year on a sens team that has not improved at all. Enstrom and Johnson also had very terrible +/- (Enstrom in 2010/11 had a final fantasy value below 30, while Karlsson and Johnson had values below 20). Markov is a huge risk due to injury but his top-end is the highest of all 5 defencement (80 points). If your looking to gamble, go for him.

Conserning forwards, go for Penner.

CovertTFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 08:42 AM
  #5
Hutzler
Registered User
 
Hutzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,146
vCash: 500
Benner

Hutzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:25 AM
  #6
Legendary319
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
So im in a rotisserie league with 6 of my good buddies, and I have a bit of a dilemma. I have to drop either Benn or Penner for a D-man. Our league takes into account +/-, goals, assists, shp, ppp, gwg, and pim. I am worried that if I keep Benn he'd burn me with a ****** +/-, but I do believe that he will outscore Penner next year. What would you guys do? and what D-man would you recommend.

Available guys:

Karlsson
Jack Johnson
Suter
Enstrom
Markov

Thanks
LA PP is way crowded between Kopitar-M.Richards-Doughty- then two of Jack Johnson (likely manning opposite point of Doughty) Dustin Brown, Justin Williams, Gagne, and then finally Penner so I don't see him getting top PP duties over all 4 of them given they all have superior offensive skill-sets which severely deflates his value. Benn on the otherhand is 35+G-80PT talent plus Ribiero and Eriksson both quality playmaking forwards to help cash in on his goal scoring ability and a legit PP quarterback in Goligoski finally in the mix. Benn will be considerably better than Penner this season as 30G-60 pts is what he get's on a bad year which is what Penner will get best case scenario. Benn is strong defensively and poised to play C this season which will allow him to make the most of that so I don't expect his +/- to be that terrible as compared to a guy like a Booth or a Weiss on FLA for instance without both a solid netminder (unlike in the case with DAL with Lehtonen) and weak defensive capabilities also unlike Benn. Benn I would easily take over Penner no question, both in a one year or keeper setting.

Legendary319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:39 AM
  #7
MajorPain
Registered User
 
MajorPain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
Keep Benn.

MajorPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:50 AM
  #8
parineum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary319 View Post
LA PP is way crowded between Kopitar-M.Richards-Doughty- then two of Jack Johnson (likely manning opposite point of Doughty) Dustin Brown, Justin Williams, Gagne, and then finally Penner so I don't see him getting top PP duties over all 4 of them given they all have superior offensive skill-sets which severely deflates his value. Benn on the otherhand is 35+G-80PT talent plus Ribiero and Eriksson both quality playmaking forwards to help cash in on his goal scoring ability and a legit PP quarterback in Goligoski finally in the mix. Benn will be considerably better than Penner this season as 30G-60 pts is what he get's on a bad year which is what Penner will get best case scenario. Benn is strong defensively and poised to play C this season which will allow him to make the most of that so I don't expect his +/- to be that terrible as compared to a guy like a Booth or a Weiss on FLA for instance without both a solid netminder (unlike in the case with DAL with Lehtonen) and weak defensive capabilities also unlike Benn. Benn I would easily take over Penner no question, both in a one year or keeper setting.
Penner will likely be on the #1 PP unit. The way Terry Murray ran the PP last year involved planting a big body in front of the net. The players he usually went with were Smyth, Handzus and Penner. Unless the PP strategy is changed then I expect Penner to be getting quite a bit of PP time.

parineum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 09:05 PM
  #9
Legendary319
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parineum View Post
Penner will likely be on the #1 PP unit. The way Terry Murray ran the PP last year involved planting a big body in front of the net. The players he usually went with were Smyth, Handzus and Penner. Unless the PP strategy is changed then I expect Penner to be getting quite a bit of PP time.
and you had no one close to the level of Mike Richards in the mix so last year makes no difference.

It's gonna be Kopitar-M.Richards-Doughty-J.Johnson and then one of Gagne, Brown, Williams, or Penner and the front runner in that group is likely Brown assuming he showcase any appreciable amount of chemistry with either M.Richards or Kopitar this season and should Gagne play anywhere near his capacity then he is far any way the best winger from a skill-set standpoint. Williams is the second most skilled but his level has dropped from CAR days post ACL reconstruction. Penner got PP time because M.Richards was not there and both one of Brown or Williams could be utilized along with Penner which will not be the case with Richards now in the mix. Regardless best case scenario Penner goes 30G-60 which is absolute bare minimum Benn puts up plus heavy PIM on top of it so it's Benn easily for me over Penner.

Legendary319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.